• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NAIAS / Detroit Auto Show 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
kz99cy7sc55hfhqec76g.jpg

Is this production ready? If so these might be the coolest production lights I've seen in a long time.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The GT is doing nothing for me. It takes from so many European and/or boutique super cars that it's lost considerable personality for me. :|

There's parts of it I like (front fascia, B-pillar), but it's kind of a mess at first glance.

cajunator

Banned
The GT is doing nothing for me. It takes from so many European and/or boutique super cars that it's lost considerable personality for me. :|

There's parts of it I like (front fascia, B-pillar), but it's kind of a mess at first glance.

A lot of it is designed for modern aerodynamics. The parts look like they do because they work well. You see these parts in all the major marques.

Jaeger

Is this production ready? If so these might be the coolest production lights I've seen in a long time.

No way in hell is that production ready, but with headlight technology we have now Im sure a production version would have similar light design.

From what I'm hearing it just may be!

That is just where we are at in design. Everything is made in a wind tunnel via computers.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
After them finally showing the new Raptor I am thoroughly happy that my model is still the best looking one.

Last Great Raptor
2014 !!!!

belvedere

Junior Butler
That looks great. Can't wait to find out more!
Edit: Chevy has a site up for Bolt!
http://m.chevrolet.com/culture/article/bolt-ev-concept-car.html

Increased EV and gas ranges, and it no longer requires premium gas. If the price is right that could represent a significant reduction in cost of ownership!

It's Model 3. I have a feeling we won't see anything about it this week. If Tesla shows anything new it'll more likely be the production version on Model X.

Officially, it's III isn't it?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
A lot of it is designed for modern aerodynamics. The parts look like they do because they work well. You see these parts in all the major marques.
I mean, there is still much more variation and identity between, say, an Aventador, P1 and a LaFerrari even though they share similar design elements like the side scoop, channels to create downforce and cool brakes, underbody aerodynamics, etc. The new GT is a bit of a piecemeal affair.

I guess they retained enough important parts though, like the hood, the profile and the tail lights.

Any word on the height? For kicks.

cajunator

Banned
I mean, there is still much more variation and identity between, say, an Aventador, P1 and a LaFerrari even though they share similar design elements like the side scoop, channels to create downforce and cool brakes, underbody aerodynamics, etc.

I guess they retained enough important parts though, like the hood, the profile and the tail lights.

the Ferrari LaFerrari isnt an overly original design either. Ive seen these elements in hundreds of cars over the years but there are distinct similarities in all of them now. They all are moving to a central tub surrounded by pontoon fenders, like the Lemans LMP racers. LaFerrari is especially obvious when you open the doors and the bodywork all lifts away to reveal that central monocoque. Its just kind of the way car design is moving. Function over form. Back in the 90s, you saw much more distinctive designs that really expressed each marque and what they believed in. aerodynamics were still experimental and there were lots of ideas. You see much more angular air openings and movable flaps to control air movement over and around the car. I really like these complex designs and am really excited to see what companies come up with next.

Huh. Its unmistakably a GT but has lones from. 458, LaFerrari and Lambo. Interesting.

Even more interestly, not a V8?

while it looks hot the V6 is rather a disappointment.

give me V8 or give me death.

Looks like they're going with the V6 ecoboost because it's a much better fit LM GTE racing.

Edit: Also because V8s are quickly becoming dinosaurs, unfortunately. We're entering the era of boosted 4s and 6s.

Jaeger

while it looks hot the V6 is rather a disappointment.

give me V8 or give me death.

The days of V8 of nothin are long gone. There are fewer and fewer reasons to go with one now. This thing has over 600 hp. What's the problem again?

cajunator

Banned
modern supercars have better fuel fuel mileage than some passenger cars.
a V6 TT is a lot better received today than it would have been in the 90s.

cajunator

Banned
Also, Acura screwed up by not unveiling the production NSX before. No way in hell it can top this. Although we know what it looks like already. Again, you notice the flying buttresses and narrowing bodywork towards the rear. Get used to that look.

GutsOfThor

2016 Nissan Titan looks sexy! I plan on having my 2010 Frontier for quite some time but I am very tempted to get myself a Titan.

RoKKeR

God damn at the GT. So sexy. The European influence is maybe a tad bit over the top but otherwise it looks damn good.

No Focus RS though?? Ford pls

Best looking Ferrari not made in Maranello? The new Ford GT.

I like it overall, especially dat ass! It doesnt replace the original GT40 tho....something about that car is just timeless IMO.

Jaeger

Why is that?

Numerous reasons. All of them are good and good for the auto industry. One of the major factor is politics, which are forcing the car makers to get better fuel efficiency and power, and not one or the other. I mean, over 600 HP out of a V6? A production V6, no less? Superchargers, Turbos, and electric motors take engine developments well beyond their perceived limits. I love V8's, but it's not V8's or nothing for me, and certainly for not for the auto industry.

lem0n

While the GT has always had a mid mounted V8, dont fret; just remember how fucking awesome the XJ220 was. V6TT will be totally fine. Plus, itll sound fantastic.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
No way in hell is that production ready, but with headlight technology we have now Im sure a production version would have similar light design.
:

Actually, this is the production version of the Ford GT, believe it or not, which is why the press release mentions it has the most powerful production version of the Ecoboost V6

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...rd-redefines-innovation-with-gt-supercar.html

All-new Ford GT supercar sets new standards for Ford innovation through performance with advances in light-weighting, aerodynamics and ultra-efficient EcoBoost® engine
Ford GT features the most powerful EcoBoost production engine ever – a new twin-turbocharged Ford EcoBoost V6 producing more than 600 horsepower
Ultra-high-performance supercar is Ford’s most extreme offering, infused with race-proven technology engineered to keep company with exotics when it goes into production in 2016

Also

It my eyes, the GT reminds me most of a 2006 Ford GT combined with a 1971 Lamborghini Mura SV

94299.jpg

lamborghini-miura.jpg

007-ford-gt-1.jpg

In other words....hnnnnnggggg on wheels

cajunator

Banned
:

Actually, this is the production version of the Ford GT, believe it or not, which is why the press release mentions it has the most powerful production version of the Ecoboost V6

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...rd-redefines-innovation-with-gt-supercar.html

Also

It my eyes, the GT reminds me most of a 2006 Ford GT combined with a 19xx Lamborghini Mura SV

94299.jpg

lamborghini-miura.jpg

007-ford-gt-1.jpg

In other words....hnnnnnggggg on wheels

Yeah the Ford GT has always been inspired by Miura and other Italian sportscars. I think I see a bit of ATS 2500 gt in there as well. Just all around sexy efficient design.
Ive seen three Ford GT's in person before and each time it absolutely arrests your gaze. It is such a desperately gorgeous machine.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Numerous reasons. All of them are good and good for the auto industry. One of the major factor is politics, which are forcing the car makers to get better fuel efficiency and power, and not one or the other. I mean, over 600 HP out of a V6? A production V6, no less? Superchargers, Turbos, and electric motors take engine developments well beyond their perceived limits. I love V8's, but it's not V8's or nothing for me, and certainly for not for the auto industry.

Actually, you can waltz into a nissan dealership TODAY and pick up a GTR Nismo off the showroom floor....3.8L V6 600 BHP, 481 pound-feet of torque

http://www.nissanusa.com/sportscars/gt-r/nismo

Jaeger

ANd here is the NSX production version bringing up the rear.
Perhaps now its effect dramatically lessened but it is still a nice piece of kit.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/12/2016-acura-nsx-everything-there-is-to-know/

It's an fairly attractive design, Again, it's something we have seen numerous times. A few parts here and there were made production ready, of course. But almost line for line it's the same concept that has been hoarded to every auto show since 2012. But, after the Ford GT I don't think anything could surpass that hype.

Bravo, Ford.

There are still a few surprises to be had, I assure you. So I will stay tuned.

lem0n

Perhaps now its effect dramatically lessened but it is still a nice piece of kit.

I wonder how people would have reacted to the new NSX if we hadnt seen a concept like 2 years ago?

Also, after the GT itll be hard for me to get excited over much

Nice! My first car was a tiny Nissan truck handed down from my Uncle, but the first car that was properly mine was a 1985 300ZX, and I drive a 1983 280ZX Turbo now. It is in terrible shape and I'm too broke to do anything about it, but it is still fun to drive.
Same here, me and my dad are working on an old 85 300ZX. It's amazing how much technology those things had back in the 80's.

cajunator

Banned
I wonder how people would have reacted to the new NSX if we hadnt seen a concept like 2 years ago?

Also, after the GT itll be hard for me to get excited over much

Ive seen car design go about as radical as technology really allows it at this point in time. It will take a new leap in vehicle tech for something to be truly mind blowing. Perhaps production hubless wheels like the sbarro concepts or hovering. As gorgeous as this GT looks Ive seen all the elements as have most car enthusiasts who keep up with current design trends.
The NSX is elegant and sharp, as you would expect of an Acura. It works well for the brand and I like it a lot more than I did the first concepts. But remember, Acura has been throwing out ideas for a NSX successor since the 2002 D-NX
and then the more recent 2008 Honda HSC
then there was that front engined concept they actually took racing.

lem0n

Ive seen car design go about as radical as technology really allows it at this point in time. It will take a new leap in vehicle tech for something to be truly mind blowing. Perhaps production hubless wheels like the sbarro concepts or hovering. As gorgeous as this GT looks Ive seen all the elements as have most car enthusiasts who keep up with current design trends.
The NSX is elegant and sharp, as you would expect of an Acura. It works well for the brand and I like it a lot more than I did the first concepts. But remember, Acura has been throwing out ideas for a NSX successor since the 2002 D-NX and then the more recent 2008 Honda HSC
then there was that front engined concept they actually took racing.

The world needs more Sbarro concepts, what absolute mental looking things. Italdesign Guigiaro, as well. The GT blew my mind just an hour ago, I wish the NSX could have as well. Then again the NSX has never been about being extreme. I also cant believe its been so long since Honda showed the HSC..

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
NSX will have a NINE SPEED dual clutch transmission and "horsepower north of 550BHP"

As a point of reference:

Ferrari 458 Italia: 570 HP

Lamborghini Huracan 602 HP

McLaren 650S: 641 HP

Audi R8 V10 Plus: 550 HP

Ford GT: 600+ HP

cajunator

Banned
The world needs more Sbarro concepts, what absolute mental looking things. Italdesign Guigiaro, as well. The GT blew my mind just an hour ago, I wish the NSX could have as well. Then again the NSX has never been about being extreme. I also cant believe its been so long since Honda showed the HSC..

Yes.

Also recently, a longtime coachbuilding firm called Faralli and Mazzanti unveiled a car that looks rather wild. Though compared to super aerodynamic alien machines like Laferrari and the new GT, its pretty tame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom