• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My name is too offensive for Dragon Quest Monsters

Power Pro

9D4dE0b.png

It's bad enough to get this kind of message if you wanna be immature and name yourself "Asshole" or "Fucknuts" like I did when I played RPGs back in middle school. It's a single player game, who the hell cares what I call myself?

What's really bad though is when I use my real name, I get this message. Apparently Christopher is considered too offensive to use in this single player game.

I'm guessing because you can get the name Christ out of it, but even still, that's stupid as hell. Especially when you consider the game had no problem when I tried naming myself God, or Lord.

Cyberpunkd

I usually did Chris, but I was tired of using that so I thought I'd go with something different...and the point is, I shouldn't have to. It's so idiotic that this is a thing, especially when it's a single player game. Even an online MMO though, I would still question the stupidity of not being allowed to use such a common name.
Is Mohammad or Moshe allowed?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Having had to work with with them professionally -

Regex-based "profanity filters' are the dumbest fucking things ever.

If you don't have the goddamned balls to let people spout their shitty memes then just fucking disable chat entirely.

Cunts.
I'm no programmer, but I dont see how hard it can be to have a data set of profanity words, but the system allows it if it's part of a master list of names. Baby names lists you can surely get from the internet.

dottme

I'm no programmer, but I dont see how hard it can be to have a data set of profanity words, but the system allows it if it's part of a master list of names. Baby names lists you can surely get from the internet.
The issue is not the list of profanity, it is all the variation that people can invent to bypass the profanity filter. And people can be really imaginative in this area.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The issue is not the list of profanity, it is all the variation that people can invent to bypass the profanity filter. And people can be really imaginative in this area.
People doing clever workarounds is one thing. But why would "Christopher" be banned? Sounds like the game would also ban the name Tito since it says tit.

dottme

People doing clever workarounds is one thing. But why would "Christopher" be banned? Sounds like the game would also ban the name Tito since it says tit.
Like other said : christopher. The Christ part and weird religion jokes is probably what they were trying to avoid.

Reaseru

That's pretty ironic (and stupid) since the well known save system in this series is by visiting a church, and doing it with a prayer.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Just put in theduck, it's never rejected. Everyone loves ducks. Like everyone.

This one year I was flying south but didn't quite make it home, and this nice family fed me all winter, simply for being a duck.

Last edited:

digdug2

9D4dE0b.png

It's bad enough to get this kind of message if you wanna be immature and name yourself "Asshole" or "Fucknuts" like I did when I played RPGs back in middle school. It's a single player game, who the hell cares what I call myself?

What's really bad though is when I use my real name, I get this message. Apparently Christopher is considered too offensive to use in this single player game.

I'm guessing because you can get the name Christ out of it, but even still, that's stupid as hell. Especially when you consider the game had no problem when I tried naming myself God, or Lord.
It's because there are people running around calling themselves "Topher".

calistan

One of the Call of Duty games (Black Ops?) didn't allow me to call a weapons loadout "ASSAULT". I mean, it contained an assault rifle. And even if I called it "At least Hitler made the trains run on time" or something like that, nobody else could ever see it anyway.

MrPaul

Neo Member
Could be worst, your could have been a "Dick".

Big Mouth Lol GIF by MOODMAN
I had a friend in high school who waited for years until she had a teacher named Richard so she could yell that out in the middle of class. We were in grade 11 when in the middle of Chemistry class she yelled out 'Hey Dick!', to which the teacher responded as if nothing had happened, but it got a lot of laughs from the rest of the class. The teacher ended up having to explain the nickname to get the class back on topic after.

You would think it would be extremely easy to ban Christ and words that contain it but allow Christopher and other common names so long as they are correctly spelled. This has been an back and forth issue for some time, I recall some names banned from inclusion when I was dialing up BBS's and creating accounts or characters for door games. In truth I think they applied what seemed to be a simple solution, considering it 'good enough' without any concern for the Christopher's that are impacted.

MK11 costume load outs don’t let you use the words “Kill”, ”Killer”, or “Murder.” I’m not sure about MK1. Couldn’t name a Frost costume “Killer Frost” despite there being a playable character with that name in Injustice which they made the gen previous. It’s incredibly stupid.

WitchHunter

Banned
Having had to work with with them professionally -

Regex-based "profanity filters' are the dumbest fucking things ever.

If you don't have the goddamned balls to let people spout their shitty memes then just fucking disable chat entirely.

Cunts.
Nop, if you use the word boundary :D.

Krathoon

I just bought Dragon Quest Monsters. A Christmas gift for myself. I ordered it through Walmart and it should arrive today.

Shifty1897

I mean, if the issue is that the name is going through a regex filter and matching with "Christ", you know what wouldn't match?

Chris. 🤯

Last edited:

Krathoon

I just got my copy of Monsters from Walmart. Arrived the same day I ordered it.

I also ordered Dragon Quest Treasures. It is $35. Sounded good.

Top Bottom