• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
i've got a unit that gives me 3 red rings once in a while, and a manufacture date of 2006-01-05. i bought it used from eb, not new. what are my options for buying any kind of warranties? am i too far out, or does it not apply to used systems?

rs7k

mattiewheels said:
i've got a unit that gives me 3 red rings once in a while, and a manufacture date of 2006-01-05. i bought it used from eb, not new. what are my options for buying any kind of warranties? am i too far out, or does it not apply to used systems?

You're out of luck. NEVER buy a used system from EB, especially one that seems to be as problem-prone as the 360. You're better off playing it until it totally ****s up on you, and then pay MS to fix it and go from there.

Unless EB gave you some sort of warranty, and then you should definitely bring it back if it's still covered.

rs7k

Holy shit, it took me 35 minutes on the phone to get the extended warranty. It was hard to explain to the monkey on the line that I had a Core and a HDD. All is swell though, as I have until Oct 2008 to destroy my system :p

Mojovonio

Banned
rs7k said:
Holy shit, it took me 35 minutes on the phone to get the extended warranty. It was hard to explain to the monkey on the line that I had a Core and a HDD. All is swell though, as I have until Oct 2008 to destroy my system :p

Hopefully you won't get caught in the storm of shit refurbished 360s that they send you. People have to go through 2-3 systems at times.

Joates

Banned
So I went to turn on my 360 tonight after about a week of no use and this is what I get everytime I boot up.

So its pretty much gone right? Time to put her down? If so how do I go about getting it replaced. I never got the warranty on it.

What a bad week, first my PSP goes*, and now my 360.

*Luckily had 2yr warranty on it

Checkerboard patterns are a sure sign that one or more pipelines on your GPU have suffered damage, usually a thermal issue.

There's nothing short of replacing the GPU that can fix the issue.. Send it to Microsoft. I feel for you. What was the manufacture date?

Foil

rs7k said:
It only cost me $52 canadian too. I thought it would be in the neighborhood of 80.

I called weeks ago to get the same warrenty for my 360, sent my cash off but they sent it back today saying I can't get a warrenty since I'm from Canada. WTF. I even gave them my reference number. Now it's too late for me to get the store warrenty. I'm at the point where I just want to sell the 360 until the hardware gets more stable. I'm pretty pissed off with their service dept.

The lady on the phone sounded clueless when I called to order it. I asked her over and over if I can send a money order, she said yes, so I did. Yah, thanks MS support for f-ing with me yet again. She even asked her supervisor twice if $52 was the correct price, if money orders were ok, and what the exact mailing address was.

It's bad enough this is already my second 360.

JoatesDogg187 said:
Dumb question im sure. Where do I find that?
(It was a lauch system)

On a sticker behind the console where you plug in the power cord or the video cable..

If it's a launch console, that was sort of expected :/ 04/2006 and onwards seem to be durable..

koam

Not my 360 but I was watching someone play madden on the 360 at futureshop and the console just died. It wasn't cased or anything so we tried restarting it, unplugging it and putting it back in but nothing worked.

Well, Ive been on the phone with the customer service today. The lady told me the problem might be due to the fact that my 360 had been disconnected from a power source, resulting in a certain discrepancy with the date set in the dashboard and the date with which certain newer games were trying to save games. However, as soon as I told her that the problem didnt occur while playing games, but while playing DVD's and hanging out in the dashboard, she immediatly offered to have the UPS pick it up. So... I hope they send me a brand spanking new one, cause Im not in the mood to go through this 4 or 5 times before they finally do.

Foil

Just called MS service back and finally got a girl who knew her job and wasn't an idiot. Processed my 2 year warrenty without error ($52 CDN), and I'm covered until December 2008. Thank god. Looks like Canadian's can get the warrenty and their consoles fixed. Just need to talk to someone who has a brain.

Not so worried about turning on my console now.

Oh yeah, I'm pretty screwed. The pop up in the Just Cause demo is unbelievable on my system. Half the trees don't appear unless I'm a few feet away from them. So it wasn't a Dead Rising glitch or a figment of my imagination in RR6. I actually hope it just hurries up and dies, because watching it get progressively worse sucks. And they probably won't replace it without an error message, right? I'm not calling to find out, because I had to deal with them earlier in the year re: My XBL acct. and it was the worst customer service experience of my life.

rs7k

Rummy Bunnz said:
Oh yeah, I'm pretty screwed. The pop up in the Just Cause demo is unbelievable on my system. Half the trees don't appear unless I'm a few feet away from them. So it wasn't a Dead Rising glitch or a figment of my imagination in RR6. I actually hope it just hurries up and dies, because watching it get progressively worse sucks. And they probably won't replace it without an error message, right? I'm not calling to find out, because I had to deal with them earlier in the year re: My XBL acct. and it was the worst customer service experience of my life.

Sounds like a shitty drive maybe. It may not be reading the data fast enough to keep up with the game.

I thought so too, but it's happening with DVDs and demos from the HD. And I've tried removing the HD and playing Dead Rising, and the problem's still there.

rs7k said:
That's so strange.

The 360 sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen for pretty much everyone :lol

I wish I could just get my money back and rebuy the console when all these problems have been fixed.

madmook

So I've been sitting pretty with my launch Core system (manufactured 09-28-2005, anybody know the date they first started making them?), and yesterday I went home all happy because I wanted to try the Just Cause demo. I even played some GRAW while it was downloading so everything was fine and dandy. So the demo finishes downloading and I go to try it, and it loads up fine. I start the game and it goes into another loading screen and then BAM! I get the checkerboard pattern. I didn't even get to see what Just Cause looked like in-game. Now I get the frozen zigzags whenever I try to start up any game, whether disc or demo from the HDD.

So here I am now, an unwilling member of this unfortunate band of brothers. I don't think I care enough to get another 360 until they come down in price and they supposedly switch to the 65nm manufacturing process in 2007. At least I'll have a HDD, controllers, wireless adapter and various a/v cables at the ready. My only regret is that my Xbox Live account will be sitting there doing nothing and I just recently bought some MS points too.

I wonder what % of the launch consoles were/are defective. My guess is much higher than what MS would ever admit to. *sighs*

demi

I just left my console on all night downloading the Just Cause and Saints Row demos, no problems when I woke up.

I think anyone whose console crashes should post a picture of their setup.

I save this on my HDD, and the article has since been removed form the site, but I found this interesting.

Is the Xbox 360 failure rate higher than we think? One employee of a leading publisher believes so, and he also thinks that Capcom's recent release of Dead Rising is contributing to the problem. More within...

GameDaily BIZ was tipped off today by an employee of a major publisher (he wished to keep his name and company anonymous) who claims that the Xbox 360 failure rate—at least within this particular publisher's studio—has been much higher than Microsoft has stated failure rates to be.

" got about 300 or so consoles to sell to us for the 360 launch - and I can tell you that from those consoles A LOT more than 5-6% of them have completely died (an informal poll comes closer to 30-50%)," the industry source said.

More interesting still was that this person witnessed even more 360 units fail when people started playing Capcom's Dead Rising around the offices.

"... it seems to center around the release of Dead Rising. The rumor no one can quite confirm right now, is that DR is one of the first games to use the Dual-Core and thus gets the machine hotter than any other games released so far," he explained.

For Capcom's part, the company doesn't seem to claim any responsibility for the apparent overheating issue. A spokesperson told us, "The game works under the specs of the 360 system and was approved by Microsoft. For anyone having issues with hardware, we have referred them to contact Microsoft for hardware support." (Capcom did not confirm at the time whether or not Dead Rising does indeed use the Dual-Core, or if this is the reason for the problem.)

After explaining the Dead Rising situation, the source then went on to further complain about the failure rate for the console and customer service at MS. "Upon investigating this online, I have discovered that over in the states they (MS) are beginning to charge people $130 to have their machines repaired if they go over the 3 mo warranty period. Some of us here at are on our 5th! console after returning it and burning out another and another and another. A quick calculation, and you can see that it won't take long to have your 360 costing you 2 and 3 times what the PS3 is planning on charging," he lamented. "Although they have not yet initiated that scheme here in the UK- it is still taking a month or more per exchange to ship and receive a new(refurb) console. But if it is true, that it is only just recently that games have come out that truly tax the console, that would seem like an unfair business practice to me."

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=13615

newsguy

demi said:
I just left my console on all night downloading the Just Cause and Saints Row demos, no problems when I woke up.

:lol :lol

Even if I hadn't read your "got my new 360" thread I would know you just bought it. BOTH the 360's that died on me were out in the open with plenty of space to stay cool.

demi

newsguy said:
:lol :lol

Even if I hadn't read your "got my new 360" thread I would know you just bought it. BOTH the 360's that died on me were out in the open with plenty of space to stay cool.

Post a picture anyway, tough guy.

newsguy

No one is acting tough, but I guarantee most people posting here (including myself) were riding high when their 360 was in the clear. After the initial $130 repair and the $50 2 year warranty I bought before my 2nd 360 died, I'm just letting you know that not every 360 that crashes is due to setup.

goldenpp72

It's true. My 360 stands vertical on top of my desk next to nothing but its accessories and a clock, the power brick goes lower onto the second tier of the desk, but still on a flat, cold surface with plenty of ventilation. I do admit I use the thing a LOT, but the fact it froze when I was dling content, then wouldnt start up after that means something happened.

ijm72

I had my console die on me in May when I was playing Fight Night 3. Since I bought the console in December at Best Buy and didnt buy the replacement plan I was ready to pay Microsoft to fix my console but when I callled them and gave them my serial number they said that my console had not been registered and then they asked me if I had recently bought it and I said yes so they just registered it for me. As it turns out they sent me a new console and 3 months of warranty and they didint charge me anything. I learned my lesson and bought the extended warranty.

newsguy

Chiggs said:
What's the turnaround for getting my 360 repaired (dirty disc errors)?

They will tell you 10 days. They send the box (1-4 days) and once you send it back it's 5-10 days before you get it back.

Foil

demi said:

I'm on my 2nd Xbox 360 right now since launch. Here's a pic, plenty of open space in all directions, the system sits on it's own table.

foil60qe7.jpg

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Dead rising seems to be having problems loading the areas.. I hope it's not a sign of a problem coming up...

Vark

Yay my system died today!

Same weird graphical checkerboard pattern other people are getting, an 0102 error code.

My systems out by its lonesome on my entertainment shelf (ie, the top of my TV) standing vertically with nothing around it but 65 degree air.

shuri

Banned
It's silly to suggest that certain games are 'console killers' considering how much play those games get while in testing. Problems would arise there real quickly.

Ok and whats this about a 2 years warranty for 52$CAN?

Vark

shuri said:
It's silly to suggest that certain games are 'console killers' considering how much play those games get while in testing. Problems would arise there real quickly.

Yea no game 'kills' a console. There just happens to be games you are playing when your console dies.

For me it was the lame just cause demo. Got to a loading screen and 'pffbbtt'.

Mojovonio

Banned
Vark said:
Yea no game 'kills' a console. There just happens to be games you are playing when your console dies.

But I can see a game like DR making the system overheat.

Demi, its a 19inch CRT. Nothing special.

I just noticed Joates was using a syncmaster too. HMMMMMMM.

demi

shuri said:

You bought yours at Costco. Lifetime warranty.

Demi, its a 19inch CRT. Nothing special.

And it looks better than standard TV? Mine is 17" and I'm getting an adapter sent to me to try out.

madmook

Vark said:

Holy crap deja vu (same exact thing happened to me). I hate flimsy launch hardware. :(

Mojovonio

Banned
demi said:
You bought yours at Costco. Lifetime warranty.

And it looks better than standard TV? Mine is 17" and I'm getting an adapter sent to me to try out.

OH YES! Especially DR. Everythng is much much cleaner than on a SDTV.

Mojovonio

Banned
So... 3-5% seems like bullshit when it happens to you, huh?

What sucks, is that even if I send it in to repair, i'm just going to get a shitty refurbished one in place :(.

rs7k

Shuri, call MS and they'll charge you $52 for the extended warranty (2 years).

Also, should I go ahead and connect the 360 to my shitty monitor? (Dell E551, shitty 15")

dakiparu

mine was 12.01.05, died after downloading and playing a bit with Dead Rising Demo (same checkerboard problem). I used to play a lot with it and keep it so cool that penguins were sitting on it when I played. When MS sent a new (refurbished) one back to me, I almost had a stroke, the refurbished box was dirty and OOOOLLLLLDDDD (10.04.05). I powered it up and fans started to spin so fast there was such an infernal sound until they totally crashed. I called MS customer care and they told me to stay quite and relaxed since they were going to change it again. A new xbox360 is now on its route to my house again and I really hope for MS this one is really NEW!!
I have almost ten friends who bought the xbox360 on day 1, now only one hasn't changed it... IMO failure percentage of X360 manufactured between launch and feb 2k6 is far over 50%...
Luckily enough MS repair service is fast...at least here in europe!

Raiden

Banned
Ugh...im really getting rather scared now, i got a launch system still working fine, but i dont have my warranty sign, i dont even have the box anymore, just the system...Should i get this warranty or whatever?

Mojovonio

Banned
Raiden said:
Ugh...im really getting rather scared now, i got a launch system still working fine, but i dont have my warranty sign, i dont even have the box anymore, just the system...Should i get this warranty or whatever?

if its past 6 months, you can't.

my disc drive has been acting funny. Sometimes it just won't open. I press the button to open it'll make noise like its trying but then just lock up? Anybody else have this?

i just got my 360 back yesterday! i bought my 360 at launch, had 1 problem during the 2nd day when it overheaterd and i got one of the scary red lights, but no problems at all until a couple of weeks ago when i got the rings of death. 360 D-I-E-D and i had to pay micro$oft $130 to fix it. i was pissed that they used the cheapest shipping option but surprised that it was pretty quick to/from their service center in texas.

Top Bottom