• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

Is the Xbox repair status website virtually useless for anyone else? Half the time I go to the page to check the status of my repair, the page says I don't have any console associated with my Windows Live ID. It's annoying as fuck.

Drakken

I'm having a problem with my 360 but didn't want to start a new thread about it. It's stopped reading discs. It says to insert disc, I load a disc in there, and after "Reading..." shows for five seconds or so it goes back to "Insert disc" (or whatever the default message is). It doesn't recognize there being any disc in the tray. I did some searching, and I believe it's because of the NXE, as some others have reported this problem only after switching to the NXE (there's actually a 48 page xbox.com thread about it).

Any suggestions? Unfortunately from what I can tell, the only option is to pay to get it fixed or buy a new 360.

Magik

Goddamit. I think my drive is starting to crap out on me.

As the tray slides out, the disc that is inside is spinning a bit as it comes out. On top of that, when I press the eject button, the tray makes some sort of farting noise. =\

clav

MirageDwarf said:
Is it possible to get game disc out of dead unit? My rental disc got stuck.
It powers on still, right, and the tray ejects right, but just gets stuck?

If that's the case, then just knock on the front tray a bit (like a door knock) as it ejects.

MirageDwarf said:
Is it possible to get game disc out of dead unit? My rental disc got stuck.

If you remove the faceplate, there should be a tiny hole for you to poke a bent paperclip into to release the tray.

claviertekky said:
It powers on still, right, and the tray ejects right, but just gets stuck?

If that's the case, then just knock on the front tray a bit (like a door knock) as it ejects.

Well, it was stuck completely. Knocking didn't do anything.

AnEternalEnigma said:
If you remove the faceplate, there should be a tiny hole for you to poke a bent paperclip into to release the tray.

Thanks. This is what I was looking for. Didn't know it was hidden behind faceplate.

Tek

Sent my 360 off to MS last Thursday. They got it on Monday, didn't work on it until Tuesday. Now the status says console shipped. I got a e-mail with a tracking # which is just the billing information. The website still says console shipped, but it has my old shipping info where I shipped it into them.

Its the same console tho...but my expired warranty was renewed until August. I just wonder if they did anything to it....

but when are they going to ship the damn thing...two days and no change...

Drakken

Does anyone have experience buying a replacement dvd drive? My 360 has an open disc error, and I haven't been able to fix it. At this point it seems my best (re: cheapest) option is to get a new dvd drive, but I have no idea what's reliable or if it's even feasible.

Drakken said:
Does anyone have experience buying a replacement dvd drive? My 360 has an open disc error, and I haven't been able to fix it. At this point it seems my best (re: cheapest) option is to get a new dvd drive, but I have no idea what's reliable or if it's even feasible.

Hopefully you only plan to do this on a modded console, because changing the hardware in anyway will get you banned from XBL.

Drakken

AnEternalEnigma said:
Hopefully you only plan to do this on a modded console, because changing the hardware in anyway will get you banned from XBL.

It's not modded. There's no way to change out the DVD drive without getting banned from XBL?

dave_d

Felix Lighter said:
Is the Xbox repair status website virtually useless for anyone else? Half the time I go to the page to check the status of my repair, the page says I don't have any console associated with my Windows Live ID. It's annoying as fuck.

I'm wondering if it's the same deal I had. When they were transfering from one Xbox to another I had no Xbox associated with my account. (But then again maybe they just messed up again.) Of course once the transfer happened then I couldn't track the box being shipped back. (I think if I put in the incident # and then clicked submit I could at least see when things got shipped.)

Drakken said:
It's not modded. There's no way to change out the DVD drive without getting banned from XBL?

The console won't even recognize the drive without flashing the BIOS. A console that accesses Live with any shenanigans performed to the BIOS is an insta-permanent ban.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Just got the error "E68", and I just got this xbox back on tuesday from MS. Wow I've sent this xbox twice in one month..

Edit- Okay now it seems to be working but when I turn it on, it is much slower on the boot screen going to the dashboard, and now its not reading my HD.

besiktas1

Dear Gaf can you help me write an angry letter please?

Here's my problem, it's going to be the forth time I send my console off to MS, making it my 5th Xbox, this happened last week, I have yet to recieve my email. (the lady on the phone said I would recieve something by post).

I have got nothing, I also sent an email

I would like to file a formal complaint. I have been a loyal Xbox customer and have had a 360 since launch day.

However I have since had many problems. Yesterday my xbox 360 had another hardware failure making it the 4th time of me having had to send it to you!

So each time in taking over 3 weeks for me to receive a new console it would have been a minimum of 12 weeks without a console to play!

As you can imagine this is very frustrating, upsetting and to be honest dishearting that in making the investment into your product has gone like this.

I would like an apology for the inconvenience and feel I should be compensated for the bad time I have had.

Kind regards,
Cem Oguz

I received this back,

Dear Mr Oguz,

Thank you for contacting Xbox Support.

We are sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction and would like to discuss this further with you. Could you please send me your contact details and also confirm the best time to call you so I can arrange a call back.

Kind regards

Lili Adams.

Xbox Service and Support Team

It has been a week and nothing, needless to say I am not happy, (I am in UK is there any watchdog I can say I will contact ect.)

Thanks for help.

Tek said:
Yeah, I'm getting my same console back as well. It should be here on Tuesday so we see what happens...
You shouldn't have much to worry about here... you're not getting an Opus sadly, but otherwise your system should hold up.

Felix Lighter said:
Is it good news or bad news that I'm getting back the console I sent in?
Same thing here. Hopefully your newly repaired Elite lasts longer than 18 months this time around.

In practice, same-unit repairs typically fare better than exchanges from what I've seen. If the service center can quickly ID your console's issue and get it out the door and back to you right away, that's almost always a good sign.

II VerTigo II said:
Just got the error "E68", and I just got this xbox back on tuesday from MS. Wow I've sent this xbox twice in one month..

Edit- Okay now it seems to be working but when I turn it on, it is much slower on the boot screen going to the dashboard, and now its not reading my HD.
E68 is typically a hard drive issue. If those issues persist, you may want to scope out getting your HDD replaced if it's still under its 90-day warranty. Otherwise, you may want to consider this a good time to upgrade to a 60-120 GB model.

B-Rad Lascelle said:
Same thing here. Hopefully your newly repaired Elite lasts longer than 18 months this time around.

In practice, same-unit repairs typically fare better than exchanges from what I've seen. If the service center can quickly ID your console's issue and get it out the door and back to you right away, that's almost always a good sign.

Thanks. That gives me a little bit of relief.

So my 360 finally kicked the bucket, a 20GB launch unit that I bought in march of 2007. I turned it on this morning just a few minutes ago to play Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 that I had just bought and it gave me the red ring of death (1 ring version). So I figure its because it hasn't been used in a while so I reboot it and it comes up and i start the game and the colors become distorted. so I restart the console again, only this time I didn't get any picture at all.

So I ask this question to those of you who have successfully dealt with Microsoft's Customer Service: Is there anything I can do to get a free repair out of them? I don't exactly have the money to pay for a repair at the moment.

besiktas1

AzureNightmareXE said:
So my 360 finally kicked the bucket, a 20GB launch unit that I bought in march of 2007. I turned it on this morning just a few minutes ago to play Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 that I had just bought and it gave me the red ring of death (1 ring version). So I figure its because it hasn't been used in a while so I reboot it and it comes up and i start the game and the colors become distorted. so I restart the console again, only this time I didn't get any picture at all.

So I ask this question to those of you who have successfully dealt with Microsoft's Customer Service: Is there anything I can do to get a free repair out of them? I don't exactly have the money to pay for a repair at the moment.
Just say you've been a loyal customer since launch, you are frustrated ect. First thing is though as soon as you ring ask for a supervisor, that gets them flustered and they ask why, just say you wish to file a formal complaint it should work...

Any help with mine please, anybody?

post 10175
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15775802&postcount=10175

besiktas1 said:
Dear Gaf can you help me write an angry letter please?

Here's my problem, it's going to be the forth time I send my console off to MS, making it my 5th Xbox, this happened last week, I have yet to recieve my email. (the lady on the phone said I would recieve something by post).

I have got nothing, I also sent an email

I received this back,

It has been a week and nothing, needless to say I am not happy, (I am in UK is there any watchdog I can say I will contact ect.)

Thanks for help.

Harteex

Magik said:
You guys should check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd0eDiehy8Y

It shows how if you turn off the system right after you are playing a game, the internal temperature of the 360 continues to rise even after shutdown due to the fans shutting off.

It looks like the best thing to do is to exit to the dashboard for a while since the fans will still be running before turning it off completely.

I don't know how much this helps, but I've noticed that sometimes my 360 lets the fan spin for a short while after I've turned it off, it doesn't turn off completely at first.

So I just got off the phone with Xbox support and I got absolutely nowhere. The representative I spoke to (Mark) has no idea what a VGA cable even is, and when I asked to speak to his manager when he denied me a free repair, he claimed no manager was available at the moment. On top of that he didn't speak clearly and I had a very difficult time understanding him. This is easily the worst customer service experience I have ever had. What a miserable day this is, I can't play a game I just bought AND I had to deal with that shitty customer service.

AzureNightmareXE said:
So I just got off the phone with Xbox support and I got absolutely nowhere. The representative I spoke to (Mark) has no idea what a VGA cable even is, and when I asked to speak to his manager when he denied me a free repair, he claimed no manager was available at the moment. On top of that he didn't speak clearly and I had a very difficult time understanding him. This is easily the worst customer service experience I have ever had. What a miserable day this is, I can't play a game I just bought AND I had to deal with that shitty customer service.

That makes no sense. E74 is covered by the 3-year warranty now.

AnEternalEnigma said:
That makes no sense. E74 is covered by the 3-year warranty now.
He claimed the reason why I am not covered is because my system also experienced 1 red ring and will not display a video signal. Apparently that is enough to disqualify me from getting the free repair.

AzureNightmareXE said:
He claimed the reason why I am not covered is because my system also experienced 1 red ring and will not display a video signal. Apparently that is enough to disqualify me from getting the free repair.
I would have raised hell. Just call back, get someone else, and just tell them you got E74 and NOTHING more than that.

Update: I called back and got the repair FOR FREE. The person I talked to said the first guy i talked to was dead wrong about my repair not being free.

AzureNightmareXE said:
Update: I called back and got the repair FOR FREE. The person I talked to said the first guy i talked to was dead wrong about my repair not being free.
Yeah... guy was seriously out of order for saying that. I hope he gets disciplined.

I'm not going to go into details but I suspect that the refurb MS sent me when my first 360 died doesn't have much time left. At this point I'm thinking about just buying an Arcade to replace it so I don't have to go through the whole customer service experience (and gain HDMI). How much of a pain in the ass is it going to be to associate my Live ID and XBLA/DLC with a new 360 if I get one?

I never thought I'd be posting here, but my 360 from December '09 finally gave out on me. I was playing Rock Band 2 on it earlier today and the scan-line error came up. I didn't pay it much attention as it has happened before, but when I fired up CoD 4 tonight, it straight up froze on me and gave me the 3 rings of death. I have a couple questions for the GAF as far as repairs.

1. I just went to the 360 online site and it said my warranty is expired, is that true. On the back of the 360 it says the manufacture date is 10-27-07.

2. Will I get the same 360 back? DLC is tied to the 360 isn't it?

3. Do they update the CPU / GPU soldering so it won't happen again.

Thanks in advance.

On the brighter side, this'll get me to play the 5-6 Wii/DS/PS2 games I bought but haven't even opened yet.

Petrie

Banned
AnEternalEnigma said:

This is simply false. My 360 is on it's 3rd drive as I had 2 crap out on me, and if you read up a little, you can do so without being banned quite easily.

Ten-Song

Annnnnnnnnd it happened for the second time now. Wonderful. I turn on my 360 today to play some Rock Band, and I see the lights. I panic, turn the console off... wait, turn it back on... and repeat this process many times over as I sit there in denial.

Well, guess this means I'm out at least two/three weeks before playing with my friends on Live again, hooray.

Oh well, I still need to finish Persona 4 anyways...

Scarecrow

So, I made a thread yesterday saying my xbox was having the 2 red light problem. It's still going on, even though the system is cool. I just press the power button and it immediately kicks on the fans then shuts down. I checked the xbox site, and it appears you have to pay for them to fix the two red light problem.

If I claim I have the 3 red light problem and send it in, what do you think they'd do?

Scarecrow said:
If I claim I have the 3 red light problem and send it in, what do you think they'd do?
There's no real answer to that... you might get lucky, you might not. I don't think there's much harm in trying though.

Scarecrow

Psychotext said:
There's no real answer to that... you might get lucky, you might not. I don't think there's much harm in trying though.
I'm worried they'll hold my system ransom and demand money for a differnt type of repair.

Scarecrow said:
So, I made a thread yesterday saying my xbox was having the 2 red light problem. It's still going on, even though the system is cool. I just press the power button and it immediately kicks on the fans then shuts down. I checked the xbox site, and it appears you have to pay for them to fix the two red light problem.

They don't check. As soon as they get the console, they immediately rip it apart and send you a new one.

DAMN IT! My August 2006 Xbox 360
controller cable
died.

Scarecrow said:
Well, I sent it out today. How long does the process usually take?

From the time you put it in UPS's hands, anywhere from 11-14 days.

NG28

My late 07 xbox is now screwed up and I don't think it is something that gets repaired for free. I was playing earlier today and noticed it was taking awhile to load things like the demo download screen and arcade games. It also froze on me twice. I was playing tonight, everything seemed fine, until I played Bionic Commando demo. After a match, my screen had this really odd bullseye type effect on it. I was hoping it was just the demo so I return to dashboard and the bottom area has the bullseye effect. Now when I restart my xbox the picture doesn't show up, but I can hear it and can tell that I am navigating the dashboard.
I also switched from my VGA to component or whatever and picture still doesn't show. The lights on the front of my xbox look normal too. I'm gonna call customer support tomorrow and hopefully can get this fixed.

dave_d

AwakenedCloud said:
I never thought I'd be posting here, but my 360 from December '09 finally gave out on me.

Wow, I knew all the problems the 360 has makes people desparate to get the newest one but I didn't know they'd resort to time travel and that didn't even work :D

I just barely sent my RROD'D Xbox in like 5 days ago, and it's already done with "repairs".

Seems a little quick, I'm a little bit nervous that they are gonna send me the same one back, unfixed.

KilgoreTrout said:
I just barely sent my RROD'D Xbox in like 5 days ago, and it's already done with "repairs".

Seems a little quick, I'm a little bit nervous that they are gonna send me the same one back, unfixed.

They will explicitly tell you that they're sending your console back unrepaired if they are. Don't worry.

Top Bottom