• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

I was in the middle of ghost recon tonight, and suddenly the game shut down and gave me 3 red rings. When I turned it back on, it was working fine..

What does this mean :(

Spencerr

Banned
BlueTsunami, I don't know it was one they sent me back after I got my second repaired. It's a different one then the second. The letter didn't say whether it was refurbed or not, but I'm betting it was. It's only referred to as a "replacement unit" probably just jargon for refurbed.

rs7k

pheeniks said:
I was in the middle of ghost recon tonight, and suddenly the game shut down and gave me 3 red rings. When I turned it back on, it was working fine..

What does this mean :(

It'll probably again, with more frequency up to the point where you have to replace it. Shit, didn't you get yours on ebay? :(

gkryhewy

rs7k said:
It'll probably again, with more frequency up to the point where you have to replace it. Shit, didn't you get yours on ebay? :(

Ebay units are still covered by warranty as long as they were brand new, AFAIK. In addition, regardless of where you purchased the console, if you haven't yet registered - doesn't matter how long you've had it - you can still call MS and buy an extended warranty. So if your system dies, buy the warranty, then wait a week and call them to say it failed.

Finally, anybody *should* be able to get a break on the $130 cost anyway, just by talking to a supervisor. The break will be 25% off, 50% off, or a flat repair fee of $32.25 (which is what they offered me). You don't have to whine progressively - just speak to one supervisor. They also extended my warranty 6 months as part of the $32.25, even though the usual warranty on replacements is only 30 days.

By the way, I'm now waiting on my second replacement - first was basically DOA.

Mine arrived there Thursday, shipped back to me yesterday. I wonder if they fixed it or gave me another refurbished one, find out on Wednesday.

rs7k said:

I got mine on overstock, and the MFR date was April 6, 2006 :(

Is my xbox still under that 3 month warranty...? I don't know if it's 3 months from purchase or manufacture date. It didn't make sense to me. I bought mine off overstock on aug. 13, received it yesterday (the 18th)..what a dark day.

newsguy

Well, 2 down for me. The first one was in June when it didn't want to eject my Halo 2 disc, which was not loading textures properly. Now, after playing Dead Rising (now I can't see the ending) all day yesterday, it froze on me about 10 times. At first I thought it was just the game, but now it's happening with other games. It's not a DR error, it's those dotted lines of death that show up all over the screen (something in the graphics card melting?) Anyway, I've seen the red lights really quick but they go away, I'm sure they'll come back. Worst part is Madden comes out Monday :( ****ing POS, I feel like I'm gonna be sending these things back for years to come.

Meier

Dave Long said:
I'm still sitting here with my broken one because I'm not sure I want to hand over another $100 on top of all the money I've spent on games. The thing is, if I don't fix it, I lose access to my Live Arcade games I purchased... forever. I can't even sell them off like I can the rest of the parts and pieces of the 360.

It seems like no matter what, they won't do it for free at this point. It's possible, but seems highly unlikely. You can get them to do it for $32.25 (cost of shipping the system there and back) if you convince a supervisor. I didnt want to do that but it seems to be the best you can get, so I just bit the bullet.

pheeniks said:
I got mine on overstock, and the MFR date was April 6, 2006 :(

Is my xbox still under that 3 month warranty...? I don't know if it's 3 months from purchase or manufacture date. It didn't make sense to me. I bought mine off overstock on aug. 13, received it yesterday (the 18th)..what a dark day.
It's three months from purchase as long as the 360 isn't used and there's a ligitimate bill of sale.

Meier said:
It seems like no matter what, they won't do it for free at this point. It's possible, but seems highly unlikely. You can get them to do it for $32.25 (cost of shipping the system there and back) if you convince a supervisor. I didnt want to do that but it seems to be the best you can get, so I just bit the bullet.

Will they charge you for shipping even if you're under warranty?

This is kind of ridiculous. I wish they made these better.

gkrykewy said:
Finally, anybody *should* be able to get a break on the $130 cost anyway, just by talking to a supervisor. The break will be 25% off, 50% off, or a flat repair fee of $32.25 (which is what they offered me). You don't have to whine progressively - just speak to one supervisor. They also extended my warranty 6 months as part of the $32.25, even though the usual warranty on replacements is only 30 days.

Yes, they will immediately offer the 25% off, as if the thought just occured to them and you should be grateful you're only paying another $96 to fix a system that isn't yet even a year old. I'm currently waiting for a call back from a supervisor's supervisor, which I imagine means I'll be calling them back next week with something new to complain about. I am courteous and polite, always, even as I believe that I would get further by screaming insults and profanities. I know the CSR job has gotten a lot harder with the ubiquity of the Internet, but it is insulting when they deny that there are any reports of failure or that I'm making up the $32.25 figure I've quoted back to them. Could there be rogue CSRs taking matters into their own hands and actually making the customer happy? I was told I had a special "six month holiday warranty," when we're all aware that it was just another three months tacked on due to a potential PR backlash. imo, they should be fixing all pre-launch manufactured consoles for free. It is obvious there are problems that are only now coming to light, and it is unconscionable that a $400 system should be failing within its first year.

Unfortunately, I ended up having to pay $96.75 for the repair (25% of $129). They are sending me PGR3 for my troubles. Um, yay? I strongly urge anyone who bought from a retailer without a liberal return policy to buy at least the $30 one-year service plan. If you've ever seen the Red Ring, I think it's just a matter of time. There were various levels of discounts according to when your warranty expired and when the repair notice was placed, but they will no longer sell an extended service contract to out-of-warranty systems.

And it's so much easier swallowing the cost when you speak to a CSR who doesn't just stick to the script.

garth2000

Has anyone had any disc read problems with Dead Rising?

I've had a DRE a few times with other games (few and far between), but they were mostly rental games, so I didn't think much of it. Dead Rising seems to give me DREs quite often.

Does anyone else have this problem? Anyone know if its the disc, or the system based on experience?

Thanks in advance.

Dave Long

Banned
Meier said:

They've never offered me anything close to this. I also asked if I could pay for the warranty through them and have it be retro to the day I purchased the console and they wouldn't go for that either. They left the 25% offer on my case # if I want to call back and get that, but I'm just going to cancel Xbox Live Gold when it's up in September and see what they do after that.

Everyone on the phone is nice, but no one has ever offered anything close to reasonable to repair this piece of shit system I bought.

I'm done with Microsoft. This will be the last console they make that I purchase.

Mojovonio

Banned
DSC01484.jpg

mine am dead :(

**** it, not repairing it.

newsguy

That's the EXACT same way mine started looking before it died. I'm 99% sure dead rising is to blame. Shit heats up the 360 like nothing else.

Mojovonio

Banned
newsguy said:
That's the EXACT same way mine started looking before it died. I'm 99% sure dead rising is to blame. Shit heats up the 360 like nothing else.

Ha ha,

If you live in Canada, you're ****ed. They won't repair Canadian systems!

Here's the coversation so far.

"since this....uhhhhhhh.iss.......uh.... an out of warranty....uhmmmm....machine, we'll have to do a console exchange for you."

"What does that mean?"

"We send you a new 360 and you send us the defective one back. But since its out of warrnty, you will have to pay the full price for the new console."

"So why don't I just keep the one I already have AND buy a new console instead of sending this one to you?"

"Uhhhhhh.... let me explain.... your console is out of warranrty."

"Why would I pay YOU money to take something of equal value away from me when its YOUR defective product?"

"uhhhhhhh"

"transfer me to someone else."

*is waiting on hold*

Mojovonio said:
Ha ha,

"since this....uhhhhhhh.iss.......uh.... an out of warranty....uhmmmm....machine, we'll have to do a console exchange for you."

"What does that mean?"

"We send you a new 360 and you send us the defective one back. But since its out of warrnty, you will have to pay the full price for the new console."

"So why don't I just keep the one I already have AND buy a new console instead of sending this one to you?"

"Why would I pay YOU money to take something of equal value away from me when its YOUR defective product?"

"uhhhhhhh"

*is waiting on hold*

Holy shit dude. At moments like this I actually hope there is a hell for these people (and the people responsible for this rushed p.o.s. console) to go to.

Pachinko

I would really honestly like to know just what the actual failure % is of manufactured to repaired/replaced for the 360 is. I mean you really can't go by internet conjecture but I'd swear that it's gotta be 25-40% of any system built in 2005 and about 10% of every system built in 2006 suffer fatal problems within 6 months of use. Were there not around 30 360 owners on neogaf at launch, counting the mountain dew winners ? atleast half have had to trade it in it seems.

I fear for someone buying a ps3 becuase I can only see it being even worse, becuase they are trying to manufacture six times the number of units in about the same timeframe.

Atleast if the wii breaks your game saves will likely be on a memory card... now excuse me while I got commit a pagan ritual to prevent my 360 a horrible death.

nextgeneration said:
Yeah, I'm beginning to wonder that myself. I bought my 360 in December and never had the system freeze when playing any games until I downloaded the Dead Rising demo. Two days after downloading the Dead Rising demo, that was when my 360 kept freezing on me.

So, for over 7 months straight, I had zero problems with my 360, in terms of it freezing when playing any game. Two days after downloading Dead Rising, my system went kaput. Probably coincidence, but I have to say hmmmm here.....

Dont think that is a coincidence, cause I have the exact same problem. Downloaded the DR demo a little while ago and now it keeps crashing.

rs7k

Mojovonio said:
Ha ha,

"What does that mean?"

"uhhhhhhh"

*is waiting on hold*

What do you mean? If my console ****s up, then I can't get it repaired? I have to buy a new one because I'm in Canada?

Meier said:

I did enough bitching about having to pay for my broken launch unit that they had to have an even-higher-up call me back. He didn't seem married to the MS script that the others used. The price you pay is contingent on when your warranty expires. $32.25 is what you pay if it fails within 11 days of expiration and notification. Honestly, if you are in warranty right now, buy the damned extended protection plan, at least for a year. I think it's a crapshoot if your system fails, no matter when you purchased it. It may get better once they redesign the chips, but games like Gears of War and Lost Planet are really going to tax the 360.

Juice

You know, at first I was against forcing all defective 360s into one thread because I thought it would stifle the cries of those who mourn, but now I'm realizing that this is actually turning into more than just a blabber-fest.

It's like, there's some kind of camaraderie here. I almost want my 360 to die next so I can connect with all of you.

I'm sorry Jesus! I take it back!

*Runs off and says 40 Hail Mary's*

Meier

I definitely intend to get the 2 year warranty once I get the new one in.. but what's the deal with someone getting a free 6 month warranty?! They certainly didnt offer that to me. :(

newsguy

As for anecdotal evidence of dead 360's being worse than any other system I've owned. My friends I've known through multiple consoles have ALL (5 of them) gone through 2 360's and 2 of us are on our 3rd. Never happened before and **** those who call it "coincidence." The more Dead Rising type games we get, the ones that heat up the console more than usual, the more people are going to realize it's not a small percent of people. I just bought the 2 year warranty from MS cause I know its going to keep happening.

Mojovonio

Banned
I'm talking with one of the managers now.

The person I talked to before mentioned that they LOTS of calls about this issue. So I mentioned that to him.

"This isn't an isolated problem. Its happeneing frequently."
"Yes, well the 360 has 3 core processors....."
"So the erros i'm experiencing are due to a design decison made by MS? Why should I pay the repair fee?"
"Uhmmmm, i'll give you 25% off."
"No, you just admitted it to being a design flaw. If I spend the money to repair it, what gurantee do I have that it won't break down on me again?"
"well..... i'll just transfer you to someone more able to answer your questions, sir"

Sho Nuff

Banned
Mojovonio said:

The person I talked to before mentioned that they LOTS of calls about this issue. So I mentioned that to him.

"So the erros i'm experiencing are due to a design decison made by MS? Why should I pay the repair fee?"
"No, you just admitted it to being a design flaw. If I spend the money to repair it, what gurantee do I have that it won't break down on me again?"
"well..... i'll just transfer you to someone more able to answer your questions, sir"

MS Japan finally got back to me -- they want me to mail it COD to somewhere in Fukushima to get it repaired...where the F is that!?

Please make sure you keep updating us on every ****ing sentence spoken, I'm on the edge of my seat here.

Thank u for ur contribution to teh thread sir

Juice

Mojovonio said:

Jesus. I hate assy support.

Mojovonio

Banned
Well, they aren't going to fix it, even after the manager himself said "well, the earlier versions of the console have been known to have problems. But past the 6 month warranty, we can't do anything."

SUCH BULLSHIT.

I'm just going to get a Wii and that's it.

I've never talked to a company that admits it own product has a problem, but refuses to fix it.

Juice

Mojovonio said:
Well, they aren't going to fix it, even after the manager himself said "well, the earlier versions of the console have been known to have problems. But past the 6 month warranty, we can't do anything."

SUCH BULLSHIT.

I'm just going to get a Wii and that's it.

I've never talked to a company that admits it own product has a problem, but refuses to fix it.

I heard a story about a guy who bought a new 360 from Target, a retailer that doesn't scan serial numbers nor include them on the receipt, then returned their broken 360 in the same box the next day.

Mojovonio

Banned
Juice said:
I heard a story about a guy who bought a new 360 from Target, a retailer that doesn't scan serial numbers nor include them on the receipt, then returned their broken 360 in the same box the next day.

Does walmart do this?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
my 360 has done that corrupted graphics thing three or four times since i've bought it, but it seems to be keeping on. when i bought dead rising i'd get a disc read error whenever i tried to start a new game, but it worked after i cleared the cache. i somehow doubt it's going to last me the whole generation...i just hope someone files a class action lawsuit before i have to pay $130 or whatever it is.

Mojovonio

Banned
drohne said:
my 360 has done that corrupted graphics thing three or four times since i've bought it, but it seems to be keeping on. when i bought dead rising i'd get a disc read error whenever i tried to start a new game, but it worked after i cleared the cache. i somehow doubt it's going to last me the whole generation...i just hope someone files a class action lawsuit before i have to pay $130 or whatever it is.

Yeah, I thought if i took care of it, it would last me.

WHat sucks is that I loved everything MS was doing this gen. This ruins all of it for me.

rs7k

Man, I'm scared to turn on my 360 now. Good thing I've got my PS2 to keep me occupied.

And yeah, I would hate the 360 to break on me. I bought it on impulse on eBay (at a very good price though), and it's working great so far, and I had a great experience with the original Xbox (it was the only console I ever owned that never crashed on me).

FightyF

Banned
One of mine died. I got extended warrenty from FutureShop so it's all good anyways.

Gonna keep my HDD and send that sucka in.

Mojovonio

Banned
rs7k said:
Man, I'm scared to turn on my 360 now. Good thing I've got my PS2 to keep me occupied.

And yeah, I would hate the 360 to break on me. I bought it on impulse on eBay (at a very good price though), and it's working great so far, and I had a great experience with the original Xbox (it was the only console I ever owned that never crashed on me).

GET THE EXTENDED WARRANTY!

I really regret not getting it.

rs7k

Have you tried the thing where you blow hot air on the motherboard to (apparently) make the solder connect better to... uhhh... someone will know what I'm talking about,.

Mojovonio

Banned
rs7k said:
Have you tried the thing where you blow hot air on the motherboard to (apparently) make the solder connect better to... uhhh... someone will know what I'm talking about,.

No, I have a few options I'm going to try before I crack her open.

I doubt Microsoft will repair any 360 that had the seal broken, out of warranty or no, so make sure you've exhausted all other options. If you've ever seen the Red Lights and you're still under warranty, buy the extended service plan. You won't be able to once your original warranty expires.

Pachinko

Okay, tonight my wonderful region had the biggest most intense lightning storm in the last 3 or 4 years and I sat in my basement playing dead rising. I'm on the last day where you basically just kill 10 hours doing fack all and begin wondering if there's somethign I actually SHOULD be doing but on my way up I notice this wicked storm blowing in, the 360 was simply paused and I watched the lightning for a good 20-30 minutes, checked gamefaqs to make sure there wasn't anything to do in the game at that time and went back downstairs to see 4 red lights blinking away... my uncle mentioned the power went out for a split second so perhaps a surge just bumped the 360 into safe mode? Or more likely it just overheated. Now I should add that thankfully my system seems to be perfectly fine, I clicked the button to shut it off and then turned it back on and it loaded up normally, I ejected my dead rising disc which must have been 40+ Celcius and shut the system back down, seeing as we were in the thick of a lightning storm.. that's still going on 2 hours after it creeped up.

I think ultimatly that's the issue with these systems - they just can't dissipate the heat rapidly enough and after extended play sessions the cooling system flat out fails to keep the system below 70C internally and the videocard eventually cooks itself , the CPU melts or the fans die. It's a problem that's likely being fixed right now slowly with each new run of 360's but until then I'm thinking anyone with a working system should follow the old adage of 15 minute breaks every hour for you and your system or at the very least 15 minutes every 2 hours. I'm wondering now, how many 360's are gonna meltdown when gears of war or other unreal 3 engine titles come out. Seems to me that those games are taking the whole console to near it's limits in many ways.

Okay, I was curios so I looked at the online FAQ for 360 troubleshooting-
2 red lights means the system overheated, alternativly it'll shut off
3 red lights implies hardware failure- videocard, cpu, hard drive, power supply, basically 3 red lights = dead or soon to die system
4 red lights is apparently the tamest of all- it just means the a/v cable wasn't detected. So I'm thinking that my house had a long enough power surge it threw off the cord detection but short enough it failed to actually shut down the 360.

So it seems 3 red lights is the one you don't want.

Also for the record- seeing blue static or bizzare dots/lines in your image while playing a 360 is a sign the videocard is overheating which means it'll likely melt on you at some point if you keep playing the thing. This goes back to my above point about using the 360 for no more then 2 hours , especially if you've had the blue static.

EDIT #2- appparently a friend passed this on, didn't read it myself, but the 360 manual says 1 hour of rest for every 2 hours of use. So there you go.

The same thing happened to me the other night, Pachinko. I had the 3 lights, but it seems ok. Except the pop-in kept getting worse in Dead Rising, and while playing Ridge Racer 6 today I noticed some that I don't recall being there before. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I'm worried mine's gonna kick it soon.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
I have a singapore 360 and it's running very well, but it's a little........"eeeekkkkkkkk eeeeeek haaaaaggghhh" when I touch it (it squeeks)

Rummy Bunnz said:
The same thing happened to me the other night, Pachinko. I had the 3 lights, but it seems ok. Except the pop-in kept getting worse in Dead Rising, and while playing Ridge Racer 6 today I noticed some that I don't recall being there before. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but I'm worried mine's gonna kick it soon.

Funny you should mention that.. Sometimes I get texture pop-in on trackside objects or the tarmack in PGR3 while watching replays but never during the game. I wonder if that's normal, or a sign that something's wrong with my system..

Top Bottom