• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My problems with Horizon Zero Dawn's exploration

Visually the game does look amazing and that definitely encourages exploration. The areas are varied and it really felt like one of those games where you never wanted to ride through a new location mounted or abuse fast travel just to get to the next quest marker.

I can't get behind Horizon being boiled down to just a pretty vista. I played a bunch of Horizon and there's plenty more to do than just gawk at visuals. When you rip a component off a T-Rex and pick it up and start blasting that shoulder cannon at it's body? Super cool.

When you hit cannisters that cause the entire crocodile to engulf in flames and you know it's about to explode and you have to get away as quickly as possible? Awesome.

When you tether down one of the giant bird's and ground it then start stabbing it with your spear? WHAAAAT!?

When you set up trip wires and lead a sabertooth into your traps? Get outta here!!!!

Come on guys the gameplay was fun!

What gameplay remains when you don't have an enemy to interact with? Being curious.

What gameplay remains when you don't have an enemy to interact with? Being curious.

Typical open world fare. Item collection. Some tower climbing. There's a cool quest to gather batteries for a tight looking piece of armor in a lab underground. There are timed challenges.

A lot of those things are centered around combat but they add context to what you're doing. It never really felt like I was just engaging enemies for some meaningless reason. And the combat looks and feels so good that I never felt like it was a chore.

IISANDERII

Depends - I reinstalled Horizon and it simply reminds me that it's the some of the best combat (and exploration/traversal) in an open world game that I've played.

I remember trying to replay the Witcher just after Horizon came out and I couldn't remain interested because the act of playing the game itself wasn't compelling, the gameplay doesn't satisfy me. The presentation of Horizon serves the combat especially well.

I find the whole argument against Horizon's movement system perplexing. I haven't played BotW but I fail to see how lacking it's climbing mechanism is inherently negative. There are things you can't do in every game, so I tend to focus on what I can do as opposed to the what I can do in other games.
I’m about 50hrs in and I agree. I love the combat, it has a very satisfying system, great effects (both visual and sound). I’m still enjoying shooting a flaming arrow into every pig I see and collecting his remains.

And I do like the exploration and not just for the sights. You don’t find gear but you do find crafting components and you actually do find gear modification amulets.
I also love finding a group of machines, overriding 1 or 2 and watch them fight one another and then collecting the spoils.

One huge thing for me is the responsiveness of the controls and HZD nails it somehow. Open world games usually have slow controls with an assload of latency but HZD doesn’t.

HZD gets so many things right, both big and small. It definitely adds up to my GOTY.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I read the game was too easy so I’ve been playing on Hard from the start and love it. I’ll definitely turn it up even more on a second play through. I can definitely also see that the game wouldn’t be as satisfying if it were easier.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Visually the game does look amazing and that definitely encourages exploration. The areas are varied and it really felt like one of those games where you never wanted to ride through a new location mounted or abuse fast travel just to get to the next quest marker.
Ya i never used fast travel till I finished HZD so much fun traveling by foot or mount

cuate

Banned
You said..

Yet you've only seen Horizon and not played it.

I won't insult you or anything, but think about that.

Good fucking lord. You're hopeless.

Guy says "gud grfx enough". To which I respond "gud grfx not enough, need more". Get it? You've taken what I've said out of context in a lame attempt at a gotcha.

RefigeKru

Banned
Good fucking lord. You're hopeless.

Guy says "gud grfx enough". To which I respond "gud grfx not enough, need more". Get it? You've taken what I've said out of context in a lame attempt at a gotcha.

And earlier you said

Unless you enjoy cinematic garbage and bog-standard gameplay

I haven't played horizon, thankfully, and I don't need to to know it's a deficient and subpar game that offers little beyond presentation. That's my biggest beef with these type of games, they focus so much on graphics and story but forget about having compelling gameplay.

then you said

Because games are meant to be played, not merely seen.

Do you get me yet? Like, people are attempting to speak on the gameplay - hell I even offered to show you some, but all you want to do is hate and act like you're smart.

Also, be fair to Pixelbox - he said more than "gud grafx enough" if you're willing to re-read his posts. n__n Also, congratulations - now top poster!

Top Bottom