• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My rant on overweight justification in America

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReBurn

Gold Member
If it were only easy for everyone to change their diet.

Exercise, yeah, anyone with reasonable motility should be able to do that part. But it is difficult for people in many places to get healthy food to eat, so they eat unhealthy food.

Locally there is an area that has no grocery stores that serve it. It's a "bad" part of town and the population is disproportionally poor. So they eat processed foods from convenience stores and supplement with fast food for hot meals. For many it's difficult to take a bus 15 or 20 miles to buy groceries to feed their families. Taxis are too expensive.

For people with access to healthy foods there's no reason to be obese from overeating. If it's related to a medical condition that's one thing. But being fat just because is no excuse at all.

Spacebar

WEGGLES said:
I threw down the intellectual checkmate.

You missed the entire point of my argument. I was just giving examples of how my argument could be effect you and others. Nice try tough.

Hari Seldon said:
Yeah back in my early 20s I was shitting out sub 35m 10ks and doing hundreds of pushups a day. I also had no kids and was in school so I had nothing but time on my hands. Call me when you are in your 30s.

wait so you aren't in ultra shape so therefore are obese or overweight?

give me a break, having kids and a career doesn't mean you blow up on McDonalds and become Danny Devito.

Esch

Banned
CrazyDogg77 said:
By saying this you are assuming overweight people are not being the best they can be in every way.
They are not. They are physically deficient . Obviously this applies more the more fat you get, but you get the idea. My point is, why waste your physical prime? I'm not saying you have to be a model. I'm not saying you have to be an athlete either. I'm just saying you will feel and function significantly better with an improved diet and some raised activity.

FallingEdge said:
I'm curious, who do you consider to be 'slightly overweight' in mainstream media?

I would love to answer this question, but the problem is the lack of knowing many of the actress' name. So, I'll point to the picture in OP as an overweight character.

It'll probably be easier if you toss a picture of who you see almost hitting the line of "slightly overweight", and I'll toss out a judgement call.

beelzebozo said:
wow, lot of self-righteous people here.

Probably a lot more self-loathing people though.

andycapps said:
If science can show that humans are more desirable for breeding/companionship if they're physically fit than if they're overweight, then what would you call a fat fetishist? They're attracted to what the majority are naturally not attracted to.

Was this the same "science" that Satoshi Kanazawa to used to claim that African American females are the least desirable people in the world?

Kelthink

Patrick Bateman said:
I find fat people disgusting.
I'm usually against prejudices, because it's not the person's "fault" to be e.g. black, gay or have red hair.
But, it's your fault if you eat unhealthy and don't do sports. No, you don't have big bones or something with your hormones, you are just an idiot.
And I doubt that anyone who's fat and says he/she's happy with that size, speaks the truth.
Also, like 80% of illnesses are the patients own fault (Diabetes, heart attack, arteriosclerosis etc.).

Oh man, perfect avatar.

andycapps

thewhiterabbit said:
People are lazy imho. With a lil work and care I lost 200+lbs. I have no sympathy for fat people now. It is a choice they make even if they don't realize it.

Eat right and exercise. That is all it takes.

5505508993_01ddf876fa.jpg

Awesome results. That takes a ton of dedication and discipline. Major respect here. My results aren't nearly as dramatic, but it hasn't been easy either. Every day is a grind. A grind that makes me smile the whole time though.

Notebookj2 said:
Was this the same "science" that Satoshi Kanazawa to used to claim that African American females are the least desirable people in the world?

Here we go equating religion and race with eating choices again. You people are too attached to your food. It's just food.

Cheech

ErnieMcCracken said:
This x10. Having grown up in the 70's and 80's it's amazing to see pictures from that time and there were literally no obese people to be seen.

This is true. As a child of the late 70s/80s myself, I am in disbelief when I go to my kids' events and there are just all these fat little kids everywhere. It was simply not like that back then. It makes your heart break. They're going to have really, really hard lives due to negligent parenting.

Hari Seldon

Alpha-Bromega said:
wait so you aren't in ultra shape so therefore are obese or overweight?

give me a break, having kids and a career doesn't mean you blow up on McDonalds and become Danny Devito.

Honestly I see no difference between being skinny and not working out and being slightly overweight and not working out. So I choose to drink beer and be slightly overweight haha.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
NotebookJ2 said:
Probably a lot more self-loathing people though.

that as well. and self-aggrandizing! note any post which references their personal overcoming of weight issues, and use of this as evidence that "anybody can do it!" the condemnation of those who exist within that overweight sphere is a way of simultaneously putting down the past self and building up the current self, the actualized self, the self who they perceive to have it together!

dude abides, you of all people should know something about situational charity (i believe this is the phrase). when we see a bad situation, it behooves us to consider the circumstances of the situation first, then, if that situation doesn't yield a good answer for why something is the way it is, we turn to the characteristics of the person.

Jonm1010

Banned
Fugu said:
So does anyone who eats less than the healthiest of foods, for whatever reason.
Or someone who doesn't work out as much as they should, for whatever reason.
Or someone whose job or livelihood exposes them to hazards that increase their risk to disease.
Or someone who engages in any activity that has an increased risk of injury or death beyond the standard deviation (like, say, a sport).
Or someone who has any kind of heart attack, stroke, cancer, disability, or anything else that might incorporate actually using the healthcare system.
Et cetera.

This, by itself, is not a compelling argument, because it is applicable to literally anyone who requires health treatment. You do not pay into the healthcare system so that you, specifically, may necessarily get a positive return on your investment; you pay into it so that should you be unfortunate enough to have to get a positive return on your investment, you can.
If you are overweight you are more likely to need extensive healthcare at an earlier age. Youre far more likely to develop diabetes and heart disease, which are some of the more expensive long term treatments to manage. You are more likely to have high blood pressure.

An obese person will have an average of $8,315 in medical bills a year in 2018 compared with $5,855 for an adult at a healthy weight. Obesity related issues eat up 21% of healthcare spending a year or, 344 billion a year. As obesity grows so to does that number and so to does that gap. There is a reason health insurance companies wanted to discriminate based on weight and why England considered a tax penalty for obese people to help offset their increased costs to their healthcare system.

onken

If someone comes right out and says "yeah you know I eat a lot of junk and don't exercise hence the weight" then I have zero problem with that, we all have our vices. It's the self-deluded people that annoy me. At my old job we had this huge receptionist and she would always be telling people how she must have some sort of metabolism/glandular issue because she's always eating healthy and never loses weight. Her lunch was indeed some rabbit food she brought with her every day. The problem was the big-ass plastic bag full of junk food she would much on all day, every day. Who the fuck was she kidding?

thewhiterabbit said:
People are lazy imho. With a lil work and care I lost 200+lbs. I have no sympathy for fat people now. It is a choice they make even if they don't realize it.

Eat right and exercise. That is all it takes.

5505508993_01ddf876fa.jpg

I have some major respect for you. If I didn't acquire my mother's metabolism, I would probably be overweight, though nowadays, I'm being fierce at become fit. But anyway, major props to you. Show overweight Gaf that it is possible to become fit.

Angry Fork said:
Case in point: Tina Fey

tina-fey-then-now.jpg

Wait, what? Tiny Fey isn't overweight. The right picture makes her appear to be (deliciously) average, though I'll agree she is chubby (and unattractive) in the left picture.

Shanadeus

Banned
There is a way that we can all stop this from happening in the americas:

Ban cars.

Make everyone ride the public transport, bike or walk to the school or their work.

Got a 2-3 hour commute?

Find a new workplace/school then.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Shanadeus said:

Ban cars.

Make everyone ride the public transport, bike or walk to the school or their work.

Got a 2-3 hour commute?

Dude. Hell yeah.

Miletius

whytemyke said:
I really think that the reason people spit so much hate on fatties is because it's the only social group in America where you can have a justification to shit on them without looking like an asshole. You can hide behind your own health beliefs, which you can't do for blacks, gays, women, etc-- you know, all the other groups that mainstream whiteys have classically used as a social punching bag. That's fine... I've got thick skin, and fat underneath it, but it just makes you people bitching look like little children throwing temper tantrums.

That's not 100 percent true. I can guarantee you that being into nerd culture (games, comics, obscure media) is viewed as just as detestable if not more so than being a few pounds overweight to a large group of Americans.

It's fine to want people to live healthier and to not accept a lifestyle that is detrimental to their health and perhaps your comfort. However, at the same time, you need to acknowledge that your own behaviors could be perceived negatively by others and you should accept the fact that you'll face discrimination because of them. I'm not sure that I'm willing to be ok with that kind of society.

As a result, I try my best to be kind and tolerant of overweight individuals, in the hope that they treat me in the same should I display a behavior that they don't like.

Hari Seldon said:
Honestly I see no difference between being skinny and not working out and being slightly overweight and not working out. So I choose to drink beer and be slightly overweight haha.

what?????????????????

Zoe

Shanadeus said:

Ban cars.

Got a 2-3 hour commute?

:lol

This place hasn't been the same without you.

Fugu

Jonm1010 said:
If you are overweight you are more likely to need extensive healthcare at an earlier age. Youre far more likely to develop diabetes and heart disease, which are some of the more expensive long term treatments to manage. You are more likely to have high blood pressure.

An obese person will have an average of $8,315 in medical bills a year in 2018 compared with $5,855 for an adult at a healthy weight. Obesity related issues eat up 21% of healthcare spending a year or, 344 billion a year. As obesity grows so to does that number and so to does that gap. There is a reason health insurance companies wanted to discriminate based on weight and why England considered a tax penalty for obese people to help offset their increased costs to their healthcare system.
Indeed. So, too, does anything else unhealthy influence the amount that an individual's lifetime healthcare bill will be. If you discriminate the unhealthy out of the healthcare system, then who is it for?

WEGGLES

Spacebar said:
You missed the entire point of my argument. I was just giving examples of how my argument could be effect you and others. Nice try tough.
I was just being a dick. I get what you mean but... for advantages for not being 800lbs, surviving a bus crash isn't the first thing that comes to mind.

More like not having a heart attack at 30. Not being winded climbing a flight of stairs. Not needing prescription pants. etc.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Zoe said:
Some people also do not have the proper mobility (talking about non-weight related issues) to exercise.

Yep. Take my boss: he was a decent cross-country runner in High School, until an injury resulted in him losing most of his knee function. He can still walk, but he kind of waddles around.

In the subsequent years, he gained about 200+ pounds. The thing is, I don't ever see him really overeating during meals. I think his weight issues are a result of a metabolism that slowed down dramatically in his mid 20's combined with an inability to do very many forms of exercise.

Cases like this make me wonder how difficult weight loss can be for some people, especially since I've never had to actively watch what I eat.

Shanadeus said:

Ban cars.

Got a 2-3 hour commute?

i see no flaws in this plan whatsoever

JoeBoy101

Zefah said:
Except that you don't need exercise at all to stay thin.

Obviously exercise will improve your general health and make you look better overall, but it doesn't have a whole lot to do with overweight. That's all diet.

Gotta second this. Diet matters way more than exercise. Exercise will make you look good/better, but diet will make/keep you smaller.

As for the OP: Screed is screed. Sure its a choice made by people, for the most part, won't deny that. But to lose alot of weight is a marathon, not a sprint, and you're beset on all sides by people and companies directly and indirectly trying to make you fail.

I mean, have you seen how food is marketed in the US? How the cheapest food in the grocery store is bad for you? If you're overweight, the deck is stacked against for losing it.

andycapps said:
Here we go equating religion and race with eating choices again. You people are too attached to your food. It's just food.

I wasn't equating anything with religion. Or even race for that matter.

Science can be used as a useful tool to improve human life. "Science" can be used as a tool for people to prove that their own biases are right, regardless of whether or not those biases actually are. This stuff about fat fetishists desiring the undesirable or whatever sounds an awfully like the latter, especially since no one can agree what is considered fat outside of your average runway model.

Orayn

Shanadeus said:

Ban cars.

Got a 2-3 hour commute?

You're so realistic and practical.

andycapps

Fugu said:
Indeed. So, too, does anything else unhealthy influence the amount that an individual's lifetime healthcare bill will be. If you discriminate the unhealthy out of the healthcare system, then who is it for/

Being unhealthy is mostly a choice. For the small minority of which it is not, then yes, society should take care of them. Penalties for those that choose to be unhealthy? That seems fair at some point, particularly when national healthcare is instituted in the US. I'm of the opinion that that will happen within 5 years. At the rate insurance rates are rising, and with the choices I see being made in my corporation in regards to healthcare, it's inevitable.

NotebookJ2 said:
I wasn't equating anything with religion. Or even race for that matter.

Science can be used as a useful tool to improve human life. "Science" can be used as a tool for people to prove that their own biases are right, regardless of whether or not those biases actually are. This stuff about fat fetishists desiring the undesirable or whatever sounds an awfully like the latter, especially since no one can agree what is considered fat outside of your average runway model.

You did compare it to past pseudo-science that showed African females to be less attractive than other females. How anyone could honestly say that science would not show a higher percentage of people being attracted to fit/lean people than to overweight people boggles my mind. That's aside from the health benefits that the prior category would have.

Also, I heard the jury's still out on science.

PHI.JPG

I think fatties should be treated equally. Tough love doesn't do anything for them, all it does is decrease their confidence and make them eat more. Good job helping them out!

When I was 12 years old, people would always tell me I needed meat on my bones. I always had people commenting about how skinny I was. Then as I got older I started getting a little chubbier. Not much. But then, people in school started making fun of how fat I was. I wasn't fat at all, honestly. It wasn't even noticeable... but being a kid.. I didn't know what to think, but my self esteem kept getting destroyed at school, so I stayed in a lot, and started passing my time with video games.

So, after years and years of no social interaction or being outside, I of course gained weight, and became a fatty. One day I looked back at a picture of me when I was around 13, and it broke my heart. You know why? I was skinny as fuck. They just had me thinking I was something that I wasn't.

Accept fat people or not, some people have their reasons for being the way they are. I'm not saying it's okay, but I am definitely saying that people should be encouraging rather than being a dick about it. I really want to lose weight, myself. I of course read the weight loss thread on GAF, too.

Chococat

I think one of the main problems (besides portion control) is that most people do not know what a normal health body range looks like by age. Because of this, even non-obese are targeted for ridiculed for being "fat". When the bar to being healthy is set to fantasy Photoshop level, it no wonder so many people give up trying. Fat level should be determined by actual dietary health standards, not by the body type you would like to sleep with. :)

Yes, western societies have an obesity problem, I don't deny that (I currently am working to lose 15 pounds- I'm at the top boarder of my ideal range). I'm doing it for health reasons (aka I don't want to develop obese related illness issues). Losing 15 pounds will put me comfortable back into my idea weight range for my height and age. Sad thing is, most people here would still call me fat at my desired weight because don't have the body of a health 13 year old girl.

Instead condemning people for how fat they are, we need to encourage people to be healthier. This moves the discussion from being a perceived personal attack to about living health (who doesn't want to be health in some degree?). Exercise more, eat smaller portions, eat less processed foods, eat meals as little or often as need by individual metabolisms. Health people need to defend movements that encourage healthier choices like Jamie Oliver or Michele Obama campaigns targeted at kids. There needs to be more encouragement for adults too. It would be nice if the Food Channel had some healthy cooking shows again. By living healthier lives, the weight (for the majority) will come off (slow) naturally.

Miletius

andycapps said:
Being unhealthy is mostly a choice. For the small minority of which it is not, then yes, society should take care of them. Penalties for those that choose to be unhealthy? That seems fair at some point, particularly when national healthcare is instituted in the US. I'm of the opinion that that will happen within 5 years. At the rate insurance rates are rising, and with the choices I see being made in my corporation in regards to healthcare, it's inevitable.

I know that my insurance company has a penalty for those who don't get checkups and follow the advice of their doctor. So it's already happening, your company may not have gotten around to it yet though.

Zoe said:
Nobody eats those kinds of things every day. You said yourself that this is for a fair where people go to have fun and try out things they don't normally get to eat.

When a donut burger appears on a school cafeteria menu, then you have something to complain about.

No friend I wasn't complaining at all. I'm just saying people have a choice to eat what they want. I chose to eat right because I'm trying to stay alive and beat diabetes. but I know other diabetics who will consume more than a few krispy kreme burgers and deep fried kool aid balls. it's all about personal choice is all.

Jonm1010

Banned
Fugu said:
Indeed. So, too, does anything else unhealthy influence the amount that an individual's lifetime healthcare bill will be. If you discriminate the unhealthy out of the healthcare system, then who is it for?
listen I'm about as pro-UHC as they come. But I just also acknowledge that obesity is a HUGE and growing problem in this country(no pun intended). Other than smoking it's the single largest medical factor in raising healthcare costs.

Unlike a lot of other people I don't necessarily blame fat people. Yes part of it is self control. But we also live in a society where we have subsidized our agri-industry in such a way that i can buy a burger and fries at mcdonalds for 30% of the cost it would take for me to buy a breast of chicken, some marinade, some fruit and veggies at the grocery store. And like drugs fats and sugars are addicting, and some people are more susceptible to that addiction than others. Not to mention many of us work in jobs that basically force us to eat at these places to save money and time. I'm fairly skinny myself, but do understand our obesity problem isn't just one of willpower.

jmdajr

It's really tough telling people you care about they need to make changes in their lifestyle. No matter what way you go around about saying it, you get a bad reaction.

I wonder what percentage of Doctors are out there encouraging weight loss. They should be on the front lines. Personally I don't think they do enough. How about a prescription to the gym you know?

andycapps

Miletius said:
I know that my insurance company has a penalty for those who don't get checkups and follow the advice of their doctor. So it's already happening, your company may not have gotten around to it yet though.

They're not doing penalties persay.. but they're doing incentives in our MRA (kind of like an HSA) if we get under 25 BMI, get our annual exams, work out regularly, etc. So they're pushing people getting healthier, which will reduce the costs as a company. BTW, probably not going to make the 25 BMI at this exam, which is a week from today. I'm likely at about a 26 right now. Close, but it's not enough time to lose another 15 pounds. I could be wrong though, with the tools they use I may be better off than I think I am now.

We've gone from having PPO's and HMO's in the past now to something where we have a $2500 deductible option with two companies with the exact same premiums, or $1500 deductible option with two companies with the exact same premiums. I just see this type of plan as being unsustainable and see that universal healthcare is definitely not far off (and I've become okay with that).

ScOULaris

Fat person in this thread: "You guys are all just assholes! Stop discriminating against fat people and recognize that society is working against us."

Former fat person in this thread: "I lost weight easily and I can safely say that this is the superior way to live. Get it in gear, fatties!"

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Yo honestly I see some people in here stating 125-135 pounds . That is like 12 year old boy small, I can literally break you over my knee. These posters are women right? I would rather be fat that be saddled with that curse.

Anerythristic said:
Yo honestly I see some people in here stating 125-135 pounds . That is like 12 year old boy small, I can literally break you over my knee. These posters are women right? I would rather be fat that be saddled with that curse.

BMI how does it work

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
ScOULaris said:
Fat person in this thread: "You guys are all just assholes! Stop discriminating against fat people and recognize that society is working against us."

Former fat person in this thread: "I lost weight easily and I can safely say that this is the superior way to live. Get it in gear, fatties!"

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
Non-ignorant person in this thread: There's more than "Stop eating".

Zoe

Anerythristic said:

Weight is meaningless without height.

Orayn

Anerythristic said:
I'm 6'2" and 160, but a co-worker of mine was at least an inch taller and weighed less than 130. That kid was messed up.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I've been up and down various times. Personally don't care for ire directed at me as fatty if anything it's call on your character even if i have my own issues. Petty people find petty reasons to get upset that's all I need to say on this subject.

JoeBoy101

DarknessTear said:
I think fatties should be treated equally. Tough love doesn't do anything for them, all it does is decrease their confidence and make them eat more. Good job helping them out!

When I was 12 years old, people would always tell me I needed meat on my bones. I always had people commenting about how skinny I was. Then as I got older I started getting a little chubbier. Not much. But then, people in school started making fun of how fat I was. I wasn't fat at all, honestly. It wasn't even noticeable... but being a kid.. I didn't know what to think, but my self esteem kept getting destroyed at school, so I stayed in a lot, and started passing my time with video games.

So, after years and years of no social interaction or being outside, I of course gained weight, and became a fatty. One day I looked back at a picture of me when I was around 13, and it broke my heart. You know why? I was skinny as fuck. They just had me thinking I was something that I wasn't.

Accept fat people or not, some people have their reasons for being the way they are. I'm not saying it's okay, but I am definitely saying that people should be encouraging rather than being a dick about it. I really want to lose weight, myself. I of course read the weight loss thread on GAF, too.

God forbid it be considered by some here that people are fat due to psychological/social issues than just some choice to be fat.

BTW, feel your pain bro. Didn't start losing it myself until I dealt with some issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom