• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NAIAS / Detroit Auto Show 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaeger

s9LSSFC.png

In 2 days, one of the world's biggest Auto Shows will once again begin. We will see new new and revised production cards, as well as concepts that will preview future vehicles in the short and longterm. As a Detroiter born and raised, I only went to a handful of the shows due to really not being that interested in automobiles as a kid. Huge regrets. I was supposed to attend this year, but money and life came in the way. But, downtown Detroit is always lively during the time. The Cobo Hall arena is well organized and the displays are beautiful.

The following sites will have 24/7 access/coverage this week;

- http://www.carscoops.com/
- http://www.autoblog.com/
- http://jalopnik.com/
- http://www.naias.com/

COBO Center, Detroit, Michigan | January 12-25, 2015
- Start time (6:30 AM)
t1421065800z2.png

One of the early reveals is the Infiniti Q60 Concept, which is certainly a preview of an upcoming new coupe which the brand sorely needs to stay competitive. This will more than likely be a replacement for the aging Q60 (formerly G37) coupe they have now.

No technical details have been given yet.

I'm ready.

Here's the press conference schedule and official/rumored vehicle debuts that are currently known. (if you have one to add, post and I will edit) All times are EST.

Monday, January 12, 2015
Press Preview

7:35-8:00am Chevrolet (2016 Volt)
8:05-8:30am Nissan (2016 Titan(2))
8:35-9:00am Alfa Romeo
9:10-9:35am Ford (2016 Mustang GT350R, F-150 Raptor, GT, Focus RS)
9:50-10:15am Mercedes-Benz and smart (2016 GLE Coupe)
10:20-10:45am Volkswagen (2016 7-seater CUV)
10:50-11:15am BMW (2016 6 series/M6)
11:20-11:45am Porsche
11:50am-12:15pm Acura (2016 NSX)
12:20-12:45pm Audi (2016 Q7, RS3 Sportback)
12:50-1:15pm Toyota (2016 Tacoma)
1:20-1:45pm MINI
1:50-2:15pm Bentley
2:25-2:50pm Hyundai
2:55-3:20pm Volvo
4:05-4:35pm Local Motors

Tuesday, January 13, 2015
Press Preview

8:05-8:30am Infiniti (Q60 Concept)
8:40-9:05am Lexus (2016 GS-F)
9:15-9:40am Ram
9:50-10:15am Cadillac (2016 CTS-V (2))
10:25-10:50am Lincoln
11:00-11:25am Honda (FCV Concept)

From GTPlanet

-
Noteworthy Reveals

Production vehicles
-2016/2017 Ford GT
Over 600 horsepower. Twin tubro EcoBoost V6. Liberal carbon fiber body work. Production starts in 2016.
http://jalopnik.com/ford-gt-this-is-it-1678893649
http://www.carscoops.com/2015/01/all-new-ford-gt-supercar-arrives-in.html

Concept vehicles

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I've been reading rumors of a Nissan Z redesign to make it lighter and more in line with the old 240Zs for a few years now. I get my hopes up for every car show that maybe I'll see something, and I always leave disappointed. It is The Last Guardian of cars for me.

Jaeger

I've been reading rumors of a Nissan Z redesign to make it lighter and more in line with the old 240Zs for a few years now. I get my hopes up for every car show that maybe I'll see something, and I always leave disappointed. It is The Last Guardian of cars for me.

I'm with you. I love the Z. In fact, my first purchase was a 1990 Z Twin Turbo.

any new teslas to be unveiled?

I've heard rumors of a new or redesigned Roadster.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I'm with you. I love the Z. In fact, my first purchase was a 1990 Z Twin Turbo.

Nice! My first car was a tiny Nissan truck handed down from my Uncle, but the first car that was properly mine was a 1985 300ZX, and I drive a 1983 280ZX Turbo now. It is in terrible shape and I'm too broke to do anything about it, but it is still fun to drive.

JCX

I must be one of the few metro Detroit kids who never went. Just not interested in cars like that.

MLIVE said:
Acura

A production version of the highly-anticipated, American-built Acura NSX supercar will make its global debut in Detroit at the 2015 North American International Auto Show. Though Honda has offered hints of its luxury brand's updated sports car in the past, the Japanese automaker announced in December it it plans to unveil the next-gen, production version of the NSX at NAIAS. Honda debuted a concept of the next-gen NSX at the 2012 NAIAS.

Chevrolet

General Motors Co. will unveil the next-generation Chevrolet Volt. The 2016 Volt will be one of five new or significantly redesigned vehicles that Chevrolet plans to launch in 2015, GM executives said in August. The brand has not announced the other four. Sales of the first-generation, 2011 Volt began in the U.S. in December 2010.

Nissan

Nissan will debut a 2016 Titan full-size pickup on Jan. 12. The truck was designed in California, engineered in Michigan and will be built in Mississippi, according to Nissan. The engine is being built in Indiana and Tennessee.

Toyota

Toyota plans to unveil a revamped Tacoma midsize pickup. Bloomberg notes that the new Tacoma will land in an increasingly competitive midsize pickups segment. The Tacoma has not been redesigned in 10 years.

Ford

Ford plans to introduce a newly designed F-150 SVT Raptor, according to Edmunds.com, which said the Dearborn automaker will also show off a redesigned Focus RS, though Ford has remained mum on any specifics. Rumors have also circulated that the Blue Oval could debut a new, high-performance predecessor to its GT, though this remains unconfirmed.

Cadillac

Auto show attendees will get a first physical look at the Cadillac 2016 CTS-V in Detroit, which Cadillac said is the most powerful product in the General Motors luxury brand's 112-year history. Although it makes its official debut at the 2015 NAIAS, Cadillac pulled the cloak on the 640-horsepower, rear-wheel-drive sedan last month. It draws its and 630 lb.-ft. of torque from an all-new 6.2L V-8 engine.

Audi

According to Automotive News, Audi plans to unveil a smaller Q7 SUVB at the Detroit auto show on Jan. 12.

Volkswagen

Volkswagen will debut an SUV concept with a new nameplate, according to Reuters. The new, five-passenger vehicle will be built at the German automaker's Chattanooga plant, beginning next year.

Lincoln

Lincoln will pull the cloak on an all-new version of the MKX crossover, the specifics of which will be revealed at the auto show.

Ram

Ram is reportedly unveiling a revamped 2016 Ram 1500 pickup. The 1500-3000 pickups have been a top seller in the U.S. The FCA US brand hasn't said much, other than this Dec. 30 tweet:

Life’s more fun off the beaten path. An exciting new way to get there is coming soon! #RamRules https://t.co/ucHlnRENwJ

— RamTrucks (@RamTrucks) December 30, 2014
BMW

BMW says it plans to unveil a "raft of new products" at the show. A new BMW 6 Series Convertible, Coupe and Gran Coupe, as well as a new BMW M6 Coupe, BMW M6 Convertible and BMW M6 Gran Coupe high-performance model will all make their world debut at the NAIAS. The 6-series models will be joined by BMW's i-series electric vehicles and a prototype of a drive module for an electric-hydrogen fuel cell drive system.

Alfa Romeo

Italian brand Alfa Romeo, of Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, plans a global debut of a 4C Spider, according to Automotive News. In June, FCA announced the brand will return to the U.S. after a 20-year hiatus with the Alfa Romeo 4C Launch Edition with a starting price of $68,400, followed by the standard 4C coupe arriving in the fall with at $53,900. The 4C Spider will be a two-seater sports car.

Tesla

Tesla will have its Model S at the show. It could also bring the Model X crossover to Detroit, but that hasn't been confirmed. The gull-winged SUV wasn't at the the 2014 show, but it was there in 2013.

any new teslas to be unveiled?
We *might* see the beta version Model X, but not likely as they don't have a press conference.
I've heard rumors of a new or redesigned Roadster.
That's not a rumor - but it's not a new car but rather an upgrade kit for the existing roadster.
See: Roadster 3.0

Jaeger

We *might* see the beta version Model X, but not likely as they don't have a press conference.

That's not a rumor - but it's not a new car but rather an upgrade kit for the existing roadster.
See: Roadster 3.0

Ford GT successor?! Fuck yes. And bummer, I was hoping for a new roadster. A kit sounds so boring. The old design is boring, too. I'm still waiting for Lincoln for showcase their coupe. It's been way too long of a wait.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
This is going to be one of the biggest auto shows in a long time. I'm super excited.

Mostly here for the NSX though.

A new Infiniti concept that isn't ugly as fuck is an early surprise though.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I must be one of the few metro Detroit kids who never went. Just not interested in cars like that.

Auto shows are also a place to examine production cars, not just concepts, without being hassled by a car salesman.

Jaeger

Auto shows are also a place to examine production cars, not just concepts, without being hassled by a car salesman.

That's a great analogy. I love it. I wish I could have gone this year. For sure, next year.

-

More pre-start day leaks;

2016 Lincoln MKX
Pretty much Lincoln's version of the Ford Edge. Quite attractive, if I say so myself.

Added info to the OP too.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
There are rumors Chevy will unveil a new EV called Bolt, which would offer a 200 mile range for $30k. Could be a game changer if they can manage it before Tesla gets Model 3 out the door.

lem0n

Theres supposed to be some sort of announcement by Microsoft, when Ford goes on stage... Im hoping its an announcement of Forza 6.

Abounder

Banned
The infiniti looks ok but it's overdesigned like the 370z. The previous models look cleaner, sleeker, and will age better than these GTR-derived designs

ascii42

That's a possibility. It won't be anything more than another refresh (if the spy photos are any indication). I don't think we will get a brand new one for another couple of years.

I thought the 2016 was going to the Alpha platform. So maybe the body will largely look the same, but everything underneath will be different.

That's a great analogy. I love it. I wish I could have gone this year. For sure, next year.

-

2016 Lincoln MKX

Pretty much Lincoln's version of the Ford Edge. Quite attractive, if I say so myself.

I really, really like the look of Lincolns, but unfortunately they're just upscale Fords unlike Cadillacs, which are their own line of vehicles.

Mr.Mike

I'm not a big car guy either, bit I still go every year with friends and enjoy it. I think what I get out of it is the enjoyment of seeing the "progress" by going every year. It's also when we go to Coney Island every year, which is great.

Mohonky

-

2016 Lincoln MKX

Thats attractive? I dont understand American car design, its so.......I dunno. The grilles, the lights....I mean when they showed off that Jeep thing with a million lights on the front, what were they thinking.

I like the Camaro and the Corvette but everything else is ghastly.

I'm already treading cautiously at the idea of this American built NSX...is it American designed as well?

ascii42

I really, really like the look of Lincolns, but unfortunately they're just upscale Fords unlike Cadillacs, which are their own line of vehicles.

Their price does reflect that at least. Last I looked, most Lincoln models were closer to Buick than Cadillac in price.

Jaeger

The infiniti looks ok but it's overdesigned like the 370z. The previous models look cleaner, sleeker, and will age better than these GTR-derived designs

I highly disagree[/B]. The G35/G37 design is extremely dated. And there is nothing "overdesigned" about that concept. In fact, most people agree it's a little late to the party. These current designs are actually bore from a concept back in 2009.

Infiniti-Essence.jpg

2009 Infiniti Essence Concept
The Q60 Concept will be a head turner (already is). There's no doubt about that.

I thought the 2016 was going to the Alpha platform. So maybe the body will largely look the same, but everything underneath will be different.

That may be the case. There are still underpinnings that will be shared between model years, however.

That's not true.

Thats attractive? I dont understand American car design, its so.......I dunno. The grilles, the lights....I mean when they showed off that Jeep thing with a million lights on the front, what were they thinking.

I like the Camaro and the Corvette but everything else is ghastly.

I'm already treading cautiously at the idea of this American built NSX...is it American designed as well?

What's ironic about this, is that the designers on these teams hail from all over. And Ford's current design language is incredibly European influenced.

Their price does reflect that at least. Last I looked, most Lincoln models were closer to Buick than Cadillac in price.

Good point. They're a little more expensive than Buick but still 10k+ under Cadillac. That said, their design language is a lot more attractive than Buick's. It'd be nice to see Ford try something a little more high-end, but I can understand them looking at the competition from Cadillac and the Germans and thinking "Nah, ain't worth it."

That's not true.

Has Lincoln started developing platforms solely for their cars yet? If they have I wasn't aware.

Mohonky

What's ironic about this, is that the designers on these teams hail from all over. And Ford's current design language is incredibly European influenced.

Thats true but they also still design to a market, so while some 'European' cues incorporated they are still designing a car for the American consumer and their sensibilities.

Yes. The nsx was designed, engineered and will be built in Ohio

Hrmmmmm.....will take a wait and see approach.

I don't think so either, but not all Cadillacs are unique. The XTS, SRX, and Escalade have equivalent Chevy models.

Oh okay I see what you mean. Yes I guess I mis-spoke. I was having a disagreement with someone the other day who said the new ATS was just a rebadged Cruze and I had to show him that it was a completely and totally different platform--I was still in that mindset.

Besides, Escalades are so fucking ridiculous that I prefer to not ever think of them. I work with a lot of GM folks and it's fun hearing them talk about it. "Sure, it's really nice on the inside but you'd have to be an idiot to pay the money we ask for one."

Mr.Mike

Thats true but they also still design to a market, so while some 'European' cues incorporated they are still designing a car for the American consumer and their sensibilities.

I think Ford's big thing right now is, "One Ford", simplifying their product lines so that they only have one lineup of cars for the entire world. It was something I recall them making a big deal of last year, and it certainly makes sense from a cost-cutting perspective.

So the Ford designs are meant to work in every market. For example, the new Ford Mondeo is now exactly the same as the Ford Fusion they sell in NA, and they now sell the C-max and Transit in NA.

Jaeger

Has Lincoln started developing platforms solely for their cars yet? If they have I wasn't aware.

Not that I am aware of, but as ascii42 pointed out as well, Cadillacs are not unique. They like everything else in the auto industry share parts between brands. Engines, Chassis, and everything in between. It is definitely an injustice to try and label it a simple badge swap. Because they are not. But everyone shares parts between cars. It's cost effective. You can get Ferrari engines in Maserati's. It's standard.

Hrmmmmm.....will take a wait and see approach.

Yup. We are a large importer of Euro models, too. Which is why you can go to Europe and buy a left hand drive car of almost any make and model. And I'm not sold on the NSX, at all. It looks way too tame, IMO. And they waited incredibly too long to get to this point. They have been showing off the same concept for like, half a decade or more.

Not that I am aware of, but as ascii42 pointed out as well, Cadillacs are not unique. They like everything else in the auto industry share parts between brands. Engines, Chassis, and everything in between.

Well yes, but going from a Malibu to a CTS you don't think "This is a Malibu with wood trim". I have a friend who bought a Fusion a few years back after looking at the equivalent Lincoln because the Lincoln was the same thing with only marginal upgrades to the interior.

That said, it looks like Cadillac's new CEO is going to pull Cadillac in the direction of it being an almost entirely separate brand. I'm sure there will still be parts sharing, especially in the power-train, but the goal is to break them away from the rest of GM in more significant ways.

ascii42

Oh okay I see what you mean. Yes I guess I mis-spoke. I was having a disagreement with someone the other day who said the new ATS was just a rebadged Cruze and I had to show him that it was a completely and totally different platform--I was still in that mindset.

Besides, Escalades are so fucking ridiculous that I prefer to not ever think of them. I work with a lot of GM folks and it's fun hearing them talk about it. "Sure, it's really nice on the inside but you'd have to be an idiot to pay the money we ask for one."

Haha, yeah. I can't imagine the profit margin on those things. I largely ignored the Escalade for a while, because although I like Cadillac, I'm more of a sedan person. When I finally got a chance to drive one, I got it. The Escalade is basically the modern version of their old flagship sedans. It's absurdly big, comfortable, and imposing. I got the same feeling inside as when I had my '86 Fleetwood Brougham. I have no real interest in owning an Escalade, but I did enjoy the experience.

Jaeger

Well yes, but going from a Malibu to a CTS you don't think "This is a Malibu with wood trim". I have a friend who bought a Fusion a few years back after looking at the equivalent Lincoln because the Lincoln was the same thing with only marginal upgrades to the interior.

That said, it looks like Cadillac's new CEO is going to pull Cadillac in the direction of it being an almost entirely separate brand. I'm sure there will still be parts sharing, especially in the power-train, but the goal is to break them away from the rest of GM in more significant ways.

Yea, I added in more to my response. They are definitely not simple badge reengineering. They are entirely different cars. I was just making not that there are only a small handful of specific cars that don't share parts with anything else. It's rare to find a car like that. But I'm a fan of Cadillac. Their last few concepts (the Elmiraj and Ciel) were incredible.

Abounder

Banned
I highly disagree[/B]. The G35/G37 design is extremely dated. And there is nothing "overdesigned" about that concept. In fact, most people agree it's a little late to the party. These current designs are actually bore from a concept back in 2009.

The Q60 Concept will be a head turner (already is). There's no doubt about that.

In my opinion the G35/350z look better than the G37/370z because they are much smoother designs. The Q60, like the current models, look too much like the GTR and will age poorly. I agree that it is in need of a new model though.

v1lla21

I went to the Silicon Valley Auto Show and there was a Q60S that looked a lot like the Q50. I tried looking for the model at the infiniti website but couldn't find it. This is how the Q60s looked:

infiniti-q60-coupe-rendered-coming-in-2016-54609-7.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's this year's model though.

ascii42

The vehicle I'm most interested in learning about is the new Volt. I may be looking to buy a new car this year, and it'll probably be between that and the Dodge Challenger, and maybe the new Camaro.

Mr.Mike

The vehicle I'm most interested in learning about is the new Volt. I may be looking to buy a new car this year, and it'll probably be between that and the Dodge Challenger, and maybe the new Camaro.

There's a (rumored?) car called the Bolt that supposed to be a lower-priced electric car. That's what I'm most excited about.

Jaeger

In my opinion the G35/350z look better than the G37/370z because they are much smoother designs. The Q60, like the current models, look too much like the GTR and will age poorly. I agree that it is in need of a new model though.

I don't see any correlation between the GT-R and this concept. They look nothing alike, even objectively.

I went to the Silicon Valley Auto Show and there was a Q60S that looked a lot like the Q50. I tried looking for the model at the infiniti website but couldn't find it. This is how the Q60s looked:

infiniti-q60-coupe-rendered-coming-in-2016-54609-7.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's this year's model though.

You just saw the renamed G37.

v1lla21

I don't see any correlation between the GT-R and this concept. They look nothing alike, even objectively.

You just saw the renamed G37.
Nice. The interior was really nice and comfortable. I didn't take any pictures of it since Audi was right next to Infiniti and I went over to take pictures of the v10 plus and the s3. I'd still end up choosing the Q50 over the Q60 as I don't like coupes that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom