• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

N++ |OT| Time is money

yeah i want it either way
just bummed i forgot to get the discount

i guess it's because the game went live early?
i love how arbitrary everything is on psn's store

FYI: I just bought the game a few hours ago and the pre-order discount still applied. It was listed as $20 in the store but changed to $16 when I went to checkout. This was the U.S. PSN store fwiw, worth a shot if people are worried about having missed the discount.

Here it is!

The Way of N++ (Live-action Nplusplus a'la TRON)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc7v4r-GPiA

pNNYKR.jpg

Bought it without checking anything about it, I spent so much time with N+ on DS but never bought it (flash card were so hot), I felt like I had to buy this one.

Can't wait to try it, by the comments it sounds like everything I'm looking for and more.

dugdug

Banned
So, neogaf user depward just sent me $20 to buy this. Never talked to the guy before, but, he saw my post earlier. That is incredible generosity! Thanks depward!

Downloading now. :)

Just finished getting all gold in the intro section.

Its so well put together, anyone struggling to get gold on the levels should continue on and play a few more, the way it introduces you to new tricks is so well crafted. Read the level names as well.

Haha nice man, thanks for posting this!

Got the 1000 deaths trophy already. Help me, Mare!
Glad you liked it. I'm pretty confident that trophy is about to hit for me too. Just have to get back home to play it.

So, neogaf user depward just sent me $20 to buy this. Never talked to the guy before, but, he saw my post earlier. That is incredible generosity! Thanks depward!

Downloading now. :)
Amazing! We (Infinite Medium) may be giving away a couple copies of the game as well. This game deserves to be played!

gunstarhero

Just cleared al the intro levels and a few user levels on my first play through. Seriously awesome stuff. The music and gameplay are perfect.

Level editor was confusing as fuck - need to sit down and figure it out some more.

fucking fuck this game is good

I'm still disappointed by the lack of online multiplayer, but man, the singleplayer is sublime. really, really enjoying it.

DirtyLarry

Man, I do not know why I do it to myself. For someone who plays games super slow already because I have to explore every nook and cranny, this is the game that takes advantage of my gaming OCD like no other. It is part torture and part pleasure, but right now I love it.

Few questions as it has been a long time since I played the first game so I just plain forget.

1. Are there any benefits to doing an entire level set without dying at all besides bragging rights and the little icon of the gold bar with the ninja in it?
  2. On the leaderboards, although it says I am a higher rank than my friends, it displays me underneath everyone. Is that just how they chose to do it? Or am I not actually higher than them because I missed something?
  3. I also noticed their ranks are white and mine is a darker color, and their scores are the darker color and mine is white (or it may be the other way around). Again, is that just how they choose to display it or is there a reason for it?

Off to play some more before I go to bed. If I can go to bed. This damn game is going to be on loop in my head.

Arondight

My only chance to be top at a level at a game where there aren't much players yet :).

Great game. I'm still waiting on a second controller to play co-op and multi which seem just as fun.

Colour schemes add a lot to the game and looks incredible.

One thing I've kind of found kind of cool yet pointless is the auto levels. It's amazing the amount of time people have spent making them and getting all the timing right but you aren't exactly playing the game either.

Getting the color schemes is So rewarding. The more I play it though the more I wish it was on the vita. The amazing d-pad and lack of input lag make it perfect for games like this. Not to mention being able to play this game anywhere

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Goddamn, I loved the first game. I just bought this today and today was literally my first time ever hearing about it. Needless to say, so worth the money. The perfect game when I just want to game and get away from everything.

Not to mention my cousin and I will be playing this co-op, and it'll be amazing.

Blanquito

Question (and sorry if it's been answered before): when I am on a block of episodes, it shows me my score for that block. However, it currently is showing me my friend's scores (I don't have any that play this yet) but I want to view global. How do I switch this? I've tired every button and nothing

VanEpoch

Neo Member
Question (and sorry if it's been answered before): when I am on a block of episodes, it shows me my score for that block. However, it currently is showing me my friend's scores (I don't have any that play this yet) but I want to view global. How do I switch this? I've tired every button and nothing

Square to get to the scores and then L1 and R1 to switch lists.

Blanquito

Square to get to the scores and then L1 and R1 to switch lists.
Thank you! I saw replays and watched some, but missed that it changed what the shoulder buttons did.

Also, I absolutely love watching other people's failures on the home screen. Are those updated with new failures or are they set?

BashNasty

Really hope this game picks up a big audience, it deserves it. The developers have nailed the idea of a game that exists solely to be played. Everything from the quick menus to the snappy restarts supports that.

This game deserves to sell a lot, but the sluggish pace of this thread has me nervous.

kerrak

Really hope this game picks up a big audience, it deserves it. The developers have nailed the idea of a game that exists solely to be played. Everything from the quick menus to the snappy restarts supports that.

This game deserves to sell a lot, but the sluggish pace of this thread has me nervous.

The pricing at this moment is probably driving away impulse purchases.
On top of that, at the EU storefront, n++ is not featured. You have to look for it.
The game itself is so polished and addicting, that even given those limitations, i think it has a chance to become a success story.

God damn this game is fucking good. Never really played much N+ but I can see myself getting obsessed over this like Super Meat Boy all over again. On the tutorial levels so far getting ranked 20-100. I'm assuming that's just because of how new it is, but i'll enjoy my high rankings while it lasts.

How do you unlock color schemes?

At the level select screen press L2.

DirtyLarry

I believe the question is what do you need to do or complete in order to unlock color schemes. I would like to know as well.

Also still hoping someone can answer my questions above. I just want to know if I am not doing something or the game just decides to display me last even though it says my actual ranking # is higher than others.

I made another level, this one is called "More Haste, Less Speed.

I made a bunch of levels on N+ too.

One of easier level editors to use.

SerTapTap

How do you unlock color schemes?

Completing episodes it seems like, though I'm not sure exactly how. Playing columns instead of rows seems to unlock them faster, but it's not for completing a whole column as I've beaten only 1 N++ solo column but unlocked 4 or 5 colors.

The game seems designed around completing columns rather than rows anyway--though clearing the whole top row will get you a trophy and is good practice.

Another question is how do you unlock options menu items: I unlocked "is it art", I forget when. I think I completed the first column (screw Clairvoyage)

Man, I do not know why I do it to myself. For someone who plays games super slow already because I have to explore every nook and cranny, this is the game that takes advantage of my gaming OCD like no other. It is part torture and part pleasure, but right now I love it.

Few questions as it has been a long time since I played the first game so I just plain forget.

1. Are there any benefits to doing an entire level set without dying at all besides bragging rights and the little icon of the gold bar with the ninja in it?
  2. On the leaderboards, although it says I am a higher rank than my friends, it displays me underneath everyone. Is that just how they chose to do it? Or am I not actually higher than them because I missed something?
  3. I also noticed their ranks are white and mine is a darker color, and their scores are the darker color and mine is white (or it may be the other way around). Again, is that just how they choose to display it or is there a reason for it?

Off to play some more before I go to bed. If I can go to bed. This damn game is going to be on loop in my head.

1: There are 3 trophies for beating a first row, middle row and last row episode without death, that's all
2: It just always shows your name and score at the bottom in case you're not in the list displayed
3: I think it's just highlighting your score depending on the color scheme

SerTapTap

More people need to play this. N++ would have been a perfect IGC title

They have server costs per-user so PS+ isn't going to happen (dev said so explicitly earlier in the thread).

IMO streaming is what will help this get exposure, there's no online multi to stuff with PS+, they just need lots of videos/streams of people playing cool levels.

_h8bit

Banned
I wasn't sure about this game but after doing some share play co-op with a friend of mine last night i think i'm going to need to pick this up soon.

Apdiddy

I'm not really too pleased with N++ (of course having nightmares and waking up at 4 a.m. didn't help me) and the controls seem a little 'sticky' to me but I'll get used to it. I hated Hotline Miami and slowly grew to be able to play it better (still want the Platinum though).

SerTapTap

I'm not really too pleased with N++ (of course having nightmares and waking up at 4 a.m. didn't help me) and the controls seem a little 'sticky' to me but I'll get used to it. I hated Hotline Miami and slowly grew to be able to play it better (still want the Platinum though).

What's "sticky"? The controls are extremely precise, but there's momentum. I don't normally like that in platformers, but it's a huge part of the game. Learning to play the game is basically learning to control momentum. Play the intro levels in order and you just have a much better idea of how to play and control.

It's one of my favorite things about the tutorial, it seems designed for that sort of person willing to learn but has no idea how it works. On the very first level I didn't know about momentum and slid right into the mine at the end and got a trophy for it--that's such perfect design.

Apoc29

We all have our own perception of what a game is worth. If you're on the fence due to the price, just think about it: the game comes with an absolute shit-ton of content. User-created levels will keep giving you more content. And the devs say they're going to double the content themselves? That's madness.

If you're not into challenging platformers, that may be a valid reason not to get the game. But if you are, you'd be a fool not to pick this up.

Mr.Ock

Yas. YAS. YAAAAAASSSSS.

image9nsq0.jpg

I also did a supercut of my efforts to get all gold in my favourite level so far.
https://youtu.be/IusXeTFKwj4

dis game

I ended up getting 2nd global spot on that level without even trying, p cool. Probably because nobody actually tried it yet, I suck. But this game is so, so good! It's just pure, unadulterated gameplay, and such a gameplay it is! Buy it, people!

SerTapTap

BTW set "numberwang" in options to 1 if you want to actually be able to read your completion %

I ended up getting 2nd global spot on that level without even trying, p cool. Probably because nobody actually tried it yet, I suck. But this game is so, so good! It's just pure, unadulterated gameplay, and such a gameplay it is! Buy it, people!

You're kind of supposed to give up on that level, I was surprised to see so many people in here and on Twitter forcing their way through it. It's just there to teach you not to obsess over 100% from the get go

soultron

Banned
This game... Burns wasn't kidding about the soundtrack. I could leave this game running at parties just for this music.

I wish my friends were into this kind of music. I'd have more parties.

ktynn

Banned
Do i need to get all coins in levels before i unlock more color palettes or do i just need to clear levels?

SerTapTap

Do i need to get all coins in levels before i unlock more color palettes or do i just need to clear levels?

Pretty sure it's just clear episodes. Outside the Intro I have very few all gold episodes (and intro doesn't seem to "count") but I have several colors and have beaten about 30 episodes. I all gold most levels, but there's usually one super hard level to all gold per episode that I pass on

mare

Neo Member
This is the level:

CLBZuVTWgAAd0td.jpg:large

The gold is by the exit behind a door, and the only way to open the door is to open the exit because there's a switch behind the exit switch.

But the mine and the exit are so close together that I've found it impossible so far to get it.

Hi -- sorry about this, we made some last-minute changes to that level that ended up making that gold impossible... we'll fix it the next update!

mare

Neo Member
Did all the intro levels last night, then spent about 20 minutes trying out various custom levels.

The game is great. I wasn't expecting it not to be, as I loved N+ to bits. The DS4 is a wonderful controller for this, but I did find it way more comfortable to swap the jump to Square instead of X. Shame the game itself doesn't have button config option, rather than having to use the PS4 accessibility options. I was also finding I was having more success when using the d-pad instead of the analog stick.

Only negative is that I wish you could retry the last level again from the episode menu. Too many times I completed a level without getting all the gold, so wanted to retry and get them all, but pressed X to continue rather than Triangle to retry.

hey -- if you hit the exit accidentally, you can hold R1 + press Triangle to retry after victory.

Also, on the episode grid, press Triangle to switch into individual levels mode -- you have to unlock the levels by beating them in episode mode, but after that you can play them separately (so you can go back to that one level you missed some gold on without having to replay all 5 in the episode).

mare

Neo Member

1) the game will remember that you did this, but it's not revealed/unlocked until much later (also: there are a few trophies that require no-death runs)

2) this is a bug, we'll fix it in the next update, sorry!

3) we coloured your score differently to make it stand out/easier to see in a full list.

Apdiddy

What's "sticky"? The controls are extremely precise, but there's momentum. I don't normally like that in platformers, but it's a huge part of the game. Learning to play the game is basically learning to control momentum. Play the intro levels in order and you just have a much better idea of how to play and control.

It's one of my favorite things about the tutorial, it seems designed for that sort of person willing to learn but has no idea how it works. On the very first level I didn't know about momentum and slid right into the mine at the end and got a trophy for it--that's such perfect design.

I've come to realize I have almost impossible standards on game controls -- basically, when I press a button, I expect the character to react immediately. I would do 'jump' and try to have him do a walljump but he would either fall or stay in place after I pressed the button.

Like I said, I'll spend more time with the game Friday/Saturday.

mare

Neo Member
about unlocking colours: a new colour will unlock after every 5 non-intro episodes you beat. (this includes Solo/Race/Co-op, both N++ and Legacy).

Eventually you will run out of new colours to unlock, but that will be after about 250 beaten episodes ;)

Hi -- sorry about this, we made some last-minute changes to that level that ended up making that gold impossible... we'll fix it the next update!

Oh my God you have no idea how long I spent trying to get that gold last night!

I had another small bug in the editor earlier. Made a level and when I tried to name it, it wouldn't bring up the keyboard so it was impossible to name it and therefore publish it. Turning the PS4 off/on fixed it.

jiggles

Banned
I love how, when you're in a stage in individual level mode, you can just flick through every single stage instantly using L1 and R1.

BashNasty

I love how, when you're in a stage in individual level mode, you can just flick through every single stage instantly using L1 and R1.

I love that too. The way that levels load instantly, even when you're playing levels created by other users in the browser, is one of the things that makes this game feel so polished. If, when playing user levels, I had to click a level, confirm that I wanted to download it, then wait a second before actually being able to play it, I would be much less likely to play as many user created levels.

It's the little things that make a big difference.

Top Bottom