• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Name a good game with "bad" gameplay

Dahbomb said:
You were disappointed that ME went from being a mediocre game to a decent game?

I am so confused right now...

Also I want to know why, just not "ME1 > ME2" or whatever. That is totally not helpful.

I was disappointed because Bioware decided that fixing most of the first game's problems was too hard and decided to scrap lots of stuff that had a lot of potential.

Regardless, ME2 was still a better game because of the few things they actually made decent(shooting, classes, weapon variety).

DaBuddaDa

Dahbomb said:
What is GAF's consensus on ME1 vs ME2? I have played both games without ever listening to a GAF comment around here so I am curious to know what the majority think (and the vocal minority too).
Majority opinion: Mass Effect 2 fucking kicks ass and is fantastic to play in spite of its stripped down RPG elements.

Vocal minority: Mass Effect 2 is a shitty game compared to the first and isn't even an RPG anymore because there are no bars to fill.

Non-vocal minority: Mass Effect 2 is a decent game but I hope they add in some more RPG elements to the third one because it was a bit disappointing they were missing from 2.

Or, go read the ME2 OT.

Big One

Banned
I knew this thread would be full of adventure games. Why do people insist on criticizing games that aren't meant to have gameplay?

Niblet

It baffles me that people defend games with bad gameplay and wave them around as good games. I'll take what is considered the best written game of all time, Planescape Torment (I haven't played it yet, but I'm going to so this is all going by what I've read). It's battle system is antiquated and bad. I don't think I've read someone post of their enjoyment of the combat. It is always about the narrative. Taking this into consideration, I reason that those who play Torment are actually playing an interactive narrative. In fact the developers made it deliberately possible for you to skip almost every single combat scenario in the game via dialogue, which was a good game design decision. So does Torment have good gameplay? Yes, because it's narrative is the best and more importantly the game is designed to accommodate dialogue-only gameplay which is the vehicle to enjoy said narrative.

Recently a game people gave some recognition for redeeming narrative was Nier. That game was shit. I never got to experience this great narrative gaffers were talking about because I don't have a tolerance for playing shit. A potentially* redeeming narrative isn't enough because the game doesn't facilitate your experiencing of the narrative.

What I'm saying is that a good game ideally includes a complete package. A good narrative, voice acting, animation, art direction, graphics (not every genre needs each of these elements) are all things I'd want in a good game worthy of purchase. But what is NEEDED above all else is good gameplay. I PLAY games. I have a distinct taste in games and media consumption.

Grand Theft Auto IV if you have the patience for it.

Elder Scrolls Oblivion's combat is also pretty lame, but it's still a fun game held up by its world.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
I don't understand this thread...it is a matter of opinion. :lol

Might as well change the thread of this title to "Games you don't like!"

Gameplay is more than just controls and how intuitive they are. I am having a hear time thinking of a game that has bad "gameplay" and not just poor controls...old Silent Hill and RE because the movement controls really hinder the combat, causing frustration. That is all I got.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Niblet said:
It baffles me that people defend games with bad gameplay and wave them around as good games. I'll take what is considered the best written game of all time, Planescape Torment (I haven't played it yet, but I'm going to so this is all going by what I've read). It's battle system is antiquated and bad. I don't think I've read someone post of their enjoyment of the combat. It is always about the narrative. Taking this into consideration, I reason that those who play Torment are actually playing an interactive narrative. In fact the developers made it deliberately possible for you to skip almost every single combat scenario in the game via dialogue, which was a good game design decision. So does Torment have good gameplay? Yes, because it's narrative is the best and more importantly the game is designed to accommodate dialogue-only gameplay which is the vehicle to enjoy said narrative.

Recently a game people gave some recognition for redeeming narrative was Nier. That game was shit. I never got to experience this great narrative gaffers were talking about because I don't have a tolerance for playing shit. A potentially* redeeming narrative isn't enough because the game doesn't facilitate your experiencing of the narrative.

What I'm saying is that a good game ideally includes a complete package. A good narrative, voice acting, animation, art direction, graphics are all things I'd want in a good game worthy of purchase. But what is NEEDED above all else is good gameplay. I PLAY games. I have a distinct taste in games and media consumption.
The problem by listing Torment and its combat is that the combat is only a very small part of the gameplay. Torment is 95% dialogue exploration and puzzles and 5% combat.

Dahbomb

Ok thanks I got my answer.

So I belong in the majority then. I much preferred ME2 over ME1, mostly due to the combat. I hated that shooting was RPG-based in ME1, I could never wrap my head around it. A head shot is a fucking head shot... if I aim my reticule at it I should be rewarded as such. Otherwise it was a solid game with decent RPG elements. I enjoyed the combat in ME2 more, combining firearms with biotic abilities was fun but I wished there was more to do on the side as far as leveling up was concerned. Essentially the RPG mechanics were lacking, I mean it felt extremely RPG-light compared to the first one.

So in conclusion, ME1 has better RPG mechanics but ME2 has better combat mechanics. It is still up to debate which has better "game play" or which is the better game per se.

Niblet said:

What I'm saying is that a good game ideally includes a complete package. A good narrative, voice acting, animation, art direction, graphics (not every genre needs each of these elements) are all things I'd want in a good game worthy of purchase. But what is NEEDED above all else is good gameplay. I PLAY games. I have a distinct taste in games and media consumption.
Yeah man I used to be like this when I was younger. "Gameplay > Everything" in games and all.

Of course games with truly bad game play are just plain bad or mediocre no matter what their narratives are (Heavy Rain gets a lot of hate around). But what about games that are OK in the game play but outstanding in presentation? Or what about games that have decent game play but the features built around the game play are so varied and vast that it prompts you to play more of it? What about games that are genuinely innovative but have some broken or shallow game play elements?

A great game is a game with the complete package but you can't ignore the games that innovate, provide an extra level of immersion to the game play or other forms of satisfaction. Would you consider Shadow of the Colossus a bad game? I can sure as hell argue that the game has terrible "game play" where it's just a string of boss fights one after the other with very limited actual exploration. Combat and platforming mechanics are weak and bosses dwindle down to a set of easily recognizable patterns. Surely if you compare SOTC to something like Zelda you will begin to realize this but SOTC isn't LIKE Zelda now is it?

SOTC is one of my favorite games of all time but I have listed it in this thread as a game with "bad" game play. Yes, it doesn't fall into the pretenses of solid, standard and addictive game play but when you play it and finish it, the experience is indescribable. It is a complete package for me and hence a "good" game.

Niblet

water_wendi said:
The problem by listing Torment and its combat is that the combat is only a very small part of the gameplay. Torment is 95% dialogue exploration and puzzles and 5% combat.

That's the point of my post. I'm defending Torment as having GOOD gameplay because the combat is so insignificant. The game is designed in a way to ignore combat and just play the great narrative.

DaBuddaDa

Dahbomb said:
Ok thanks I got my answer.

So I belong in the majority then. I much preferred ME2 over ME1, mostly due to the combat. I hated that shooting was RPG-based in ME1, I could never wrap my head around it. A head shot is a fucking head shot... if I aim my reticule at it I should be rewarded as such. Otherwise it was a solid game with decent RPG elements. I enjoyed the combat in ME2 more, combining firearms with biotic abilities was fun but I wished there was more to do on the side as far as leveling up was concerned. Essentially the RPG mechanics were lacking, I mean it felt extremely RPG-light compared to the first one.

So in conclusion, ME1 has better RPG mechanics but ME2 has better combat mechanics. It is still up to debate which has better "game play" or which is the better game per se.
Most also agree that that story in ME1 was much better told, as nothing important happened in ME2 and it ended in the same position as it started.

hermit7 said:
Gameplay, I think mechanics could be classified differently. ME2 has better gameplay, but the mechanics are worse.
What do you mean by this? I felt that Mass Effect 2 was an improvement to the original in every way, aside from the story.

Kittonwy

Banned
Dahbomb said:
This thread has got me asking a question:

What is GAF's consensus on ME1 vs ME2? I have played both games without ever listening to a GAF comment around here so I am curious to know what the majority think (and the vocal minority too).

Hate them both.
Indifferent2.gif

Dahbomb said:
This thread has got me asking a question:

ME2's gameplay was disappointing compared to the first but it wasn't necessarily bad. It needed more exploration and roleplaying like the first game. Instead it was what I call a "narrative shooter."

Korigama

blame space said:
most people don't think about why they're playing a video game

If they don't, that wouldn't explain why they'd play one specific game over any other.

cartman414 said:
Really? The only thing bad about FFIX's gameplay was the slowdown.

The slow speed, the general uselessness of Trance (which always triggered automatically when the meter was full anyway), and the excessive amount of status effects there only to exacerbate matters.

FFVIII definitely had issues with the draw/junctioning system. Too extreme in demanding you play it one way as opposed to another.

It's not especially relevant when you're able to create stones for use in place of magic spells you've drawn (and breaks things further when you start making Aura Stones).

Durante

Dahbomb said:
Also I want to know why, just not "ME1 > ME2" or whatever. That is totally not helpful.
I'd say in overall quality ME1 = ME2, but for completely different reasons.

ME1 has the RPG mechanics, the exploration aspect that makes the game's universe feel more vast, and an interesting and well executed overall story arc that is relatively original in games (though not for readers of science fiction). It is let down primarily by the execution of the exploration sections (Mako, asset reuse) and the deficiencies in some RPG aspects, primarily the itemization and inventory systems. Personally I found the combat perfectly serviceable, but certainly not fantastic.

ME2 deals with many of ME1's shortcomings, but often it does so by simply removing large groups of features. One area that is genuinely improved is combat. On the other hand the main story arc is mediocre throughout and turns to shit towards the end, and the tedious exploration is replaced by an even more tedious minigame. However, the integration of ME1 decisions, particularly into side quests, is great.

Other aspects are similar in both games, like characterization and the impressive locations.
Having summarized it like this I think I actually prefer ME1.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
love you Durante

I like and dislike things about both games. I don't understand why some people have to speak in absolutes..."ME2 is garbage, ME1 is amazing", "no, ME1 is utter shit, ME2 is awesome". Fuck that. Your post pretty much summed up my feelings on both games. I can only hope that ME3 takes the best of both games and delivers the fucking game of the gen that it could potentially be.

SapientWolf said:
The game is deterministic, but Peggle's physics are opaque to all but the most dedicated, so there is a very large degree of randomness for the average player. The inability to accurately predict the outcome of a shot can actually free the player from feeling frustrated. They can attribute their wins to skill and every loss feels like a near miss.

That, along with the boisterous sound effects, jubilant music and flashy feedback, is the core of Peggle's appeal.

oh for sure, Peggle is genius if for its insanely effective conveyance of positive reenforcement. to say that its physics are opaque to "all but the most dedicated", though, is a bit off.

"the average player" gets thrown around a lot, but who cares about the average player? if we're going to discuss the act of twiddling our thumbs, clicking our mice, or even just sitting on our ass watching a story unfold (read: "gameplay") in an in-depth manner (which is a natural elaboration if you're going to label something "good" or "bad"), we've left the average player at the rest stop 5 miles from Nerdville.

why can a game be bad, but gameplay must be "bad"? that's what bugs me.

evangd007

The thread title is definitely poorly worded. Should be "good game with obviously broken game mechanics." It comes down to knowing that certain aspects of the game are bad, but enjoying it regardless due to the quality of the total package.

One that I've played recently that isn't on this list yet is Amnesia. Great atmosphere and exploration, awful monster mechanics.

*groan*
Shit there's a monster! Better hide!

5 minutes later...

*groan*
Just fucking leave already!

The first person platforming in the water section was the most frightening thing in that game. I stopped playing for awhile it was so bad.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
The question does seem to be better interpreted as "flawed gameplay" rather than "bad gameplay."

Mass Effect 1

Mirror's Edge

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Burnout paradise. The racing was pure garbage but dicking around online with mates doing challenges was fun, for a while anyway.

Dahbomb

blame space said:
why can a game be bad, but gameplay must be "bad"? that's what bugs me.
Well for starters, it's hard to argue against shitty graphics, low game content and other technical/design faults. That stuff just makes a game bad and anyone can see a bad game around here (like Triggerman, it's an awful game).

Most of the games that are listed around here are decently reviewed and are well known among the community. Really the difference between something like Assassin's Creed (original) and Assassin's Creed 2 or even Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2 boils down to minute game play changes.

On the surface these games look similar but there are differences. ME1 with it's more RPG-centric game play and ME2 with it's more shooter friendly combat-centric game play. You are going to have people come in and say ME1 has "bad" game play. The "bad" is in quotation marks because it really could mean anything; it could mean the person didn't like the RPG-twist to the shooting or he didn't like the weapon variety or the class set or just plain and simple it's "worse" than ME2. In the very same thread you will have someone else saying ME2 has "bad" game play because the shooting sucks in comparison to other shooters and they would be right as well.

Then you have something like AC1/AC2 where one game is better than the other due to streamlined designing and "more stuff" to do. The game play is generally identical in both but AC2 has more stuff to do and is better designed overall as a game so that's why you will come in with people saying that AC1 is a game with "bad" game play but the same people will not remark against AC2.

Game play can be relative or age-related, what's good now can be bad later on. I am sure when Resident Evil came out very few people complained about the game play, they were too busy praising the atmosphere, the tension and the graphics. I am even seeing people list Ninja Gaiden in this thread, a game that I would personally say is one of the pinnacles in action gaming as far as game play is concerned. Their comments are justified, NG has an aged camera system and awkward platforming so to them it has "bad" game play.

Korigama said:
It's not especially relevant when you're able to create stones for use in place of magic spells you've drawn (and breaks things further when you start making Aura Stones).

That's the other thing. Play it like that and you've broken the game wide open.

LiK

amtentori said:
bad gameplay = bad game

i have to agree, i think many people here are posting games with a great EXPERIENCE or STORY but the gameplay is broken. and i happen to agree with most of them.

Codeblue said:
Earthbound for me. Didn't like the battle system, the movement was super stiff, but it was the most well written game I've ever played which made it worth every second.

Least it has auto kill for weak monsters.

amtentori said:
bad gameplay = bad game
Why ever adhere to such a silly absolute?

Why do some of you want to look at this like it's black or white? Some of you are suggesting "gameplay" is objective. What? All seems rather absurd.

Create a qualitative, yet objective, comment for a video game. I want to see that.

webrunner

Ranger X said:
Those 2 games were fantastic when they came out and had some incredible gameplay. Or else they wouldn't be great.

Grand Theft Auto 3 series was so janky. The aiming controls were whacked out, the on-foot movement was hitchy, and the car physics was like it was another planet sometimes.

But they were still good games

Foxtastical said:

Why do some of you want to look at this like it's black or white? Some of you are suggesting "gameplay" is objective. What? All seems rather absurd.

Create a qualitative, yet objective, comment for a video game. I want to see that.
data from an input device

Unicorn

Anything Bethesda:
Daggerfall
Morrowind
Oblivion
Fallout 3

Amazing open choice in the games with immersive elements, but CHRIST does combat suck. Mobility is usually a huge hassle too.

Om3ga

I think this thread would be more about games that don't stand the test of time. They were great when they came out, but today since those same gameplay mechanics have been refined don't hold up so well.

My examples would be:

Classic RE: Games - I love them, and I'll still play them, but I could understand why most people would think the controls are broken.

Dragon Ball GT: Final Bout - Great Game when I was a teen. Played it extensively with friends. Replayed it recently I still remember everything, but I can't believe I spent hours daily on this game.

Grabbed by the Ghoulies: I really liked it when it came out, I kind of still like it today. I have to admit the Controls aren't that great and the random difficulty spike near the end would put people off.

GodHand: I haven't played it, but GAF recommends it. It was reviewed horribly by alot of gaming sites as well for it's "bad gameplay" yet it's loved by many for that very reason.

PN03 - Liked the game alot, Maybe it's because it was the only game I had for my Gamecube @ the time... I wouldn't go back and play it now, but I recommended quite a bit when I first had it.

Helmholtz

Fallout 3: Practically only playable via vats, which I fucking hate. Dug the story and exploration.
Oblivion: Pretty mediocre and boring combat, imo.
ME1: Not terrible, but pretty janky. Otherwise it was an immersive experience with good characters and setting.

DennisK4 said:
ME1 > ME2

Others may voice a different, wrong, opinion.
I agree with this. Although I felt ME2's combat was better, ME1 was much more memorable, engrossing, and better paced.

Mortal Kombat was made for this thread. In fact it's one of the only games I can think of that comes close to that "so bad it's good" angle. It's a lot of fun but I never got the impression it meant anything to be "good" at the game.

Shadow of the Colossus, no question.

It's a wonderful concept and has fantastic presentation, but the game itself can be such a chore to play. The erratic frame rate and terrible camera don't help either.

7Th

Final Fantasy IX. Not so sure about the "good" part, I'm just going by what others have told me, but the gameplay, at least during the first 10 hours, is just painful.

Niblet

Foxtastical said:

idgi. Which poster is claiming objectivity? I must have missed it. Is anybody actually clearly claiming objectivity? Maybe you are confusing the intent of people's words?

I can't speak for the person you are quoting, but for me:
If gameplay in a game is bad I will stop playing it. If gameplay is mediocre, I may play it depending on how engaging the narrative and other aspects of the game are, but I'm most likely to stop playing. If Gameplay is good or better, I'll play it regardless of narrative or other factors. A good narrative and/or presentation is always welcome and will do well to improve my opinion of the title, but gameplay comes first and foremost in a game*.

* Games differ on genre, so you can't judge a point and click adventure's gameplay to the gameplay of a FPS, thats ridiculous.

why is this so hard to understand

different people want different things from interactive software. what one player thinks is "worthy" of interacting with is probably much different than what another thinks is "worthy" of interacting with; it's entirely dependent on the player and his or her preferences.

THIS IS MUCH DIFFERENT FROM ANY OTHER KIND OF MEDIUM DUE TO THE PARTICIPATORY ASPECT. hone your gaming preferences for yourself and quit arguing on the internet about which games are good and/or bad.

Top Bottom