• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic season 5 |OT| 100+ episodes and better than ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
4.PNG

entirely accurate depiction of a Celestia fan vs. Luna fan.

So what? Are overweight ponies not suppose to exist or something?

We've had overweight ponies. We haven't had morbidity obese ponies played for laughs.

Awesome episode. Rarity needed to assert herself more. At least she accomplished her dream of a Canterlot boutique...except that she also dreamed of living there. Oh well, can't hurt the status quo too much.

Sorry for any problems with the synch today.

That was an amazing episode that went in a direction I didn't expect. I know everyone was predicting an episode about Rarity getting lonely without her friends, but instead it was about her creativity being stifled by attempts at giving everyone what they thought they wanted. I was also expecting perhaps Rarity becoming uncomfortable with the competition of the fashion world, so I was quite happy that Rarity decided to keep the store open. That said, Shokugeki no Soma / Food Wars makes me think that Rarity getting legitimate competition and being pushed creatively would make for a good episode premise.

While it is true that Rarity's dream was once to live in Canterlot, she has much more cause to stay in Ponyville than at the start of the series, and this episode did demonstrate that it's not necessary for her to leave to open a new shop. That reminds me, I liked how Twilight was used in this episode. I wonder if Twilight polling as the most popular princess is meant to reflect reality

I was also glad that Sassy was kept around in the end. The episode was making it seem like she was intentionally trying to steal Rarity's fame, when I thought it seemed more like she was just trying to make the shop successful after her previous shops failed. And indeed, that's the direction they went with in the end.

The song was quite good. I wasn't feeling it at first, but just like "Art of the Dress", it gets better when the tone changes. I can't help but think this episode is trying to say something about the cartoon making business, just like "Suited For Success". Rarity is forced to make the same thing over and over again, assured that this is the key to success, but it stifles her creativity and the thing she's making will inevitably go out of style. Once she's allowed some variety in her dresses and the freedom to innovate, sales don't drop and they're on a more stable foundation.

The random pony designs were pretty good in this episode. I mentioned before that I didn't like how Sassy looked in the screen shots, but I thought she looked a bit better in the episode itself. My favorite new design was probably the pony wearing the Celestia dress posted above.

I will agree, one odd thing was the fat pony at the end. The last gag of Rarity and Sassy saying no was just meant to be about yet another customer asking for the Twilight dress, but it could also come off as a joke about there not being any dresses for a pony that fat. It's especially odd because there was another fat character with the same color scheme, but smaller, earlier in the scene.

draetenth

Pretty solid episode. That fat pony at the end was really out of place for this show though.

Agree with both sentences. I did enjoy the song and the variety of ponies (the one wearing the luna dress, the one wearing the the celestia dress, the stallion that was for the magazine and his facial expressions stood out).

The absurdly fat pony was odd and Sassy's design didn't quite grow on me (something about the design bugs me - I don't really like the design on Cadence either).

It was odd that Rarity took so long to speak up to Sassy. I mean Rarity is supposed to be the boss.

I will agree, one odd thing was the fat pony at the end. The last gag of Rarity and Sassy saying no was just meant to be about yet another customer asking for the Twilight dress, but it could also come off as a joke about there not being any dresses for a pony that fat. It's especially odd because there was another fat character with the same color scheme, but smaller, earlier in the scene.

Yeah, I agree with this

PaulloDEC

Great episode, really enjoyed it. Like "Suited for Success", it actually addressed a bunch ofvery real issues that creative people (successful creative people, specifically) face in the real world; the risks of putting others in charge of your work, dealing with success versus creative integrity, giving people what they want as opposed to showing them something they don't know they want yet, etc.

I like that Sassy was actually a very savvy manager, too. Perhaps she was a little too good at her job and not quite good enough at actually being an employee.

Great to see so many new background ponies too. I can tell a bunch of them are going to end up as fan favourites.

Finally, I liked the song too. I don't really have a good sense of it after a single listen, but I think it'll definitely be a grower.

If I had any complaints, it'd be that Pinkie is kinda back in "lol random" mode here. Could've done with a little less of that.

Pretty solid episode. That fat pony at the end was really out of place for this show though.

Seriously, what the hell was that? Why do that? It wasn't funny, it was just weird and out-of-place. Why not use a regular pony?

So what? Are overweight ponies not suppose to exist or something?

Up until this point, I'd have argued that no, they probably don't exist. We've seen precisely one "large" pony AFAIK, and he's a massively ripped dude, not overweight.

It just seems kinda weird and uncool, frankly, to have a scenario where the very first overweight character we see (who also seems deliberately designed to look unattractive, with a goofy-ass cutie mark and rubbish mane) shows up asking if a dress is available, only to be gleefully told "No!"

I'm kinda wondering if that character is just some weird and ill-judged inside-joke with the creators.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Up until this point, I'd have argued that no, they probably don't exist. We've seen precisely one "large" pony AFAIK, and he's a massively ripped dude, not overweight.

It just seems kinda weird and uncool, frankly, to have a scenario where the very first overweight character we see (who also seems deliberately designed to look unattractive, with a goofy-ass cutie mark and rubbish mane) shows up asking if a dress is available, only to be gleefully told "No!"

I'm kinda wondering if that character is just some weird and ill-judged inside-joke with the creators.

Well, we have had the fat pony in Cheerilee's class, but he's just another background character for the most part, who occasionally wears a fez. There's also Mrs. Cake, who is definitely chubbier than the other ponies. Though, I've always suspected that Mr. and Mrs. Cake's designs were inspired by Mr. and Mrs. Weasley from the Harry Potter series.

But we've never had a character who's defining characteristic is being fat and ugly.

PaulloDEC

Well, we have had the fat pony in Cheerilee's class, but he's just another background character for the most part, who occasionally wears a fez. There's also Mrs. Cake, who is definitely chubbier than the other ponies. Though, I've always suspected that Mr. and Mrs. Cake's designs were inspired by Mr. and Mrs. Weasley from the Harry Potter series.

But we've never had a character who's defining characteristic is being fat and ugly.

Oh yeah, I guess there are a couple of chubby characters around. Snips would be another one.

Honestly, this character just reminded me of Mrs Johanssen from Daria:

qv5b.jpg

...which obviously isn't ideal.

Rarity is best pony. Also McCarthy was the story editor on this one. Wonder if that will continue for the rest the season.

P.S. I am not a McCarthy hater, far from it. I just really like the M.A. Larson edited episodes is all.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Rarity is best pony. Also McCarthy was the story editor on this one. Wonder if that will continue for the rest the season.

P.S. I am not a McCarthy hater, far from it. I just really like the M.A. Larson edited episodes is all.

She edited a few episodes in the season's first half, so I imagine we'll see more Larson ones, even if it was an even split between the two.

The shot from "Rarity Investigates" is everything I ever hoped for from that episode.

The shots from "Scare Master" (I assume) are cute. Dash's costume is curious. Are there astronauts in Equestria? And they dress like that? Or is it a sci-fi thing in-universe.

PaulloDEC

The shot from "Rarity Investigates" is everything I ever hoped for from that episode.

The shots from "Scare Master" (I assume) are cute. Dash's costume is curious. Are there astronauts in Equestria? And they dress like that? Or is it a sci-fi thing in-universe.

Good question. Looking back at Luna Eclipsed, we actually have seen a character wearing a spacesuit helmet before, though that doesn't answer the question.

I just want to say that I feel like having a cutie mark of yourself is like the ultimate achievement.

Or like, the least significant achievment. I mean, being able to be yourself is pretty much the one thing everyone can do!

I really enjoyed this week's new episode; also it has been months since I have watched an episode as it was airing. The plot was much fresher than I had anticipated.

I really miss the days when Saturday morning cartoons were more pervasive. Good times!

However, I'm not sure if I can comment on the obese pony in the end, other than being a questionable, big lipped alligator moment. I just simply couldn't laugh at that at all.

And looking at the preview images for the upcoming episodes, I'm looking forward to them.

Rarity's trench-coat and fedora combo gives me a Carmen Sandiego vibe. And the costumes for "Scare Master" are great, but what's Fluttershy wearing?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
It was odd that Rarity took so long to speak up to Sassy. I mean Rarity is supposed to be the boss

Rarity has never really had an employee before. Don't think she's quite used to being the boss this way.

StoneFox

I laughed at the fat pony bit if only out of the pure absurdity of it and how out-of-left-field it was. I feel like it wasn't meant to be offensive, but I can see why people could take it as such.

EDIT: ^ She almost certainly wasn't meant to be a fat joke, beyond her size making her sudden appearance surprising, since no actual fat joke was made, but I kind of feel like she'd make more sense if there was a fat joke; then I'd actually understand what was going on.

So it seems like the big pony (one name I like is Whoa Nelly) appeared before, which bolsters the argument that she's an in-joke of some kind.

Something fun that happened in the background:

I mentioned that I wasn't too keen on Sassy Saddles' design, but I think this fan art looks nice. No source for now, but you can probably find it on DeviantArt from the name in the URL.

And it looks like the popular names for these two are Moonlight Raven and Strawberry Lemonade

I thought that was a fun episode.

I like how Sassy Saddles wasn't an all out villain (though I wasn't a huge fan of the design, I just couldn't help but think recolored Fleur). Like Paullo said, it was really great how they showed the perils of creativity in a business. Felt like a very fresh moral.

The fat "Nasal pony" at the end was very bizarre. My sister and I just looked at each other like "What was THAT?" But then we played it back and just had gigglefits over the way it says "Oooh a sale!" and how that's going to be a thing for us from now on. Really odd design though. Really hope we get the story behind this pony.

PaulloDEC

Something fun that happened in the background:

I mentioned that I wasn't too keen on Sassy Saddles' design, but I think this fan art looks nice. No source for now, but you can probably find it on DeviantArt from the name in the URL.

And it looks like the popular names for these two are Moonlight Raven and Strawberry Lemonade

I like these three a lot. That little GIF of the price-tag checking is perfect.

Those names for the bright and goth ponies are great, too.

December comic solicitations.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #37
Jeremy Whitley (w) • Andy Price (a & c) • Sara Richard (​Subscription Variant ​Cover) • Agnes Garbowska (RI Variant Cover)
“Siege of the Crystal Empire” Part 4! The epic Pony storyline of 2015 comes to a close! Multiple characters must make crucial decisions that will have an impact on the Crystal Empire—and Equestria—forever!
blogger-image-1796545842.jpg
blogger-image-1256432311.jpg
blogger-image-22368151.jpg

My Little Pony: Friends Forever #23
Ted Anderson (w) • Tony Fleecs (a) • Amy Mebberson (c) • Tony Fleecs (Subscription Variant Cover)
Applejack and Fluttershy go camping! The serenity of nature is ruined when ponies travel from all over Equestria to catch a glimpse of the legendary Pigasus that is rumored to be in the area! Will our two ponies be able to get to bottom of the mystery... before pigs fly?
blogger-image--1528825327.jpg

My Little Pony Holiday Special—SPOTLIGHT
Katie Cook (w & a & c) • Brenda Hickey (Subscription Variant Cover)
It's holiday time in Equestria and the ponies are ready to celebrate! Join the celebration in this special one shot that shows how different ponies enjoy the festivities!
blogger-image-1762544658.jpg
blogger-image-1080493100.jpg

After there was no annual special, I didn't expect for there to be a holiday special. This will be the first special to take place in regular ponyland, and it seems like it may be a bunch of short stories, which should be a lot of fun. Plus, we're actually getting the special in addition to everything else now. The fact that the entire thing is done by Cook is interesting too; I guess that's why Price isn't paired up with her for the Siege of the Crystal Empire story.

Not much to say about FiM #37, but Friends Forever #23 looks like it could be fun. We don't see Applejack and Fluttershy paired up in many episodes; just "Dragonshy" comes to mind off the top of my head.

UberTag

Not much to say about FiM #37, but Friends Forever #23 looks like it could be fun. We don't see Applejack and Fluttershy paired up in many episodes; just "Dragonshy" comes to mind off the top of my head.
They were also pseudo-paired up as adversaries in Bats!... but we try to forget that episode.

PaulloDEC

Really excited for all those comics. "Siege" looks primed to be something pretty awesome, and the Hearth's Warming and Flutters/AJ stories both seem neat.

Someone seems to be having trouble adjusting to Twi's new crown, though. /fan nitpick

Friendship is Magic #34
I'll get out of the way the fact that it doesn't feel like it makes sense for any of the villains to do what they did other than Chrysalis. Iron Will in particular never came off as bad at all, and if Lightning Dust was meant to be like Rainbow Dash at the start of the show, then she wouldn't actively go against royalty like this. Maybe later it will be revealed that Radiant Hope convinced them to act out of the kindness of their hearts, though. I'll allow Chrysalis not putting up too much of a fight, given the nature of her task. I'm also not a fan of Celestia and Luna using the frozen wastes to seal away evils too great for Tartarus; I am fine with the Crystal Empire having used them, though.

That said, the art was as great as ever, especially when Sombra was talking to Hope, and lent a lot of dynamism to the action. The story got a lot more interesting once it got to the main plot of Sombra and Hope, so I'm looking forward to the next issue.

S05, E17 (First Aired: October 3, 2015)
Brotherhooves Social
When Applejack is called away and has to miss participating in the Sisterhooves Social with Apple Bloom, Big Mac decides to fill in for her.

S05, E18 (First Aired: October 10, 2015)
Crusaders of the Lost Mark
When Pip Squeak decides to run for class president, the Cutie Mark Crusaders rally around their friend, but find themselves helping their long-time nemesis, Diamond Tiara, in an unexpected way.

S05, E20 (First Aired: October 17, 2015)
The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows
Pinkie Pie struggles to keep a secret that involves Princess Cadance and Shining Armor.

S05, E19 (First Aired: October 24, 2015)
Hearthbreakers
Applejack is excited to celebrate Hearthswarming Eve with Pinkie Pie's family but soon discovers that the Pies have very different ways of enjoying the holiday at their Rock Farm.

Episode 20: wellthereitis.gif

I guess "Scare Master" is going to straight up air on Halloween.

Sounds like Crusaders of the Lost Mark is going to be a "Stop helping me!" plot, and I'm guessing the secret Pinkie knows is that they're having a baby.

Sounds like Crusaders of the Lost Mark is going to be a "Stop helping me!" plot, and I'm guessing the secret Pinkie knows is that they're having a baby.

If that's the case for "Crusaders of the Lost Mark", then I'm not sure how the title ties in; and it doesn't seem like a title that they'd use for any old story that involves the Crusaders.

The cake in the season 5 partial group shot (see the OP) seems to have a baby carriage on top, which supports the idea that Cadance is having a baby. I'm guessing they don't want Twilight to know because she has something important to do, and if she learned about the baby, she'd drop everything to fuss over Cadance.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I just hope Brotherhooves isn't some "guy in drag" premise where Big Mac pretends to be AJ and the other townspeople are oblivious to it.

UberTag

Thing is, how else would Big Mac be allowed to fill-in as Apple Bloom's "sister" in the Sisterhooves Social festivities if he WASN'T dressed in drag?

Stallions and colts are restricted from participating. It's a filly and mare deal exclusively.

That said, I suspect they'll go with the angle of the Apple family being so large and expansive that there's some 4th cousin twice removed that just so happens to look like a female Big Mac. Perhaps they'll even get Fluttershy in on the con and have her Flutterguy it up to give Big Mac a cover when it looks like he's about to have his disguise blown.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Sweetie Belle was allowed to compete with (what we thought) was Appljack and no one complained.

I'm hoping they explain the situation, are allowed to compete, and this is a nice Big Mac and AB episode.

And we better see Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo competing.

Come to think of it, Big Mac dressing up would inevitably have the "liar revealed" scene, which I wouldn't want. In any case, I'm not sure "mares only" would be that strongly enforced that ponies would get upset at Big Mac supporting his sister. Another direction they could go is just with the other mares being uncomfortable with Big Mac being around, especially with him being OP, or Apple Bloom having to deal with Big Mac not getting too into the events.

Wait, what? I didn't even know this was happening.

I was thinking that for once, I'd go into this movie not knowing the story or what the best scenes are, since my opinions of the previous two movies were colored by that knowledge, and I was wondering if I'd still have a largely negative opinion going in fresh.

Well, still, I think it will be easy enough to avoid spoilers for a week, especially if not many people are providing details.

PaulloDEC

I like how most of those episodes sound. The Cadance/Shining baby thing makes me a little nervous, but the story idea itself sounds like fun.

I'm with everyone else on the Brotherhooves Social stuff. Let's not have a dumb disguise episode, please.

"Rarity Investigates" preview clip. I guess we're starting to get these again. I haven't watched it, but apparently,
Sassy Saddles returns already
, which is quite a surprise.

Amy Keating Rogers is the writer of "Crusaders of the Lost Mark"... and the tweet reminded me that she's leaving the show after this season. It's a shame, but I'll look forward to her Disney work.

And the meeting of destiny.
MaudLovesStylebyUnderpable-957045195.png

EDIT: Paullo, I noticed that at the Round Stable forums, you were asking where the Nightmare Rarity arc from the comics fits in. It takes place during season 3, because Trixie makes a short appearance and mentions how she turned good (placing this after "Magic Duel") and Babs Seed makes a cameo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom