• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My rant on overweight justification in America

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScOULaris

I still don't get how being "bombarded" by beautiful people on television and magazine covers makes people unhappy and fat. If that's the ideal and you care so much, wouldn't you want to make strides to approach it, yourself? Why go the other direction?

Women are judged more for their looks, but it's not because of the media. We boys grew up with impossibly jacked action figures, superheroes, and action movie stars, but you don't hear complaints about those things. Give me a break with this nonsense.

I'll reiterate my earlier point: We need to stop justifying and making excuses for people getting fat. We know how and why it happens, and it's up to each individual to stay healthy. I don't care how many beauty magazines you've read, you're not going to convince me that they made you fat and/or anorexic. That's your fault.

Wthermans

Banned
The worst is the celebrities who glamorize being fat (or "big bold and beautiful"). It's great they're fine with their image, but being fat should never be looked at as a good thing.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Agree with OP

People who associate the choice to be fat and lazy with race or gender are insane and deserve to be laughed at.

That said in today's society of desk/IT jobs it usually honestly doesn't matter if someone is a fat slob.

(I'm talking morbidley obese people, not oops I'm 10-20 lbs overweight so I don't look as good naked)

When it comes to choosing a partner? Guess what looks matter. I'm equal opportunity shallow. I don't like scrawny girls that look like would snap in half if we got a lil crazy in bed either so to each their own.

ScOULaris said:
Since I've already rambled on enough with no clear thesis, I'll switch to bold font to highlight my main point: Americans have a skewed (and wrong) perspective of what is normal or acceptable with regard to weight and body composition. A consequence of that flawed thinking is the tendency to justify either their own or others' weight problems by saying that it's unrealistic to stay healthy.

Let's face it: America is the most overweight nation in the world by a landslide. People here think that, in order to not become overweight, one would need to adhere to a crazy diet of nothing but bland foods and exercise religiously. People think this way because that provides an excuse as to why they, themselves, are overweight. Overweight is the norm, and having a healthy body is the exception. THIS DOES NOT HAVE TO BE THE CASE. Most of my experience with cultures in other countries has been from my frequent visits to Italy over the years. Since I have family over there, I have probably traveled to Italy at least 10 or more times so far. You might look at Christina Aguilera in that picture and think, "Come on, she's not that fat." You're right in that she's not obese, but you're only justifying her unpleasant figure because you're used to seeing fat Americans everywhere.

I personally think that it is ignorance that cause people to judge Americans like this. In terms of the way our food industry goes, what goes into our foods, and the cost associated with each type, it is perfectly understandable why there are issues with consumption.

Alot of it comes down to negative effects of our industry and the hormones\chemicals we put into our stock and produce. (Food Inc.) Cost of course is an issue because of size of industry. Time is an issue because of the cost of living in each respective area.

The worst thing people can do is say.... look here.... this country is doing it wrong because this country over here isn't afflicted by the same issues.

I find it weird that so many of you find fat people 'disgusting'. Really?

It's really weird that you have such a vile feeling towards a person that doesn't impact your life for the better or worst. Wonder why the need to label and judge exists.

Revenant

Ignis Fatuus said:
I know you're trolling, but I'll entertain you anyway. I actually don't even know how much I weigh nor do I care, and that's because I'm not obese.

No matter what kind of smokescreen you try to put up, at the end of the day you're still a fatass and the problem is with you and not the healthy people you secretly envy as you eat away your misery.

:lol, my favorite part is the one where you can't take a joke, which both my post and the previous guy who you got all pissy over were. not to mention you then go on to both use personal attacks and assume we both must be overweight slobs pining to emulate you

Mumei

I know this might be difficult to believe, but there are people (my mother, for instance), who are nearly constantly dieting, who go to the gym three days a week, and for whom getting and keeping weight off is a constant struggle. As someone who has always been quite thin (5'7", 130) and has the metabolism to stay thin on a less-than-stellar diet (though I don't ea much as an overall rule), it's always bothered me to see people acting as though people who are overweight are just lazy or calling their perfectly reasonable explanations (in particular "my body refuses to lose any weight after 30 pounds and going to the gym day after day and dieting only means that I'm breaking even") "overweight justification."

ScOULaris said:
I still don't get how being "bombarded" by beautiful people on television and magazine covers makes people unhappy and fat. If that's the ideal and you care so much, wouldn't you want to make strides to approach it, yourself? Why go the other direction?

Women are judged more for their looks, but it's not because of the media. We boys grew up with impossibly jacked action figures, superheroes, and action movie stars, but you don't hear complaints about those things. Give me a break with this nonsense.

I'll reiterate my early point: We need to stop justifying and making excuses for people getting fat. We know how and why it happens, and it's up to each individual to stay healthy. I don't care how many beauty magazines you've read, you're not going to convince me that they made you fat.

Its detrimental because it gives an image of perfection that no one can reach. Why strive for something I can never get to?

macuser1of5 said:
If a man or woman is clinically obese or over fat is it bad to acknowledge this? Nobody is talking about the 'runway' standard in this thread.

Also, thin people get plenty of shit, maybe women not as much as men (although my wife is naturally thin and she got comments from a lot of people, too), but it does exist.

First of all, I rarely see just the obese thrown vicious insults. Any sort of fat on a celebrity woman is like some mortal sin. And second of all, what kind of help does the kinds of insults you regularly see about fat people do for anyone?

And the amount of "eat a sandwich" I get is no where near the amount of shit overweight people get. False equivalency there.

ScOULaris said:
I'll reiterate my early point: We need to stop justifying and making excuses for people getting fat. We know how and why it happens, and it's up to each individual to stay healthy. I don't care how many beauty magazines you've read, you're not going to convince me that they made you fat.
Actually most people probably don't know why they are fat. Otherwise every grocery store wouldn't have an isle dedicated to sugary drinks and soda wasn't the beverage everyone would get at a fast food place.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
ScOULaris said:
In Italy, Christina Aguilera would probably have a very hard time finding any article of clothing to fit her, even in the largest sizes available. They simply don't make clothing for a woman of her size over there because the populace is in much, much better shape on average. It's not because they "walk more" or are more physically active than the average American (at least not significantly so). They stay thin while eating all of the foods that are often demonized in the States: carb-heavy dishes with pasta and white bread with every meal. So how do they stay so thin while Americans continue to balloon? Portion control. Plain and simple, their meals are smaller than ours. Being thin over isn't something that people go out of their way to achieve, it's just how it is because they have a healthy diet and lifestyle.
]

Is everyone just going to ignore this complete and utter lie? I mean, just, come the fuck on. Its not like everyone in Europe is a model. Its not hard to find larger sizes there.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
ScOULaris said:

Different things have different effects on people. Just because you're self-determined and have willpower doesn't mean the fat person you know is as well. Not eating food for them is more than just "losing some weight."

Finaika said:
I'm thin, and people make fun of me all the time.
And I'm sure it's so severe that you get hurt right? "teasing" thin people is usually in a joking manner and rarely serious.

Mumei said:
I know this might be difficult to believe, but there are people (my mother, for instance), who are nearly constantly dieting, who go to the gym three days a week, and for whom getting and keeping weight off is a constant struggle. As someone who has always been quite thin (5'7", 130) and has the metabolism to stay thin on a less-than-stellar diet (though I don't ea much as an overall rule), it's always bothered me to see people acting as though people who are overweight are just lazy or calling their perfectly reasonable explanations (in particular "my body refuses to lose any weight after 30 pounds and going to the gym day after day and dieting only means that I'm breaking even") "overweight justification."
This is probably why they struggle to be honest.

Mr. Sam

There was a subplot in an episode of Hung where the protagonist's daughter attended what I can only describe as a fat womens' rally outside of a supermarket. The mother drops her off and the fat women offer her some cake. She turns it down:

- What, like, you've already eaten, like, a salad today? Stop depriving yourself of food!
- Um, no, I'm just not really hungry.
- Of course you are! I'm always hungry. By extension, so are you.
- No, I'm not hungry. Honestly.
- Have some cake. If you don't have some cake, you're a communist and a whore and an oppressed housewife.
- I don't want cake.
- EAT THE FUCKING CAKE! DIABETES HAS NEVER TASTED SO GOOD! MMMM, CAKE!

OK, so I embellished a little bit of that. It's one of many things about that show that rubbed me up the wrong way. You're proud of being unhealthy? You're proud of your gluttony? To the extent that you're holding a pride rally about it? Seriously? OK.

I have no problem with overweight people but people - even fictional people - celebrating their deliberate overindulgence just annoyed me.

jmdajr

joelseph said:
Point? I was simply laughing at your absurd statements in light on the attitudes in this thread.

Well I still stand by my statement despite the attitudes in this thread. Yeah some might be acting like complete assholes, but there are people that live a healthy lifestyle and don't bash fat people to that extreme. They will however not deny that people could take better care of themselves.

joelseph said:
It's a fucking Scoularious thread, you guys are getting worked up over dudes livejournal life. Add in the European trolls taking the first google hit that corroborates their attack and you got a perfect storm.

This isn't just an Amurican Problem you know. I heard that Australia actually has the most obese people percentage wise, and someone else mentioned the UK. This is not "Europeans being on a high horse", its more westerners being genuinely concerned at the way western society is headed.

Orayn

Impeccable said:

It's really weird that you have such a vile feeling towards a person that doesn't impact your life for the better or worst. Wonder why the need to label and judge exists.
I get the feeling some people are less concerned with others' health and more concerned with finding groups that are socially acceptable to ridicule so they can pump themselves up.

macuser1of5 said:

They just can't win for losing can they when they stay the same it's their fault when they try to change and fail it's still their fault.

Dude Abides

Banned
Ignis Fatuus said:
I know you're trolling, but I'll entertain you anyway. I actually don't even know how much I weigh nor do I care, and that's because I'm not obese.

No matter what kind of smokescreen you try to put up, at the end of the day you're still a fatass and the problem is with you and not the healthy people you secretly envy as you eat away your misery.

Real men eat steak with a glass of whiskey, neat, and do not give a single fuck for the feminized opinions of 120-pound wisps in vintage t-shirts.

macuser1of5 said:
If a man or woman is clinically obese or over fat is it bad to acknowledge this? Nobody is talking about the 'runway' standard in this thread.
it's not wrong to tell someone their behavior is not healthy. Judging their entire personality from appearance is wrong however as there a lot of behavioral problems seen in people without visible flaws. alcoholism, smoking,budgetary issues are all undesirable things but you wont easily spot people with those problems.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
CrazyDogg77 said:
So how does other people being overweight affect you negatively?
How does it not affect him, or everyone for that matter? For one thing, there are fewer attractive people out there. I'm sure there are many people who could be good looking if they weren't fat, or worse, obese. But there's also the burden it is on our healthcare system, and this "culture of fat" we have is also likely to lead loved ones down the road to obesity. And who wants to see their family or friends put themselves at such a health risk, or watch their spouse gain 100+ pounds? I think it's disingenous to say it's a problem that doesn't affect anyone else. There is an obesity epidemic in this country.

Revenant

Dude Abides said:
Real men eat steak with a glass of whiskey, neat, and do not give a single fuck for the feminized opinions of 120-pound wisps in vintage t-shirts.

Everything about this is amazing.

ascii42

I'm 5'8" I way less than 120 lbs. I eat fast food nearly every day. It's doable, you just have to drink diet soda, and get the smaller items, like the Whopper Junior, or $1 menu type stuff. Not triple whopper quad stacker baconater godzilla burgers.

Dude Abides said:
Ha. Nice.

Marleyman

Banned
Fat type threads like this always devolve into this kind of back and forth talk. It is mind boggling to me that people can call another human being disgusting just because of the way they look.

demon said:
How does it not affect him, or everyone for that matter? For one thing, there are fewer attractive people out there. I'm sure there are many people who could be good looking if they weren't fat, or worse, obese.

Let me isolate this and talk about it. So people should change to adhere to society's idea of beauty right. They should change themselves to appeal to you. Get over your own self-importance. If you don't consider someone else attractive find someone else.

Orayn

Marleyman said:
Fat type threads like this always devolve into this kind of back and forth talk. It is mind boggling to me that people can call another human being disgusting just because of the way they look.
That's just what a disgusting fatty abomination would say. You should be ashamed, you vile, lazy monster![/scoularis]

Marleyman

Banned
ascii42 said:
I'm 5'8" I way less than 120 lbs. I eat fast food nearly every day. It's doable, you just have to drink diet soda, and get the smaller items, like the Whopper Junior, or $1 menu type stuff. Not triple whopper quad stacker baconater godzilla burgers.

You unlocked the secret; congrats.

Mael

ascii42 said:

Ha. Nice.
How about you just drop the whole soda thing? I mean water is that unhealthy?

ScOULaris

ascii42 said:
Not triple whopper quad stacker baconater godzilla burgers.
This line made me
KuGsj.gif
for some reason.

From a nutritional standpoint, I definitely wouldn't recommend eating fast food every day, even if it is smaller portions.

Ignis Fatuus said:

Shit, at least we are all better human beings than you.

IceCold

ascii42 said:

Ha. Nice.

You're on the other side of the spectrum though. Being that skinny is... ugh...

LuchaShaq

Banned
dark10x said:
I'm overweight (6ft 225lbs) and unable to lose weight properly as a result of SSRI use. Unfortunately, attempts to switch medications or stop entirely right now simply aren't possible. I put on over 20 lbs since beginning this medicine back in April. There was a period where I was not eating well, but I've since ceased that behavior. Exercise and watching what I eat isn't helping.

For every one person with a legitimate issue like this there are 100+ that make up some nonsense as an excuse.

If it makes you feel any better your dedication to exercising and being watchful of your diet may not be helping you LOSE weight but it is almost certainly helping you NOT GAIN more weight.

At least you're trying.

I have a ton of respect for this 350 lb dude who comes to my gym all the time, I see him almost daily but he probably has only lost ten? in the last year but he is always busting his ass. Odds are he still eats like shit at home but he has my respect for sure unlike most people skinny/fat/or in shape.

andycapps

macuser1of5 said:

That and working out 3 times a week is probably not enough if you're trying to lose weight. 5-6 days is more beneficial. Also, I'd be curious what heartrate is being hit during these workouts and for how long. Not all workouts are created the same.

Orayn

IceCold said:
You're on the other side of the spectrum though. Being that skinny is... ugh...
It's okay, at least we know ascii42 a virtuous, hard-working person because of the direct link between skinniness and goodness.

GoutPatrol said:
Is everyone just going to ignore this complete and utter lie? I mean, just, come the fuck on. Its not like everyone in Europe is a model. Its not hard to find larger sizes there.

I said something on the second page. :(

Mind you it was about another poster but...

jmdajr

ErnieMcCracken said:
Dude is killing it in here.

Lol. To be fair REAL men, tough as nails motherfuckers, probably don't post on internet gaming forums. They are out hunting a bear or something. I sure as heck aren't a man by those standards.

The day society breaks down I'm not going to be a very good hunter!

Impeccable said:

While I wouldn't say that I find fat people generally disgusting, I think it's completely normal that people make some judgements about others on a regular basis.

Have you ever known someone in your life who was just lazy? I mean super lazy. Lived off their parents for years, didn't want to find a job, didn't do shit with themselves. I'm sure you thought "damn, that dude is fucking lazy".

Well, how are we not supposed to think something when we see a person that is morbidly obese?

Judgements like those are a part of human nature. We see, and we judge. Some are just more vocal and condemning with their judgements.

Forever

Banned
Some of the posts in this thread really illustrate a common personality problem I find in fat people: They're so insecure and unhappy with themselves that they lash out at anyone around them in order to make themselves feel better.

I can understand it a bit. There was a period when I ate unhealthily and lived a sedentary lifestyle and all that pent up energy made me really aggressive. If I lived my entire life that way I can imagine that the jealousy and self-loathing would make me try to put down others too. Still, there's an unusually high correlation between obese people and shitty attitudes.

Spacebar

Do any of you not feel a social responsibility to not be fat?

What if you're in a burning bus and you're too fat to get off the bus quickly leaving others to die.

What if you're walking across the street with your child and a car doesn't see you. Are you physically able to get out of the way?

What if someone is trying to pull you out of a car from a bad accident, but you're too fat to get out and die.

There is tons of situations you could be in that an outcome would be different if you weren't fat. I feel like I should always be able to jump into action if need be. I'm not saying you need to be spider-man, but you should be able to run, jump and lift a decent amount of weight for your size.

Finaika

ascii42 said:
You're just young. Once you hit a certain age you can say goodbye to your high metabolism.

Marleyman

Banned
Dude Abides said:

This reminds me of Ron Swanson.

CrazyDogg77 said:
They just can't win for losing can they when they stay the same it's their fault when they try to change and fail it's still their fault.
? I'm just pointing out that 'constantly dieting' usually means 'gonna eat veggies and water this week' and you end up gorging the next because you are going overboard in suppressing impulsive eating. I've done it in the past and I'm sure a lot of other people have as well.
andycapps said:
That and working out 3 times a week is probably not enough if you're trying to lose weight. 5-6 days is more beneficial. Also, I'd be curious what heartrate is being hit during these workouts and for how long. Not all workouts are created the same.
This too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom