• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

Well, after sending my box to MS last Monday, and them receiving it on Thurs, I'm expecting my return on Tuesday. Basically, with repair and shipping it will have taken two weeks and the repair was free outside of the warranty. I'll be 100% satisfied if everything's cool when I actually get it back. But as of now, I'm pretty satisfied with their service.

I'm still waiting on my replacement for my box that died...June 02, 2007.

They finally received it after their coffin shortage on 6/17/07.

I called yesterday and they don't even have an outbound tracking number yet. I hate my life and myself and Microsoft.

Kabouter

Ollie Cromwell said:
I'm still waiting on my replacement for my box that died...June 02, 2007.

They finally received it after their coffin shortage on 6/17/07.

I called yesterday and they don't even have an outbound tracking number yet. I hate my life and myself and Microsoft.

I'm still waiting on my replacement for my box that died...May 22, 2007 (Was picked up by UPS on May 24th and delivered to MS on the 25th)

Still no idea on when I'll get another one, called on tuesday, they told me they'd call me back within 72 hours. It's 18:30 now, and nothing so far, well over 72 hours. Guess I'll be on the phone with MS again on monday. I don't hate my life, nor do I hate Microsoft, not happy about all this either though.

Oh and I already tried calling them again today, but I didn't feel like waiting so goddamn long, so I'll just try again monday morning, usually pretty quiet then.

Rorschach

Matrix said:
xbox.com says I dont have any registered consoles and it's been like that even before I was shipped the box.

I cant check my repair status/or warranty info,I get an error message telling me to call 1-800-shit box
I guess that's unrelated, then. :\

Laguna X said:
Holy shit! Your account got the 3-red-lights too. :eek:
:lol :(

Tokubetsu said:
THIS SAME SHIT HAPPENED TO BE TODAY. I've got a pretty long fuse as well but jesus christ. I call last tuesday night, everything is fine they say they'll ship it. My friend who has had his broken xbox for like 5 months now asks me for the number so he can send in his as well. He calls them 2 days after me, the thursday. Tuesday this week, still no box, I call them. The guy on the phone tells me that I'm in a ****ING QUEUE for the box to ship. Wednesday my friend is asking for help because he doesn't know where to put something in his box..Yes, he got his box yesterday, before me, who called 2 days before him...we live with 15 miles of each other. I call again today and the lady pretty much tells me that she's looking at my info and reference numbers and she's not seeing any update and that she needs to talk to the friggin manager. Like 15 minutes of being on hold and listening to shitty techno music, she comes back asking me what time would be best for them to call ME so they can have someone deal with me personally and "walk me through the repair process." HOW HARD IS IT TO SHIP A MOTHER****ING EMPTY BOX!?!?!?I don't care about the ****ing REPAIR PROCESS, I just want my console fixed or a sturdy refurb, Just please send me a god damn empty box with the return sticker man. This isn't supposed to be difficult. I literally want to just piss down the throat of Peter Moore right now.

I feel bad for mother****er who's gonna be calling me tomorrow because I'm really not in the mood for any of this bullshit anymore. I better get some free months of xbox live.
When they call (could take a couple of days...it took 2 days to get the callback), post in this thread. I'm curious if the same thing will happen to you (broken account). Maybe the programming glitch affected a bunch of people.

:lol Wow...she called again just as I was typing this post. o_O It's like she knows!

She called to say she doesn't have an update. :lol She said she'll call me back on Monday (they don't work weekends). I asked her if I would get compensated for XBL time and she said that I would get a free month and if I missed more than that, they'd send extra codes. Oh no...I hope it doesn't take more than 2 months...****! I'm already gonna miss The Darkness one of my most anticipated titles and I might miss NCAA, All Pro Football, and Madden too!? An inch closer to the boiling point. I've now passed longcat. >:|

ypo

Worth repeating:

According to an EB Games store manager, who wished to remain anonymous,

"At one stage we were getting calls everyday however this has slowed down. The failure rate must be well over 30% which when you look at a PC or iPod the failure rate is less than 2%."

Tokubetsu

Rorschach said:
I guess that's unrelated, then. :\

:lol :(

When they call (could take a couple of days...it took 2 days to get the callback), post in this thread. I'm curious if the same thing will happen to you (broken account). Maybe the programming glitch affected a bunch of people.

:lol Wow...she called again just as I was typing this post. o_O It's like she knows!

She called to say she doesn't have an update. :lol She said she'll call me back on Monday (they don't work weekends). I asked her if I would get compensated for XBL time and she said that I would get a free month and if I missed more than that, they'd send extra codes. Oh no...I hope it doesn't take more than 2 months...****! I'm already gonna miss The Darkness one of my most anticipated titles and I might miss NCAA, All Pro Football, and Madden too!? An inch closer to the boiling point. I've now passed longcat. >:|

Just got off the phone as well, basically told be its gonna take a few more days just to get it shipped because there was something wrong with my "service order" He's gonna call me back when it ships and again when i get my console back and im gonna be compensated for the month of live. I'm still pissed about missing The Darkness though. My friend is readdicted to WoW though so i might just take his console for next week.

Rorschach said:
I'm already gonna miss The Darkness one of my most anticipated titles and I might miss NCAA, All Pro Football, and Madden too!? An inch closer to the boiling point. I've now passed longcat. >:|

Those games should still be sold in stores well beyond their release dates. :)

Rorschach

Tokubetsu said:
Just got off the phone as well, basically told be its gonna take a few more days just to get it shipped because there was something wrong with my "service order" He's gonna call me back when it ships and again when i get my console back and im gonna be compensated for the month of live. I'm still pissed about missing The Darkness though. My friend is readdicted to WoW though so i might just take his console for next week.
Oh, it's just a box queue for you...guess I'm all alone, then. :[

MotorbreathX said:
Those games should still be sold in stores well beyond their release dates. :)
Haha I know...obviously. For the Darkness it will be a matter of avoiding all the threads and conversations amongst my friends, but for the other games mentioned, I will miss the GAF leagues. Missing the opening season (and perhaps the only season for NCAA and APF) of the GAF leagues is heartbreaking. I have participated in the GAF leagues since their inception. Ever since the sports titles have been online; I've been there. Then, there's the learning curve. By the time I get the game, everyone will be adjusted to the schemes and intricacies of the games. I'll have a lot of catching up to do.

Yeah, I feel ya. I was just givin' you a little crap. It definitely sucks it's taking them so long. Like I said above, by the time I get mine on Tuesday the whole process (shipping to them, repair, and shipping back) will be 2 weeks and 1 day. Not too bad. I don't understand why they are so inconsistent.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
MotorbreathX said:
Yeah, I feel ya. I was just givin' you a little crap. It definitely sucks it's taking them so long. Like I said above, by the time I get mine on Tuesday the whole process (shipping to them, repair, and shipping back) will be 2 weeks and 1 day. Not too bad. I don't understand why they are so inconsistent.

Does this 2 weeks begin when you shipped it, or when you called them initially? Just curious. My console died two weeks and a day ago (called them that day), and MS has mine. However, I shipped it off a week ago today.

I originally called them on May 29. I got the box that Friday. My 360 was working intermittently for about week after I called them so I held off shipping it so I could play some Forza 2. :) I then shipped it to them on June 11. It got to them on the 14th and they shipped it off on the 20th. It'll be in my hands on the 26th. So the 2 weeks was when I shipped it, but that's because I held onto it.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Okay. Hopefully I'll be so lucky, though having The Darkness in my hands for a week with no console will suck.

That's why it took me a week longer to send it off. Even though I was getting some freezes and random 3 red lights, which was weird on its' own, I didn't want to send it off not having played some Forza 2 after I just bought it.

Kabouter

MotorbreathX said:

Well, the European repair centre in Germany is apparently having to deal with far greater demand than they have capacity. So it's taking a lot longer, everyone who has sent one in lately here in the Netherlands has exceeded the standard 15 workday waiting time. So that's why it's taking longer for me, US prolly doesn't have those problems.

Bildi

DieH@rd said:
Anyone counted how many x360's are reported dead in this thread?
Addamsappel has updated his list on 24 May up to post 3164. Since we're nearly 1000 posts on since then (and only in a month - this thread is picking up steam as time goes on), I suspect he'll update it again soon.

504 dead consoles, 16 on life support. 402 individual posters. 25% refurb failure rate.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6310901&postcount=2670

MCD

Bildi said:
Addamsappel has updated his list on 24 May up to post 3164. Since we're nearly 1000 posts on since then (and only in a month - this thread is picking up steam as time goes on), I suspect he'll update it again soon.

504 dead consoles, 16 on life support. 402 individual posters. 25% refurb failure rate.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6310901&postcount=2670

Nice list there.

and btw, mine is no longer on life support, it died once and i got it fixed (not by MS).

so might as well add me to the dead consoles list.

Note: it died after i moved it to a semi closed cabinet (only sides are closed) and after using the MS VGA for like...a week.

lasted about a year, and now it's working fine.

my box made it to the repair center today. now the real wait begins!

i'll call and bug them for an update on monday because i want this sucker back before the 4th of july.

WickedLaharl said:
my box made it to the repair center today. now the real wait begins!

i'll call and bug them for an update on monday because i want this sucker back before the 4th of july.
If your console just reached the service center today, followups to the call center are going to be moot until about Wednesday or so. After that, you should probably call daily applying the "squeaky wheel gets the grease" mantra.

I'd put your odds at getting your console back before July 4th at about 50/50 right now.

Rorschach

Thanks to our wonderful community rep B-Rad, I got my account problem solved and they're shipping me a box "early next week." :D Hopefully, that means I might get it back before APF comes out. *crosses fingers*

Thanks again, man. You're awesome!

I'm now in docile cat mode.

534krc3.jpg

66x0e1d.jpg

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
So is it useless to call MS on the weekend to ask them about my console? I was thinking about calling tomorrow when I get home from vacation, but I can wait until Monday if need be.

rs7k

The refurb I got runs quite a bit hotter than my previous console, but it's running really solid. Why do some consoles run hotter though? Doesn't seem to make sense.

Manp

after 23 days my 360 is still at the repair center in Germany... i have just 2 words for Mr. Moore, well i guess everyone can figure out what i mean -_-

:)

PnCIa

Manp said:
after 23 days my 360 is still at the repair center in Germany... i have just 2 words for Mr. Moore, well i guess everyone can figure out what i mean -_-

Mine is there since 30 days. (also in Germany)
Maybe they´re adding the second heatsink...at least I got a present from them for the waiting :p

Manp

PnCIa said:
Mine is there since 30 days. (also in Germany)
Maybe they´re adding the second heatsink...at least I got a present from them for the waiting :p

must be one hell of a heatsink if it takes one month to install it :lol

glad you got a present (1 month Xbox Live for free?), guess i'll probably end up getting absolutely nothing tho, knowing my luck... or lack of :(

jedimike

Emerson said:
So is it useless to call MS on the weekend to ask them about my console? I was thinking about calling tomorrow when I get home from vacation, but I can wait until Monday if need be.

You can call them at anytime. They are currently manning 24/7.

BTW, still waiting for my console to be returned. I assume the recent delays are due to the new modifications. So now I will have 2 premiums in the house. I decided to keep them both since a lot of games these days are multiplayer only over XBL.

Rorschach

Emerson said:
You can call on the weekend. The ones who I was referring to that don't work on the weekend are the "dedicated repair agents."

Orlics

rs7k said:
The refurb I got runs quite a bit hotter than my previous console, but it's running really solid. Why do some consoles run hotter though? Doesn't seem to make sense.

Perhaps it's actually expelling heat better than your previous console.

comrade

I'm waiting for my console to be shipped back to me but it's been sitting in Ontario, CA for 2 days. Doesn't UPS deliver on Saturdays or are the drivers on strike?

PnCIa

Manp said:
must be one hell of a heatsink if it takes one month to install it :lol

glad you got a present (1 month Xbox Live for free?), guess i'll probably end up getting absolutely nothing tho, knowing my luck... or lack of :(

They offered me a game (PDZ, Kameo, PGR3, Viva Pinata) or another controller...I took the controller in the end because I own all those games. I don´t want some damn present though, I want my 360 for Dirt :(

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Rorschach said:
You can call on the weekend. The ones who I was referring to that don't work on the weekend are the "dedicated repair agents."

Oh good, I'll be giving them a call tomorrow afternoon when I get home then.

Remy

I opened my case about getting my points refunded back on June 6th. Opened a BBB case at the suggestion of someone a few pages back.

A week and a half later I get 16,600 of my 17,000 points back - they shorted me 400. This is after I listed all the transactions I had and triple counted the points when I opened the case. So I asked for an explanation last Saturday, and my rep told me it would take a few business days to figure out. Fine.

Yesterday, he calls and leaves a message on my answering machine to call him. Doesn't give me a direct number for him - just the usual 800-4MY-XBOX.

Today, he calls me again (hitting my voicemail again because I'm out) and tells me the resolution is, that all they have records for me buying is 16,600 points. Is it even possible to just buy 16,600 points?

17000.png

You know the best part of buying points? There's no invoice number on the transactions. So I look forward to trying to explain all of these transactions.

Still: Why is the burden of proof on me here? I'm asking for a seemingly disputed 400 points back - not a free game, not a new 360, not an extension of my warranty, not a free repair. I just want the 400 points back. If Microsoft is so hellbent on "treating people right", why is there a protracted process to get all of the points that I clearly purchased back?

EDIT: Just got on the phone with them again, and apparently they can only look at exactly the last year of points transactions. That doesn't explain the discrepancy above, but hoooooly shit I hope that's not true for those of you who have owned the system for longer than I have.

Bodom78

My 360 almost never boots the first time. Everything lights up but the screen remains black.

Next boot always works and aside from this I have no other problems, no freezing in game or anything.

It's been like this for about 7 months now and I kind of just put it off that it's going to die soon but it just keeps on kicking :D

Anyone else have a similar problem?

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Ok this is my first post in this thread...

i havent played my 360 since my playoff run ended in nba 2k season 2
i turn it on today to play a movie, loads up fine, asks for me to update something, I do it, then is resets and wont start up anymore, it freezes at the load screen,

no red rings or nothing, just wont get past that screen... what is going on.. .I only need this thing for the football games coming out and the next nba game... wtf

EDIT

10 mins later

the RED RING COMETH the RED RING TAKETH AWAY

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Sorry Malley :(

Place your order for a cozy new coffin.

Yay! Got another psychadelic visual display. This one was much more boring though. Got flashes of checkers at first, then the screen went black. After a couple of seconds I got a distorted black and white mess. Now for trying to kill it with Hour of Victory again.

Stay away from November 2006 consoles. By far the crappiest one I've owned. Brand new and lasted about 4 months before it started its freaky visual displays and discchewing ability. Ironically, the most reliable 360 I've owned was the refurbished one.

edit
Haha. I just got the blinking green on/off light of....prosperity?

Odoul

Unbelievable.

I play a little Gears for about 15 minutes (keep in mind I just played about 5 minutes 3 days ago just to make sure it works) and I get a disc unreadable error message. So thats 5 months with my first one 6 weeks without and 6 days with my next one.

I'm calling for another coffin and then that bitch is going straight to Microcenter. I might get an Elite or PS3 in a couple of months when MS gets it's shit together or Sony drops the price. Either way both have got a LOT of ass kissing to do in my opinion.

Kabouter

Alright, I called MS again (been trying all day, only now could actually get a hold of them). Turns out, my 360, which was picked up may 24th, won't be back here for another 5-10 workdays. They will only give me a month of 'free' live, even though I've been without live for longer than that. And I will receive no compensation of any kind for waiting twice as long as their regular maximum waiting period.

**** you Microsoft.

Top Bottom