• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My PSN was hacked 3 weeks ago, so Sony disabled access to every game I own on PS4.

STEaMkb

How come we see far less of my Xbox Live account got hacked- cant get access to my games?

The point is, this whole attitude of placing the blame squarely on the user is ridiculous.

Because Microsoft were quicker to respond to the problem of credential stuffing attacks than most other online services.

See this thread for details: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1324360

Microsoft attempt to get ahead of cyber criminals and defuse the latest password dumps before the information can be monetized. Their security team created an automated system to sort through third-party data. The program looks for matching account emails in their system and, when discovered, it sends password resets to each user, forcing them to pick a new password distinct from the last. They explain this process on their blog:

As a lot of you know, a number of articles were published last week about a Russian hacker offering 272.3 million stolen usernames and passwords... When we discover a new list of usernames and passwords, we run them through an automated system that checks to see if any of the credentials match those in our MSA or Azure AD systems... For this particular list, 9.62% of the usernames matched an account in our systems [and] 1.03% had a matching password... Once we've identified the subset of accounts that are vulnerable, our automated mitigations kick in to protect them.

It's not perfect because it's impossible to keep up with the staggering number of breaches and Xbox Live accounts still get hacked -- just at a less frequent rate. Sony have also increased the rate at which they force password resets, but it's not clear if this is entirely random or in response to specific threats.

Valonquar

I would just like to thank GAF posts like this one for finally getting me off my ass and enabling 2FA on my account. I would be fairly angry if this shit happened to me.

royox

I would just like to thank GAF posts like this one for finally getting me off my ass and enabling 2FA on my account. I would be fairly angry if this shit happened to me.

+1

I have 2FA on mine because I got scared about being bullyed by gaffers telling me "BUT WE HAVE ONE THREAD EVERY WEEK!" if my account got fucked.

Leyasu

Banned
I honestly did not know there was two-factor authentication on PSN.

I'm surprised that the attitude here is so much of 'serves you right'.

Joke post? This is sony someone is criticising. It makes them lash out.

Feel for you op

shandy706

I honestly did not know there was two-factor authentication on PSN.

I'm surprised that the attitude here is so much of 'serves you right'.

Still waiting on this forum to STICKY this with bold text....maybe flashing bold text, haha.

The reason people tend to act that way is that it would be hard to miss all the "Sony account hacked"..."You need to enable Two Factor" posts. Unless you're new of course. We really need a big bold Sticky.

Solid Raiden

Neo Member
I was hacked months ago. Someone used the Sony site to deactivate my ps4 and make their ps4 prinary. I did not know of TF Authentication until then and immediately activated it. The hacker never accessed my profile again but Sony was no help in reactivating my PS4 and I was finally able to use the site to deactivate my ps4 last week.

Well apparently if you dont sign up to 2 step, you get what's coming to you. Regardless of the strength of your password.
I don't think you understand what's happening in these situations.

The OP's account wasn't hacked by somebody who was able to break into Sony's servers and extract his username and password from a database. If that happened, everyone's PSN account would be compromised, and Sony would legally have to publicly acknowledge that. We'd all be fucked.

What happened is that somebody already knew the OP's username and password on the PSN, and so they just entered those details and were able to log in. The PSN is designed to allow access if someone provides the correct username and password; every service is.

So how did someone else know what the OP's username and password were for both the PSN and Twitter? Almost certainly, the OP used the same username and password combination across multiple sites. Unfortunately, many big sites get hacked, and the hackers are able to extract username/password combinations from them. The website that a few people have posted (haveibeenpwned.com) will tell you if your username (email address) was used on a site that had a data breach like that. Chances are, it was.

Now once the hackers have these enormously long lists of username/password combinations, they realise that many people are really dumb: instead of using unique passwords, they'll actually reuse passwords across multiple sites. So now the hackers just try the username/password combinations on other big sites, and hey presto, for the accounts of many dumb people they're able to log into other sites using the same username/password combination.

2FA is a great defence in these sorts of situations; it's not perfect, but it makes it nearly impossible for the hackers to just reuse your (non-unique) username/password combination. The big problem is this though: the kind of (dumb) people who reuse the same username/password combination across multiple sites are also the sorts of people who will never bother enabling 2FA. Conversely, the sorts of people who enable 2FA are the ones who are smart enough not to reuse username/password combinations in the first place. When these threads used to pop up, everyone would say "this is because Sony doesn't offer 2FA!" As I and many others pointed out though, 2FA was never going to make any difference, because the dumb people who reused passwords were never the sorts of people who were going to enable 2FA anyway. Sadly, time and time again, we've been proven right.

DrDamn

So how did someone else know what the OP's username and password were for both the PSN and Twitter? Almost certainly, the OP used the same username and password combination across multiple sites.

Given the OP point that it was a unique password on PSN I think it's more likely the email account associated was compromised. Hence I think along side enabling 2FA they should change their email address password too.

If they have the email address that gives them access to lots of info - like PSN name, Twitter account name. So they just request a password reset whilst watching the email account and bingo - they have account names and passwords.

I'm just thinking if the security is so incredible bad as you first mentioned, then this should have been a long standing problem happening a lot more, not just a couple of threads a month on NeoGAF in more recent time. No one here knows what causes this.

Long post incoming.

I work in Cybersecurity. Incident response. Think malware and APT group attacks.

It's bad. There's plenty of password theft that companies don't know about so doesn't get reported to the various sites (like the owned site). A lot of places don't know they are hacked for years (look at Yahoo). Forum accts and such are ripe pickings for this, for example.

If it's not that, it's a keylogger / backdoor Trojan on their computer or phone. Most people don't even know they are infected.

If not those, CPU/GPU power and cloud computing has gotten ubiquitous enough to crack passwords over time. I'm sure there are groups out there trying to break into some accounts once a day from rotating IPs. If you do that to enough known email addresses, using a rainbow table or the like, you'll likely get in eventually.

You need two-factor, at minimum, on any email account that has digital purchases on it. You should also have two-factor on those accts, really, if you don't want some random CC charges you'll have to tangle with.

I actually have a reusable password I use for low-hanging fruit. Because I don't really care that much if one of my forum accts or the like are comped. Activity there will warn me my accounts under attack. But I don't use it on anything remotely important.

You don't need decent passwords on all your accounts. But you do on the accounts that you care about.

That said, everyone is being a bit mean to the OP. Most people don't keep up on this stuff. Power users are considered people who know how to do an Excel formula.

Inform and help, but I think derision is uncalled for. It sucks to have your stuff hacked. I had XBL happen years ago, before TFA (yes, it happens to them too). I kept close eye on those accts though and managed to get home and password reset my acct in about 15 min, but not before they had drained my PayPal account and overdrafted the acct it was associated with.

I agree the OP should check their email addy. Google and Microsoft have a recent activity section you can check to see what IPs have been accessing your acct.

Septic360

Banned
I don't think you understand what's happening in these situations.

The OP's account wasn't hacked by somebody who was able to break into Sony's servers and extract his username and password from a database. If that happened, everyone's PSN account would be compromised, and Sony would legally have to publicly acknowledge that. We'd all be fucked.

What happened is that somebody already knew the OP's username and password on the PSN, and so they just entered those details and were able to log in. The PSN is designed to allow access if someone provides the correct username and password; every service is.

So how did someone else know what the OP's username and password were for both the PSN and Twitter? Almost certainly, the OP used the same username and password combination across multiple sites. Unfortunately, many big sites get hacked, and the hackers are able to extract username/password combinations from them. The website that a few people have posted (haveibeenpwned.com) will tell you if your username (email address) was used on a site that had a data breach like that. Chances are, it was.

Now once the hackers have these enormously long lists of username/password combinations, they realise that many people are really dumb: instead of using unique passwords, they'll actually reuse passwords across multiple sites. So now the hackers just try the username/password combinations on other big sites, and hey presto, for the accounts of many dumb people they're able to log into other sites using the same username/password combination.

2FA is a great defence in these sorts of situations; it's not perfect, but it makes it nearly impossible for the hackers to just reuse your (non-unique) username/password combination. The big problem is this though: the kind of (dumb) people who reuse the same username/password combination across multiple sites are also the sorts of people who will never bother enabling 2FA. Conversely, the sorts of people who enable 2FA are the ones who are smart enough not to reuse username/password combinations in the first place. When these threads used to pop up, everyone would say "this is because Sony doesn't offer 2FA!" As I and many others pointed out though, 2FA was never going to make any difference, because the dumb people who reused passwords were never the sorts of people who were going to enable 2FA anyway. Sadly, time and time again, we've been proven right.

I'd be hesitant to call people 'dumb' like you do several times, almost excusing Sony's shortcomings entirely.

Sony's response and attitude to dealing with it seems rather defective, especially comparatively to other similar services.

The chap shouldnt be locked out of access for his games for so long or worse, with a chance of never gaining access to them again. Then on top of that for him to be blamed for going round the hurdles of sorting this out, and tolerating people that say things along the lines of 'im not sympathetic to people not signing up to 2fa'.

I get it; many people don't protect their passwords like they should but the default view shouldnt be to blame the user, esp when he is saying his pw is unique etc.

As it stands, if a PSN account gets hacked its as if WE the users should be blamed and Sony gets none of that whatsoever:

CaoQwfW.jpg

Bluenoser

This thread inspired me to enable 2-step finally. The only reason I hadn't before is because I don't have my own cell phone- the one I use is a work phone, so I felt like I shouldn't link that number to PSN. But it seems the risk of getting hacked is just too high, and I'm not willing to take the chance. I'll disable it if I ever lose the phone I guess.

dock

While companies should try and aid their customers to make their accounts as secure as possible, it's also down to yourself as well. You need to be educated on your own accounts that you sign up to, and make them as locked down as possible. This is especially important when it comes to purchasing things through the service itself. We sadly live in a world where hacking is more and more prevalent. It's in the news, it's on tv it's online; what I'm trying to say is it's hard to avoid the realities of security online. This is not directed at you specially but "you" as a collective.
The news is a 24/7 downpour of fearmongering about how we should plug our sinks to prevent immigrants from sneaking through the pipes. It's easy to dismiss offhand comments about hacked accounts, especially if your account feels low profile.

Until this year I was confident enough with that password and still don't remember any time I used it elsewhere. I know a handful of people that insist we should all have complex computer generated passwords but I found the idea of having passwords too complex to remember or comfortably type is awful (please no horse battery, that doesn't help).

DC1

Here here.

First thing I'm knocking out when I get home.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
The news is a 24/7 downpour of fearmongering about how we should plug our sinks to prevent immigrants from sneaking through the pipes. It's easy to dismiss offhand comments about hacked accounts, especially if your account feels low profile.

Until this year I was confident enough with that password and still don't remember any time I used it elsewhere. I know a handful of people that insist we should all have complex computer generated passwords but I found the idea of having passwords too complex to remember or comfortably type is awful (please no horse battery, that doesn't help).

Lots of free password managers out there.
I use lastpass.

DrDamn

Until this year I was confident enough with that password and still don't remember any time I used it elsewhere.

Have you changed the password on your email account associated with the PSN account? You need to.

2FA is the most absolute anti-hacking device, right?

What if Sony makes it that 2FA is mandatory for every PSN account? Is it possible?

Like, your account will be non-activated if you're not turning it on. Or it's an automatic process when someone make an account.

dock

Lots of free password managers out there.
I use lastpass.

do you use a computer generated password for all of your accounts?
how many characters and how much complexity until you are actually safe?

I've used LastPass for a while and I have more complex security on a number of accounts, but PSN was not one of them.

Ibuki

Banned

So not having a complex password has put you in this situation. What is more of an inconvenience, typing a complex password or what you are currently going through? It's not really fear mongering when it happens to people everyday, especially with PSN.

It had a unique password but they hacked your twitter too?
Either your unique password isn't so unique or you have a key logged on your computer.
It's probably just social engineering. Someone on the internet that he got chummy with used the info they learned to hijack his account by correctly answering security questions. It's the oldest trick in the book and it happens all the time.

I'd be hesitant to call people 'dumb' like you do several times, almost excusing Sony's shortcomings entirely.

Sony's response and attitude to dealing with it seems rather defective, especially comparatively to other similar services.

The chap shouldnt be locked out of access for his games for so long or worse, with a chance of never gaining access to them again. Then on top of that for him to be blamed for going round the hurdles of sorting this out, and tolerating people that say things along the lines of 'im not sympathetic to people not signing up to 2fa'.

I get it; many people don't protect their passwords like they should but the default view shouldnt be to blame the user, esp when he is saying his pw is unique etc.

As it stands, if a PSN account gets hacked its as if WE the users should be blamed and Sony gets none of that whatsoever
If somebody yells out their PIN every time they use an ATM, is it the bank's fault when somebody eventually steals their card and withdraws their money?

As to customer service, judge away. I haven't really followed that side of things, so maybe Sony are total asshats.

The thing that really annoys me is the inane human beings who take no responsibility for their own security, and then blame others. Sort yourself out, it's not that bloody hard people.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
do you use a computer generated password for all of your accounts?
how many characters and how much complexity until you are actually safe?

I've used LastPass for a while and I have more complex security on a number of accounts, but PSN was not one of them.

Yup. 12 characters minimum is recommended using numbers, letters (upper and lower) and symbols where allowed.

It took me some time to switch all my accounts this way but I feel a lot better now.
Of course I also have 2FA enabled on LastPass itself and any account that supports it, no matter how insignificant.

The thing that really annoys me is the inane human beings who take no responsibility for their own security, and then blame others. Sort yourself out, it's not that bloody hard people.

This is where I'm at. I absolutely think Sony could do more to help with these situations after the fact, but it's almost entirely the users fault that they've ended up in this situation in the first place most of the time. PSN accounts don't get 'hacked', people just get your username and password/security answers and log in.

Sony can't stop people from entering your password once they get it, but they should be able to do more to help people get their accounts back.

I don't know man, one who works from home and prefers a landline? Or someone who doesn't feel the need to own one? Shit if I know, but I just find it absurd that one should need a mobile phone to be fully secured.

Owning a cellphone is like the bare minimum of being a functional human being in a first world country dude.

opoth

Banned
Sorry OP, but thanks for the reminder to finally enable 2FA on my PSN account, I didn't really care on my PS3 but now that I have a PS4...

ViolentP

Dat digital future.

Yep. Shouldn't be a surprise that anything stored digitally of any value will have attempts of theft against it. The right security measures simply have to be taken. Just like homes, cars, etc...

Protect your investments regardless of what form they come in.

Gxgear

How come we see far less of my Xbox Live account got hacked- cant get access to my games?

The point is, this whole attitude of placing the blame squarely on the user is ridiculous.

Because the majority of the cases reported on here appear to be results of phishing. In this particular instance the hacker also got access to the twitter account.

ViolentP

I know this is likely a semi-joke post but I honestly do worry about this in the future, only owning licenses to a game instead of an actual game...

It is not dissimilar to physical media in that regard. I have digital libraries going back to the beginning of Steam and I have never had any sort of breach to my personal data. I attest that to being proactive about security. The same way that if you keep your doors locked in your home or get a security system, the chances of theft are lowered.

I really see the two things as being handled identically to each other, only difference is the options on how you protect them.

BigEmil

PS4 is 2x the userbase of Xbox so more chances of these happening

Rellik

2FA is the most absolute anti-hacking device, right?

What if Sony makes it that 2FA is mandatory for every PSN account? Is it possible?

Like, your account will be non-activated if you're not turning it on. Or it's an automatic process when someone make an account.

It can't be mandatory because not every single person on PSN has a mobile phone. We have a guy in this very thread who doesn't.

This is the very first I'm hearing of 2FA on PSN. I don't see anything in the menus for it.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/account-security/2-step-verification/

If you want to do it on your console: https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/g...nd-details/ps4--2-step-verification/#activate

Go to [Settings] > [PlayStation Network/Account Management] > [Account Information] > [Security] > [2-Step Verification] > [Set Up Now].

Radec

Wew, i always forgot to activate the 2 step verification. Done now.

I wonder though, how cumbersome if I ever lost the number that I registered on my psn?

BlitzKeeg

Well if it's any consolation OP your thread is making many people like myself set up the 2 step authentication.

Regardless I hope you're able to sort it out and get your games back. That really sucks :/

adj_noun

I wonder though, how cumbersome if I ever lost the number that I registered on my psn?

Then you use one of your backup codes.

Go to the 2-Step Verification menu in the Security section of Account Management on web browser or, on your PS4, go to [Settings] > [PlayStation Network/Account Management] > [Account Information] > [Security] > [Two-Step Verification].

Go to the [Backup Codes] section, write them down and keep them in a safe place.

Peroroncino

Feels like there's been roughly 1 thread about it per week recently.

Utterly ridiculous that it's becoming so prevalent. 'scuse me while I go and enable 2FA.

Yeah, and in all those threads there are some people prone to victim blaming, but why? It's not the guy's fault that Sony's security is a joke and 2FA [which isn't even highlighted enough feature by sony themselves] is practically a must on that platform. Why isn't there a weekly thread about hacked XBL account? Sony needs to step up their game, especially since their customer service and handling of hacked accounts is probably even worse than their security.

Of course personally, after about tenth or so thread on gaf about hacked psn account I decided to enable 2FA, but I still don't think it's a solution, especially for people who don't want to give their number to Sony or don't even have a phone [yea, it's not that uncommon as some may think]. And I definitely don't agree with ganging up on people who just lost a shitton of games/money shouting 2FA at their face.

G17

Is there a way to configure two factor authentication with an app such as Google Authenticator?

Microsoft allows this however, Sony only seems to allow it via mobile phone number.

I just realized something, but how the fuck is someone supposed to use two-factor-authentication if that person doesn't own a mobile phone?

Texting app, but trust me, you don't want to go there. I learned from my mistake. If you ever lose the number (iirc most texting apps don't give you a permanent number and the number disappears if you're inactive), you will have zero ways of accessing the 2FA codes. And guess who had to go through the pain of convincing CS to turn off 2FA because I'm the valid owner (combined with the stupidity of losing backup codes)?

Thankfully things worked out, but goddamn that was stressful.

Top Bottom