• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Name a game you like in a genre you don't like.

Jackano

BeetleMania Adventure Racing
6010-196751_41783.jpg

Reading this thread, it is kind of sad that so many do not even know what an rts and what turn-based strategy games are and how they differ. Oh well, sign of the times, I guess.

Personally, there's hardly a sports game I ever enjoyed. The endless repetition of the same thing without any change in terms of level design isn't doing it for me. Never liked FIFA or other sports games.

However, I played the career mode of virtua tennis 2 on my ps2 to death. And also a tennis game on the snes, jimmy connor's pro tennis tour. There's something about this sport in video games I really enjoy. Maybe because I like arkanoid or something.

A new good tennis game on steam, developed by sega, would be a dream.

Serious Sam (First/Second/Next Encounter) are dumb, mindless arcade fun and boils FPS down to the basics (just keep fucking shooting and don't ever stop).

eXistor

Nintendo World Cup will remain the only sports game I've truly enjoyed in my life. I also don't care much for racing games, but Sega Rally on Saturn was my shit. Same with F-Zero GX.

I always hated RTS gameplay/control wise and now i only play DOTA which isn't a RTS per se but it has quite a few similarities.

I don't like FPS games and I'm pretty awful at them overall. I get disoriented easily and I just really don't like the mechanic of aiming at things and shooting with the trigger or mouse button. Despite this I've still put well over 100 hours into the Halo series.

This describes me as well. I stayed away from the series for so long because I don't enjoy shooters (mostly because I suck at them). Then my nephew loaned me Halo Anniversary and I loved it. I downloaded Halo 3 when it was free and enjoyed it as well.

Then I borrowed the new Killzone and couldn't get past the first wave of enemies. Oh well.

Uhh, I guess Burnout and F-Zero for racing games. I suppose much of my dislike of the racing genre comes from what I perceive to be the ubiquity realistic driving simulators, which frankly, I just can't find fun at all.

mtodavk

I'm not really a huge fan of shmups, but I'll be damned if I didn't love every minute of getting the Resogun platinum trophy when I got my ps4.

jacobeid

Banned
I generally don't enjoy FPS, especially multiplayer FPS, but I had a ton of fun during the Titanfall beta on PC. Like, too much fun.

Then I had shoulder surgery the day before release and was in a sling for a month (just off yesterday), so I was stuck to playing console games all month.

Edit: I'm not big on racing games, but I played soooooooooo much Forza Horizon.

I've liked every Mario sports game I've played, despite having little interest in sports or other sports games.

The Doom series and Bioshock Infinite are the only FPS games I like.

Warcraft III in RTS. Maybe I like the genre but I don't like learning everything again everytime I try a new game.

Damn, I thought I was going to be a snowflake!

I loved Warcraft II and only got to play III a little bit. But I never really could get into any other RTS games. I think the first one that comes out for VR where I can look down and lord over my minions will be the first to hook me. I like the gameplay mechanics for the most part (micromanaging and such) but most of the ones out now that I have tried are just way too complicated and I gave up on the genre years ago.

C&C Generals - RTS Genre
NfS: Underground 1 & 2 - Racing games

Actually i thinking i love the mmo genre, but every game besides WoW and the first few month of SWTOR felt pretty boring after a few hours

Top Bottom