• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Appreciation Thread: 15th Anniversary and Finale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kabuto

I remember I first started reading Naruto in the USA Shonen Jumps when they were on the Chunin Exam Preliminaries Arc. I insisted on only reading the manga when it released every month for a long time hahah.

I finally started reading the online scanlated versions around the Deidara-Sasuke fight on a MSN group that released it. After that, I caught up on everything up till that point and followed the manga every Friday (which turned into Thursday, Wednesday, and then back to Thursday again :p).

Seriously though, I'm going to miss this manga. It got me through some tough times in high school and college.

Just for fun, my Top 5 fights in Shippuden:

Kabuto vs. Sasuke/Itachi (of course)

Madara vs. the Gokage

Sasuke vs. the Gokage

Killer B vs. Taka

Orochimaru vs. Naruto

I-hate-u

I honestly think the better fights are yet to air on the anime, but so far:

my_pain_is_far_greater_than_yours__by_ryuunake98-d4qzmwi.gif

tumblr_mndvb9vwrf1sok6ilo1_250.gif

naruto-vs-kyuubi-o.gif

tumblr_mqi845zvAc1s2jrq0o1_r1_400.gif

and the GOAT:

1000px-Kakashi_vs_Obito.png

King Boo

it was a good series. things like destiny child, dbz style fighting, obito, "hard work", and characters having extremely powerful immune-to-death jutsus powered by plot were all bad elements in the story. but there was plenty of other things that made it great like interesting characters (jiraiya, orochimaru, bee, kisame, itachi, sasuke, naruto, danzo, madara, tobirama, etc), visually cool techniques (too lazy to list), and although some fights were bad (especially later in part 2) there were many other fights that were very entertaining.

i will miss the series. fortunately there's a part 3 mini series so that's nice

Replicant

They were never friends to begin with. Real friends are like Gon and Killua from HxH, now that's real friendship.

That's why I put 'friend' in quotation mark. But the amount of times Naruto had to go through shit to save Sasuke's sorry and worthless soul was maddening and ridiculous.

Evilisk

Why is Anko so pudgy :/ (haven't kept up with Naruto in years so that's all I can say lol)

Also, a GIF warning would be nice for those of us on mobile

Why is Anko so pudgy :/ (haven't kept up with Naruto in years so that's all I can say lol)

Also, a GIF warning would be nice for those of us on mobile

The curse seal chakra was keeping her metabolism up. Since Orochimaru sucked it up, she lost her ability to eat all she wanted and remain sexy.

Pain Arc, goat...His theme song alone is bonkers. And the in depth they went about his crew in the final arc I believe, was so good. Same with the first Hoakge and Madara back story. But man, that Kakashi and Obito conflict..Man I felt that. So many great moments. I got into it because of my little brother(He is 24 now, I'm 35)And when it was all over, I told him"you guys have your DBZ for your gen, congrats, reflect and pass it on. Just like I did with you with DBZ" What a ride.

Loved part 1, hated a lot of part 2. I especially hated the beginning of part 2. Kishi made Naruto look like a chump and wasted tons of his time chasing after Sasuke over and over. The time skip got nothing done for Naruto at all.

I disagree in the pain and war arc Naruto grew a lot as a character, both in power and personally. He learned important lessons from the lost of Jiraiya, Nagato, Itachi, Killer B and the Sage itself.

saher

Banned
Sadly Ssasuke retrieval arc was the last naruto arc i enjoyed , i don't remember anything between this arc and the war arc.

HEfWwGt.png

dat sound four

I disagree in the pain and war arc Naruto grew a lot as a character, both in power and personally. He learned important lessons from the lost of Jiraiya, Nagato, Itachi, Killer B and the Sage itself.

Naruto powered up in the pain arc because Kishi probably noticed he fucked up. Sage mode was a quick bandaid for Naruto's weakness compared to Sasuke. The training for Rasenshruiken was a waste because soon after, there was a chapter telling him not to use it. Kishi's love for Sasuke was so apparent in the beginning of part two that it spawned this art:

Sasuke had way more fight after the time skip in the beginning and was the focus. It was pretty damn sad that the main character was sidelined for so long that people were asking where was Naruto?

Kishi really botched the best villain in the series IMO. Gave him an uneventful death where he didn't fight all out in battle, got 1 paneled by Itachi....twice, came back than nothing. Orochimaru was such an epic character and I thought that he would be the final boss once they brought him back. I also wonder what happened to Kabuto? Is he in jail for war crimes?

Also Sauskes kid is catching feels for Bolt. I hope they show the wedding an birth of probably the most OP character lol

Something that never got explained was, how exactly did dust release helped with longevity. I mean it clearly works because Onoki was alive from the times of Hashirama.

Wasn't Naruto suppose to be the host of all the tailed beasts? Why does Bee still have the 8 Tails?

Lol at Gaara lookin like Nish from Gantz

Also is InoXSai?

Naruto only received a portion of the 8 tails, the tentacle Obito captured, right?

Yeah, he receive the full shukaku right?

Also Ino X Sai was a long time coming, remember the time when Sai was still struggling to pass out as a regular guy, he read in a book/Sakura told him? that is nice to say something that describes a person after instead of saying their name. To make it more personal.

So he called Sakura ugly, Sakura was pissed. At a later time, Sakura laid the trap to Ino, so that Sai would call her names. But he told it like it is and call her beautiful.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Something that never got explained was, how exactly did dust release helped with longevity. I mean it clearly works because Onoki was alive from the times of Hashirama.
Eh, I don't really think this needed any additional explanation. It's clear Onoki was special from the start because he was one of the only people in the world with a kekkei tota.

Heroman

Banned
Sadly Ssasuke retrieval arc was the last naruto arc i enjoyed , i don't remember anything between this arc and the war arc.

HEfWwGt.png

dat sound four

That Arc was so good, Almost everybody got there time o shine, If they kept that template then Naruto would be Goat.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The hypest moment in the series was born out of the worst thing to happen to the series.

Flashback to 2005. Sasuke Retrieval Arc is wrapping up. Manga readers are just starting to enjoy part II and have just taken in the awesome Kakashi Gaiden. Anime watchers were getting ready to see Part II animated and the hype was never greater.

Filler arc after the Naruto vs. Sasuke battle... ok. We can wait.

Another one? Ok...

Uh-oh, this is looking bad.

Part II may never get animated.

God, this filler is terrible.

Flash forward two years later. Shippuden is announced.

Come on, everybody stand up

Part II is getting animated, holy shit. Kakashi Gaiden is MIA but we're getting it!!

Granted, most people liked Part I better in the end, but the moment I found out Naruto was leaving filler hell and not going the way of the Kenshin is one I will never forget as both a manga reader and anime watcher.

Anteater

http://i.imgur.com/HEfWwGt.png[IMG]

dat sound four[/QUOTE]

I think I kind of stopped caring after the time skip, I kept reading up to the sasuke vs itachi part, at that point on there were quite a few characters I didn't like and I didn't really enjoy, then once I got to the Pain fight and the training I just dropped the manga completely.

I picked it up again when they were fighting Tobi and it didn't even feel like I've missed much skipping the entire war arc :lol. I'm now playing the game to catch up and see what actually happened.

Verger

Banned
I remember reading a rumor that Kishi's editors forced him to end The Immortals (Hidan and Kakuzu) arc early or rushed because they wanted him to get back to Sasuke because of having had no panel time for him in a while (and there were things he didn't get a chance to write more about in that arc).

There was another rumor that another one of Kishi's editors left right after the Pain Arc, which to some was an indicator of the massive drop in storytelling quality after that.

And then of course there is the most recent rumor that Kishi ended the Madara battle the way he did because A. He couldn't figure out a plausible way to defeat him, and B. He needed to introduce Kaguya for plot points needed for the upcoming film.

In any case. There are a lot of issues with the manga and Kishi is probably all in all not that great of a writer.

The manga may have gone downhill towards the end but I'm very satisfied. All I wanted was Hinata and Naruto and I got that. I really like the design of the kods and I would totally read a fully fledged out Part 3.

Verger

Banned
The manga may have gone downhill towards the end but I'm very satisfied. All I wanted was Hinata and Naruto and I got that.
Not singling you out.

But what does it say about a product and its fandom when the vast majority of its "hardcore" fans are only interested in "shipping"?

I remember reading a rumor that Kishi's editors forced him to end The Immortals (Hidan and Kakuzu) arc early or rushed because they wanted him to get back to Sasuke because of having had no panel time for him in a while (and there were things he didn't get a chance to write more about in that arc).

There was another rumor that another one of Kishi's editors left right after the Pain Arc, which to some was an indicator of the massive drop in storytelling quality after that.

And then of course there is the most recent rumor that Kishi ended the Madara battle the way he did because A. He couldn't figure out a plausible way to defeat him, and B. He needed to introduce Kaguya for plot points needed for the upcoming film.

In any case. There are a lot of issues with the manga and Kishi is probably all in all not that great of a writer.

Pretty sure the 1st one is true and Kishi did say he had no idea how Madara could be beaten.

Everything else I have no idea.

So much emptiness :( Going to my local Japanese bookstore today to pick up Vol.72 and Hiden Jin no Sho. Should fill the gap, albeit temporarily...*sigh*

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Naruto has 2 kids, right? man i am going to miss this series. hope bleach ends soon.

HEfWwGt.png

dat sound four

The Sound four, i missed these bad guys. out of that arc Choji became a badass.

Brickhunt

Looking at the way Naruto and Sasuke were handling Madara after getting their power-ups, I'm pretty he was still defeatable. Somehow, I wish he had been beaten while he was still an ET and then resurrected by Black Zetsu. Would make a nice contrast of his power before and after becoming a Jinchuuriki;

I find it funny that both Ochochimaru and Kabuto still lives. Sure, they turned into good guys. But they are still the sole Edo Tensei users in this series. And they porbably still possess the ET scroll to revive all significant fighters once again. They just need a bad day to wreck the world again.

Eh, I don't really think this needed any additional explanation. It's clear Onoki was special from the start because he was one of the only people in the world with a kekkei tota.

They could at least say it was dust release that atomized old cells or something lol. The guy was alive in a time where Hokages didn't existed. And he is still alive in the times of a seven Hokage. He is at least 125

Ushay

Final chapter left me quite satisfied especially with Hinata and Naruto's outcome. It's been a long ride, started when I was 18. Looking forward to the new generation arc, could be something special.

By the way this movie, does it take place at the end of the story?

Final chapter left me quite satisfied especially with Hinata and Naruto's outcome. It's been a long ride, started when I was 18. Looking forward to the new generation arc, could be something special.

By the way this movie, does it take place at the end of the story?

Between chapter 699 and 700.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom