• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

Lkr

ok, this is my 4th RRoD'd 360, just happened today. If I call MS, is there anyway to get some free shit? I've read about people doing it before. I wouldn't mind a new jasper console with HDMI, a 120gb hard drive, a wireless headset, or an extra controller for the trouble i've gone through.

If you don't have a HDMI console already then there's next to no chance of getting a brand new jasper revision...

...but that said, if you don't ask, you don't get. Worth a try. :)

Lkr said:
ok, this is my 4th RRoD'd 360, just happened today. If I call MS, is there anyway to get some free shit? I've read about people doing it before. I wouldn't mind a new jasper console with HDMI, a 120gb hard drive, a wireless headset, or an extra controller for the trouble i've gone through.

If you express a little bit of frustration, there's a little bit of a chance you can get something. Those people are on pins and needles to keep people happy, especially if you have multiple 360 deaths on your record.

Lkr

Alright, I guess I'll act pissed off or something about the whole ordeal. The thing is, I haven't played my xbox in a few weeks(far too busy) and could care less right now. however, it is getting annoying that after 4 consoles I still cannot get a working one. I do believe i should get at least a game or controller

This is a sad, sad day. :(

After over three years of faithful service, today my console (MFR date 11-04-2005) has begun repeatedly giving me the dreaded RRoD. I've booted it up over a dozen times, and just about every time it's RRoD'd.

It really seems to have had it.

I originally got the 360 back in December of '05, so, just my luck, it's out of warranty. Anybody else had a similar situation? Is there any amount of bitching and griping over the phone that might get MS to repair it under warranty?

For such an early unit, I'm surprised my 360 defied the odds for as long as it did, but alas...

Spaceman Spiff said:

After over three years of faithful service, today my console (MFR date 11-04-2005) has begun repeatedly giving me the dreaded RRoD. I've booted it up over a dozen times, and just about every time it's RRoD'd.

I originally got the 360 back in December of '05, so, just my luck, it's out of warranty. Anybody else had a similar situation? Is there any amount of bitching and griping over the phone that might get MS to repair it under warranty?

For such an early unit, I'm surprised my 360 defied the odds for as long as it did, but alas...

It wouldn't hurt to try.

Randam_Hajile said:
My first 360 Elite lasted me almost two years before it died. I had a Best Buy warranty and exchanged it through them. Now the new one that I replaced it with not even 3 months ago is dead. My warranty is still good for another month so I'm going to exchange it, but I've heard that Microsoft will only let you do one account transfer per year. Is this true? Will I be able to transfer my account again and re-download all my XBLA purchases?
If you trade in your Elite console for another Elite, keep your exchange receipt handy and call Xbox support. They will be able to pursue a manual DRM license transfer to your new console upon receipt of your exchange receipt (via fax).

The DRM Tool on Xbox.com is a once-a-year deal, so if you've already used your shot this is the way you'll have to go.

B-Rad Lascelle said:
If you trade in your Elite console for another Elite, keep your exchange receipt handy and call Xbox support. They will be able to pursue a manual DRM license transfer to your new console upon receipt of your exchange receipt (via fax).

The DRM Tool on Xbox.com is a once-a-year deal, so if you've already used your shot this is the way you'll have to go.

Thanks so much for the help. I'll be exchanging it today.

lachesis

So, a couple of weeks ago, my replaced xbox 360 died on me - giving me some weird black lines on the screen.

I've been putting off calling MS, as I was pretty busy (in-laws, and whole bunch of other projects going on..) - and I made the call. I realized that this would be out of any extended warranty due to the fact that I've bought the machine, I think about few weeks after the original launch back in 2005, and replaced it in about 3-4 months, and also it wasn't 3ROD issue. The console seemed fine, except just black rainy/blocky screen.

Anyhow, so I call up MS for repair service (and if I do find that the repair cost is too high, I was thinking about just getting a new arcade, and add my old HDD on it) - and they asked me to remove all the stuff from the back, re-connect and all and see if it helps. I did, and bam. 3ROD! LOL.

Best part of it, is that they are indeed honoring the extended warranty, because he's saying on their end that I'm still eligible for it for some reason. Yay.

Bad thing is that they are not sending out the coffin anymore, so I'm just going to have to find a box for it. I told him if I should use original box it came (which I still have) - but he said any regular box would do.

So.. just waiting my e-mail, so that I can print out the shipping label...

Then I called Sony. My PS3 60gb's drive died on me. What would be the odd of both of them dying on me on the same damn week! :(

And yes. I'm paying 149dollars + tax to repair it. Yikes... but they told me that I'll get my same model back, and they still do have some 60gb, so that's a good news.

So.. just waiting my e-mail, so that I can input my info and wait for their coffin. (They are sending out the pre-paid shipping box for this whale... 3-5 business days)

If it was a simple exchange, I could have "race" them. LOL.

lachesis

Spaceman Spiff said:

Well, I think I'm on the same situation I think I got the box around the same time frame. But my original one, which was loud as a jet and constantly freezing after a few months - I had replaced in.. I don't know, probably May 2006.

The replacement unit, as I posted above, just died again a couple of weeks ago, and I just made a call to MS - and in my wonder, I was still eligible for the extended warranty and I'm getting a replacement free.

I'd say it wouldn't hurt to try calling them.

Tek

My 360 is acting up, but I don't have the RROD. Back when Lost & The Damned came out, I had a few freezes occur. I thought nothing of it because the rest of my games played fine.

I think got the Chronicles of Riddick Game from Gamefly and it started freezing all the time. I installed the game to my HDD and it would freeze on the boot screen. I deleted the game and played from the disc and it would still freeze all the time. I popped in Gears of War 2, no problems...played fine. Back to Riddick...freeze.

Then one time my dashboard locked up as well. I then decided to try another game, LFD works fine, Burnout Paradise does not. I can't even get to the title screen, it starts to load and then it freezes everytime. I cleared the cache without any luck. I then popped in Crackdown. It had a title update, did that and then it gets to the title screen and the video cuts out completely. My 360 is still on, but no video it just shows my input screen that my tv displays before I turn my 360 on.

I unhooked my HDD and played without that, but then my 360 wouldn't even read the disc, saying that it has to be in a 360 to be played.

I'm already past my 1 year warranty since I bought it in August 07. I'm wondering if I should reformat my 120GB HDD or just wait for it to give me the RROD.

Any ideas?

Tek

It red ringed on me this afternoon so I called MS - They are sending me a shipping label, I asked about the box and they said they don't send them anymore?

Said it should take 2-3 days to get my label and then 2 weeks for them to repair after they recv it.

I would have tried the online form but it said my console was already registered but not associated with my windows live id. However, when I called in, the address matched.

Should I get some e-mail from MS about this? I asked the guy and he just explained that the shipping labels would come in the mail.

Now my 360 is no longer doing the RROD, it just locks up at the dashboard, intro boot screen, a minute into a game...but no 3 RROD.

So am I screwed since its not doing it now?

Probably not. They'll know that these things can be intermittent and (so far) I haven't heard of anyone who had an intermittent RRoD getting their machine sent back.

...though I'm sure there will be about 20 posts now from those who have. :lol

My 360 finally got the RROD this morning, for no reason that I can think of. It had been working fine without a single error since summer '06 (when I bought it). I already ordered a box to come so I can send it in to MS. There was no cost for me to do this, so does this mean the repair will be free (even though my warranty is expired)?

My first system (one of the early-ish Falcon 20 GB units) has just had the RRoD after 396 [days] of loyal service.

Good-night, sweet prince.
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

SumGamer

Never thought I'd be part of this thread. Got myself a Jasper last month (late March). It was a nice piece of hardware with occasional faded display. Last night it's decide to be alone and would not connect to any network at all. The rest of the system still perform beautifully as long as it does not need a connection.

A month and two days long, it's back to where it's belong. Hope it's fixable.

IlludiumQ36

I'm gonna throw my hat into this um..."ring".

Launch console(manufactured 10-28-05) died today, Wednesday April 29, 2009, with the good old 3RL.

It lasted for 3 years, 6 months, 2 days. Fortunately, I was unharmed in the incident.

SumGamer said:
Never thought I'd be part of this thread. Got myself a Jasper last month (late March). It was a nice piece of hardware with occasional faded display. Last night it's decide to be alone and would not connect to any network at all. The rest of the system still perform beautifully as long as it does not need a connection.

A month and two days long, it's back to where it's belong. Hope it's fixable.
Connectivity issues seldom lead to repairs. I'd like to hear more info on this one (as with any purported Jasper casualty).

Assemble!

Dreaded getting a 360 because of the RROD, and now I join the countless in this thread. The service is awesome though... Got the RROD this morning, still two years left on warranty, printed a ups label on my computer, sending it off in the morning.

Even though we moan about the problems, Microsoft has done a decent job of trying to please the customer and working to improve the system. Looking forward to getting a box back...

...Looks like the Wii is gonna be dusted off here in about three, two, one....

bigcappy

Neo Member
I put in a request for a repair the day they announced their inclusion of the E74 error, and my 360 is due back in a couple days. We'll see how the refurb worked next week.

phalestine

aka iby.h
Mine just died, at first it kept giving me the one red light, looked it up and fixed the issue. got the green light but it froze at the dash board and then it gave me the 3 red lights. what sucks too is that I got a wifi adapter for it 3 days ago. And I was really getting into star ocean, god dammit.

Sept 07 <Elite> is when I bought it.

Edit - whats crazy is that it never froze on me, never gave the lines or any symptoms that a RROd was incoming.

RiverBed said:
Any Jasper casualties so far? I am buying one in August.
PSU problem, possible network adapter issue too.

You'll be disappointed if you're expecting to see absolutely no RRoD failures before you buy yours... it's just not possible.

Mine is making grinding noise like it's running vacuum cleaner It's not DVD drive but fan is fucking loud since yesterday.

Is it a sign of death in near future? It's been almost 3 years.

MirageDwarf said:
Mine is making grinding noise like it's running vacuum cleaner It's not DVD drive but fan is fucking loud since yesterday.

Is it a sign of death in near future? It's been almost 3 years.

my brothers ps3 has been like this since the 60 gig launch, he never had any problems with it.

Psychotext said:
PSU problem, possible network adapter issue too.

You'll be disappointed if you're expecting to see absolutely no RRoD failures before you buy yours... it's just not possible.
Care to cite specific examples that aren't pulled out of thin air and can be verified? What RROD examples are you referencing?

B-Rad Lascelle said:
Care to cite specific examples that aren't pulled out of thin air and can be verified? What RROD examples are you referencing?

Bigswords posted about his Jasper failure and I spoke to him over PM about it. That's the PSU issue machine I'm talking about.
bigswords said:
Okies the Jaspers might have fixed the RROD, but I'm getting intermittent red lights from the power adapter ugh...

Going to change the PSU first.

Jasper set. 150w. Power Adapter problem.
bigswords said:
Just to report, gotten back a new Jasper Power supply (well I'm not sure whether it's a refurb or new, but no scratches on the plastic, unlike my harddisk casing ...). Anyways so far, the power light has been steadier and I notice when I power off the light on the adapter drops off quicker.

Oh BTW power adapters only have a warranty of 3 months, it's considered a "accessory"
Damn it MS, I can sort of give it to you on the harddisk as an accessory (even when nowadays harddisk have 3-5 year warranties). But the power supply not even having a one year warranty? *facepalm.gif*

So far so good, hope I didn't Jinx myself again :(

The potential network adapter issue you know about... you replied to it.

If you're talking about generally... unless they've removed the 3RL general hardware failure status indicator from Jasper models then it'll happen eventually. No electronics hardware is immune to failure.

Just shipped off my red ringed Zephyr Elite. What should I expect? An endless stream of failing refurbs or is there a chance I'll get a newer model not as likely to fail?

Felix Lighter said:
Just shipped off my red ringed Zephyr Elite. What should I expect? An endless stream of failing refurbs or is there a chance I'll get a newer model not as likely to fail?

They don't send back new models. A lot of people have been getting Xenons back lately.

AnEternalEnigma said:
They don't send back new models. A lot of people have been getting Xenons back lately.

Awesome... This last console was running strong for a year and a half. Now I'm sure I'll get a refurb back that'll fail in a month or two.

HELP!!

my xbox is dying i think... i dunno what it is

shortly after i turn it on it freezes and the screen is all blocking and distorted
sometimes i can get it to run games but it'll still freeze in a few mins... :(

does anyone know if this is something i might be able to fix?.. should i just clean it or is there something i can specifically fix?... :p

my warranty is up and i don't wanna spend $100 to send it in to get fixed :(

ugh...

AnEternalEnigma said:
I seriously doubt he'll get back a Xenon if he sends in a Zephyr Elite... mostly due to the lack of a HDMI port. :D

dustytruly said:
shortly after i turn it on it freezes and the screen is all blocking and distorted
sometimes i can get it to run games but it'll still freeze in a few mins... :(

does anyone know if this is something i might be able to fix?.. should i just clean it or is there something i can specifically fix?... :p
Your GPU is dying... prelude to the E74 error most likely.

Short of the old towel trick (which isn't exactly a long term fix even if it does work), you're pretty much screwed. =/

Psychotext said:
Your GPU is dying... prelude to the E74 error most likely.

Short of the old towel trick (which isn't exactly a long term fix even if it does work), you're pretty much screwed. =/
SHIT! :(

oooooooook.... *grabs towels...*

let's do this... *smothers xbox*

Ding

MadraptorMan said:
My 360 finally got the RROD this morning, for no reason that I can think of. It had been working fine without a single error since summer '06 (when I bought it). I already ordered a box to come so I can send it in to MS. There was no cost for me to do this, so does this mean the repair will be free (even though my warranty is expired)?
MS warrantees RRoDs for 3 years from time of purchase. So, you are still covered. It won't cost you a dime.

IlludiumQ36

Well, this has got to be some kind of record: my bedroom/backup 360 red-ringed today - exactly 2 days after my primary living room 360(launch model) red-ringed(see post #10122). At least this one is under warranty. What are the odds?

My Xbox finally gave into the 3 red lights a few days after the warranty expired :lol
Now I'm going to have to call them and complain.
Jesus Christ.

update: when I filled out the info to get my xbox coffin it said the price for the repair was $0. is this correct? My 3 years ended in april, maybe there is some leeway?

mernst23

So, my Xenon RROD'd yesterday and I'm not under warranty. (Manufactured 2005 - 11 - 21). Also, my drive has been having issues reading game discs (skipping music, not being recognized when inserting a game). Should I pay the 100 and repair it or should I just go buy an arcade system, sell all the components I don't need out of it (controller, mem card) just to get a Jasper?

Hachimaki

Yesterday my 360 red ringed and now all I get are the flashing lights. I registered the console to see if it was still under warranty. It said it expired but I was still able to request a repair and get a shipping label printed out. There was also no fee for the repair either. I'll be sending this coffin out tomorrow so I'm wondering how long do I expect to not have a 360?

BTW, this is my 3rd 360 and previous times I was able to exchange it at Game Stop because I had a warranty there. I've always been a careful person when it comes to consoles and I kept the 360 in a well vented area but this is just plain ridiculous to have a 3rd one crap out on me. I'm wondering if they do repair it whether it will totally fix the issues and I won't have to deal with the problem again. I hope I get a 1600 point card out of it.. Lol.

Hachimaki said:
Yesterday my 360 red ringed and now all I get are the flashing lights. I registered the console to see if it was still under warranty. It said it expired but I was still able to request a repair and get a shipping label printed out. There was also no fee for the repair either. I'll be sending this coffin out tomorrow so I'm wondering how long do I expect to not have a 360?

BTW, this is my 3rd 360 and previous times I was able to exchange it at Game Stop because I had a warranty there. I've always been a careful person when it comes to consoles and I kept the 360 in a well vented area but this is just plain ridiculous to have a 3rd one crap out on me. I'm wondering if they do repair it whether it will totally fix the issues and I won't have to deal with the problem again. I hope I get a 1600 point card out of it.. Lol.

You could keep your Xbox 360 in a freezer and it'll still break. No amount of care can defeat shoddy hardware and architecture.

Magik

You guys should check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd0eDiehy8Y

It shows how if you turn off the system right after you are playing a game, the internal temperature of the 360 continues to rise even after shutdown due to the fans shutting off.

It looks like the best thing to do is to exit to the dashboard for a while since the fans will still be running before turning it off completely.

Well three years later and this pro I have has finally ate shit. Luckily my three year RROD warranty does not expire till next month... dodged a bullet.

Im going arcade jasper hunting in a few hours since I have been meaning to get once eventually anyways. My disc drive was about dead plus I really need a second 360 in the house.

Wired

Magik said:

It looks like the best thing to do is to exit to the dashboard for a while since the fans will still be running before turning it off completely.

:lol yeah that's what I do, even though I have a Jasper (I've resigned to the fact that it'll still break at some point)

Magik said:
You guys should check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd0eDiehy8Y

It shows how if you turn off the system right after you are playing a game, the internal temperature of the 360 continues to rise even after shutdown due to the fans shutting off.

Funny... that's what I've been doing with my 360s ever since I bought them. Touch wood I've had no issues whatsoever so far.

Wizpig

Magik said:

Ok, my mind is blown: i always turned off my 360 that way [returning to the Dashboard first] and almost never had a problem.

Recently, after some weeks of turning the system off THE WRONG WAY, usually at the "Press Start" screen of a game, i got my first RROD.
It makes sense.

I also had to turn the 360 on and off like 3-4 times in a row because of some WiFi problems; [by the way, could it have been the 360 itself? the 360 WiFi adaptor works fine and the WiFi network itself even better] one time i turned it on and... bam. RROD.
Just like that.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
So my Xbox arrived at the MS facility yesterday. Today I got an e-mail saying it was fixed and getting ready to send back out.

Chances of them turning it on, no RROD and sending it right back?

Magik

Wizpig said:
Ok, my mind is blown: i always turned off my 360 that way [returning to the Dashboard first] and almost never had a problem.

Yeah, my mind was blown as well. It actually makes a lot of sense when you start thinking about it.

All that heat being generated during gameplay would normally be expelled by the fans but once the fans are turned off right after gameplay the heat remains and accelerates the weakening of the internal components.

Top Bottom