• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Season 7 |OT| Is this still a fad?

Ogodei

I think Tempest Shadow's backstory is that she was a pony who got orphaned (or however close they're willing to go to saying that) in an accident that also cost her horn at a very young age and was raised by the chimeras (or whatever we're calling Storm King's/Tirek's species) because having a pony steeped in their magic would then allow them an in to conquer equestria.

And the movie's mostly about her learning what it means to be a pony.

It seems like from the image of Twilight descending on that stage in Canterlot that maybe Celestia and Luna are just away for some reason. Maybe it's solar eclipse or something and they have to go deal with it together.

Going into this episode, I'd like to talk about Juniper Montage. When we first learned about her here, she just seemed like she would be a side character. I commented that I liked her design, and nothing more was said by me or anyone else. I do still like those film reels in her hair. But the point I'm making is, why is the movie themed character with film reels in her hair the villain? With Gloriosa from Legend of Everfree, you could tell from her design that she was intended to be an outwardly sweet character who was hiding darkness inside her. Juniper just looks like someone who's filming a documentary of the Humane Seven without their permission and learns her lesson by the end. Yes, yes, you can turn a seemingly unimportant character into a major villain, but her design doesn't even work for an unexpected reveal. She doesn't even work as a bully, as depicted in the Equestria Girls minis shorts (part 2).

Anyway, here's an episode I've heard a lot about, not much good (beyond the first half). I have to come clean with you guys; this weekend is super busy for me, so I watched this episode and wrote all this yesterday >_>

Mirror Magic
So, why does Sunset have such a hard time as a pony when there must have been less time between Equestria Girls and this, than between her banishment and Equestria Girls?

Shiny posted a while ago that Starlight's acting during this scene is much stronger than Sunset's, and I can definitely see that. Sunset's reactions are very plain, while Starlight's dialogue is much more dynamic.

Is it just me, or is the camerawork during the scene in Equestria weird? It kept cutting back and forth between Sunset and Starlight in a shot/counter-shot, which I suppose hasn't really been done in the show due to me finding it unusual, despite the dialogue not really warranting that. In general, the cuts were quicker than usual.

All this cutting away to Juniper is such a buzzkill.

Pinkie's fourth wall joke was cute.

Wait, if everyone is able to use magic in the mirror dimension, why doesn't Rainbow Dash just fly back out of the portal? Wait, everyone already knows about Starlight?

I swear, the magic that powers the heroes always does more harm than good. Element of Magic somehow turns Sunset into a demon (still not explained), the innate magic of the heroes is absorbed by SciTwi and turns her into Midnight Sparkle, the geodes turn Gloriosa into Gaia Everfree, and now the geodes turn Juniper into... a movie star?

Wow, powered up Juniper's "rampage" is super lame. And the use of clips from "Dance Magic" is only making it worse in contrast.

People complained about this episode being used to make Starlight look good, but it was really just a matter of her being the only one to see Juniper's magic absorption without getting sucked in. Anyone else could have solved this problem, and it didn't justify the use of Starlight in particular.

I see what Shiny was meant when he said that this episode had the least impressive animation of all the specials. The only new sets were the front of the movie theater and the mirror dimension, and the latter was just white space. There wasn't even a big flashy beam battle.

Yeah, that was a pretty baffling episode in so many ways. They finally had Sunset come back to Equestria, only to stay in one room and interact with Starlight before leaving. The scenes of Starlight in Dougworld were nice, but it kept cutting away to Juniper and then Juniper took over the story. And everything about Juniper was so bizarre. You could say that Starlight and Sunset's interactions provided interesting insight into their characters, but they barely spent time on that, and it was surrounded by so much dumb stuff. Juniper's story is thin as hell, and there wasn't anything thematically connecting it to the Starlight stuff. Starlight being a former villain wasn't even brought up before her pep talk with Juniper!

If they really wanted to make a story about how any random antagonist can become a huge threat, they should have (1) not mixed it in with two stories that fans have wished for for a while, with Sunset returning to Equestria, and a pony checking out Dougworld; (2) had the main characters not recognize her right away; (3) created a longer gap between this and "Movie Magic", so we ourselves somewhat forget Juniper, such as by making it episode 3 of a EQG series instead of a special; (4) made it clear that the main characters are just as baffled as the audience that Juniper is a threat now; and (5) have the characters point out how this means that any random antagonist can be a huge threat now, and they need to prepare for this.

Mirror Magic was pretty bad, but in a kind of interesting way. Juniper is straight up awful. Her motive sucks, her flaws suck, and her logic sucks. She's a terrible character, so making her not only the villain but the focal point was a huge fucking mistake.

I just wanted every stupid scene with her in it to end.

Everything else was...fairly okay. Better than Movie Magic at least.

The thing is, I really like Sunset Shimmer. I think she's interesting, and I think there's a lot of interesting things to do with her. Bringing her back to Equestria and having her forget how to walk or use magic was cool, and honestly, I'd have preferred she just stay there for the entire twenty minutes.

I want to know so much about her that the show will never touch on

Why doesn't she go back (even just to visit)?
How does she survive in human world?
What does she plan on doing with her life as a human?

There's more too, but the other questions are just offshoots of the above three. Sunset makes no fucking sense in a super interesting way, so I want to know more and I'll probably never get it. It sucks.

I did like Glim Glam in this one too. She was like the only character not demanding Princess Twilight's every thought. "What will the princess say?" "Bitch who cares!" is the right answer.

Pinkie was solid as well, and I wound up laughing more than I had planned. It wasn't a good episode at all, but at least it wasn't Movie Magic :p

UberTag

To Mirror Magic's credit, at least it was a weak Equestria Girls story as opposed to a weak Equestria Girls story masquerading as a shitty Scooby Doo knockoff.

The thing is, I really like Sunset Shimmer. I think she's interesting, and I think there's a lot of interesting things to do with her. Bringing her back to Equestria and having her forget how to walk or use magic was cool, and honestly, I'd have preferred she just stay there for the entire twenty minutes.
Having an episode based entirely around Sunset experiencing culture shock and trying to reintegrate to life in Equestria after spending x amount of time in Dougverse would have been far more compelling. I didn't have any issue with her being disoriented as I tend to consider the timing of all this stuff elastic and this did feel like her first time as a unicorn since developing a real social identity as a human. Plus, it made for some amusing gags that served as an icebreaker for her intro to Starlight Glimmer.

re: the disorientation of Sunset, in the original, as soon as Twilight got back from just a couple days in human world, she was a little lopsided, so I'm sure a few years will do that to her. At least they're consistent.

I was hoping to have another tirade like I did with Movie Magic, but it wasn't too bad. Even if Juniper was even worse in this episode with her whining and leaps in logic ("they ruined my """"one chance"""" at becoming famous! WAAAAAHHH"), there were a couple things that were cool. I liked the scene where Sunset talks to Glim Glam in Equestria. I liked how the mirror cracking cracked the floor.

It was really bizarre how Juniper over and over again kept shoving the mirror in people's faces and saying "look at this shit! Isn't this shit dank!" and it was obvious that there was nothing there for them to see, and also the scene where Juniper chases down Starlight was kind of laughable. And the fact that everyone is super obsessed with Princess Twilight apparently. But at the end of the day, there were some things I enjoyed, so it was ok.

Do more stuff like Dance Magic please and less pure redemption-fodder villains.

Man, it's really hard to argue against any of these points.

The thing that always confused me is that the narrative in the fandom is that Boast Busters was a bad episode that established Trixie and that Magic Duel was way better. Even back when I first watched the episode and I was a lot less analytical in watching things I never really cared for the episode. I feel like with a bit of rewriting in No Second Prances the Magic Duel could be taken out altogether and little would change.

Looking through Larson's catalog I feel like he's great at creating powerful and emotional individual scenes but sometimes struggles with telling a compelling overarching narrative. Episodes like Ponyville Confidential and Secret of My Excess have their moments (The scene with Rarity confronting Sweetie Belle in Confidential is terrific and there's quite a few solid gags in Secret that put it a tier above many of the garbage-tier Spike episodes) but I feel like a lot of people don't like these episodes is either mean-spirited or hot garbage. And then there's Slice of Life which pretends to have an actual plot but the episode is basically just a bunch of individual scenes with the vague premise of the characters preparing for the wedding. Nothing they do has any actual impact on the wedding from what we see. Probably the most flagrant example of a storyline just being done for the scenes it creates rather then it actually serving the story is the Doctor going to the Bowling alley to get his suit tailored. They have a scene where he's talking to the dudes and tries to bowl and sets up some make it or break it ball to win some vaguely defined tournament (all so he can get his suit tailored by the guys) and then the episode just drops that whole thing instantly as the Doctor runs off before even finishing and without getting his suit fixed, rendering the whole affair entirely pointless to the story.

Larson as a whole feels like he comes up with cool concepts and scenes for an episode first and then tries to come up with a story that those ideas can be fit into. The upside to this is that he has created some of the best scenes that the show's ever had (The letters from Celestia in Return of Harmony and Moondancer's party in Amending Fences are probably my two favorite scenes in the whole show) but on the other hand many of his stories have weak stories that have to rely on conveniences or unestablished elements to reach those points. I feel like Larson takes liberties with the source material a lot more then most writers do. Like I said before the Alicorn Amulet is bullshit and Spike turning super greedy in Secret of My Excess was never really established before and hasn't been brought up at all since. And of course there's Luna's Royal Canterlot Voice too and her ineptitude to get with the times feels inconsistent with how she's been portrayed since. Larson feels like he was making his own canon for the most part and sometimes the later episodes would back up what he made (The Mane 6 getting their cutie marks which plays a major role in The Cutie Remark) and sometimes they wouldn't and his stuff feels like it's isolated from the events of the show.

As per usual with most of my stuff I write I'm usually overly critical of stuff that is generally very well received so don't take this as me calling Larson garbage. He's definitely in my top 5 favorite writers the show's had and has written a couple of my absolute favorite episodes. I just feel like some of his stuff gets a free pass because he wrote it and the fandom generally idolizes the guy. Also as a whole it feels like there isn't a whole lot of discussion about individual writers' styles in the fandom although it could be I'm not looking well for it. Of all the classic writers I definitely like McCarthy more. But he's obviously an incredibly talented writer and the show is lesser without him.

There's more too, but the other questions are just offshoots of the above three. Sunset makes no fucking sense in a super interesting way, so I want to know more and I'll probably never get it. It sucks.

I did like Glim Glam in this one too. She was like the only character not demanding Princess Twilight's every thought. "What will the princess say?" "Bitch who cares!" is the right answer.

Pinkie was solid as well, and I wound up laughing more than I had planned. It wasn't a good episode at all, but at least it wasn't Movie Magic :p

It feels like the writers have essentially boiled Sunset's entire backstory down to "she did something bad in the past." With the exception of a couple call-backs what she actually did and why she did it feels almost irrelevant. The cynic in me wants to think that they're ignoring all of the interesting and distinguishing aspects of her character in an attempt to make her more relatable to people but I think it's more likely that the writers either haven't found a good way to integrate her backstory into a TV movie or they just haven't prioritized expanding on those ideas. Sadly despite having 3 movies and now 3 episodes to establish her character she hasn't really evolved past just being a nice person that does the right thing and has a past she isn't proud of. Her entire dynamic in the group right now just seems like she's the responsible one and as you pointed out they haven't built up any overall goals that she appears to be working towards. I've said it before but there's a lot of areas for the writers to fill in her character more but the writers just don't seem to be interested in doing that.

Damn now I want Larson to do a Sunset episode now. He'd probably do a great job at fleshing out her character.

And yeah I wouldn't say that Starlight is a rebel but she definitely doesn't think as highly of authority as most characters do and has no problems going against them if she thinks she's right. What I think is cool is it's actually a trait that she had back when she was a villain as well.

Anyway, here's an episode I've heard a lot about, not much good (beyond the first half). I have to come clean with you guys; this weekend is super busy for me, so I watched this episode and wrote all this yesterday >_>

The only response

I said before, but Starlight saving the day while the rest of the gang don't do anything might have been something worth talking about if there wasn't so much else wrong with the episode. The whole thing is a mess and raises so many questions as to why they thought this was a good idea. Sunset returning to Equestria and Starlight's introduction into EQG were both major events that should have at least had a full episode dedicated to them but you get a scene for one and a scene and a half for the other. I'm still trying to figure out why they thought Juniper Montage was a good idea. They don't need another reformed bad guy, especially one that follows an extremely similar character progression to an already established character and is done worse in every conceivable way. I said it before but Juniper destroys every scene she's in with the slight exception of the first one in Movie Magic, and her increased screen time in this episode as it goes on ruins the second half of the episode for me.

Your observations about the chaotic nature of the Equestrian magic potentially indicating that anyone could be transformed into a major-league threat is interesting and now I want to see it actually acknowledged by the series at some point. Also funnily enough that idea kinda tied into Magic Duel.

Also there's some new info on some movie merch which actually foreshadows a plot point for the movie. Looks the the Mane 6 are going to become pirates. Really like the designs (Rainbow's looks so cool) but where's best pony's outfit? I'm curious if Rarity is going to end up making the outfits or if they're just going to be ones they find. He's some pictures of the new toys:

Twilight%2Band%2BPinkie%2BPie%2BPirate%2BMy%2BLittle%2BPony%2BMovie%2BGuardians%2Bof%2BHarmony.jpg
Boyle%2Band%2BApplejack%2BPirate%2BMy%2BLittle%2BPony%2BMovie%2BGuardians%2Bof%2BHarmony.jpg

389TirJ.jpg

Photos shamelessly ripped from here

Lastly I'm stealing this from you Sigma

jQrq5st.png

source

*wipes forehead*

Phew, the parts of this post written hours ago don't have to be modified to account for what you guys wrote.

Just finished watching Mirror Magic with subs. Thankfully, it's more on par with Dance Magic than Movie Magic in terms of quality-so long as you're able to get past the fact that Starlight is ultimately the one who saves everyone.

By and large, I enjoyed Sunset's interactions with Starlight in this short and I think this is the best example of characterization we get out of Sunset in these shorts, with her spending a good chunk of the short worrying over the magic that's appearing in the human world and why her and the HuMane 6 have all gotten those new powers in LoE. Essentially Sunset knows nothing is happening right now, but she's worried about what's to come.

There's also some good humor with Sunset having to get used to being a pony again and also some brief moments with Starlight adjusting to being a human (though tragically she doesn't have the shriek of terror that we got from Princess Twilight in the first EQG film).

Honestly, the weakest part of the short is Juniper Montage. She's a pretty meh antagonist and her redemption arc feels old, especially since we've all seen this Song & Dance before with Sunset, SciTwi and Starlight in previous EQG films and in FiM in general.

So it's a good episode... as long as you ignore literally half the episode, haha.

Mirror Magic

Juniper Montage makes vintage Trixie (back in her nefarious villain days with Snips & Snails) look like a rocket scientist by comparison. Of course, we've seen this exact plot involving Trixie in Season 3's Magic Duel (this episode's FiM corollary) so it's a natural comparison to make.

A major difference is that Trixie sought out the Alicorn Amulet intentionally, and wanted to use it to confront Twilight from the start. Juniper meanwhile is durdling around at her job and happens to trap the Humane Seven by accident. And then turned into an evil supermodel by accident too.

That said, I get the impression that I wound up enjoying this more than just about everyone here simply due to how this lofty premise managed to get pulled off without too many hitches.

Sunset's characterization was given some depth which naturally followed her progress in Legend of Everfree as the over-protective magic pony in a human world who is understandably worried about the continued influence of magic in a realm that's normally devoid of it. She's the only regular in this cast capable of playing this role because everyone else is a human being first.

This uniqueness was further highlighted by her return to Equestria, her meeting with Starlight Glimmer and being presented with an opportunity to bring somepony back with her to the human world that would be able to approach these challenges from a shared perspective. Starlight being curious about the opportunity to tag along felt natural (although let's face it - Twilight MUST have assumed this outcome was a possibility leaving her alone to play messenger) and the set up of having her as the only person capable of saving the day made sense. That and being able to reason with Juniper having gone through a similar experience herself.

I did appreciate what bits of characterization we got from Sunset and Starlight in this special. Sunset is worried about the future, while Starlight has learned to just relax and go with her gut.

Starlight's excitement at exploring Dougworld was fun too, but it still brings up the issue of why no one else has tried this.

Now that said, would all of this have benefited from being a two-parter? Of course. We were robbed of being able to appreciate a number of moments that should have been treated like a bigger deal (Sunset returning to Equestria, interacting with Starlight, Starlight going to Dougverse) and just about any possible tension of this situation was lacking due to time constraints and Juniper's undeniable vanity and overall ineffectiveness.

I don't think it so much needed to be a two parter, as the whole Juniper plot needed to be excised entirely. Plenty of room for Ponyland and Dougworld shenanigans then!

Approaching this episode on the terms that I went in expecting these challenges, I was even able to enjoy Pinkie Pie's zany antics in hammerspace mirrorspace and I haven't enjoyed much of her in either show of late. And one other positive I'll take away is that if this ever does transition into a full-length series I think adopting a storytelling approach that has more of a rigid focus on continuity (like a serial) would be a great way to help distinguish it from Friendship is Magic and its slice of life one-off episodes.

I found Pinkie amusing when they were first shown in the mirror world too, but that was just one scene. The references to the previous episodes did help make it feel different from FiM, but I would hope an EQG series would use them better than here.

One last observation... it probably doesn't help that we only went 8 days total between Starlight Glimmer helping Princess Celestia and Princess Luna work through their communication barriers via her Cutie Map mission to her saving the entire Equestia Girls cast. It only adds fuel to the fire of folks like DrForester who consider her to be an infallible tool of the writing staff even though I saw plenty of faults and lapses from Starlight in both episodes. In other words, I think Starlight was handled fine but the proximity of these two episodes and the significance of her impact within them only helps to encourage the perception that she's a Mary Sue trope being paraded around a little too liberally. I still love her, though.

Yeah, with the US schedule, it's been four weeks since "A Royal Problem" aired.

I am curious about something given Mirror Magic's official planned airdate (July 8th) and its role in Season 7's FiM continuity.

Was Starlight holding fort at Twilight's castle with her away on urgent friendship business intended to imply this was during her trip to Yakyakistan at Pinkie's request? With Twilight giving her permission to hang around Dougverse a while longer, perhaps we should expect Starlight to be MIA for the next few episodes starting with Discordant Harmony instead of keeping up her recent string of recurring appearances.

(Not that this will be any different from Season 6 where they habitually ignored her outside of her bucket episodes. Hopefully Starlight can help reform Dougverse Trixie before she returns.)

Now having seen both episodes, the timeline does seem to match, since they did have to rush over to Yakyakistan after Pinkie came back for everyone else's help. Well, I suppose there is some ambiguity about how much time passed in Dougworld (was the final scene the next day?).

With this EQG special, I think the first half is pretty great. Unlike Royal Problem were my issues with the episode were less centralized. I think it's easier for me to look at a pretty excellent first half and just ignore the 2nd half.

Once the Mane 6 get captured, and especially once Sunset gets captured, the thing just goes to crap for me.

So you liked the cuts to Juniper complaining about her job and obsessing over her mirror? =P

Though seriously, the praise of the "first half" I've seen everywhere made me think more of it would focus on Sunset and Starlight than it actually did. I'd say half of the first half was just Juniper.

This was definitely the upcoming EQG episode that people were looking forward to the most. It features a bunch of stuff that a lot of people were excited for: Sunset returning to Equestria, Starlight and Sunset meeting, and Starlight going to Dougworld, on top of a pretty high-stakes conflict featuring a new villain we haven't heard of before. Which is why it's bewildering that they passed it off to show newcomer Rachel Vine (Who has written 1-3 episodes for Dawn of The Croods, Wander over Yonder, and Rainbow Brite) and fairly mediocre veteran David Polsky. [...]

You know, this does make it sound rather similar to the path "Keep Calm and Flutter On" took, down to Polsky being one of the writers. Perhaps he's reliable as a pinch writer, that can produce a working script under tight time constraints. When you combine the obvious quality difference between "Dance Magic" and the rest of the specials with the fact that we now know "Dance Magic" was produced before Legend of Everfree and likely separately from the others, it's clear that the last two specials had to be rushed for some reason. I'm not sure why they always go for ambitious fan-requested stories when under a time crunch, but it is an established pattern for them.

I'll get the big problem I have with the episode out of the way right now: Juniper Montage might be my most hated MLP character ever, and she's certainly the worst villain. [...]

Yeah, I don't know what they were trying to do with her. I feel like they were trying to go the "Inspiration Manifestation" route with Juniper using it in benign ways at first and then losing herself to the magic, but every time she did anything, it was her doing it by accident, shrugging her shoulders, and going with it. It's hard to accept her reforming because it's hard to accept she can do anything intentionally.

[...]

On top of just being generally shit she is a completely unnecessary character that does nothing to justify her existence. [...] Why did they even feel like Juniper needed to exist? As they point out in this episode they've already got 2 ex-villains in the core group of 7, even more if you count the Shadowbolts and Starlight if she makes another appearance. Starlight at least was fairly unique in being an ex-villain in the main show and I feel was partially created so they could sort of have her be the old Twilight that doesn't exist anymore. Juniper doesn't fill any niche, and her story itself is so overdone (especially in EQG) that it doesn't come off as a surprise. Her character itself is so horribly unlikable that I don't really care what happens to her next. And they already have 7 main characters, they don't need her.

I have absolutely no clue what kind of role Juniper can play in the future. If she was just some pesky student filmmaker that was secretly filming the Humane Seven for material, I could imagine future stories for her. Reformed villain that did evil acts because she wanted to star in a movie? Where do you go from there?

And since I'm on a bit of a mean streak, dafaq was that moral? Makes sense that Polsky was writing this because "don't think about planning ahead for stuff and assume everything will work out fine" is almost as bad as "there's stuff in the world that won't make sense for you so don't bother trying to make any sense of it and just accept it as true."

I didn't even register that was supposed to be a moral. It makes sense as Starlight's world view, post "A Royal Problem", but it doesn't work as a lesson here.

On to some other stuff that I did like, I felt like most of the scenes in this episode that didn't have to do with the moral, weren't part of the climax, and didn't have Juniper in them were really good. Granted that's a massive chunk of the episode that I'm excluding here but I thought up until Sunset gets sent into the mirror world things were pretty good when Juniper wasn't destroying all of my enjoyment of the episode. [...] Starlight is for the most part pretty good and Sunset shows a lot more vulnerability as well, which is nice since Legend of Everfree was displaying her as being a paragon of friendship that always knew the right thing to do. She's still firmly the "responsible" one but at least we're seeing how that role is affecting her emotionally which gives her a bit more depth. Still skeptical as to whether or not that alone will be enough to make her character interesting but at least in this episode she was pretty good.

Yeah, the Starlight and Sunset scenes were nice, but they kept cutting away to Juniper right as you were settling in. Having Sunset constantly have the magic problems on her mind was a nice bit of characterization, but I too am still looking for more to make her interesting in a potential EQG series.

Back to the bad, the climax is hot garbage. Apparently if you put the 7 magical elements in a mirror world together it makes the person outside of it super big and evil, and if anyone else besides the person that first picks up the mirror tries to use it the thing doesn't work despite it showing no indication of that being the case up until that point. Alright makes perfect sense to me. (Insert fluttershytwokeks.jpg here) Also all Starlight has to do is say the f word and Juniper instantly backs off and lets the mane 7 out of the mirror. The whole climax is just a total disaster and gives me zero investment in it. Frankly the thing has so many problems with it that that lack of agency from the mane 7 is, as I said before, not even in the top 5 things wrong with it I would say regardless of how you feel about Starlight.

[...]

What, you weren't impressed by Superstar Juniper making kids drop their ice cream at the mall?

I'm generally not a fan of situations where everyone except one character is defeated and it's up to them alone to stop the villain, which is why I didn't like the climax of the Accord arc from the comics, and this situation was even worse than that. Not only were the defeated character unable to give information to the remaining hero, like in the comic arc, but they didn't even get a chance to try and fight back. But like you said, that's the least of the problems with the climax; Accord at least was a legitimate and logical threat.

[...]

[...]

It's weird how they go out of their way not to actually examine the innately interesting aspects of Sunset. One of the tie in books (My Little Pony Equestria Girls: Canterlot High Tell-All, I believe) even stated that Sunset and Celestia already reunited off screen! I really hope this is a priority in the EQG series, if it comes.

It's also weird how reverent everyone is of pony Twilight in Dougworld, even after the events of Rainbow Rocks. In that light, Starlight's opinion was refreshing.

To Mirror Magic's credit, at least it was a weak Equestria Girls story as opposed to a weak Equestria Girls story masquerading as a shitty Scooby Doo knockoff.

Having an episode based entirely around Sunset experiencing culture shock and trying to reintegrate to life in Equestria after spending x amount of time in Dougverse would have been far more compelling. I didn't have any issue with her being disoriented as I tend to consider the timing of all this stuff elastic and this did feel like her first time as a unicorn since developing a real social identity as a human. Plus, it made for some amusing gags that served as an icebreaker for her intro to Starlight Glimmer.

Both good points. This followed the general pattern of the movies, but super condensed and mixed with more interesting stuff that should have gotten more focus.

I hadn't considered the idea that Sunset is now trying to actually fit in as a human, which is why she had a harder time adjusting to being a pony this time. I can imagine that before, she kept practicing being a pony and mentally focusing on how to cast magic for the one day she could go back to Equestria for her convoluted revenge. Now that's far from her mind, and she is able to feel comfortable in the human world.

[...]

It was really bizarre how Juniper over and over again kept shoving the mirror in people's faces and saying "look at this shit! Isn't this shit dank!" and it was obvious that there was nothing there for them to see, and also the scene where Juniper chases down Starlight was kind of laughable. And the fact that everyone is super obsessed with Princess Twilight apparently. But at the end of the day, there were some things I enjoyed, so it was ok.

Do more stuff like Dance Magic please and less pure redemption-fodder villains.

Yeah, that was pretty ridiculous. You'd think she'd realize it was a mirror, so if anything, it would show the other people as superstars.

It seems like they're setting up the magical girl premise of evil magic corrupting random people that they have to purify every episode, so you're going to get an evil gardener that gets redeemed and you're going to like it! Well, unless they incorporate the other part of the magical girl set up and completely forget the corrupted people after the end of the episode. I hope that's what happens with Juniper.

The thing that always confused me is that the narrative in the fandom is that Boast Busters was a bad episode that established Trixie and that Magic Duel was way better. Even back when I first watched the episode and I was a lot less analytical in watching things I never really cared for the episode. I feel like with a bit of rewriting in No Second Prances the Magic Duel could be taken out altogether and little would change.

Is that really a common opinion? I feel like people care about "Boast Busters" more because it was her introduction, but I haven't watched any analysis videos about those episodes. Anyway, I prefer "Magic Duel" over "Boast Busters", but that's because I think "Boast Busters" is honestly a pretty weak episode.

It's true that going from "Boast Busters" to "No Second Prances" would make more sense, since one of the main complaints about that episode is how Twilight is inexplicably antagonistic toward Trixie. That said, it would have been really weird for Trixie to have a stronger presence in Equestria Girls than the actual show for years.

[...]

Also there's some new info on some movie merch which actually foreshadows a plot point for the movie. Looks the the Mane 6 are going to become pirates. Really like the designs (Rainbow's looks so cool) but where's best pony's outfit? I'm curious if Rarity is going to end up making the outfits or if they're just going to be ones they find. He's some pictures of the new toys:

I skipped a big chunk of your post, but I feel like I addressed a lot of it above.

As for the movie merchandise, we have seen pictures of the Main Six in pirate gear before, but it was in a collage of other vectors, so they were hard to see. I personally adore Twilight's coat and hat. As myself from eight years ago would hate for me to say, I love it when the ponies get pretty new outfits.

Lastly I'm stealing this from you Sigma

http://i.imgur.com/jQrq5st.png[/IMG

[URL="http://pre03.deviantart.net/7c82/th/pre/f/2017/189/4/5/luna_fo4_by_captainpudgemuffin-dbfj0my.png"]source[/URL][/QUOTE]

I've been saying you guys are free to post fanart without me!

Well, the hiatus has officially started in the US, but for a lot of you guys, it’s been going on for a while. Specifically, a month, then you got a two episodes reprieve, then almost three weeks of hiatus after that. I’m kind of curious to see how you guys are managing it, and if the US airing discussion has helped. Have you enjoyed discussing episodes weeks after you watched them, or was it a pain to have old reactions and arguments dredged up again?

On that subject, I’m also curious about the time when new Canadian episodes were airing alongside “new” US episodes. Was it cumbersome having multiple discussions simultaneously?

Also, was it useful having me list out the episodes that had aired in the US every premiere?

(I guess this can count as the Community thread discussion topic.)

Well, the hiatus has officially started in the US, but for a lot of you guys, it’s been going on for a while. Specifically, a month, then you got a two episodes reprieve, then almost three weeks of hiatus after that. I’m kind of curious to see how you guys are managing it, and if the US airing discussion has helped. Have you enjoyed discussing episodes weeks after you watched them, or was it a pain to have old reactions and arguments dredged up again?

On that subject, I’m also curious about the time when new Canadian episodes were airing alongside “new” US episodes. Was it cumbersome having multiple discussions simultaneously?

Also, was it useful having me list out the episodes that had aired in the US every premiere?

(I guess this can count as the Community thread discussion topic.)

I like the discussion refresh. Usually when I'm fresh off an episode I don't feel like I have much to say anyway.

I do appreciate having the US premiered episodes listed out. Sometimes I'm like "wait, did blank blank air yet? Lemme check"

Glad to see the episode lists every Saturday were helpful!

Late "Mirror Magic" followup.

NOTES
One interesting thing I saw pointed out in another thread is that this is the very first EQG story where the antagonist is actually talked down instead of magic blasted. Oddly, I saw one guy argue that Juniper was a good character for that reason, since she was introspective enough to realize her actions were wrong. Defense force for everything, I guess.

The novelization of these specials actually changes things in interesting ways, as shown in MLPWiki's entry for it. I'll post the interesting differences below.
* The events of all three specials are shuffled around to form one cohesive storyline.
* The Crystal Prep girls only appear in the beginning of the book when Rarity signs up at the mall and are not seen or heard from again. As a result, the subplot about the Crystal Prep girls attempting to steal the Equestria Girls' video concept as their own is dropped.
* Sunset Shimmer is not present in the scene where Rarity presents her idea, since she is back in Equestria.
* The scenes of Rarity presenting her idea and the girls coming up with music video concepts is combined into one scene.
* Starlight Glimmer suggests to Rarity the concept of the music video instead of Rarity coming up with it on her own.
* Starlight joins the girls in the Dance Magic video instead of Lemon Zest, Sour Sweet, Sugarcoat, and Sunny Flare.
* In the novel, the Equestria Girls still have their cell phones on hand while on the set of the Daring Do movie. Sunset uses it to receive updates from Starlight, who is following traces of Equestrian magic. Rainbow Dash attempts to use her phone to contact the other girls while she's trapped in the storage closet but she does not have the signal. In the specials, their phones were all confiscated by security.
* When trapped in the net, Rarity uses her geode to help them escape.
* Rather than merely attempting to grab the mirror from the Juniper monster's grasp, Starlight attempts to distract her by pretending to be a newspaper reporter wanting an exclusive interview with her.

It's funny that they gutted the special that's widely considered the best to make more room for the bad specials. It reminds me of how the Mega Man Battle Network anime largely skipped the story of MMBN3, one of the two choices for best game in the series, in favor for giving more time to MMBN4, by far the worst game of the series. The adaptation of "Dance Magic" even removed the scenes that showcased the good parts of Rarity's character! It would have been nice to see Starlight interact more with the human characters (she didn't even react to seeing human version of her friends), but stealing Rarity's parts is no good.

Not mentioned in the wiki, but I read elsewhere that they do actually explain the mirror magic a bit more. The magic leaking out of the portal is seeking out other mirrors, which is why it enchanted that mirror at the sunglasses guy's stand.

SCREENSHOTS
Mainly silly things to point out here.

TV guide says Sunset Glimmer meets Starlight Glimmer
Comparison of Sunset's magic auras (embedded) - First of all, wow, it didn't really hit me until now just how long it's been since we saw pony Sunset in animation. Anyway, in the first movie, Sunset's magic matched her eye color, which is how it's typically handled for unicorns after season 1. This is best seen with Sweetie Belle, one of the few characters who doesn't have her eye color in her cutie mark. Sunset and Starlight have the same eye color, so this was likely changed to make it clearer who is using magic when. Still, perfect opportunity to make barely substantiated theories to explain this change!
What Starlight is really writing - Screenshots with text added.
The original synopsis for "Mirror Magic" - It mentions the mirror being able to provide a window into another land, which doesn't really happen in the actual special. I thought for sure this was going to refer to Equestria.

medium.jpeg

GIFS
Sunset walking for the first time in a while
Mandatory Sunset book trouble
Starlight walking for the first time
Doggo Starlight - Walking GIF with captions added.
Pinkie breaking the fourth wall
Pac Pie

FAN CONTENT
Fan art generally falls into the following categories.
* General Humanized Starlight.
* Starlight eating ice cream.
* Starlight and Dougworld Trixie.
* Sunset and Starlight, especially shipping, which is called Shimmerglimmer.

As you can tell, a significant chunk of this episode is underrepresented. I wonder why~

Starlight alone
Reponified Glimmer by slb94 - Made one month ago.
Starlight Glimmer by Banzatou - Made two weeks ago.
Starlight Sim - Made two weeks ago. This is actually an adaptation of a scene from the comic Legends of Magic #4, which I reviewed last week! The dialogue comes from there; she's asking Sunburst to read to her.
ReponifiedGlimmerbySLB941497828185965.png
StarlightGlimmerEGbyBanzatou1498521134750.png
small.jpeg

Starlight Glimmer by ryured - Made three weeks ago.
Starlight Glimmer by sumin6301 - Made one month ago.
Starlight Glimmer by tyuubatu - Made one month ago.
small.jpeg
thumb.jpeg
small.jpeg

Starlight driving by heir-of-rick - Made today.
I'm Pony Girl by dressella - Made one month ago.
small.png
thumb.jpeg

Sunset and Starlight
Shimmer Glimmer by tyuubatu - Made one month ago.
Starlight and Sunset by aJVL - Made one week ago.
Sunset Shimmer and Starlight Glimmer by nekokevin - Made one month ago.
ShimmerGlimmerbytyuubatu1497828182548.jpg
StarlightandSunsetbyaJVL1499212480570.jpg
small.jpeg

Our first meeting by namygaga - Made one month ago.
Out for Ice Cream by JonFawkes - Made today. He also made a close up of Starlight and Sunset from this art, which I'll embed below instead.
Sunset and Starlight by dusty-munji - Made two weeks ago.
small.png
thumb.jpeg
thumb.png

Starlight with ice cream
Ice Cream by raikoh - Made this weekend.
Oh Ice Cream by assasinmonkey - Made this weekend
thumb.jpeg
thumb.png

Starlight and Trixie
Hi Trixie by namygaga - Made one month ago.
The Great and Powerful Duo by ForestHeart74 - Made one week ago.
Starlight, Trixie, and Maud by ForestHeart74 - Made one week ago.
You may have ONE bite of Trixie's cracker by manic-the-lad - Made one month ago.
small.jpeg
small.jpeg
small.jpeg
small.png

Other
She's MY Best Friend - Made three weeks ago.
Fluttershy Likes Ice Cream - Made one month ago. Another outfit that works better than her default!
Evil Juniper Montage Ponified - Made one month ago. I don't know guys, I don't recognize this character. Was she in the episode?
small.png
thumb.png
thumb.png

Previous episodes
Not Asking for Trouble - Real yak
Dance Magic - Dance Magic by VanillaGhosties
Honest Apple - Flutterbat's Fashion Match
A Royal Problem - Daybreaker by Adlynh
RealyakbyAlinaSherl1499212477410.png
DanceMagicbyVanillaGhosties1499466432233.png
FlutterbatsFashionMatchbyDocWario1499641446622.png
DaybreakerbyAdlynh1499730874051.jpg

Comics
An artist named yuckthehuman made a ton of comics that connect with this episode. Here are just a few of them. Note that English isn't their first language. Comics made over the period of the last month.
Sunset reading Starlight's past
Sunset and Starlight going to sleep
Starlight seeing Trixie
SciTwi and Starlight talking - A scene like this desperately needed to be in this episode, though probably without the shipping.

And by other people.
Measurement by uotapo - Made one month ago. Recommended reading.
Wrong Trixie - Made one month ago.

==

Also,
Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Choose one:
* Donald Duck meme.
* Dead dove, do not eat meme.

I find it hard to imagine Shatner wouldn't know about 4chan by this point.

TV Guide shows that "Discordant Harmony" will air in the US on August 5! Looks like my comic-based prediction was right on the money! Though I'll wait for more sources before updating the OP.

Some minor movie news. First, international poster (which I guess the Chinese poster isn't).
image1%2B%25281%2529.JPG

Way better than the US posters, which require sunglasses, but the mix of land and underwater characters and settings is bugging me out.

And this page has German trailer 2, which is just a shortened version of trailer 1.

On another note, "Dance Magic" song remix by Faulty & Bank Pain. You know, I'm surprised at how seemingly few remixes there are of this song.

New pony comic was pretty underwhelming. Whole thing wrapped up with basically a bad conversation, and the artwork wasn't great. Probably would have been better as a three or four issue arc instead of two.

Friendship is Magic #56
New pony comic was pretty underwhelming. Whole thing wrapped up with basically a bad conversation, and the artwork wasn't great. Probably would have been better as a three or four issue arc instead of two.

I was all ready to protest your point about the artwork, since Agnes Garbowska has usually been great, but yeah, it was pretty weak this time around, particularly in regard to the faces. The resolution was super rushed too.

They spent a ton of time emphasizing the dragon racism of the ponies and the significance of the yak promise, but both aspects were resolved right away with a "sorry", with no hard feelings from either side once the dragons fixed up the village. Those could have been interesting things to delve into more, but after they introduced the problems, they dropped them way too quickly.

Dragon racism from ponies is something we've seen in the comics before, particularly in that Spike/Luna Friends Forever issue about a dragon ghetto in Fillydelphia. That issue raised all kinds of questions, but the relevant bit is that it was odd that ponies would be racist against dragons when they had an established community in one of their major cities. The way the ponies act is a bit more believable in this situation, but Twilight suggesting that dragons are naturally more aggressive and warlike to explain Ember's attack still felt bad. Note that stuff like this is one of the reasons why season 2's "Dragon Quest" didn't work; "Gauntlet of Fire" was a huge improvement if only because the ponies were more willing to entertain that not all dragons are bad.

naturally_aggressive.png
rarity_speciesist.png

It's weird how they didn't carry much over from the first part in terms of character and story focus, even if I theorized that this is what they were going for with how the previous issue was handled. The Wonderbolts don't get to do anything, and Rainbow Dash's parents only appear in one panel, for instance.

Silver Quill goes all in on the racism aspect, and I have to agree that it's making absolutely everyone in the story look bad for the sake of making Spike look good. The way the ponies act does indeed match "Dragon Quest", but no one liked how they acted in "Dragon Quest"! And even so, it's hard to imagine that they haven't learned anything since, especially with Twilight not even realizing she was being insensitive. Her apology especially doesn't seem to reflect understanding of what she did wrong. Of course, as Silver Quill points out, the dragons aren't much better. Amazingly, Prince Rutherford comes out the best in this issue.

stop_generalizing.png
stop_behaving_bad.png
know_yak_history.png

I liked the first issue well enough, so it's a shame it fell apart with this one.

==

On an unrelated note, there is now a fanfic shipping Strawberry Sunrise with Braeburn. This fandom.

Been busy and haven't really been able to seriously reply to a lot of the stuff that I want to. I figure that I can save that for later and some posts is better then nothing so..

Rarity's section feels like it contains a lot more useful information then the other ones. Almost all of the poses for Twilight are her being angry or sad. Rainbow's are about what you'd expect. Pinkie's expressions all look a bit different from how she looks in the show, which I largely chalk up to having more detail. With Fluttershy it hints that she's probably going to be befriending some of the big evil storm dudes in the description which begs the question as to whether or not everyone will be reformed by the end lol. AJ is depressing. Half her art is just reposing her and her description does nothing to describe how she'll be useful in the movie.

And then there's Rarity. First off, yeah it gives off that she's going to become good friends with someone, that someone almost certainly being Capper given the look he was giving her in the trailer. There's some dialogue for her although the godawful resolution makes reading many of them difficult. The one that says "I seriously cannot even!!" is pretty funny. Then there's the argry pose where it looks like she's saying "you were going to sell us?" which leads me to believe that Capper might initially plan on double-crossing the ponies but decide not to, presumably because of something Rarity did. The one where she's prancing around and looking at the mud on her hoof both appear to be from musical numbers.

Of course that stuff has to be taken with a grain of salt. As the artist said some of this might be from older stories and won't be in the final picture.

The "friend for life" line makes me think that Capper might actually end up making it into the TV show. Taye Diggs is IMO not a super massive celebrity so he might not be as pricey as the others, making him more feasible to show up on the show from time to time. As far as what he might end up doing perhaps Rarity offers him a job so he can move away from his previous life of crime. (He's supposed to be a thief right?)

I feel like maybe we should post some news recaps over in the official trailer thread. There was a lot of people over there that didn't post here and might find that info useful but don't want to dig through here to find it. I think something like a weekly or bi-weekly post that briefly talks about all the new info about the movie could be useful. I could go ahead and do them a couple times and see what the response to them is.

How dare you be too busy to comment on Strawberry Sunrise X Braeburn *arms crossed*

I wasn't sure if concept art was important enough to post in that thread, but I suppose it does make sense to do a news roundup there. You can do it if you want.

And yeah, the biggest disappointment of the images is how they're too low resolution to make the written text legible. I agree that Pinkie looked odd in the sketches in her section, but there are different artists drawing each of these sketches.

I don't think we'll see Capper in the show, not just because it will be odd to see an art style downgrade with him, but because they have yet to even acknowledge Equestria Girls in the show, when there's arguably a higher chance that a show viewer would know characters from that than the movie. I don't think they'll assume show viewers necessarily watched the movie. That said, Rarity will almost definitely help Capper go legitimate.

How dare you be too busy to comment on Strawberry Sunrise X Braeburn *arms crossed*

I wasn't sure if concept art was important enough to post in that thread, but I suppose it does make sense to do a news roundup there. You can do it if you want.

And yeah, the biggest disappointment of the images is how they're too low resolution to make the written text legible. I agree that Pinkie looked odd in the sketches in her section, but there are different artists drawing each of these sketches.

I don't think we'll see Capper in the show, not just because it will be odd to see an art style downgrade with him, but because they have yet to even acknowledge Equestria Girls in the show, when there's arguably a higher chance that a show viewer would know characters from that than the movie. I don't think they'll assume show viewers necessarily watched the movie. That said, Rarity will almost definitely help Capper go legitimate.

EQG was more of a spinoff which might be why they didn't want to directly reference it. The movie is supposed to be tied in with the show fairly well and it seems weird they'd call Capper a friend for life if he's never going to appear again. Could go either way.

Speaking of important movie info, there was a German movie synopsis that was revealed, which more or less strongly hints at every major plot point in the movie. Most the stuff feels fairly obvious and it's not 100% confirmed yet but if you want to avoid being spoiled I wouldn't check it out. Since it's still being translated I'll just link the EQD article for it: here

Just want to say I totally called it for Capper. Some other interesting info there but I'll talk about it later. I'll whip up something for the Trailer thread over the weekend about all the info we've learned since the trailer.

I read the translations, and the seapony history details seem like they were meant to be a big reveal, but everything else is stuff we'd learn as soon as the characters were introduced. There is also something that
will anger DrForester, haha

So Celestia, Luna, and Cadance don't even get the dignity of being defeated by the Storm King, but rather a horn-less Tempest. Well, I imagine that part is misleading, at least. The seaponies all being hippogryphs explains a lot, and definitely gives a better idea of how the movie will flow.

DemWalls

I read the translations, and the seapony history details seem like they were meant to be a big reveal, but everything else is stuff we'd learn as soon as the characters were introduced.
There is something that will anger DrForester, haha.

So Celestia, Luna, and Cadance don't even get the dignity of being defeated by the Storm King, but rather a horn-less Tempest. Well, I imagine that part is misleading, at least. The seaponies all being hippogryphs explains a lot, and definitely gives a better idea of how the movie will flow.

I'd slightly edit this message. I don't really care (I probably would have read the spoilers anyway), but anyone who might will immediately understand what the plot point is if it will
"anger DrForester"
😜

I'd slightly edit this message. I don't really care (I probably would have read the spoilers anyway), but anyone who might will immediately understand what the plot point is if it will
"anger DrForester"
😜
DrForester's response makes it a bit too late to change. In any case, this is something everyone was expecting ever since we first learned of the movie in 2014.

Also, everyone, remember to vote for the season 6 episode guide in Community. I'd like to have this ready in time for the movie.

DemWalls

DrForester's response makes it a bit too late to change. In any case, this is something everyone was expecting ever since we first learned of the movie in 2014.

Also, everyone, remember to vote for the season 6 episode guide in Community. I'd like to have this ready in time for the movie.

So, that means that if I expect Starlight to become an alicorn in the movie and we find out it actually happens I'm allowed to talk about it without spoiler bars? Not a solid reason, I reckon.

I actually kinda expected
the princesses to do something this time. Nothing memorable, since they cannot steal the spotlight from the Mane 6.
But we'll see, those are just synopses, there may still be surprises.

Anyway, I don't want to pass for the typical spoilerophobe, let's get going. I had already voted for the S6 guide, should I do it again?

So, that means that if I expect Starlight to become an alicorn in the movie and we find out it actually happens I'm allowed to talk about it without spoiler bars? Not a solid reason, I reckon.

I actually kinda expected
the princesses to do something this time. Nothing memorable, since they cannot steal the spotlight from the Mane 6.
But we'll see, those are just synopses, there may still be surprises.

Anyway, I don't want to pass for the typical spoilerophobe, let's get going. I had already voted for the S6 guide, should I do it again?
Just if you want to change it. But since it's been over half a year, it'd be best if people who haven't changed their mind confirm that, I feel.

And fair enough, editing my posts.

EDIT: Well this is a bit embarrassing for the fandom. The character information actually comes from the official MLP club (sign up required) and was released back in July 5 but no one noticed. ED has that information now in its official English version, though note that the seapony potential spoilers are mentioned here too. There's also some stuff not included in the previous post.

Sigma kinda undersold all of the new info in the updated English version. The new one has info on all of the guest VA characters in the movie as well as more detail overall, so if you haven't checked out the second post on it, I would recommend it provided you're willing to check out spoilers.

First things first, I'm really liking all of the characters so far. There's a fair amount of depth to them that make them stand out as characters and although pretty much all of their character arcs are revealed or heavily implied in the blurbs about them I'm excited to see how the Mane 6 end up interacting with them. They all appear to have their own agency and agenda in the movie and although I'm sure virtually everyone will end up helping the ponies they'll all have their own reasons for doing so and those reasons extend beyond "ponies are awesome and were nice to us we need to help them." I'm looking forward to checking out the supplementary material that they're releasing for the movie to see these characters get fleshed out more.
Also by having other people that have suffered first-hand to the Storm King it raises the stakes to be some world-conquering threat and gives the bad guys a massive air of legitimacy as it's likely going to take the entire free world to take them down. I hope to see the Dragons and Yaks join in the fray during the climax as well.

Songbird just seems like a self-insert of Sia. I'm sure she'll be fine in the movie but I can't help but feel that some Hasbro execs went "Guys Zootopia had some famous pop star in their movie we need one too" and just went for it.

The pirates I'm really looking forward to. I can only imagine that while the ponies are stowing away Twilight will be gushing about how they're hiding on the legendary Captain Celaeno's ship only for them to be massively disappointed when they find out that they're just messengers following orders. Then when they're found out Celaeno will go "you snuck upon my ship to travel halfway across the world to fight for what you believe in. That's awesome, why am I not doing that?" and then offer to help them. The crew has been described as silly and if there isn't a guitar guy from Fury Road equivalent I'm going to be disappointed. The trailer showed them busting out of a cake so I'm hoping for tons of shenanigans from them.

Just reading through Capper's info all I can think of is that this guy just seems like he was created to make Rarity look good. Between his charm and focus on personal status and appearance there's a lot of parallels between the two. I'm interested to see what their dynamic will end up being as well as how she ends up convincing him to change sides. I think he's got an interesting story behind him and especially since he's going to be interacting largely with Rarity I'm looking forward to seeing him play out as I think his arc could play out in a variety of different ways.

Princess Skystar is Ariel pretty much. Her and Pinkie are probably going to get along really well. Not the most deep character but she'll probably be a lot of fun.

If Grubber's size issues end up actually playing out in the movie I'll be impressed as I wasn't expecting the comic relief henchman to have any actual depth and just expected him to go around yelling that people just got served and making food jokes the whole time.

The big question with Tempest at this point is whether or not the Storm King will end up double-crossing her before she inevitably ends up siding with the ponies and saving the day. I'm curious as to how much of her tragic backstory will be shown in the movie and how much will be left for people to read in the prequel book on her that's being released. Either way her arc that's set up seems pretty solid and her design looks cool as hell.

Queen Novo is a good Queen in an animated family movie. That alone distinguishes her. The fact that she can transform her entire race into seaponies makes her a pretty big deal lore-wise as she's probably on the same power level as Celestia and Luna. I'm sure the reasoning for her being hesitant to join the conflict is worrying that she'll give away where her kingdom is and get invaded by the Storm King. I hope she does play some role in the movie besides turning the mane 6 into merchandise and then just sitting in the bottom of the ocean for the rest of the movie. (Although given the show's reputation with leaders that seems extremely likely)

Storm King's bio just says he's super evil. I didn't read past the preview for his comic but I'm pretty sure they made him a lot more lighthearted there and the one line he had in the trailer was a joke so I'm curious as to how much of him will be serious and how much will be him joking around. Since Tempest is all but guaranteed to get reformed he's going to likely end up the final boss so he needs to be scary enough when that rolls around to be considered a threat.

Not sure how much of that needed to be spoilered but just to be safe...

Movie stuff

Oh right, how to handle spoilers.

I suppose stuff shown in trailers, official information big enough to be covered by other news outlets, and book covers/toys/merchandise is automatically fine to discuss without spoiler tags. Stuff revealed inside books and comics, I'm less certain about. The comic miniseries tying into the movie specifically doesn't cover the seaponies, so that will probably be safe to cover. The Art of My Little Pony: The Movie comes out a month before the movie, so that will probably have spoilers in it, but there will also be interesting stuff that probably isn't a spoiler. The character profile stuff we're discussing was officially released, but in somewhat hard to access places and not on a major site (except insofar as ED reporting on it), so I'm more OK with using spoiler tags to talk about it.

I suppose just use your own judgment to determine what's too big of a spoiler to discuss freely. The seapony stuff seems like it needs a spoiler tag, unless they freely show it in the next trailer.

I'd prefer not to make the spoiler thread for the movie until we get closer to the release, so it can mainly cover actual impressions of the movie instead of news.

Now, about the stuff revealed in the character profiles,
all the new characters having a direct connection to Storm King came as a surprise too; I figured a lot of them would have the view, "Yeah, I heard of that guy, but he's not bothering me, so I'm not concerned about helping you," until FRIENDSHIP happens. The comic tie in portrays Celaeno's crew as still being pirates and being able to steal from Storm King pretty easily. I don't see the hippogriffs being so concerned about him at this point, especially since he doesn't seem to have weather control in the comic yet, so that probably means this prequel is further back in time than I had assumed.

I hope that early on in the movie, we see Twilight send messages via Spike to someone, and then during the climax, that pays off while Twilight explains that they'll succeed because they have friends. Cue dragon attack, griffons diving, and yaks charging in with catapult support. EDIT: Oh, and changelings!

I don't think there's any question that Songbird is just there to copy Zootopia.

Celaeno and her crew seem like fun, though the captain is probably the only one who will get development (and possibly a name in the movie proper).

I figured Capper and Rarity would be a minor subplot, but it really seems like it will be a major part of the story. Interesting, and I'm glad that they found a way to get Rarity heavily involved after all. Capper being an aristocrat seems like it could connect to Rarity's season 1 interest in royalty, so maybe we have an official love interest on our hands?

With Grubber, we'll probably have a scene of him getting teased by the others, which will tie into him ultimately betraying Storm King.

With Tempest, I expect the details will be left up to the tie in comic and book, but we'll get some quick flashbacks in the movie.

With Skystar and Novo, we only see the former on land in the trailer, so perhaps Novo chooses to stay out of it and Skystar sneaks out herself. With your comment about evil queens, that makes me think that perhaps Novo fears Storm King so much that she will attempt to capture the heroes in exchange for the safety of the seaponies. This would tie into the consistent theme we're seeing of good characters being forced to be bad by Storm King. Plus, if the seapony stuff really is toward the end of movie, then there needs to be an action beat there.

There's also the question of that one hippogriff we've seen in toys but not any movie scenes yet. Perhaps he's one of the seaponies guarding Skystar that follows along with them, and they've chosen to showcase him alone as a hippogriff to avoid spoiling the movie.

With Storm King, I expect there will be scenes where he starts out amicable and then suddenly becomes threatening.

On another note, following my arbitrary conviction to rewatch the Equestria Girls movies, I'll post about the first one in the Community thread this weekend. Then probably Rainbow Rocks and the shorts next week, and if season 7 is really resuming on August 5, I'll double up on Friendship Games and Legend of Everfree on the third week.

Also,
My%2BLittle%2BPony%2BThe%2BMovie%2BPinkie%2BPie%2BEdition%2BPie%2BFace%2521%2BGame.jpg

Surprised it took this long.

EDIT: Looks like Hasbro asked ED to take down the new information. It's still on this Facebook account (the actual official movie account is here). That settles it, spoiler tags it is. I'll copy them below for posterity.

MOVIE CHARACTER INFORMATION WITH SPOILERS
Songbird Serenade is THE biggest performer in all of Equestria. She uses her angelic voice and incredible performing skills to celebrate the magic of friendship. What really makes Songbird so beloved in Equestria is her deep belief in the values about which she sings. She donates her time and effort to any cause, and is always willing to give back to her adoring fans that make her a star. She's beyond excited to debut a big new song at the biggest festival in the history of Equestria.

Once brash and bold explorers, Captain Celaeno and her crew are now relegated to serving as mere messengers for the Storm King. But all that changes when Captain Celaeno discovers the ponies aboard her ship. They remind her of how awesome she once was and encourage her to return to her adventurous and courageous ways. In the end, the Captain and her crew play a vital role in helping Princess Twilight and her friends save Equestria from the Storm King.

Capper, a smooth-talking (and singing) con-artist, was once a swanky aristocrat living the high-life with pride and dignity. That is, until Storm King came into power. A deal gone wrong turned Capper's threads on fleek into colorless rags, leaving Capper penniless and in a lifelong debt with the Storm King. To make ends meet, he relies on his wit and charm, distracting unsuspecting victims from his quick hands and swift tail. Capper's crimes aren't driven by malice. At his core, he feels a deep insecurity at his fall from grace, and believes his appearance dictates his status.

Bubbly, chatty, curious and forever bored, young Princess Skystar passes the time in Seaquestria by making friends out of shells and giving them names like Shelly and Sheldon. Desperate to discover new friends and adventures, Skystar is thrilled when the Mane 6 discover their world and is ultimately the reason that they agree to help the Ponies in their quest.

Grubber, a pug-faced hedgehog soldier, hails from a tribe of hardened warriors. Unfortunately for Grubber, he lacks the size of his kinsmen. But that doesn't stop him from talking tough and rough like the others. He's earned his place of honor as the assistant to the nefarious Storm King through his wise-cracking and cunning. Though he's quick with joke and a battle-strategy, he'd probably be much happier just relaxing in the sunshine with some tasty treats. At his core, Grubber is just a good guy put in a bad situation.

Tempest is a unicorn from Equestria who has lost her way (and her magic) and joined the wrong side of the fight, acting as a henchman for the Storm King. Jaded, angry and feeling betrayed by her friends in Equestria, Tempest has become the Storm King's second-in-command and chief bounty hunter, tasked with tracking down and capturing the Mane 6. She has agreed to this mission in exchange for the return of her magic.

Once the majestic Queen of the mighty Hippogriff Kingdom (magnificent creatures who are half horse/half bird), Queen Novo and her subjects were forced to flee when the Storm King invaded their land, using Hippogriff magic to transform into Seaponies (half horse/half fish). Now, hiding far beneath the ocean, Queen Novo rules over the beautiful underwater kingdom of Seaquestria and enjoys the finer things in life, like Coconut Martinis and massages from an Octopus named Jamal. But even though Queen Novo claims that she and her subjects made the right decision to flee their beloved home, she secretly yearns for the life she once knew above the waves. She is the mother of the chatty undersea Princess Skystar.

The Storm King is the evil and iron-fisted ruler of all the lands south of Equestria. He spent the past several years expanding his empire and now he has his sights set north on the homeland of our little ponies. Loud, angry, and a little bit crazy, he has defeated all potential threats to his kingdom with his vast army of fearsome Storm Creatures.

Bunch of news today!

"Discordant Harmony" and "The Perfect Pear" both premiering on Discovery Family on August 5th!
Exciting new adventures are on the horizon for the Mane 6 and some very special celebrity guests in the continuation of the seventh season of MY LITTLE PONY: FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC, returning to Discovery Family on Saturday, August 5 at 11:30a/10:30c with 15 half-hour episodes and brand-new characters including ”Grand Pear" (William Shatner) and ”Pear Butter" (Felicia Day). Additionally, new episodes of the Hasbro Studios' produced animated series will stream live and on demand on Discovery Family GO, the network's TV Everywhere app.

In the back-to-back mid-season premiere episodes titled ”Discordant Harmony" and ”The Perfect Pear," Discord invites Fluttershy to his realm for tea but worries she won't be comfortable and begins to change it and himself with disastrous results. Immediately following at 12/11c, William Shatner guest stars as ”Grand Pear" and Felicia Day (Supernatural) as ”Pear Butter" in a classic ”Romeo and Juliet" inspired love story that spans multiple pony generations when the Apple Siblings learn about their parent's love story and discover that they're half Pear!

Equestria's bravest ponies and familiar faces keep Twilight Sparkle, Rarity, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy on the tips of their hooves through ups and downs, new songs and the elements of friendship – Honesty, Kindness, Loyalty, Generosity, Laughter and Magic. Throughout the second half of the season, Pharynx learns that love is a strength and not a weakness, Twilight Sparkle battles the Pony of Shadows, famous author A.K. Yearling teases a new novel, the Cutie Mark Crusaders learn that nothing is impossible with courage and strength, and much more!

I knew about William Shatner, but I thought for sure he was going to play Apple Dad, so him being Grand Pear is a surprise. Twilight fighting the Pony of Shadows is another surprise, and doesn't appear to match any episode that's been revealed so far.

Both episodes premiering on the same day screws up my followup plans.

It's confirmed that new episodes will premiere all through August.
MID-SEASON PREMIERE: Discordant Harmony premieres Saturday, August 5 at 11:30a/10:30c
When Discord invites Fluttershy to his realm for tea, he worries she won't be comfortable and
begins to change it and himself with disastrous results.
• The Perfect Pear premieres Saturday, August 5 at 12/11c
The Apple Siblings learn about their parent's love story and discover that they're half Pear. Guest
stars William Shatner and Felicia Day.
• Fame and Misfortune premieres Saturday, August 12 at 11:30a/10:30c
Twilight Sparkle's publishing of the friendship journal has unintended consequences when ponies
start to argue over who wrote the best lessons.
• Triple Threat premieres Saturday, August 19 at 11:30a/10:30c
Spike accidentally invites Ember and Thorax to Ponyville on the same day! Confident that the two
new leaders will not get along, he does all he can to keep them apart and cover the fact that the
other is there.
• Campfire Tales premieres Saturday, August 26 at 11:30a/10:30c
When their big sister/little sister camping trip is ruined by Fly-ders, Applejack, Rarity and Rainbow
Dash tell Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom, and Scootaloo the stories of their favorite legends. Inspired
by the tales, the girls make the most out of their new situation.

UK toy commercial has a short clip from the movie, with Spike dancing in front of DJ-PON3 while she plays music.

Season 7 commercial shows clips from one or more new episodes, with one definitely being "Campfire Tales". To no one's surprise, it is indeed about the characters shown in the Legends of Magic comics.

There's also comic and book news coming later.

EDIT: Extended version of the above commercial, which shows a song from the episode
"Fame and Misfortune", which I didn't expect to have a song
and more clips from "Campfire Tales" that showcase Legends of Magic characters.

Anyway, book news.
Third Ponyville Mysteries book revealed. The description is generic, but including it anyway.
Ponyville%2BMysteries%2BLegend%2Bof%2Bthe%2BRusty%2BHorseshoe.jpg

Join the Cutie Mark Crusaders--Sweetie Belle, Apple Bloom, and Scootaloo--as they read mysteries, legends, ghost stories, and every other kind of tale that makes a mane stand on end. From Ponyville School classmates to Rainbow Dash to the Princess of the Night herself, you never know who else...or what else...awaits as they set out to solve seeming supernatural mysteries around Ponyville.

October comic solicitations. It's kind of lonely without the movie prequels, but the movie will be out by this time. Note that #59 seems like it actually spoils the resolution of season 7's "Secrets and Pies", and Legends of Magic #7 says... something about the season 7 finale. I'm not going to use spoiler tags, since both are pretty minor or inconclusive.

First, a special arc collection for "Ponies of the Dark Water", which I'm listing because of the fantastic new cover art.
My Little Pony: Treasury Edition: Ponies of Darkwater
MLP%2BTreasury%2BEd-coverA%2Bcopy.jpg

Thom Zahler (w) • Tony Fleecs (a) • Heather Breckel (c) • Sara Richard (Cover)
Collecting MLP #43-45 in an oversized treasury! Revisit the ”Ponies of Darkwater" as your favorite ponies are turned into villainous versions of themselves! Who will save Equestria now??

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #59
MLP59-coverA.jpg
MLP59-coverB%2Bcopy.jpg

Christina Rice (w) • Agnes Garbowska (a & mc) • Sara Richard (sc) • Tony Kuusisto (ric)
Pinkie Pie finds out a secret about Rainbow Dash... She hates pie!! Will Pinkie be able to show Dash the wonders of pie, or will Dash turn the tables on her?

My Little Pony: Legends of Magic #7
MLP_LoM07-coverA%2Bcopy.jpg
MLP_LoM07-coverRI%2Bcopy.jpg

Jeremy Whitley (w) • Tony Fleecs (a & mc) • Heather Breckel (c) • Brenda Hickey (sc) • Nicoletta Baldari (ric)
You've met the most legendary ponies in Equestria's history... now find out how they first came together to battle an unstoppable evil!
* Ties into the finale of MLP Season 7!

So... Dazzlings? Season 7 finale? What's going on here?! I'd say that there's no way to fit everyone teaming up against them into what we saw in their FIENDship is Magic issue, but Starswirl is making up a lot of these stories, or so we are told. Also, in retrospect, I bet they wish they gave the siren versions of the Dazzlings more unique designs.

Also, the description of "Secrets and Pie" we got a while ago was: "When Pinkie Pie thinks she sees Rainbow Dash throw away one of her pies, she suspects the worst — that Rainbow Dash secretly hates her pies; Pinkie attempts to catch Rainbow Dash in her web of lies." I guess what makes this different from "Party of One" is that Pinkie's suspicions are correct, and Dash doesn't actually like pie. Quick, have we ever seen Dash eat pie on screen?

Pinkie Pie finds out a secret about Rainbow Dash... She hates pie!! Will Pinkie be able to show Dash the wonders of pie, or will Dash turn the tables on her?

I can see where this is going.
hqdefault.jpg

Or maybe it'll turn into a "Different strokes" story. Or maybe Rainbow Dash will find a specific flavor she likes.

Well, we already know
that "Secrets and Pies" later this season is also about Pinkie thinking Rainbow Dash doesn't like pies. If this comic is after that, then it only makes sense if the episode reveals that Dash really doesn't like pies.

"Hard to Say Anything" fanmade deleted scene, not super funny, but the animation is good.

Though speaking of impressive animation.
thumb.gif

EDIT: Confirmed, all Legends of Magic main characters and some side characters will be in "Campfire Tales". Wait, all of them? Including Starswirl, that's six. I guess that means the other Main Six will tell tales too, making this more like "Cutie Mark Chronicles".

With SDCC having started, the news just won't stop.

SDCC booth information
The MY LITTLE PONY brand is returning to Comic-Con this year with extra special activities for everypony as Hasbro anticipates the exciting premiere of MY LITTLE PONY: THE MOVIE, which will be released by Lionsgate on October 6th. Making her premiere at the Hasbro booth will be a dazzling eight-foot tall statue of Songbird Serenade; fans can get up close to the new character, voiced by singer-songwriter Sia in MY LITTLE PONY: THE MOVIE. Fans can also dive into Seaquestria with a one-of-a-kind photo opportunity or get “Ponified” at the Hasbro booth at special “Ponification Stations” where make-up artists will apply Cutie Marks and “ponified” hair and nails for fans of all ages.

The MY LITTLE PONY panel on Friday at 10:30 a.m. will feature the cast and creatives behind MY LITTLE PONY: THE MOVIE and will include a sneak peek at the upcoming film followed by a Q&A. Word around Equestria is that there may be a surprise guest! After the panel, fans can meet the MY LITTLE PONY: FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC voice talent for an autograph signing in the Hasbro booth.

Other exciting MY LITTLE PONY brand booth activities include giveaways each day, nail art demos featuring China Glaze’s new MY LITTLE PONY nail polish collection, autograph signings with voice talent, Little Brown authors and Enjoi Skateboarding artists, a live drawing session with IDW artists, and more.

The booth includes a giant Songbird Serenade.
DFI1gInU0AAXAJ7.jpg

SDCC Exclusive poster. This actually credits the main voice actors!
MLP_ComicCon.jpg

More toy commercials include very brief movie clips. This has what looks like a seapony song, but I'm not sure about this clip actually being from the movie, due to Fluttershy being completely still. Maybe it's part of a gag taken out of context.

And in non-news, Silver Quill on "Campfire Tales" and Legends of Magic, comparing this tie-in to other attempts at spreading the story across mediums. I agree that they've done a good job making the comic stories interesting, given that they all explicitly take place after the main tales that we'll see in the episode.

Huh. I always just assumed the Sia-voiced character was just going to be called Sia. I never considered she had an Equestrian name. "Sia," I suppose, would be out of place.

In that second clip, Fluttershy isn't completely still; her eyes move in the last frame or two. Probably still from the movie.

Huh. I always just assumed the Sia-voiced character was just going to be called Sia. I never considered she had an Equestrian name. "Sia," I suppose, would be out of place.

In that second clip, Fluttershy isn't completely still; her eyes move in the last frame or two. Probably still from the movie.

I guess a lot of fans have just been referring to the character as Sia or "Sia's pony" because even the latter is shorter than Songbird Serenade, which can lead to that confusion. As for the second clip, it's still weird that Fluttershy's fins aren't moving at all. Maybe it's incomplete animation?

SDCC MLP booth tour! Notably includes:
* Giant pufferfish Spike.
* Pirate Main Six!
* Songbird got a singing toy like Twilight. That makes sense.
* More Equestria Girls Minis with them running food stands. We had seen Sunset Sushi earlier.
* Other things we had seen before, but you might need a refresher.
20170720_074000.jpg
IMG_6369.jpg
IMG_6370.jpg

MLP DnD dice set coming to HasCon. The box uses the designs from "Dungeons & Discords" plus some new ones. Not really a fan of the layout, but the concept is fun.
MLP%2BD%2526D%2BHeader%2B2.jpg

I forgot to mention this earlier, but PonyChat episode 2 is out, the series where little kids read off scripts to react to episodes. This time, they jumped back to "A Canterlot Wedding", so I guess it isn't a season 7 thing after all. I didn't watch it, but it's two girls this time instead of a girl and a boy, and apparently they're even more obviously reading a script than the previous kids.

In unfortunate news, the HasCon Magic cards based on other franchises were revealed, toward the bottom: DnD, Transformers, and Nerf. Ugh, maybe next year we'll get an MLP card.

And in season 8 news, Daniel Ingram is already recording a "fantastic singer". Meanwhile, he's also working on season 7 sound mixing and final dubbing for the movie.
Capture.PNG

News doesn't stop!

Last remaining episode titles from Zap2It.
24. Uncommon Bond
25-26. Shadow Play

Well, that's two bingo spots I'm not getting (current version). I'm not sure what 24 could be referring to. Twilight and Spike, maybe? I don't think we've actually had an episode about their relationship specifically in a while. The title of the finale could mean Shadow Lock from the comics will appear. Or maybe Tempest Shadow out of nowhere!

I notice from Zap2It that "Marks and Recreation" airs on September 30 and there isn't a scheduled time for any episodes after that. Maybe there will be a break on October 7 to give people time to watch the movie.

Movie pirate logo in Chinese. This is really neat, but where are Pirate Fluttershy and Spike?
1500616850353.jpg

News from the SDCC MLP panel, which was focused entirely on the movie.
* In addition to the usual suspects, Liev Schreiber was a panelist.
* There's an intro video where all the actors talk about their roles.
* At SDCC 2015, Meghan McCarthy had a script draft due the Monday after.
* They show a trailer, unclear if it's the same one.
* There's a clip(?) where they go off to see the Queen of the Hippos, a scene that they table-read last year. Now we know they mean the Hippogriff Queen.
* Liev originally wanted to use a Tibetan accent for the Storm King, but he was shot down. He uses that voice throughout the panel.
* Liev ad-libbed a lot.
* They show a clip where Tempest uses a potion to communicate with the Storm King, who has a hard time figuring out the system. He demands magic so he can use his weather controlling staff, possibly called the Staff of Sirconis.
* Storm King doesn't have a song, to Liev's disappointment.
* They show a song called "Time to be Awesome". It's about Dash convincing the pirates to rise up against the Storm King, and Celaeno joins in at the end.
* The Q&A has a lot of ribbing and joking, so it's hard to tell what's serious. Keep that in mind below.
* Andrea Libman says her favorite CMC are Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, and Chicken.
* Meghan says ToonBoom Harmony has allowed them to be much more expressive than in the show. No comment on the movie art style being used in the future.
* Starlight's Element of Harmony is Forgiveness, but then Meghan corrects herself that it's Glimmerness.
* Cathy Weseluck as Spike asks if anyone has information about his mother. Maybe a hint for the future~
* Celestia is Sunset's mother. Everyone in the panel seemed legitimately excited by this idea when an audience member asked about this and confirmed it, so who knows, maybe they'll go with it. It really would explain a lot.
* They mention that during the events of the movie, Starlight is at Canterlot High, but we already saw her in the trailer, so maybe they didn't realize we already know she's in the movie. They also talk about Dougworld Sunset existing but not being at CHS. She might be in a van down by the river.

In non-news stuff, "Dance Magic" metal cover by Elias Frost

And in another random late-night reversion to 2011, brony skit on Conan.

My takeaways from the Comicon Panel:

> The team seems like they REALLY like the Storm King. I imagine they might be embellishing him a bit since his VA was the one celeb voice actor they had but they seemed to take every opportunity possible to say how amazing he was. I've liked what little we've seen of him so far so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing him in the movie.

> They have apparently discussed Starlight having an element, but given that they threw in the caveat of saying that they might change it later it leads me to believe they might have plans on her getting her own element at some point, but it's definitely not happening in the Season 7 finale or possibly even the Season 8 opener due to production schedules. If they do I'd be totally down for that.

> Meghan's story for Starlight in the movie doesn't really check out. We already know she's going to at least appear at the festival which the bad dudes end up gatecrashing. The idea that after that happened she would just go back to the castle and chill out there and then nonchalantly describe the impending takeover of Equestria as a "friendship problem" and then run off to another dimension just doesn't make any remote amounts of sense.

> Liev Schreiber is REALLY into roleplaying as the Storm King. It's nice to see that he's so into the show, makes me hopeful he might make a comeback depending on how his character plays out.

Still waiting on all those clips they showed though. Hopefully we'll see them tomorrow.

Season 7 titles: Uncommon Bond could literally be anything but given that the show seems to have a boner for pairing up Starlight with all the non mane 6 characters on the show I feel like she's the most likely candidate. Shadow Play is almost certainly the "Twilight fights the Pony of Shadows" episode that was described in the second half info a couple days ago. How it ends up playing out is anyone's guess but I would think it would be cool if Twilight tries to solo the Pony of Shadows and loses so the rest of the Mane 6 + Starlight have to rescue her. Either way it rules out the Dazzlings from being the villains so I don't know how the Legends of Magic finale will tie into it assuming the Dazzlings are actually the villains in that one.

If the finale really is about the Pony of Shadows, I'm curious how they relate it to its portrayal in "Caste Mane-ia" as IIRC some remnant of Nightmare Moon, and how it connects to the comics.

Speaking of the finale, the writers are apparently Josh Haber and Nicole Dubuc. I hadn't heard this before, but Haber left the show after the season 6 finale... but then apparently he came back for this season's finale. Dubuc is one of the writers of the Ponyville Mysteries books, and she's also a prolific writer for other shows, including Young Justice, Transformers Prime, and Star Wars Rebels. She also wrote the Rarity Boutique commercials. EDIT: I said Haber maybe isn't writing for season 7 here about nine months ago.
Capture.PNG

And... oh... OH, I feel like an idiot! It never came to mind until I read the SDCC panel write up, and it took a full day for it to process: Grubber is Evil Spike, to match Tempest being Evil Twilight! Looking back, I'm surprised that none of the previous Evil Twilights have had Evil Spikes; even if you stretch SciTwi to be Evil Twilight, her Spike wasn't evil. Hmm, that would make Storm King an Evil Celestia, wouldn't it?

HasCon event guide (September 8-10), I don't think we knew about the Equestria Girls panel on September 8. It will be interesting to see if we're getting more specials, another movie, or at last a full blown series.

DemWalls

About Starlight's Element, I wonder if they deem it necessary to give her one in order to legitimize her finally becoming an alicorn. Given the story surrounding her original name, I believe that's a real possibility.

That's weird that they're apparently bringing back a last-minute-gag character from a relatively goofy S4 episode for the S7 finale.

Pony of Shadows better be Twist making her return.

About Starlight's Element, I wonder if they deem it necessary to give her one in order to legitimize her finally becoming an alicorn. Given the story surrounding her original name, I believe that's a real possibility.

To be clear, they've also assigned an Element to Sunset: Empathy. In both cases, I think they're just messing around and have no plans on making either an alicorn, though.

That's weird that they're apparently bringing back a last-minute-gag character from a relatively goofy S4 episode for the S7 finale.

Pony of Shadows better be Twist making her return.

There's precedence of comedy episodes setting up season finale villains, with Tirek having escaped during the events of "It's About Time". That happened in season 2 and it took two seasons for him to show up. The Pony of Shadows was mentioned in season 4 and is now taking three seasons to show up. So maybe Zesty Gourmand from "Spice Up Your Life" will get her revenge in the season 10 finale.

I checked and the Pony of Shadows is indeed described as a remnant of Nightmare Moon in "Castle Mane-ia". It's hard to see how everything connects. Maybe Twist has become jealous of Apple Bloom and resentful of her ending their friendship and allowed the nightmare energy to possess her, haha.

Uh, let's see, news, news... oh, here are GIFs of the movie clips from the toy commercials, so you don't have to keep rewinding YouTube videos.
Dancing Spike
Swimming with Skystar
Seapony song where Rarity is forced into a conga line - Applejack's hat is seriously magical.
That scene of Pinkie and Fluttershy where I didn't think Fluttershy was moving. Looking at it now, it's clear that she isn't moving because she's sad about something, but she is moving a bit.

And screenshots
Screenshot of Applejack grabbing onto Rarity in the conga line
And from SDCC, Rarity and Capper. I get the feeling this is a part where Capper is being tsundere, going, "I'm not helping you because I like you or anything." No real reason behind that feeling.

Top Bottom