• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My rant on overweight justification in America

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mael

macuser1of5 said:
? I'm just pointing out that 'constantly dieting' usually means 'gonna eat veggies and water this week' and you end up gorging the next because you are going overboard in suppressing impulsive eating. I've done it in the past and I'm sure a lot of other people have as well.

This too.
ok what's so bad about water though?
I'm all for a beer or 2 but come on this is ridiculous

Spacebar said:
Do any of you not feel a social responsibility to not be fat?

What if you're in a burning bus and you're too fat to get off the bus quickly leaving others to die.

What if you're walking across the street with your child and a car doesn't see you. Are you physically able to get out of the way?

What if someone is trying to pull you out of a car from a bad accident, but you're too fat to get out and die.

There is tons of situations you could be in that an outcome would be different if you weren't fat. I feel like I should always be able to jump into action if need be. I'm not saying you need to be spider-man, but you should be able to run, jump and lift a decent amount of weight for your size.

Wow.

Spacebar said:

What if you're in a burning bus and you're too fat to get off the bus quickly leaving others to die.

What if you're walking across the street with your child and a car doesn't see you. Are you physically able to get out of the way?

What if someone is trying to pull you out of a car from a bad accident, but you're too fat to get out and die.

There is tons of situations you could be in that an outcome would be different if you weren't fat. I feel like I should always be able to jump into action if need be. I'm not saying you need to be spider-man, but you should be able to run, jump and lift a decent amount of weight for your size.

Welp! That's all folks! See you next topic.

Mumei

macuser1of5 said:
This is probably why they struggle to be honest.

I don't really know much about the particulars, so possibly. I just know that the cycle goes:

Dieting -> Lose 20 - 30 pounds -> Continue Dieting for several months -> No Weight / Gain Loss -> Get Discouraged and start to fall off slowly -> Eat normally (and I don't mean like a glutton; I mean like normal healthy eating) -> Regain the weight -> Get depressed about weight gain -> Go on a diet again

I mean it's easy to say that she should, instead of dieting the way I'm talking about, start a long-term sustainable diet, but when she does that she does not lose any weight at all.

Marleyman

Banned
Forever said:
Some of the posts in this thread really illustrate a common personality problem I find in fat people: They're so insecure and unhappy with themselves that they lash out at anyone around them in order to make themselves feel better.

Whoa...most of the posts in this thread have been people lashing out at overweight people; hell the OP is about that.

Forever said:
Still, there's an unusually high correlation between obese people and shitty attitudes.

Have you read any of this thread? Overweight people are getting absolutely SHIT on.

Orayn

Spacebar said:

This thread delivers.

Mael

Spacebar said:

Not at all but I feel a social responsability in not being a dick though

Dude Abides said:
Real men eat steak with a glass of whiskey, neat, and do not give a single fuck for the feminized opinions of 120-pound wisps in vintage t-shirts.
Nah, your idea of a real man eats Cheetos with a can of Sprite and cries himself to sleep hoping that he won't break another mattress.

jmdajr

Spacebar said:

I've thought of things like this. Honestly people here take the elevator to get to the 2nd floor! Trust me they are not handicapped. If an emergency comes up it would be nice to walk, run, take the stairs or whatever you need to do to meet the challenge.

edit: LOL I guess everyone thinks you're an asshole. I think they took your point the wrong way. I understand the gist of it.

reggie

Banned
Spacebar said:

These are all non issues, clearly if you are overweight it's impossible to even get into a bus or car.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Mumei said:
I don't really know much about the particulars, so possibly. I just know that the cycle goes:

Dieting -> Lose 20 - 30 pounds -> Continue Dieting for several months -> No Weight / Gain Loss -> Get Discouraged and start to fall off slowly -> Eat normally (and I don't mean like a glutton; I mean like normal healthy eating) -> Regain the weight -> Get depressed about weight gain -> Go on a diet again

I mean it's easy to say that she should, instead of dieting the way I'm talking about, start a long-term sustainable diet, but when she does that she does not lose any weight at all.

For the vast majority of people if you are gaining 20-30 lbs you are not "eating normally" whatsoever.

GAF hates fat people? Who'da thunk?

I've responded to threads like this in the past, and what I learned is that GAF has some sort of pathological hatred of overweight people that I will never understand. I'll never understand the motivation. It must be some sort of self-esteem thing that makes so many peope strike out at others who have no effect on their lives.

As I've said before, feel free to hate, but own up to being a hater. If you're a muslim who hates fat people, don't get offended when someone complains about being sat next to you on an airplane for a life choice you made. It's apparently such a valid fucking response.

I think that America has an obesity problem, but I am sick of the global American groupthink stereotypes that get pasted onto "us." There's 300+ million of us; not all of us justify obesity, not all of us eat at McDonalds or stuff are faces, and not all of us are obese. As somebody who exercises almost every day and who generally watches what he eats (although I drink too much and splurge on the weekends), go fuck yourself.

Revenant

Ignis Fatuus said:
Nah, your idea of a real man eats Cheetos with a can of Sprite and cries himself to sleep hoping that he won't break another mattress.

counter troll? or are you for real? because if so :lol

CrazyDogg77 said:
So if an overweight person is eating healthy foods and an appropriate amount of them they should eat less?

Huh? If an overweight person is eating correctly then they probably won't be overweight. And if they still are then there is obviously a physiological issue unrelated to their diet.

Mael

No seriously can someone tell me what's so bad about water that they can't entertain getting anything but soda?

bangai-o

Banned
Spacebar said:

i am picturing that movie where Sylvester Stallone had to evacuate everyone out of a collapsed tunnel. How hard would it have been for him if everyone were fat?

Revenant

Mael said:
No seriously can someone tell me what's so bad about water that they can't entertain getting anything but soda?

most people i know that dont drink water say they hate the taste, I'll never get that though. Tastes fine and it feels a lot better going down than carbonated beverages.

Deified Data said:

I've responded to threads like this in the past, and what I learned is that GAF has some sort of pathological hatred of overweight people that I will never understand. I'll never understand the motivation. It must be some sort of self-esteem thing that makes so many peope strike out at others who have no effect on their lives.

As I've said before, feel free to hate, but own up to being a hater. If you're a muslim who hates fat people, don't get offended when someone complains about being sat next to you on an airplane for a life choice you made. It's apparently such a valid fucking response.

It's just a way for them to boost their self esteem. No matter what's going on in their life at least they can say they aren't fat

Marleyman

Banned
Spacebar said:

131443075153-Abandon_thread_Jim.gif

ascii42 said:
I'm 5'8" I way less than 120 lbs. I eat fast food nearly every day. It's doable, you just have to drink diet soda, and get the smaller items, like the Whopper Junior, or $1 menu type stuff. Not triple whopper quad stacker baconater godzilla burgers.

You realize you have an absolutely ridiculous metabolism, right? You're also like 20 lbs underweight, at least.

Joe Shlabotnik said:
Huh? If an overweight person is eating correctly then they probably won't be overweight. And if they still are then there is obviously a physiological issue unrelated to their diet.

Ding Ding Ding! Many people actually do have these problems but its just better to overlook them right?

andycapps

Deified Data said:

Wait a second, are you comparing a person choosing to be fat as the same thing as choosing a specific religion? That food can be the same thing as religion to some?

About water "tasting" bad. It's all in what you're used to. For me, I drink it and black coffee only. Both are good for me. Coffee speeds up my metabolism and I burn more calories. If I add a bunch of sugar or flavoring to it, I start to outweigh the benefits. Water is obviously great regardless. But at this point, after being so used to water, if I drink soda it just tastes too sweet and I think about how I'm drinking a ridiculous amount of calories on one sitting and that it's just absolutely unnecessary.

Jme

Spacebar said:

EPKc4.png

CrazyDogg77 said:
Ding Ding Ding! Many people actually do have these problems but its just better to overlook them right?
While it's true there are a small number of people with issues or medication that contributes to obesity, I don't think it is reasonable at all to conclude this is why the majority of americans are overweight.

Mael

Revenant said:
most people i know that dont drink water say they hate the taste, I'll never get that though. Tastes fine and it feels a lot better going down than carbonated beverages.
But it's water! It has no taste to speak off!
And also it's insanely cheap as far as beverage goes.

The Albatross said:
I drink water, but I also like to drink soda, beer, wine, etc.

Well ok but when you hear someone say that instead of taking soda they need to take diet soda, well might as well go all the way and take the healthy choice.
I still wonder what's in the decafeined diet Coca personnally

LuchaShaq

Banned
CrazyDogg77 said:

The 1-2% exception to the rule that most people are fat due to lazyness, apathy, and bad choices.

Orayn

andycapps said:
Wait a second, are you comparing a person choosing to be fat as the same thing as choosing a specific religion? That food can be the same thing as religion to some?
Well, they are both things you choose for yourself. Shouldn't we be able to criticize them with the same savagery?

Cheech

Orayn said:
I get the feeling some people are less concerned with others' health and more concerned with finding groups that are socially acceptable to ridicule so they can pump themselves up.

Yeah, pretty much this. I guarantee the over-the-top fatty haters in this thread lead pathetic lives.

I lost 50 pounds this year. It's a bitch. But until you walk a mile in somebody's shoes, you really just have no idea and come across as an asshole when you say things like "fat people are lazy and untrustworthy". FFS. The reality is, "People who say things like 'fat people are lazy and untrustworthy' have self esteem issues and are unhappy with their lives."

I guess I have a unique window on this due to very recent and substantial weight loss, but I can't blame a significant portion of overweight people for their condition. When I made the decision to lose that weight, it wasn't my own personal demons I had to overcome. It was breaking free of my American societal norm. My friends are fat, my family is fat, my co-workers are fat, most of the food for sale in markets and restaurants is horrendously unhealthy.

I'm living proof that it's doable, but it is hellishly hard to do, at least for the first month or so. After you get into new routines, it gets better. Now, do I look down on people who haven't taken these steps yet? No. They're complacent, and I wish they would find the motivation I did, but I don't look at them as lazy. I look at them as trapped within American society, if that makes any sense.

Joe Shlabotnik said:
But it's still cool to hate them, right?

diffusionx

Gold Member
ascii42 said:
I'm 5'8" I way less than 120 lbs. I eat fast food nearly every day. It's doable, you just have to drink diet soda, and get the smaller items, like the Whopper Junior, or $1 menu type stuff. Not triple whopper quad stacker baconater godzilla burgers.

How old are you? I was able to do that when I was in college and walking 2-4 miles a day. Once I left, and my metabolism slowed, the weight came on. Enjoy it while it lasts!

The weight is gone but that is because I had to transform my lifestyle. No more fast food, little processed food, meats to a minimum (and no steak/beef at all), exercise regularly. It's not about dieting and hitting the gym to look good for the summer, it's about changing how you live.

edit: and it's not like there aren't benefits to this outside of appearance.

Cheech said:
It was breaking free of my American societal norm. My friends are fat, my family is fat, my co-workers are fat, most of the food for sale in markets and restaurants is horrendously unhealthy.

Yes, this. It really is about breaking free from the American culture, which emphasizes abundance in all its forms. It's not a good thing.

jmdajr

macuser1of5 said:
While it's true there are a small number of people with issues or medication that contributes to obesity, I don't think it is reasonable at all to conclude this is why the majority of americans are overweight.

The main issue is lifestyle no doubt. Can't use the small percentage of medical issues as an excuse for everyone.

andycapps

Orayn said:
Well, they are both things you choose for yourself. Shouldn't we be able to criticize them with the same savagery?

No.. If someone's identity is tied that much to food that it could be equated with religion, then they need to see a behavioral therapist.

ScOULaris

andycapps said:
No.. If someone's identity is tied that much to food that it could be equated with religion, then they need to see a behavioral therapist.
Not to mention being Muslim wouldn't cause you to take up two seats on an airplane.

Fritz

Deified Data said:

To be frank, this is certainly not a GAF thing. Everybody has animosities towards overweight people, and that includes probably 80% of overweight people themselves. People are just not that outspoken in real life.

Don't ask me where the sentiments come from though. My guess is that it is correlated to the (sub)conscious guilt everybody feels when he/she overindulges. That again is quite probably cultural/religious indoctrination.

andycapps said:

About water "tasting" bad. It's all in what you're used to. For me, I drink it and black coffee only. Both are good for me. Coffee speeds up my metabolism and I burn more calories. If I add a bunch of sugar or flavoring to it, I start to outweigh the benefits. Water is obviously great regardless. But at this point, after being so used to water, if I drink soda it just tastes too sweet and I think about how I'm drinking a ridiculous amount of calories on one sitting and that it's just absolutely unnecessary.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Whether you're choosing to be fat or be Muslim, you're making a choice that may lead some to hate you. Religion can effect one's health, diet, and lifestyle every bit as much as being fat does, if in different ways. If you hate one man's choice, you're okay with the hatred of others. I'm not putting words in your mouth, just stating a logical conclusion.

ScOULaris said:
Not to mention being Muslim wouldn't cause you to take up two seats on an airplane.
No, being Muslim comes with it's own host of airplane woes. But it's cool, because they made that choice and have to live with it, right?

Spacebar

Guys I'm not trying to troll at all. The fat people can complain all they want about being made fun, etc. but I can't complain about a fat person putting my life in jeopardy?

During the east coast earthquake we had to evacuate our building. Guess who was holding up the exits? Yea, two overweight ladies who could barely walk 50 feet without stopping for a break. I know the earthquake wasn't that bad, but it's still an example of putting others in danger because you just don't care.

I'm not talking about people who are a few pounds over weight. I'm talking about the people 350+ who can barely walk half the time etc. You put yourself and others at risk not be capable of doing basic physical things.

Orayn

andycapps said:
I'm just going with the flow of this thread: People are fat by their own volition, so it should be socially acceptable to hate them for it. Why not religion too?

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Saddest thing in this thread is still that Christina Aguilera picture.

Forearms

I'm being bombarded with McDonalds ads because of this thread!

Also, some parts of being fat are a choice, and some are genetics. Most obese, and morbidly obese people, are making a choice to stay that way. So, just like with religion, I believe they should be open to criticism on their choices.

Hell, my Japanese father-in-law told me I was fat when I first met him. He was right, I was 5' 11" and 220lbs. You know what I did? I lost the fucking weight... now I'm in the best shape of my life (165 lbs). Sometimes I wonder if obese people just don't have someone giving them a reality check, so they just think it's ok as no one calls them out on it...

jmdajr

Spacebar said:
Guys I'm not trying to troll at all. The fat people can complain all they want about being made fun, etc. but I can't complain about a fat person putting my life in jeopardy?

During the east coast earthquake we had to evacuate our building. Guess who was holding up the exits? Yea, two overweight ladies who could barely walk 50 feet without stopping for a break. I know the earthquake wasn't that bad, but it's still an example of putting others in danger because you just don't care.

I'm not talking about people who are a few pounds over weight. I'm talking about the people 350+ who can barely walk half the time etc. You put yourself and others at risk not be capable of doing basic physical things.

Hey man, I never thought you were trolling. Which is a good thing you said so, because if not I would have felt stupid for defending you. heh

Deified Data said:
But it's still cool to hate them, right?

What? No, where did I say that? I don't think it's right to bag on people for being obese (I'm somewhat overweight myself). I was just responding to a weird counterpoint that an effective method for losing weight via dietary improvement isn't effective for people with non-dietary causes.

Well, yes. Obviously.

ScOULaris

Forearms said:
Hell, my Japanese father-in-law told me I was fat when I first met him. He was right, I was 5' 11" and 220lbs. You know what I did? I lost the fucking weight... now I'm in the best shape of my life (165 lbs). Sometimes I wonder if obese people just don't have someone giving them a reality check, so they just think it's ok as no one calls them out on it...
Your Japanese father-in-law sounds badass. Shame-based culture for the win! (not even kidding)

I've heard about Asian parents being very forthright about their children gaining weight. I think it can be a good thing, depending on how they go about it. Good on you for having the self-respect and willpower to take pop's advice.

Spacebar said:

Sorry you have to live in a mutually-supportive society with other people. Become a hermit if it bothers you so much.

Joe Shlabotnik said:
What? No, where did I say that? I don't think it's right to bag on people for being obese (I'm somewhat overweight myself). I was just responding to a weird counterpoint that an effective method for losing weight via dietary improvement isn't effective for people with non-dietary causes.

Well, yes. Obviously.
Sorry, misinterpreted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom