• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Appreciation Thread: 15th Anniversary and Finale

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Open spoilers beyond this point.

forbidden-secret-technique-reaper-death-seal-20070205031425767.jpg

After 15 years, a timeskip, and 700 chapters, Masashi Kishimoto's serialized shonen manga Naruto has ended. There is still a movie coming in December, as well a short mini-series in 2015 focusing on the children of the main cast, but the series proper is over.

Final List Of Story Arcs:

Part I

Introduction Arc
The Introduction Arc was included in Part I of the series, and comprised chapters 1 to 8 of the manga and episodes 1 to 5 of the Naruto anime. The main characters of the series were introduced during this arc.

Land of Waves Arc
The Land of Waves Arc was included in Part I of the series, and comprised chapters 9 to 33 of the manga and episodes 6 to 19 of the Naruto anime. It was the first major arc of the series.

Chūnin Exam Arc
The Chūnin Exam Arc comprised chapters 34 to 114 of the manga and episodes 20 to 67 of the Naruto anime. It introduced many of the secondary characters of the series, as well as the first major villain, Orochimaru, and set up the main plot for the rest of the series, with Sasuke obtaining a cursed seal from Orochimaru.

Invasion of Konoha Arc
The Invasion of Konoha Arc was included in Part I of the series, and comprised chapters 115 to 138 of the manga and episodes 68 to 80 of the Naruto anime. This arc covered Gaara's change of heart towards people after battling Naruto, and the death of the Third Hokage at Orochimaru's hands.

Search for Tsunade Arc
The Search for Tsunade Arc spans from chapters 139 to 171 of the manga and episodes 81 to 100 of the Naruto anime. The beginning of the arc is sometimes referred to as the "Return of Itachi Arc". The arc entails Naruto meeting the Akatsuki members Uchiha Itachi and Hoshigaki Kisame, his training to learn Rasengan, and meeting up with Tsunade. It also covers the battle between the legendary Sannin: Orochimaru, Jiraiya and Tsunade.

Sasuke Retrieval Arc
The Sasuke Retrieval Arc spans from chapters 172 to 238 of the manga, and episodes 107 to 135 of the Naruto anime. Sasuke decides he is not powerful enough to defeat his brother, and, feeling as if his bonds of friendship make him weak, believes Orochimaru can give him greater power and voluntarily defects to his side. It also includes Naruto's first use of his one-tailed form, and introduces Sasuke's full curse seal form. Sasuke's defection would go on to become a major focus of Part 2.

Part II

Kazekage Rescue Arc
The Kazekage Rescue Arc spans from chapters 245 to 281 of the manga and episodes 1 to 32 of the Naruto: Shippūden anime. It is the first arc of Part II. In the third databook this arc is called the "Kazekage Rescue Mission" (風影奪還任務, Kazekage Dakkan Ninmu) and in the anime DVDs it is referred to as the "Kazekage Rescue" Arc. This arc details the events of an Akatsuki raid by Deidara and Sasori on Sunagakure to find the jinchūriki of Shukaku.

Sasuke and Sai Arc
The Sasuke and Sai Arc is from Part II of the series, and spans from chapters 282 to 310 of the manga and episodes 33 to 53 of the Naruto: Shippūden anime. In the third databook, this arc is called the "Heaven and Earth Reconnaissance Mission" (天地偵察任務, Tenchi Teisatsu Ninmu). The anime DVDs for this arc call it the "Long-Awaited Reunion". This arc details Team Kakashi new members Yamato and Sai, and their reunion with the defector Uchiha Sasuke.

Hidan and Kakuzu Arc
The Hidan and Kakuzu Arc is from Part II of the series, spanning from chapters 311 to 342 of the manga and episodes 72 to 88 of the Naruto: Shippūden anime. In the third databook, this arc is called the "'Akatsuki' Suppression Mission" (“暁”討伐任務, "Akatsuki" Tōbatsu Ninmu). The anime DVDs for this arc call it "Immortal Devastators — Hidan and Kakuzu". This arc details the events caused by two of Akatsuki's "immortals", Hidan and Kakuzu. It also marked the death of major character Sarutobi Asuma.

Itachi Pursuit Arc
The Itachi Pursuit Arc spans from chapters 343 to 402 of the manga. In the Naruto: Shippūden anime, it began with episode 113 to 118, and then spanned episodes 121 to 143 with the two episode adaptation of Kakashi Gaiden shown in the interim. In the third databook, this arc is called the "Itachi Pursuit" (イタチ追跡, Itachi Tsuiseki) while the anime DVDs call it the "Master's Prophecy and Vengeance" chapter. Portions of this arc are sometimes considered separate arcs. Collectively, this arc details Konoha's Eight Man Squad's and Sasuke's task of finding Uchiha Itachi, which includes Sasuke's battle against Deidara, as well as Jiraiya's confrontation with the S-rank organisation Akatsuki's leader Pain.

Invasion of Pain Arc
The Invasion of Pain Arc is from Part II, and spans from chapters 403 to 449 of the manga. In the Naruto: Shippūden anime, it spanned from episode 152 to episode 175. The anime DVDs for this arc call it "Two Saviours". The arc detailed Akatsuki's attempts to capture the Eight-Tails and the Nine-Tailed Demon Fox, as well as introduces Naruto's Sage Mode transformation.

Five Kage Summit Arc
The Five Kage Summit Arc is from Part II, and spans from chapters 450 to 488 of the manga. In the Naruto: Shippūden anime, it spanned from episode 197 to 221. The anime DVDs for this arc call it "The Gathering of the Five Kage". Pain's destruction of Konoha and Killer B's supposed capture by Taka enticed the five countries to unite against the threat of Akatsuki. Uchiha Sasuke joins Akatsuki and is deemed an international criminal after assaulting the Five Kage Summit.

Confining the Jinchūriki Arc
The Confining the Jinchūriki Arc spans from chapters 489 to 514, and in the Naruto: Shippūden anime from episode 243 to 255. The anime DVDs for this arc call it "Nine-Tailed Fox Taming and Karmic Encounters" and it has a special DVD version for the Nine-Tails' Attack on Konoha's part called "The Birth of Naruto". All the Five Great Shinobi Countries have formed a ninja alliance with the Land of Iron and prepare for the Fourth Shinobi World War and the final battle against Akatsuki while Naruto trains to control the Nine-Tailed Demon Fox's power. It also describes the Nine-Tails' Attack on Konoha and the beginning of the war. A notable fight in this arc is Gai vs. Kisame, which finally reaches its long awaited conclusion.

Shinobi World War Arc
The Shinobi World War Arc spans from chapter 515 to 591 and in the anime from episode 256 to 289 (with the Chikara Arc going on from episode 290 to episode 295) and resumes from episode 296 to 340. It covers the Fourth Shinobi World War where the Five Great Shinobi Countries and the samurai all unite into the Allied Shinobi Forces to oppose Tobi and Akatsuki, all to protect the last two jinchūriki, Uzumaki Naruto and Killer B. The arc began with the war finally starting with both the Allied Shinobi Forces and Akatsuki moving out for battle. The arc ended following the defeat of Yakushi Kabuto, and the release of Impure World Reincarnation.

Ten-Tails Revival Arc
The Ten-Tails Revival Arc spans from chapter 592 to chapter 662 and in the anime, from episode 341 to 348, continues from 362 to 375 and later resumes from 378 to the current. It covers the climax of the Fourth Shinobi World War and the revival of the Ten-Tails, which Tobi and Uchiha Madara plan to use for their Eye of the Moon Plan.

Final Arc
The Final Arc is the last arc of the series and spans from chapter 663 to chapter 699. It covers the completion of the Eye of the Moon Plan by the casting of the Infinite Tsukuyomi, Ōtsutsuki Kaguya's attempt to subdue mankind by possessing Madara, and Uzumaki Naruto and Uchiha Sasuke's final battle that revolves around the former trying to stop the latter's plans of revolution.

Chapter 700 is a bonus chapter that shows the ninja world after Naruto has become Hokage, redeemed his friend, and become a father, finally fulfilling his lifelong dream. Here is a mockup of the characters at the end of the series:

10805800_2210680622574_337138621921079423_n.jpg

And their children:

10426917_560376730760245_2662334772976588727_n.jpg

Many of us grew up with the series, and it's surreal to see it end. It's had its fair share of both love and hate from the community, and people have found different reasons to keep reading, but there's no doubt that Naruto has been a significant part of many people's lives for the past 15 years.

Naruto Main Theme

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I can't believe it's over. I've been following the series since I was 14; I'm 26 now. I'm really happy with the ending.

The Sauce was at maximum swag during the Sai arc.

So good. Shame he didn't use that full body Chidori again though. Could have been his version of a chakra cloak if he'd pump more EXP points into it.

Pein

Banned
The Sauce was at maximum swag during the Sai arc.

So good. Shame he didn't use that full body Chidori again though. Could have been his version of a chakra cloak if he'd pump more EXP points into it.
Why would he need that when he has susanoo?

Love naruto, sucks that its over. I love these character and it bothers me most didn't get a time to shine. Lee never even had a real match in all of part 2.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but after Danzo wasn't there some "One of us is going to die in the end" scenario with Naruto and Sasuke? Or both? How exactly did they manage to avoid that? I was under the impression it was some Voldemort type nonsense.

Nice thread! Don't know which one to keep posting in!

While it's sad to see the manga end, we still have the anime to look forward to. Someone mentioned that Gai vs. Jinchuruki Madara is coming up in 5 episodes, GET HYPED. They better not fuck that up.

SolVanderlyn

Nice thread! Don't know which one to keep posting in!

While it's sad to see the manga end, we still have the anime to look forward to. Someone mentioned that Gai vs. Jinchuruki Madara is coming up in 5 episodes, GET HYPED. They better not fuck that up.
Honestly, I hope they get merged; I only posted this one because I was working on it during the week and had already planned to post it today. Treat this one as a general reflection thread or anime hype thread in the meantime.

That episode is gonna be sick. Lee vs Gaara: part two.

thenexus6

I am going to start watching again all this excitement has made me want to get back into it. Now I need the best filler guide, I don't want to miss a single episode of important stuff. Can someone recommend me one please?

Mengetsu

12 years of my life...feels good. Me and my friends just wanted Naruto with Hinata in the end. We got that and he got to work with two kids! That after war baby boom lol

M3d10n

So, since Sakura has basically the same powers as Tsunade, does it mean Sasuke got a wife that'll never get old? Dude hit jackpot.

It was a decent ending, but I am a little disappointed that Kishi chose to ignore that the shinobi society is fundamentally broken. He spent a lot of time explaining how the system can create monsters out of innocent charachters who lose their way. It was one of the main themes with Jiraiya, Nagato and Obito, but somehow it was kinda forgotten that Naruto would change the system for good. Even Kisame realised that society was fucked up, and chose to kill himself rather than revealing that Akatsuki planned to change the world forever. Sure, the ending implied that Naruto's generation would be able to keep the peace, but I was not left with the impression that Naruto achieved a lasting peace between nations.

Ferrio

Banned
Never understood why Lee looks like Guy. Figured that was just a schitck since he was young and copying him, but come on Lee you're a grown man now be yourself.

What a Boss!

Damn straight. This is when he was actually developing his skills and trying to be a diverse fighter.

Went to shit after he unlocked level 4 eye powers.

Hell, Kirin was probably one of the most OP powers we've seen on the show. He should have developed his Ama to create the conditions to use that during every single fight. Instead Ama gets gimped to hell and he never uses or even acknowledges Kirin again.

Sigh.

definitely sad that it's over. I would have liked to see a bit more of the adult versions, but I'm pretty happy with how they ended it.

JMizzlin

Wow. Pretty crazy it's over.

My friends and I used to be HUGE fans of the card game and anime. I was a Meijin (referee) for the card game here in Australia. Was a lot of fun. We also got a cosplay group together one year.

I kind of lost interest after the constant Akatsuki showdowns. The show really didn't feel like it was going anywhere, but the arc summaries in the OP were perfect so I have a renewed appreciation for the story.

Sad it's over but 15 years!

Wilsongt

Dat Gaara hair. Ew.

Edit: I suppose I can say watching the Naruto and then shippuden that I really enjoyed Gaara and crew's turn about.

Jonnax

It was a long and interesting ride. But I'm still unsure about how I feel about the end and chapter 700. I feel there was still a lot of loose ends which weren't addressed like Orochimaru.

It was a long and interesting ride. But I'm still unsure about how I feel about the end and chapter 700. I feel there was still a lot of loose ends which weren't addressed like Orochimaru.

I expect his and Taka's fates to be addressed in either The Last or the new generation mini series.

so did Naruto get his arm back after that final fight? Or is he armless now?

Hashirama cells = new arm.

Big part of my life is now gone. Pretty surreal actually..

It's weird, right?

I've been following Naruto for nine years. I can't imagine how it is for people who have been there since the beginning, but it's weird how something so insignificant can become part of your life like that, isn't it?

I don't feel empty (especially cause I'm a One Piece fan and that won't be over until I'm 50) but it's just kinda strange for something I've followed for so long to just be over like that.

Swamped

Banned
Really great ending, was kind of emotional for me even though I hadn't been following the manga for a few years, but I did read the last arc. This was one of the first mangas I got into, it's so weird that it's over! Last chapter was great, all the right couples, all the kids were cute, and it was sooooo satisfying to finally see Naruto as Hokage. After all those years. (Also, did Bolt graffiti his Dad's statue with the One Piece logo?!)

Mecha

Thought the last chapter was mediocre and rushed, but if I read the entire manga I might have felt differently.

Kickz

Really looking forward to new arc with the kids. This show was at its best when the characters were Genin level in part 1.

I've been watching naruto on and off for 10 years. Even if I didn't like Shippuden it's still the anime/manga I've devoided the most of my time, it'll be weird not having it in my life now.

I still can't forgive Kishi for how he treated Neji and basically every secondary characters.

The feels. Glad with the pairings....a little bitter that Neji died but meh. It was necessary. I am interested in watching some Naruto movies since that is something I never got around to doing.

LeleSocho

Banned
The timing of when this has ended is pretty incredible considering that i started to be interested in Naruto in the period between September and November of eight years ago...
It truly has been a fun ride...

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I only really paid attention through the first few seasons of Shippuden, then stopped mainly due to filler. I would check in every so often during major plot points.

Also, thread wouldn't be complete without a mention of Hiashi's Master Plan, a master player of Crusader Kings 2:

I think with chapter 700

this http://imgur.com/a/gc6Cc is more relevant now than ever. Hiashi wins, flawless victory.

SolVanderlyn

The feels. Glad with the pairings....a little bitter that Neji died but meh. It was necessary. I am interested in watching some Naruto movies since that is something I never got around to doing.
Yeah, you know, outside of the first movie I never really got around to this either. Might have to try them out at some point, the Land of Snow movie was pretty good.

Alienous

Naruto should have died in a selfless act. That would have given him a really good arc. Sasuke would return to the village and become Hokage, and they would carve Naruto's face in Hokage Rock as a tribute.

It resolved itself far too neatly. "Yay, everyone made it" ... 'cept Neji.

Yup. Definitely sad that it's over. One of the reasons I fell in love with Shounen back in the day.
Sasuke Retrieval Arc is still my favorite of the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom