• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto: PS3 Project site opens [2 images]

RobertM

Dali said:
Another poster said the filler starts at 136... so I'd say it gets bad after 136 (that includes Shippuden). I like the Naruto games, but I hate Naruto with a passion. Even amongst the episodes that could be considered good - when I first started watching - I hated the character, the world full of anachronisms, the whole fucking premise. Between episode 1-136 there are only three, yes three, well-done, well animated fight scenes. For some reason I keep watching, though. I feel like Phil Hartman in that episode of Newsradio where he couldn't stop eating the disgusting expired sandwiches from the vending machine.

Do yourself a favor, White Man, don't start watching this crap. Just stick to the games.

On topic: I wish people would read the thread. Those pics are very likely not in game. Production isn't even supposed to start until 2008.
People are shitting on Shippude, huh? And you only saw 3 good fight scenes? Were you skipping episodes from time to time ?

Dali

RobertM said:
People are shitting on Shippude, huh? And you only saw 3 good fight scenes? Were you skipping episodes from time to time ?

I only skipped when it entered the filler. I watched the first thirty or so filler episodes (not knowing it was filler) then read up on why the fuck
they weren't advancing the Sasuke storyline
so I stopped watching until Shippuden.

Shippuden is like watching Slam Dunk all over again. You've got lame fights that take four or five episodes and consist of a lot of freeze frames and/or really bad animation. The whole puppet thing was just lame and I assume the "techniques" will only get lamer as they move up the Akatsuki hierarchy. You've got Naruto chasing some guy for like six episodes and then the fight when they catch him was certainly not worth the build-up. That's kind of the story of Naruto in general - not worth the build-up. Every fight so far has had a long build-up with a shitty pay-off.

In regards to my comments about the fights. I guess what I consider good and what you consider good are two different things.
The Sasuke/Naruto fight and Rock Lee/Gara fight were good.
I remember making a mental note that another fight was good but I can't recall who was fighting. Those fights were animated excellently and actually involved real fighting, not creating clay pigeon bombs or
giant snakes and frogs or sand cat demons.

inner-G

Banned
I like Shippuden!

The fight with the puppets wasn't that bad. I'm just glad its (mostly) canon material from the manga. I wish they didn't skip[ past the Kakashi Gaiden though.

It's tough being a Naruto fan, lol.

sega4ever

it is slow as hell, and what makes the pacing worse is they seem to only show 2 episodes a month for some strange reason

Dali said:
I remember making a mental note that another fight was good but I can't recall who was fighting. Those fights were animated excellently and actually involved real fighting, not creating clay pigeon bombs or...

It was either
Sasuke vs Oruchimaru fight where they were participating in the Second Chunin Exams
or
The Third Hokage vs Oruchimaru, First and 2nd Hogake.
Beautiful stuff!

Dali said:
In regards to my comments about the fights. I guess what I consider good and what you consider good are two different things.
The Sasuke/Naruto fight and Rock Lee/Gara fight were good.
I remember making a mental note that another fight was good but I can't recall who was fighting. Those fights were animated excellently and actually involved real fighting, not creating clay pigeon bombs or
giant snakes and frogs or sand cat demons.

No
RockLee/Gaara vs. Kimmimaro love
? Haku vs. Sasuke and Naruto? Neji vs. Hinata? Naruto/Sasuke vs. Gaara? Tsunade/Jiraya vs. Kabuto/Orochimaru?

How about the Third vs. Orochimaru?

Zoe said:
61121420070921_173922_0_big.jpg

Says they're not.

Yeah you might want to brush up on your moon language.

Says pictures are from a game still in development just like the above poster said.

Dali

dr_rus said:
No fooking way those are screenshots.
I vote for drawn art, not even renders.

Dude... *sigh* nevermind... they are computer generated. It's from a teaser video shown during TGS. It is very doubtful that it is in-game, though.

FlashbladeGAF said:
It was either
Sasuke vs Oruchimaru fight where they were participating in the Second Chunin Exams
or
The Third Hokage vs Oruchimaru, First and 2nd Hogake.
Beautiful stuff!

The
Sasuke/Orochimaru
fight was the one. I remember being annoyed by the other one you listed because too many lame techniques were being used. It is well-animated though and deserves mention.

typhonsentra said:
No
RockLee/Gaara vs. Kimmimaro love
? Haku vs. Sasuke and Naruto? Neji vs. Hinata? Naruto/Sasuke vs. Gaara? Tsunade/Jiraya vs. Kabuto/Orochimaru?

How about the Third vs. Orochimaru?

No... just no. I started watching some of your selections to see if maybe I was remembering wrong, but I was correct in my recollection (BTW amv creators all need to just choke on the crap that they consider art. Playing Evanescence over a clip of Naruto is stupid and requires zero talent or skill. It also makes it damn near impossible to search for anything anime related on youtube). I stopped because it became apparent that you and I have very different ideas of what's good. Take the Neji/Hinata fight. I didn't have to rewatch that one. I remember them using the same frames over and over again. I think the Kimmimaro and Rock Lee fight was part of the filler that I watched. It was like DBZ all over again. Use two frames of animation and say they are fighting at super speed.

It's not like the good fights in Naruto probably required any effort either. At least some of them are simply stolen from live-action kung fu films, which probably means most of them are. Naruto may be fun to watch at times, but in its level of intelligence it's no different than Dragonball Z. It's just more expensive.

Dali

Liabe Brave said:
It's not like the good fights in Naruto probably required any effort either. At least some of them are simply stolen from live-action kung fu films, which probably means most of them are. Naruto may be fun to watch at times, but in its level of intelligence it's no different than Dragonball Z. It's just more expensive.

I realize some of it is rotoscoped, but some of it uses original keyframes. Besides you act as though rotoscoping or even just using other movies as reference makes it much easier. It only means they don't have to choreograph as much.

It sounds like you are also suggesting repeating the same few frames of animation over and over again is just as difficult as drawing all the frames needed to make a fluid, dynamic, action-filled fight scene. I know I misread your post though, because nobody is that ill-informed.

karasu

Why would they release a trailer just to say "We're gonna start working on this game in 2008!!!"? That makes no sense.

Dali said:
I realize some of it is rotoscoped, but some of it uses original keyframes. Besides you act as though rotoscoping or even just using other movies as reference makes it much easier. It only means they don't have to choreograph as much.

It sounds like you are also suggesting repeating the same few frames of animation over and over again is just as difficult as drawing all the frames needed to make a fluid, dynamic, action-filled fight scene. I know I misread your post though, because nobody is that ill-informed.

The "borrowed" fights in Naruto may or may not be rotoscoped, which is a specific way to copy live-action to animation. Either way, using others' fight choreography isn't restricted to them, or to anime. Western movies have stolen kung-fu fights and stunts from Hong Kong films for years.

You're absolutely right that my diction was poor, and my point wasn't that drawing a lot of frames is no more work than drawing two. Clearly it is. My point was that taking someone else's choreography for your fights reduces an artistic act--designing the fight--to an act of craftsmanship: can you draw what you see? The amount of money and time put into Naruto exceeds that put into Dragonball Z; the amount of thinking, not so much.

karasu said:
Why would they release a trailer just to say "We're gonna start working on this game in 2008!!!"? That makes no sense.

Could be that they're using "project" not as a generic noun, but as a placeholding title for the game. How would you interpret a trailer for GT5 Prologue that ends with the line "Prologue begins 2008"? It could be they meant that the game will be out in 2008.

karasu said:

showing off what to expect.

same reason EA released bogus Madden videos and the many other game companies do the same all the time.

that said, if this Naruto game can get as close to the video as Killzone 2 got to the CG teaser, it will be f'ing insane.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I'm 100% sure those screens are from a pre-rendered video. As a dev I don't see how that feet distortion could be done in real-time.

I'll wait before getting excited.

PG2G

BTW, I wasn't really impressed with the graphics of the 360 version. It looked great in some of the screens, but while playing it, its fairly obvious that the characters are low poly and that the shading could use work.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Dali said:
Rock Lee/Gara fight
That was the only good fight that Naruto has IMO. The rest is just bad. No wait, bad is not the word... it's more like reused, stretched, slow, poorly animated, poorly drawn, poorly colored, unoriginal POS. I stopped watching Naruto because I felt like they were fucking laughing at me: "hey, the public is dumb as shit, so we'll just spend as little money and effort as we can and they probablly won't notice!!! LULZ!!!1". Well, I noticed. Detergent ads have higher production values and effort put into them than Narutoh FFS.

DKnight said:
That was the only good fight that Naruto has IMO. The rest is just bad. No wait, bad is not the word... it's more like reused, stretched, slow, poorly animated, poorly drawn, poorly colored, unoriginal POS.

Some of the best animated fights that have already aired on Cartoon Network

Sasuke vs Orochimaru http://youtube.com/watch?v=C8QhDxLMsw0

Third Hokage vs First and Second Hokage and Orochimaru http://youtube.com/watch?v=7dneyaiQS7s (you can stop around 4:40)

So far it seems like the Ps3 project is capturing the spirit of these well animated fights instead of the standard side by side 2d fighting style

RobertM

Dali said:
Dude... *sigh* nevermind... they are computer generated. It's from a teaser video shown during TGS. It is very doubtful that it is in-game, though.

The
Sasuke/Orochimaru
fight was the one. I remember being annoyed by the other one you listed because too many lame techniques were being used. It is well-animated though and deserves mention.

No... just no. I started watching some of your selections to see if maybe I was remembering wrong, but I was correct in my recollection (BTW amv creators all need to just choke on the crap that they consider art. Playing Evanescence over a clip of Naruto is stupid and requires zero talent or skill. It also makes it damn near impossible to search for anything anime related on youtube). I stopped because it became apparent that you and I have very different ideas of what's good. Take the Neji/Hinata fight. I didn't have to rewatch that one. I remember them using the same frames over and over again. I think the Kimmimaro and Rock Lee fight was part of the filler that I watched. It was like DBZ all over again. Use two frames of animation and say they are fighting at super speed.
Either your standards are too high or you like to obsess over little things, I bet it's both. And Kimmimaro fights wan't even part of the filler, shows how much you remember.

Xiaoki

Why would a Japanese company make a Naruto game based on early Naruto in 2008? It will have been like 3 years since that Naruto series ended.
I would like to see an online Action RPG. Customise your character, pick your village, go on missions, pick what skills/Jutsus you want. Atleast that way we won't be continuously replaying Naruto's early adventures.

I didn't find Naruto watchable until Shippuuden.
Nearly all of Naruto's goofball stupidity was removed, the fights are broken up with an ::gasp:: actual cohesive plot and (if the anime continues to follow the manga very closely) there is little filler between the arcs.

Top Bottom