• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

N. Korea sentences American to 15 years labor (Up: Otto Warmbier has died)

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2016/...can-15-years-hard-labour-160316040031923.html

North Korea's highest court sentenced an American tourist who allegedly attempted to steal a propaganda banner from a restricted area of his hotel to 15 years of hard labour in prison.

Otto Warmbier, a 21-year-old University of Virginia undergraduate student, was convicted and sentenced in a one-hour trial Wednesday morning at the North's Supreme Court. He was charged with subversion.

No further details were immediately available.

Warmbier was arrested in early January as he tried to leave the country after visiting as a tourist with a New Year's tour group.

In a statement made before his trial, he told a gathering of reporters in Pyongyang he wanted the banner "as a trophy" for the mother of a friend.

Not a total shock but still, brutal. Can the US do anything for this guy or is he boned?

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
you have to be immeasurably dumb to even think about doing such a thing. 15 years is harsh, ouch

Starviper

15 years at the age of 21 for trying to grab a banner.. Pretty dumb move on the person's part, but why didn't they just boot him out of the country? Seems like a political move.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Are these people North Korea holds hostage really sent to labor camps? Given the political leverage hostages bring, I would think they would be treated like royalty until whatever ransom (or visit from dignitary) is paid.

Wag

15 years at the age of 21 for trying to grab a banner.. Pretty dumb move on the person's part, but why didn't they just boot him out of the country? Seems like a political move.

He is a "political" prisoner after all. Of course they are making an example out of him. They want to use his at the negotiating table.

DarkKyo

I feel like you have to be pretty dumb to even visit NK as a tourist, nevermind try to steal or vandalize anything. Can't help but feel bad for him even so.

Not a total shock but still, brutal. Can the US do anything for this guy or is he boned?

US is clear that in most circumstances they generally can't bail you out if you violate laws in foreign countries. Of course political pressure could always change things, but I would be shocked to see any sort of major intervention.

steveovig

I think it's time to give our enemies a due reminder of whom they are fucking with.

We have sat idly by for too long.

Donald Trump, is that you?

Seriously though, my heart goes out to him. His life is screwed for a dumb mistake. He'll probably be in hell until his release, if he makes it that long.

US is clear that in most circumstances they generally can't bail you out if you violate laws in foreign countries. Of course political pressure could always change things, but I would be shocked to see any sort of major intervention.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect much. It'd just create an incentive for North Korea to keep arresting American tourists.

Yep, this kid is gonna serve all 15 or die beforehand. The US won't cut a deal when he very clearly violated their laws.

Still, outrageous laws.

Wag

I think it's time to give our enemies a due reminder of whom they are fucking with.

We have sat idly by for too long.

Like what? Bomb them? It's too late for that, they probably have nukes at this point. We are imposing pretty harsh sanctions on them, not much more we can do.

Donald Trump, is that you?

Seriously though, my heart goes out to him. His life is screwed for a dumb mistake. He'll probably be in hell until his release, if he makes it that long.

Did he make a dumb mistake, or was he kidnapped and assigned a made up "crime"?

Obama must do something to repay this insult while he still has time in office.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I can't tell if the type of people that want to go on North Korea tours are also the type of people that would stupidly break the rules, or if North Korea makes it all up to justify their political hostage taking.

I would believe it either way.

Pineapple

Are we already victim blaming in this thread?

Kind of unreal.

This is a government that can detain and imprison you for any reason - if they say you did a crime, you did a crime - it doesn't matter if you didn't.

I feel so sorry for this kid.

Tell me when a person is allowed to be judged for their actions and when doing so is considered victim blaming.

No sane government would punish someone like this for allegedly tearing down a poster. At worst, you would get some sort of fine. I'm not even convinced that he committed this "crime" in the first place.

olympia

I agree. I think they're going to end up releasing him. The timing of this with the recent actions of the DPRK/increased sanctions would seem to indicate that they are using him as a bargaining chip.

No sane government would punish someone like this for allegedly tearing down a poster. At worst, you would get some sort of fine. I'm not even convinced that he committed this "crime" in the first place.

He didn't just try to tear down a poster, he also entered a off-limits floor of the tourist hotel.

My sister stayed in the same hotel with the same tour company. Extremely harsh penalty but also a pretty bad lapse of judgement from the tourist. There's no doubt he's been victimized.

Chuck

Still without luck
Aren't these people treated extremely well until the US negotiates a deal getting them home?

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
He is a stupid asshole for going to North Korea in the first place and supporting that regime with his money.
But that is irrelevant in this case, 15 years is not acceptable. Any prison time is unacceptable. Obviously he isn't really getting 15 years for grabbing a banner. Especially since he ended up changing his mind and leaving it on the floor instead of taking it. The 15 years is to say fuck you to the US government. So once NK have their fun crotch thrusting and screaming suck it, they will probably negotiate his release.

Wag

He is a stupid asshole for going to North Korea in the first place and supporting that regime with his money.
But that is irrelevant in this case, 15 years is not acceptable. Any prison time is unacceptable. Obviously he isn't really getting 15 years for grabbing a banner. Especially since he ended up changing his mind and leaving it on the floor instead of taking it. The 15 years is to say fuck you to the US government. So once NK have their fun crotch thrusting and screaming suck it, they will probably negotiate his release.

Sure they will negotiate for his release, but that will probably take some time, possibly years. I don't relish the time he will spend imprisoned.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

I don't think anyone here is saying he is deserving of 15 years, or any punishment for that matter. It's not victim blaming to question why a foreigner would willingly do that in North Korea, though.

wildfire

Banned
Could've been a forced confession to something he didn't do

Let's be real. It's not unrealistic. Sadly tourists can fuck up and those from my country are occasionally criticized for stealing stuff.

I wonder what political capitol we'll be paying to get him out of this dumb jam.

mdubs

Banned
I don't think anyone here is saying he is deserving of 15 years, or any punishment for that matter. It's not victim blaming to question why a foreigner would willingly do that in North Korea, though.
Curiosity I guess, there have been a number of gaffers who went there and got back fine (which is why I think he had to have done something in this case)

Shame for him because whatever outrageous concession they ask for his freedom won't be worth it and he'll have to serve this out. But then again, he went to North Korea and its not exactly a secret things like this happen there

PaulloDEC

To suggest the kid deserves 15 years hard labour for stealing a banner is obviously insane, but then so is choosing to commit a crime in North Korea of all places. Even visiting that place seems nuts to me, let alone trying to steal their shit.

Hopefully something can be done to get him out, and this whole thing ends up being a valuable lesson for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom