• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NAIAS / Detroit Auto Show 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the NSX far more than the GT.

Plus the tech is supposed to match whatever they're doing for their reentry into Formula One. You know it's going to be good.

The original NSX had the Ayrton Senna seal of approval so it has that pedigree.

cajunator

Banned
The new GT engine is based on the existing racing ecoboost v6 found in their Daytona racer. It will be a beast but an efficient one.

There's This... thing
2016-Chevrolet-Volt-37.jpg

yuck....VW has been kinda going off the deep end in terms of design lately. Except for the new golf, which looks pretty great.

Still waiting to see if the rumor about VW revisiting the Phaeton is true....

I like the NSX far more than the GT.

Plus the tech is supposed to match whatever they're doing for their reentry into Formula One. You know it's going to be good.

The original NSX had the Ayrton Senna seal of approval so it has that pedigree.

Manufacturers have been spouting this BS for years. Yes, some of the tech might be trickled down from F1 but F1 and consumer cars are always going to be galaxies apart.

mreddie

GT and RAPTOR stole the show, NSX feels like we knew about for awhile, looks good and basically close to the last concept.

DEO3

The new GT looks like an ugly mess to me, surprised to see so many people going gaga over it. But then again, I don't really like the look of pretty much any car designed recently, I guess I've just become a grumpy old man.

Jaeger

The GT doesn't do anything for me. In spirit, i don't think it deserves the GT40 nameplate. I could See GT45 or something.
[/SPOILER]

That's good you feel that way because this isn't a GT40. It's the GT. Two distinct nameplates. What's the problem?

D

Deleted member 309291

Unconfirmed Member
I was hoping for more info on the Supra, but oh well... I guess the Ford GT reveal (which I didn't know about) is a good enough replacement.

There's something off about the new NSX even though I love it. I'm not one for complaining about cars getting fatter and fatter, but I think in the NSX's case it makes it look a little bit sedan-ish?

Jaeger

I was hoping for more info on the Supra, but oh well... I guess the Ford GT reveal (which I didn't know about) is a good enough replacement.

There's something off about the new NSX even though I love it. I'm not one for complaining about cars getting fatter and fatter, but I think in the NSX's case it makes it look a little bit sedan-ish?

Honestly I'm not a fan of the NSX's design either. I think the previous project that was formerly the NSX (which became the Honda HSV) looked better.

Jaeger

I still hate the back though.

That's what it is. The back. It's such an abrupt, stumpy looking design that doesn't flow at all with the rest of the details, or the shape of the car. And a whole, the car looks too reserved. I don't think they took enough chances with the design.

Glasshole

Banned
1.) Love the NSX. Never even seen an Acura IRL (europe... And okay, yeah, I have), but yeah, looks insane.

2.) Love the front end of the Ford GT, but absolutely hate the side tunnels, those downforce creating beasts. Sure, I understand what they're there for, but damnit if it doesn't make the rear half of the car look busy as hell, and frankly, like a transformer. I'm just missing the heritage in there.

seanoff

I'll just leave this here for those that are unaware of the performance of the previous GT and somehow this one won't measure up to modern supercar standards...

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0410_exotic_coupe_comparison/

Also Top Gear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UAnlMNvK8Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVeGuCs1R4c

Also, a history lesson on the original GT, the GT40: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykoUocmTe24

Lovely concept, nice to look at great specs.

Shithouse, totally awful, brand damaging execution.

It was a pile of shit. They were broken from the start. clarkson got one, gave it back iirc. Re-purchased it and sold it. Calling it the most unreliable car ever made. He was far from alone. Look it up. It had some serious, dangerous, problems.

Lets hope the next one is better. Not difficult.

Jaeger

It was a pile of shit. They were broken from the start. clarkson got one, gave it back iirc. Re-purchased it and sold it. Calling it the most unreliable car ever made. He was far from alone. Look it up. It had some serious, dangerous, problems.

Most cars have QC issues. Some more serious than others. The car (when working) still performed amazingly. And it did it's job as the brand's Halo car.

seanoff

Most cars have QC issues. Some more serious than others. The car (when working) still performed amazingly. And it did it's job as the brand's Halo car.

The problem was it almost never worked. And when it did, it was in very very short bursts.

Supercars can be skittish, but this was beyond the norm by some way. clarkson never made a return journey.

Jaeger

The problem was it almost never worked. And when it did, it was in very very short bursts.

Supercars can be skittish, but this was beyond the norm by some way. clarkson never made a return journey.

I'm sure they won't be repeating those same mistakes. I have not heard anything in terms of horrible issues and QC lately with their performance models.

ascii42

Wasn't it the security system his insurance made him install that gave him fits? I recall a story where they called to inform him that his car had been stolen...while he was driving it.

cajunator

Banned

Clarksons car had an aftermarket alarm system that kept going off. Thats the main problem.
it also had some sort of fuel system related defect that was quickly rectified. Not a really dangerous car. You see ferraris and lamborghinis catching fire all the time but not Ford GTs.

Jaeger

Clarksons car had an aftermarket alarm system that kept going off. Thats the main problem.
it also had some sort of fuel system related defect that was quickly rectified. Not a really dangerous car. You see ferraris and lamborghinis catching fire all the time but not Ford GTs.

Exactly. They are not worse than any other supercar out there. In fact, I don't recall seeing any GT's burned to a crisp on the sides of the road.

seanoff

And the suspension control arms that were cracked and required replacement, and the transmissions that needed replacement, and the climate control, and the electrical system randomly draining the battery etc etc etc. These were widespread problems, not just one or 2 cars.

Great to look at, not so great to own.

I really hope the new ones are better, i like the look of the GTs.

cajunator

Banned
And the suspension control arms that were cracked and required replacement, and the transmissions that needed replacement, and the climate control, and the electrical system randomly draining the battery etc etc etc. These were widespread problems, not just one or 2 cars.

These are issues with all supercars. Supercars are notorious for finicky problems due to their high performance and delicate setups. Lots can go wrong.
Heres one from the 918! http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/09/1...ar-for-suspension-problem.html?referrer=&_r=0

Mohonky

These are issues with all supercars. Supercars are notorious for finicky problems due to their high performance and delicate setups. Lots can go wrong.
Heres one from the 918! http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/09/1...ar-for-suspension-problem.html?referrer=&_r=0

I like the Porsche reps quote. A problem with a control arm link could cause the car to be 'difficult' to drive. If the arm that keeps the wheels upright fails and the wheel goes horizontal, I would imagine that may cause the handling to be a little more than difficult, I would think a better term might be 'catastrophic'

paskowitz

Not saying those problems didn't happen (they did), but the majority of GT owners didn't experience any "critical" part breakdowns. Obviously, those who did were very vocal.

TCRS

Banned
less garish pictures of the new Q7:

01-2016-audi-q7-detroit-1.jpg

11-2016-audi-q7-detroit-1.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/13/2016-audi-q7-detroit-2015/

still not sold on the design tbh. it's just too much 'in your face' and very un-audi-like which used to be elegant and teutonic. this looks like such a try-hard especially compared to the new XC90 which looks so fine and elegant.

love the new 4-spoked steering wheel though, the old one was a little fat. but at least Audi is still making them unlike many other manufacturers.

tbm24

That grill is massive. I don't understand Audi when it comes to their SUVs. They just make everything bigger seemingly for the sake of it. I'd rather see what becomes out of the Touareg.

I had to sit back and absorb the looks of the Ford GT as I normally prefer more conservative styling in cars (relative to market class/category) but, yeah I am really liking it. The presense of the Ecoboost V6 brand in the GT has various reasons but no doubt salespeople will link the commonality of the engine brand between more pedestrian cars and trucks and the GT.

NSX looks good, busy front end. Impact lessened by the long gestation and expected styling, never mind the GT stomping in to the show.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

01-2016-audi-q7-detroit-1.jpg

11-2016-audi-q7-detroit-1.jpg

still not sold on the design tbh. it's just too much 'in your face' and very un-audi-like which used to be elegant and teutonic. this looks like such a try-hard especially compared to the new XC90 which looks so fine and elegant.

love the new 4-spoked steering wheel though, the old one was a little fat. but at least Audi is still making them unlike many other manufacturers.

The exciting thing about the Q7 is that it's apparently going to be available as a plug-in diesel hybrid.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
There are not enough HNNNNGGGGs in the world to describe just how amazing the Ford GT looks in throwback Gulf Livery:

landscape_nrm_1421161181-fordgtgulf_cdauto_11315_1_copy.jpg

gallery_nrm_1421161315-fordgtgulf_cdauto_11315_2_copy.jpg

gallery_nrm_1421161393-fordgtgulf_cdauto_11315_3_copy.jpg

OT: I am almost certainly leasing my wife a Q7 E-tron diesel next year :)

cajunator

Banned
It looks so much like cars I have drawn before in my spare time. Lemans LMP inspired and in my favorite shade of blue on top of that. This is honestly my new dream car.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I don't know about that, however there's a guy in an office next to ours who uses his as a daily driver.

Halvie

Banned

They have been on a pretty steep downward design slope for a long time now.

tbm24

OMFG @ this video of the Ford GT driving around on the show floor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPJ7WZoV4xA

In my eyes, this is the best design Ford has ever done in their long history.....an absolute masterpiece.

It is also the most exciting production Exotic Car design I have seen in decades......its is a show stopper!

After that video, my god this car. I can't think of a current supercar that looks even remotely better.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
The Ford gt was designed by Moray Callum.

If that last name sounds familiar, it's because he is the brother of Ian Callum, designer of all modern Aston Martin and Jaguar cars

Lexus is entering the midsize sedan performance segment this year with the GSF.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/13/2015-lexus-gs-f-detroit-2015/

01-2016-lexus-gs-f-detroit-1.jpg

467 hp natural aspirated v8 and 4,034 pounds are the numbers I can find so far.

Think their funky corporate grill is growing on me... a little.

The front end looks fine, but it looks like it was bolted on to an entirely different car than the one it started on. It's a production ricer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom