• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NAIAS / Detroit Auto Show 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
NSX will have a NINE SPEED dual clutch transmission and "horsepower north of 550BHP"

As a point of reference:

Ferrari 458 Italia: 570 HP

Lamborghini Huracan 602 HP

McLaren 650S: 641 HP

Audi R8 V10 Plus: 550 HP

Ford GT: 600+ HP

New Z06 Vette is pushing 625+ horsepower and 635+ pound feet of torque. Good luck.

lem0n

Yes.

Also recently, a longtime coachbuilding firm called Faralli and Mazzanti unveiled a car that looks rather wild. Though compared to super aerodynamic alien machines like Laferrari and the new GT, its pretty tame.
Im still not sure what I think of the Evantra... The suicide butterfly doors are awesome, but i generally dont like bespoke supercars that choose to use a GM LSx motor. I understand the reasoning completely, but it throws me off instantly. Styling is a bit odd, too. For bespoke supercars, Spyker got it right with the Laviolette

The GT will out-run it on a track, watch. Probably as light, and by the look of it, will have much more downforce.
Wanna bet on it? :)

GM's Magnetic Ride is seriously nothing to mess with. The last model Z06, for example, put up 7:22 on the Nurburgring (the ZR1 [638 hp, 604 lb-ft torque] put up 7:19) whereas the Ford GT put up 7:40. That's a huge difference.

Corgi

Banned
seeing a lot of shit talking on car sites/blogs about NSX on 'ford gt day'. 2 different approaches with barely any numbers out about nsx.

internet.

I've been reading rumors of a Nissan Z redesign to make it lighter and more in line with the old 240Zs for a few years now. I get my hopes up for every car show that maybe I'll see something, and I always leave disappointed. It is The Last Guardian of cars for me.

Sad, but true. :|

lem0n

Wanna bet on it? :)

GM's Magnetic Ride is seriously nothing to mess with. The last model Z06, for example, put up 7:22 on the Nurburgring (the ZR1 [638 hp, 604 lb-ft torque] put up 7:19) whereas the Ford GT put up 7:40. That's a huge difference.

I misread your post earlier(thought you meant the Z06 would be faster than the new GT because of its power advantage), but hell yeah im down for a friendly bet :)

Yeah thats a large difference in time for sure. The new GT looks like itll stick to the road a lot better now, and have more power, so im very curious to see what happens..

Jaeger

I'd take the GT over it any day. Rarer, and IMO a better looking car. Besides that, they aren't really direct competitors (although that damn Corvette price gets higher and higher each gen). The GT will always be a 6 figure car, with no "entry" model to speak of, unlike the Vette.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I want that new Chevy Volt! They improved on everything from gen 1 outside of maybe exterior styling.

Also, the new Ford GT and the NSX look hot.

Bsigg12

I really just want to get into the 2017 Ford Raptor, turn on Baja mode and floor it. All sportscars look great but in reality I would actually buy the new Raptor.

Jaeger

It's still suffering from EV/Prius curse, and is a rather pudgy stubby little thing. They need to make it more attractive with more traditional sedan styling to get my dollars.

It does look better, though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's still suffering from EV/Prius curse, and is a rather pudgy stubby little thing. They need to make it more attractive with more traditional sedan styling to get my dollars.

Traditional sedan styling? They pretty much made it a Civic :p

I liked the sharper design a lot more TBH.

Jaeger

Traditional sedan styling? They pretty much made it a Civic :p

I liked the sharper design a lot more TBH.

Haha. Well, I mean like what Tesla did with the Model S. Something that looks more elegant, I'd say. I know the smaller size is for weight mostly, but I think the idea/design could be taken further.

Toki767

I'm waiting to see how the 2016 Prius looks. Supposedly they made it look more sporty, although I can't imagine how.

Corgi

Banned
if toyota's idea of sporty is what the corolla and camry currently looks like... the prius is gonna look... special.

Toki767

if toyota's idea of sporty is what the corolla and camry currently looks like... the prius is gonna look... special.

Yeah, the new Corolla looks pretty damn ugly from the front. I was looking at a Prius for my next car, so I'm interested to see what the latest design ends up looking like.

cajunator

Banned
Ford GT will have to be pretty incredible performer because not only does it have to contend with the 627 bhp Z06 blue devil, the next Vette is going to be MID ENGINED.

cajunator

Banned
Hyundai unveiled a truck
9mlL2fp.jpg

BWJinxing

The GT doesn't do anything for me. In spirit, i don't think it deserves the GT40 nameplate. I could See GT45 or something.

Rant about GT40:
From the side its pretty generic, and the lambo doors, its meh. Im seein noble and Ferrari mostly The EcoBoost V6, its just another boosted motor. The GT500 is getting a high revving V8, that would fit the soul of this car imo. I like turbos and superchargers, i'm not hating on boost for the record, the 2nd gen GT40 was supercharged. But this car doesn't strike an iconic note like the first and second gen has for myself.

I do hope it looks better in real life setting, but i do hope it sells. I am happy its getting produced but its not screaming "want" to myself, like the last gen.

I was hoping ford would break silence about the Focus RS but the GT totally caught me off guard. Aside, i can help but to think of the Titan XD and smirk, at the xD.

cajunator

Banned
The GT doesn't do anything for me. In spirit, i don't think it deserves the GT40 nameplate. I could See GT45 or something.

Rant about GT40:
From the side its pretty generic, and the lambo doors, its meh. Im seein noble and Ferrari mostly The EcoBoost V6, its just another boosted motor. The GT500 is getting a high revving V8, that would fit the soul of this car imo. I like turbos and superchargers, i'm not hating on boost for the record, the 2nd gen GT40 was supercharged. But this car doesn't strike an iconic note like the first and second gen has for myself.

I do hope it looks better in real life setting, but i do hope it sells. I am happy its getting produced but its not screaming "want" to myself, like the last gen.

I was hoping ford would break silence about the Focus RS but the GT totally caught me off guard. Aside, i can help but to think of the Titan XD and smirk, at the xD.

Those arent lambo scissor doors they are basically butterfly doors without the roof part.
As for the engine and look of this car, its aiming for a much higher target and a clientele used to certain characteristics in a hypercar. This has to go against 650S, Huracan, and 458 Italia. It has to be positively manic. The goalposts have moved.

2Crisis

Definitely sold on the 2016 tacoma now with the powertrain upgrades. I could give or take the interior upgrades, but it badly needed a better engine.

hope it goes on sale before the end of the year.

paskowitz

Reasons the new Ford GT is the way it is:

1. V6? WTF!
Reason:
ACO (Le Mans) and IMSA (Tudor United Sportscar Championship) regulations state engine size for GTLM (class the new GT would compete in) must be no larger than 4.0L. Ford does not make any small displacement V8 and a V6 is a far better option (size, weight, efficiency, etc) for competitive racing. While it is possible to apply for an exemption to this rule, smaller engines are the way of the future for road and race cars alike.

In addition, Ford did not build this car just so it can look all pretty in somebody's garage... no... this car is going racing and was built with that purpose in mind. And that is exactly what the Ford GT has ALWAYS been about.

Finally, and begrudging to most (myself included if I am to be honest), this is a marketing decision. Ford has to sell EcoBoost to the masses and this is the most logical way to do it. With that said, I would have loved to seen a boosted version of the GT350 engine.

2. Paddle shifters
Reason:
This is a little more questionable in my book but the reasoning is simple. This car is supposed to be world beating. The standard of the world is paddle shift DCTs. Also, the tech in this car will likely be quite advanced (Ford or not) that putting a manual in this car would likely hinder it's potential performance. With that said, I will not be pleased when the Mustang goes paddle only.

3. Kinda crazy looks (lots of big gaps and vents and such)
Reason:
Again, because race car. It is not a coincidence the GT looks the way it does. The entire rear section is meant to do 2 things, create downforce (negative lift... IE the opposite of a plane) and draw air away from the engine.

Compare to a Le Mans Prototype 1 car (Toyota TS040):

cajunator

Banned
Reasons the new Ford GT is the way it is:

1. V6? WTF!
Reason:
ACO (Le Mans) and IMSA (Tudor United Sportscar Championship) regulations state engine size for GTLM (class the new GT would compete in) must be no larger than 4.0L. Ford does not make any small displacement V8 and a V6 is a far better option (size, weight, efficiency, etc) for competitive racing. While it is possible to apply for an exemption to this rule, smaller engines are the way of the future for road and race cars alike.

In addition, Ford did not build this car just so it can look all pretty in somebody's garage... no... this car is going racing and was built with that purpose in mind. And that is exactly what the Ford GT has ALWAYS been about.

Finally, and begrudging to most (myself included if I am to be honest), this is a marketing decision. Ford has to sell EcoBoost to the masses and this is the most logical way to do it. With that said, I would have loved to seen a boosted version of the GT350 engine.

2. Paddle shifters
Reason:
This is a little more questionable in my book but the reasoning is simple. This car is supposed to be world beating. The standard of the world is paddle shift DCTs. Also, the tech in this car will likely be quite advanced (Ford or not) that putting a manual in this car would likely hinder it's potential performance. With that said, I will not be pleased when the Mustang goes paddle only.

3. Kinda crazy looks (lots of big gaps and vents and such)
Reason:
Again, because race car. It is not a coincidence the GT looks the way it does. The entire rear section is meant to do 2 things, create downforce (negative lift... IE the opposite of a plane) and draw air away from the engine.

Compare to a Le Mans Prototype 1 car (Toyota TS040):

Exactly what I was talking about previously with pontoon fender design. This car is nearly LeMans ready. Its going to be so sick on the track.

BWJinxing

Those arent lambo scissor doors they are basically butterfly doors without the roof part.
As for the engine and look of this car, its aiming for a much higher target and a clientele used to certain characteristics in a hypercar. This has to go against 650S, Huracan, and 458 Italia. It has to be positively manic. The goalposts have moved.

The 458: flat plane V8, like the upcoming GT350 ( Sorry, i confused the models. the GT500 gets a supercharged V8 )
The 650S: twin turbo V8
The Huracan: V10
The Pagani Huayra: Twin Turbo V12
The Lexus LFA: V10

The GT40: Twin Turbo V6
The NSX: Twin Turbo V6

The goal post has moved yes, but not so much because of the buyer taste. You have environmental concerns to factor in. Most of the people who buy these cars will be looking at power numbers and prestige.

If i had supercar money, id be looking at something with an exotic powertrain, Ive never to this day driven a Supercharged V8, Twin Turbo V8, V10, or V12. Caddy, lesser Fords, BMW, Merc will sell you a twin boosted 6 cyl for much less cash, as will Porsche for a little less. ( Assuming the goal is 150k for the new GT ).

So hopefully it will drive on rails compared to the other offerings, which still is offering levels of engineering that will surpass the GT. But one thing going for the GT will likely be reliability.

The doors, much like myself, most people will call them lambo doors, thats just how they look when open. To myself, it just feels like its been done.

tbm24

The two massive exhausts on the back of the new GT are making me feel all sorts of ways while at work that I probably shouldn't be feeling. I really want to hear it rev.

I'd be surprised if the GT350R came with that front splitter. That thing would be ruined driving 1-2 weeks here in NYC.

Mistel

Banned
I'd be surprised if the GT350R came with that front splitter. That thing would be ruined driving 1-2 weeks here in NYC.
Well going by the write up on Ford racing. It's designed as a limited production race ready Mustang not really a more street orientated car like the regular GT350. Although there's options for comfort to add back in stuff they took out to save weight in the first place.

tbm24

Well going by the write up on Ford racing. It's designed as a limited production race ready Mustang not really a more street orientated car like the regular GT350. Although there's options for comfort to add back in stuff they took out to save weight in the first place.

Oh ok, I see what kind of car it is. Aside the splitter, I can easily see that just being a Mustang they sell in a showroom with fun bits on it. Looks quite good.

Mistel

Banned
Oh ok, I see what kind of car it is. Aside the splitter, I can easily see that just being a Mustang they sell in a showroom with fun bits on it. Looks quite good.
I assume as they work out the kinks and the current platform progresses much of the stuff that's in the higher performance G350R will work it's way to other Mustangs. Not necessarily as extreme with for example the spoiler and rear wing along with the gutted interior that are definitely more track and race oriented but some of the general aerodynamics stuff and performance things.

Least I'd hope so would be a shame to squalor development of the new platform to just limited run stuff, when you could use it across the platform like maybe on King Cobra drag pack cars or just plain old Mustangs probably.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
No new Camaro?

When are we supposed to see it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom