• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PSN was hacked 3 weeks ago, so Sony disabled access to every game I own on PS4.

grimmiq

Yeah, chances are everyone is "pwned" according to this. It says i have 5 breaches. One of them is some forum from 10 years ago i was a subscriber to was breached. But that only reveals my email address, not the email password.

Just checked my PSN and Steam ones, no pwnage. Then thought "let's check the email I use to sign up for all the random bullshit I find, gotta be a few there" (1.2k in it's inbox), no pwnage.

Every time I see one of these I double check if my 2FA is still on as well as linked devices.

A lot of these PSN accounts are being hijacked through the emails. Options are always great, but maybe Sony feel it would be pointless if the person has your email account.

Are there really no possible alternatives that could be added by Sony then? So as of now on PS4, a person can't have a fully secured account unless he owns a smartphone. Ain't that a bitch.

If you own a ps4 and not a mobile phone, then your doing it backwards.

But so what? Why should one absolutely need a smartphone in the first place to be fully secured of his purchases and from his account being terminated by Sony if anything happens. Just shows you how flimsy af that security really is and how a alternative should have also been thought of.

Redders

Please do this! When you're locked out of your account and try to reset the password, the first thing it asks you is Date of Birth. I've lost some international accounts due to incorrect Date of Birth.

For those wondering how to activate 2FA:

https://www.playstation.com/en-au/g.../access-and-details/ps4--2-step-verification/

Where do you check the dob? Can't see it in the website ha

Same! Just went to check but can't see it in any of the options on the website.

EmiPrime

The op says he/she used a unique password.
When seeing these type of posts from time to time,
I wonder how hackers obtain peoples passwords, if they're unique.

I know a lot of people who have one password and then append xbox, paypal, steam, amazon etc. to it and think they're being clever with "unique" passwords.

Does it need to be a smartphone? Wouldn't any phone that receives texts work?

Replace smartphone by mobile phone and the matter remains the same.
by sending the code to a separate email (one that you think is safe and is not attached to your account).

What? Wouldn't there need to be a option for the two-factor-authentication code to be sent to a e-mail in the first place, then? AFAIK it ain't possible and the only way is for it to be sent by text on a mobile phone.

Where do you check the dob? Can't see it in the website ha

I don't know if it is listed anywhere accessible. I have an older PSN account that I was getting emails about someone trying to reset the password. I remember having to reset the password on this account though and having to jump through some odd hoops where there was a specific way you could have the password email sent to you without having to give your DoB. They never changed it and I could enable 2FA, haven't had any emails or even a text since then.

My (now) main PSN account, I do not have 2FA because I have a older firmware Vita which would not be able to receive games from my PS3 if I do enable it. I am not concerned for this account as it has a unique email address and unique password.

dock

After Googling, I'm about to blow your mind with Sony's incompetence...

You cannot change the following once you create a PSN account.

Date of Birth
Language
Country/Region of Residence.
This. Allegedly the date of birth is wrong on my account, but I have never been in the habit of using a false date of birth on accounts, even in 2006 when I made the account. I was one of the people that signed up for PSN several months before the PS3 was released.

STEaMkb

This is where your story starts to puzzle me.

The hacker was also able to steal my Twitter account because this was connected to my PSN account, allowing me to tweet screenshots. I have since been able to regain access to my Twitter account, with a long process of sending passport photos and lots of other info.

No online service will ever ask for your passport photo. Ever. Moreover, your Twitter information is concealed and not displayed openly on PSN, so if the hacker also also stole your Twitter account, as you claim, and you had to send your passport to Twitter to reclaim the account, then you must have re-used the same password on both online services.

Rellik

Typical Sony. Just have to make sure I don't lose the password then.

Can you view your DOB? If so, I'd note it down somewhere safe. But knowing Sony, you probably can't.

This is where your story starts to puzzle me.

No online service will ever ask for your passport photo. Ever. Moreover, your Twitter information is concealed and not displayed openly on PSN, so if the hacker also also stole your Twitter account, as you claim, and you had to send your passport to Twitter to reclaim the account, then you must have re-used the same password on both online services.

PlayStation Support UK specifically asked me for Photo ID when I was locked out my account. I used my drivers license, but they did also mention passport.

After Googling, I'm about to blow your mind with Sony's incompetence...

You cannot change the following once you create a PSN account.

Date of Birth
Language
Country/Region of Residence.

Why would they allow you to change your DoB?

The others should be alterable yes, but that shouldn't change. Of course idiots like myself who put in something else when we were younger are up shit creek, but you cannot change it because it is supposed to be a 'reliable' security question and as the OP has shown (albeit to no avail), should be something you could prove with documentation.

Can you view your DOB? If so, I'd note it down somewhere safe. But knowing Sony, you probably can't.

I don't know that you can and you absolutely should be able to. I know I couldn't find it when I was searching.

Redders

Not that I could see, I'll have a look on my PS4 when I get back and see if its there but as its part of the security for resetting your password its unlikely they would have it displayed.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The number of people that own a PlayStation and don't have a mobile phone must be tiny.

Is this the same reasoning Nintendo users give for supporting managing parties with their phone?

There should really be another way to use 2FA. My phone can't access the internet, so when Sony tells me to click a link to go to their site for a passcode, i can't do it

Macrotus

Maybe they entered their login details on a phishing fake website impersonating a real one?

Thats another possibility for sure.

I know a lot of people who have one password and then append xbox, paypal, steam, amazon etc. to it and think they're being clever with "unique" passwords.

If thats the case, "unique" isn't the word to use, since it isn't actually unique if you're using it across 2 or website/accounts...

Typical Sony. Just have to make sure I don't lose the password then.

Even if you forget your birthday and you've also forgotten your password,
I think you're still able to change your password using the secret question method.

There should really be another way to use 2FA. My phone can't access the internet, so when Sony tells me to click a link to go to their site for a passcode, i can't do it

Maybe Sony could make a security dongle/token like Blizzard and Square-Enix do for people like you.
Theres no reason why Blizzard and Square-Enix could do it and Sony could not.

STEaMkb

PlayStation Support UK specifically asked me for Photo ID when I was locked out my account.

I have involved myself in a lot of these cases and this is the first time I have heard of Sony asking to see photograph evidence. The first call of recovery is to ask for serial numbers, transaction history (the last few digits of a prior credit card). Photo ID would be meaningless.

Nevertheless, if you are correct, it still does not explain how they managed also to hack the Twitter account when that information is nowhere displayed on PSN.

Is this the same reasoning Nintendo users give for supporting managing parties with their phone?

2FA doesn't require internet access. How it works is that you will get an SMS message on your phone stating "XXXYYY is your verification code for your Playstation Network account", and you enter XXXYYY on your console or browser where you were trying to login.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
2FA doesn't require internet access. How it works is that you will get an SMS message on your phone stating "XXXYYY is your verification code for your Playstation Network account", and you enter XXXYYY on your console or browser where you were trying to login.

Most of the time it will do that. Other times, when i'm trying to log in from my Vita TV and can't for example, it will say, and i'm quoting directly from my phone here "2step verification is active on your Sony Entertainment Network Acccount. Please visit http://idp.sn/device-password to generate a passcode"

Holy shit. :( I'm really sorry to hear this. I've been told that my case has been escalated twice, whatever this means.

Even my shitty hack is making me want to abandon my PS4 entirely, which was until one month ago my favourite platform. I've even provided lots of details about the hacker in question, as I got a lot of name and IP info about him, and even the names of some of the other accounts he was using, but they just don't want to help.

Yah I wish you good luck. I remember my 360 got FIFA'd and MS fixed it within 24 hours.

Best part was catching Sony in a lie. One rep tried to tell me that illicit purchases happened from ... dun duh duh! ... inside my house. Then the other rep admitted the purchases were made from the middle of the country and thousands of miles away.

Smokey

Damn, the hacker even trolled you on social media? I'd be infuriated. At any rate, you need to go harder with Sony. 3 weeks is ridiculous.

How does an account for anything nowadays get stolen like that so long as you have control over the email address associated with that account?

Only problem I ever ran into was with Uplay, because for one reason or another, they allow you to do a whole lot without needing email confirmation.

PSOreo

Since it's related to the thread topic, is it possible to change your account email address of your PSN? Just curious because I think I'm going to be actively taking steps to make each of my accounts as secure as possible.

EmiPrime

You only need to generate a passcode once for legacy devices.

You need to generate a unique password for your PSTV. Same with the Vita, PS3 and 360 for that matter. It's just like application specific passwords for Google.

Since it's related to the thread topic, is it possible to change your account email address of your PSN? Just curious because I think I'm going to be actively taking steps to make each of my accounts as secure as possible.

Yes.

Smokey

Yep, and they don't even send a confirmation to the email address you're changing from...

lol @ the victim blaming in this thread. My Blizzard account was hacked even though I had enabled authentication, and I was never able to get Blizzard to reinstate it.

Some of these companies are easy to hack and have bad customer support on top of it.

lol @ the victim blaming in this thread. My Blizzard account was hacked even though I had enabled authentication, and I was never able to get Blizzard to reinstate it.

Some of these companies are easy to hack and have bad customer support on top of it.

Not trying to victim blame, more like creating awareness of creating an additional barrier between the hacker and your account. When was your Blizzard account hacked? They went through various 2FA. I actually deactivated it on my Blizzard account cause they're straight up garbage.

That said, most companies have bad customer service so its best to have a barrier than to let these companies victim blame you.

PSOreo

Yep, and they don't even send a confirmation to the email address you're changing from...

That's good I can change it to a more secure email address but not cool for the lack of confirmation...
Would I need to reactivate two step verification again or would it carry over?

Top Bottom