• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Name a game you like in a genre you don't like.

dab0ne

Fight Night in Sports category

Mystic Quest in Turn based JRPG (probably wouldn't like it today but it was the only JRPG i've ever beaten)

Burnout in Racing category

ChuyMasta

Smash bros, fighting game. Though after learning dome technical terms from that game, I fared fairly well in other fighting games such as tekken or King of Fighters.

Virtua Fighter. I dislike most fighters with their super/ultra meters and impossible fantasy figthing styles, but I find VF far more grounded and actually feels more like martial arts.

Tanaka

Euro Truck Simulator 2. I normally don't find sims or driving games all that enjoyable, but for whatever reason, I really enjoy it. It's just nice and relaxing.

First person shooter: Left 4 Dead 1/2.
Third person shooter: Vanquish (also the Cybertron games but mostly because of being a huge TF fan).
Sports games: NBA Jam, Wii Sports.
Driving games: Mario Kart and similar games (Sonic Transformed, for example) and Wipeout (especially 2097).

I pretty much like all other genres, so...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I don't like RTS games at all, but had some good fun playing Total Annihilation with friends in college.

While FPS games aren't something I play very much anymore due to their ubiquity crossed with their lack of innovation, I do have some fantastic memories of DOOM 1 and 2, and Unreal Tournament. Half Life 2 Episode 2 was pretty good too...

Rhythm games aren't usually my thing but I enjoyed Theatrhythm (for obvious reasons), DJ Hero 2 (for even more obvious reasons), and the Project Diva series (for yet more obvious reasons).

Vanille

Red Dead Redemption is the only traditional open world game I've managed to play through to completion, so I guess that counts.

Lernaean

Banned
I like all mainline Mario games because they are so polished and full of content. They are perfect games imo, all of them and the latest is always better than the one before it.
I don't like platformers and for what is worth i don't like Mario.
Also DKCTF is also awesome to me.
Seems like a good game will be good no matter the genre, idk.

NYCrooner

Red Dead Redemption is the only traditional open world game I've managed to play through to completion, so I guess that counts.

This. I don't really hate the genre but it bores me to tears after a while. RDR was just amazing to put down. Lego City Undercover to a lesser extent.

Schlomo

Jamestown, 2D shoot'em ups.

I do like the idea of this genre, but normally I don't have the patience to try a level 100 times until I beat it. Jamestown is very gentle in that regard, but still forcing you to raise the difficulty level gradually in order to see new levels.

Majukun

deus ex human revolution

i usually don't like stealth..even supposed masterpieces like MGS managed to make me like stealth mechanics.

I played all Deus ex in stealth mode and enjoyed every minute of it.

I don't particularly care much for most RPGs, but Final Fantasy X is one of my all-time favorite games. I also plunked hours upon hours into the Bioshock games despite not being a big FPS fan either.

jRPG isn't a genre, it's a regional term.

genre: a category of artistic composition, as in music or literature, characterized by similarities in form, style, or subject matter.

I agree that the 'J' in JRPG literally describes a region on Earth, but there are certain connotations and cultural nuances (of a Japanese nature) associated with the classification JRPG.

Would you say traditional "folk" music is not a valid genre/style/classification? Folk music is certainly quite different depending on the region the music originates from.

I just do not think you can write it off so quickly. I think arguments can be made on both sides.

Don't like third person shooters, but I love Gunvalkyrie. I liked it because it was about movement more than aiming, and felt like you were controlling a real character instead of a just a targeting reticule.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Saints Row: The Third.

I usually don't like GTA-style games but this game was fucking amazing.

GooeyHeat

NBA Street Vol. 2

Sports games are usually a turn off but this is an amazing game in its own right
And that's the gospel truth.

I'd say Doom 1 and 2 in terms of single-player modes in first-person shooters, but that's just because literally every single one after them isn't as good.

Saint's Row 3, but I see I'm beaten.

NBA Jam in sports. Usually not my thing but for some reason Jam holds a special place in my heart.

Hack and Slash:

DmC: Devil May Cry

I initially hated it and sucked. It takes time to get the feel of using the weapons altogether, but now I'm hooked.

antibolo

Banned
I couldn't care less about western RPGs, yet Planescape Torment is one of my favorite games ever.

I like to think that it's a point and click adventure game that was made in the Baldur's Gate engine by mistake.

jackal27

Banned
Dragon's Dogma and Sleeping Dogs in the open world genre. I can't stand that genre, but these games had enough polish and variety that they just sucked me in. They are clunky in some areas, but not where it counts for me.

(thanks GAF)

Also, NFL Blitz and NBA Jam in the sports genre.

coldone

I suck in open world games. I tried AC 1/2, GTA etc and felt they drag too much.

Then came Infamous and I have finished all three and Second Son will be first PS4 platinum.

Top Bottom