• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Status
Not open for further replies.

KtSlime

I Am Now said:
The only question I want to know is if he made the Evil Enchantress song.

According to IMDB he has a credit on the episode, so I'd say likely. (I think that song was in Bridle Gossip right?)

that was five kinds of insane, and i loved every second of it.

it's been a minute since i've seen a "night of" video like this, definitely nice surprise.

Dai101

Banned
^^HOLY SHIT

That was the most intense pony related stuff i've seen. Thanks for posting that.

OT. If i recall correctly that same user (or someone with the same style) have a video of the Clown (Mr. Director, the Jerry Lewis expy) from Animaniacs with the same tune but i can't find it anymore. Anyone have seen it?

KtSlime

industrialfan225 said:
brb murder;suicide

He couldn't keep up with the intense intelligence of the ponies.

29n84qs.png

Poor guy.

KtSlime

Amibguous Cad said:
Damn, I missed that in the background of that episode.

The CMCs are learning some hardcore science for how young they are!

Haha, yeah they are. I thought it was a hilarious little easter-egg, and I am glad someone made an image macro of it.

I feel bad for industrialfan225; he will never get his cutie mark at this rate, and I'm pretty sure Princess Celestia has outlawed suicide, and all forms of equicide.

KtSlime

shaowebb said:
What the?! Okay please someone tell me if this was in the original episode or not. At 2:18 in that insane music video Twilight walks by an hourglass...and the mare in the moon is reflected in it.

This looks like the rainboom episode. What the hoof is goin on?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftvZFUg4HPc&feature=player_embedded#t=02m18s

Believe it was the original episode - this was Twilight's old residence back in Canterlot.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill

KtSlime

Myke Greywolf said:
Just learned this while reading the TV Tropes page for MLP:FiM: for those who were wondering, the now popular "Confound these X, they drive me to Y" fandom meme originates from "The Dover Boys", a 1942 Chuck Jones cartoon.

How this managed to travel almost 70 years through time to 2010, remains to be explained.

Haha, wouldn't be the first time Faust was inspired by Jones. It's a cute meme, glad it has caught on.

I too noticed that the first episode followed a basic mahou shojo, or suupaa sentai structure.

Fact that they are females, and spike acts as an intermediary leans me to mahou shojo.

Tizoc

Flying_Phoenix said:
Can I take this one?

Qqtbx.jpg

Who's the red giant robot man?
That's Deadpool, a Marvel comics character-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1R5PhReY5k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xcMxnNzp2I
BTW is that really from an issue of DP or is it photoshopped, cuz I can totally see DP being a PP fan X3

ivedoneyourmom said:
Ep. 18 came out Friday, and has the most awesome glam rock ballad ever.

26 episodes have been commissioned for season 1, and to answer your question in image form:

2m5arub.png

Yes, Faust hasn't confirmed it yet, but it looks likely due to hints dropped by some of the animators.
Sweet! Though...leaving a pony's head is very wrong =(

curiouswitch said:
Also remember this is a children's show whether we care or not. They are trying to teach morals. What better moral to be teaching our children then just because someone looks different doesn't mean they are an evil enchantress. =)
Co-sign, I'm gonna try to share this with family and friends to spread the love =3

Myke Greywolf said:
Just learned this while reading the TV Tropes page for MLP:FiM: for those who were wondering, the now popular "Confound these X, they drive me to Y" fandom meme originates from "The Dover Boys", a 1942 Chuck Jones cartoon.

How this managed to travel almost 70 years through time to 2010, remains to be explained.

Fanart:
[url=http://i.imgur.com/Kk4ps.png]Confound these prosecutors, they drive me to object![/url]
[url=http://i.imgur.com/02s3v.png]Comic: Spike's dilemma[/url]
[url=http://i.imgur.com/nIIEc.png]Derpy loves you all, because[/url]
[url=http://i.imgur.com/eiXnZ.png]Humanized Apple Bloom and Big Macintosh[/url][/QUOTE]
While we're on memes, what's the origin of that "have x, will travel" phrase? Pinkie says it at the end of that swarm episode: "have trombone, will travel" or something like that, when she discovers that the little locust things are attacking other towns in Equestria.

KtSlime

Mechanical Snowman said:
While we're on memes, what's the origin of that "have x, will travel" phrase? Pinkie says it at the end of that swarm episode: "have trombone, will travel" or something like that, when she discovers that the little locust things are attacking other towns in Equestria.

Due to the context I believe it to come from "Have Gun - Will Travel", which comes from even older generic marketing slogan have x, will travel.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050025/

Foxix Von

Myke Greywolf said:

http://i.imgur.com/bcPo8.jpg[

Fanart:
Confound these prosecutors, they drive me to object!
Comic: Spike's dilemma
Derpy loves you all, because
Humanized Apple Bloom and Big Macintosh

Holy crap it's been years since I've seen that cartoon. Talk about nostalgia, I had totally forgotten about that. I also remember that being posted somewhere (wiki article maybe?) as an excellent example of the use of smearing in traditional animation.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Choppasmith said:
I just got Sony Vegas software and trying to get the hang of it, figured making a DJ-P0N3 video would be a good way to get familiar with it. Plus, I really wanted to see one of my favorite TWEWY songs matched by to a DJ video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kUGjKAu4ZA

Great job. Like +1 (and I was first, too!)

As for me, I'm working on an european portuguese (PT-PT) fansubbing project right now, since I'm pretty sure that the translation and voice work will probably be atrocious when this show is officially picked up in Portugal.

There's lots of dialogue in this show; I'm still on episode 1 after about 3 hours of translation and timing. Applejack's country girl lingo is especially hard to translate to portuguese, having lots of idiomatic expressions.

I intend to catch up before the season is over, though.

Oh, and an appeal to Pony-GAF...

Every time you troll, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash lose a feather.

These ponies aren't made for trolling. Please don't do it. I've seen it done elsewhere. It doesn't end well.

Although it IS hilarious to see people lose their composure over ponies.

Fan-art:
Sonic Rainboom
Comic: My Little Transformers

KtSlime

I haven't started on my Japanese translation yet, I am dreading having to think in Osaka/Kansai dialect for AJ. I think the rest should get Tokyo/Kanto (definitely easier on me) - maybe Dash should get Hokkaido.

I am always impressed with the dialog of FiM, which means it is going to be a PITA to translate. Anyone know any good Mac subtitling software?

Transformers :lol That's totally what would happen.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
ivedoneyourmom said:
I haven't started on my Japanese translation yet, I am dreading having to think in Osaka/Kansai dialect for AJ. I think the rest should get Tokyo/Kanto (definitely easier on me) - maybe Dash should get Hokkaido.

I am always impressed with the dialog of FiM, which means it is going to be a PITA to translate. Anyone know any good Mac subtitling software?

I can imagine how hard it must be to do it in japanese, because of the totally different grammatical structure.

Translating to portuguese, I can think that it would probably be a little easier to do a brazilian portuguese translation (PT-BR), since Brazil has a lot of very distinct dialects and accents which could be applied to the various characters. Maybe I could ask my wife, who is brazilian, to do it. :)

However, in PT-PT, differences between regional accents are more subtle and hard to show in written form (at least if you want to keep correct spelling). I'm going for:

- Twilight has a very correct, academic discourse, cutting no corners.
- Fluttershy and Pinkie have a more standard, informal discourse.
- Rainbow Dash uses a lot of teenage lingo, with lots of contractions.
- Applejack is inspired on the Alentejo accent, using some mannerisms and expressions that are typical from the portuguese southern countryside.
- Rarity is totally the type to have a Cascais region posh accent, and she treats everyone formally by using the third person when speaking to them.

As for the subtitling software, I'm a Linux user, and I'm using Aegisub, which is also available for Mac, if you want to try it.

I know a few of these have been posted but I think a couple are new.

Episode 19: A Dog and Pony Show (Airs March 11th)
Diamond Dogs force Rarity to find jewels for them.

Episode 20: Green Isn't Your Color (Airs March 18th)
Rarity hopes to get noticed as a designer with Fluttershy's help as a model for her dresses, but Fluttershy is the one who becomes the star.

All eyes on Fluttershy? I wonder how well she's going to deal with that. And I wonder just how steamed Rarity's going to get.

Episode 21: Over a Barrel (Airs March 25th)
The ponies mediate a land dispute between the Apple-loosans and a herd of buffalo.

More of the Apple family? Count me in.

Episode 22: TBA (Airs April 8th)
Episode Description: TBA
No idea why we don't have this when we have the one after it.

Episode 23: The Cutie Mark Chronicles (Airs April 15th)
The crusaders look for Twilight and the other ponies to learn how they got their cutie marks.

Some history about the main cast? I have a feeling this is going to be my new favorite episode.

ivedoneyourmom said:

You should drop by 4chan's /co/ board or FImChan and Equestria Daily to see if you can talk to someone about collaboration. I know there's at least one Japanese fansub project already in the works.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Confused101 said:
Episode 23: The Cutie Mark Chronicles (Airs April 15th)
The crusaders look for Twilight and the other ponies to learn how they got their cutie marks.

Some history about the main cast? I have a feeling this is going to be my new favorite episode.

This will be both fire and fuel for fanfic writers. Too bad about those who already wrote about this. I guess this is part of the reason why some people find fanfic writers pathetic - and I'll have to agree, regarding theories that are obviously going to be revoked.

OMG Aero

ivedoneyourmom said:

Is there actually demand for a Japanese translation or are you doing it as a hobby or something?

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
OMG Aero said:
Is there actually demand for a Japanese translation or are you doing it as a hobby or something?

This would seem like the kind of stuff japanese geeks would dig. I fear for the fan works coming out of those islands, though.

Foxix Von

So I'm watching through some of them again and I watched the opening two parter again. What I didn't realize the first time is that for every instance that I thought Nightmare Moon says "fools" she's actually saying foals.

After rewatching I've found I have some questions now. Are there any current theories as to why the old castle was abandoned with the elements of harmony still inside? I wonder why Celestia would just abandon her old home like that, or maybe it was just to make a new place of residence and start over after the catastrophe that happened with her sister. I suppose it's possible that she also has some level of clairvoyance and planned this whole trial for Twilight as well.

Is Canterlot the Cloudsdale for unicorns? In the opening scene where we see the location there are probably 5-6 unicorns or more presented and yet only one earth pony.

Myke Greywolf said:
This would seem like the kind of stuff japanese geeks would dig. I fear for the fan works coming out of those islands, though.

I don't blame you haha. Good luck with the translations though guys. There seems to be a lot of crossover fandom from American the otaku scene and this show. It could stand to reason the same could be accomplished in Japan.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Foxix said:
Is Canterlot the Cloudsdale for unicorns? In the opening scene where we see the location there are probably 5-6 unicorns or more presented and yet only one earth pony.

It seems to me like ponies tend to live in the places where their talents are needed. A rural town like Ponyville contains more niches for Earth Ponies, whereas a cultural center like Canterlot holds more occupations compatible with Unicorns.

KtSlime

Ambiguous Cad: I didn't know that there was already a fansub in works. 4chan scares me a bit, but I imagine /co/ is okay, are most of them trippers? I bet fimchan would be helpful.

Myke Greywolf: The grammar isn't too much of a problem, Japanese doesn't have subjunctives and declensions like most indoeuropean languages. The problem will likely be picking out the right compound words for translation - When I speak, read or listen to Japanese I don't translate, and when I do translate it is always from Japanese to English, never the other way around. I downloaded Aegisub, going to give that a try, it looks like it does what I need. Thanks.

Confused101: Cool, last I checked only info for Ep19, Ep23 was available.

OMG Aero: I don't know if there is demand, but if there was ever a US cartoon show not titled "Lilo and Stitch" that the Japanese would enjoy watching I think it would be this. That said, due to where I went to school, I know *many* Japanese people I can dog-food this on.

Foxix: I've been calling people some people 'foals' for a while now after seeing that episode. It works well. According to Faust Canterlot is Gondor - I know Gondor was for men of middle earth, but it wouldn't surprise me if she also brought over a bit of the segregated communities too. Canterlot is definitely a haven for unicorns, and I am quite interested to find out why over a thousand years Princess Celestia had decided to move from the old castle in the Everfree forest to Canterlot.

The fact that the Everfree forest is called just that sets off flags in my head - there has got to be a reason.

Confused101 said:
Episode 20: Green Isn't Your Color (Airs March 18th)
Rarity hopes to get noticed as a designer with Fluttershy's help as a model for her dresses, but Fluttershy is the one who becomes the star.

All eyes on Fluttershy? I wonder how well she's going to deal with that. And I wonder just how steamed Rarity's going to get.

This is going to be amazing. I love episodes that focus on the interactions of two of the ponies (Look Before You Sleep, Fall Weather Friends), and that synopsis sounds superb. Rarity loses the spotlight... to Fluttershy, of all ponies. That is brilliant.

And I just noticed that there's no new episode on April 1st. Sad day.

KtSlime

The_Author's_Apprentice said:
This is going to be amazing. I love episodes that focus on the interactions of two of the ponies (Look Before You Sleep, Fall Weather Friends), and that synopsis sounds superb. Rarity loses the spotlight... to Fluttershy, of all ponies. That is brilliant.

And I just noticed that there's no new episode on April 1st. Sad day.

Nooo! Celestia dam, no ponies on April foals day? Worst news all day.

Foxix said:
So I'm watching through some of them again and I watched the opening two parter again. What I didn't realize the first time is that for every instance that I thought Nightmare Moon says "fools" she's actually saying foals.

Dp3bC.jpg

Foxix said:

It's possible, but my money's on Twilight being in a section of the city that's most amenable to magic users. A university or something? We know that she was learning magic in Canterlot, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom