• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 |OT| Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Beat it tonight. Boy I sure got annoyed at some of the final stuff. For the final fights I found my best bet was to use chakra shurikans and the
kuruma version of chakra shurikans
over and over again. I didn't realize until really late that you could do a bijuu dama if your chakra was REALLY high though. I figured you should be able to, but I guess my chakra was always too low.

Got all like C's and D's on that shit. Making me question whether I want to try to plat or not, gettin S's on those just sounds like a pain in the ass. I'll probably try those first, and if I can manage them, then I'll go for the rest of the stuff.

Kinda crazy how literally 100% of the sidequest stuff from the earlier Storm games is ONLY accessible once you beat the game in this one, though.

Don't mean to sound TOO down on it all, there was some pretty neat stuff in there. Naruto's last punch was pretty friggin great. Some Asura's Wrath stuff in there. Actually sorta felt like Gurren Lagann with Naruto's little speech pre-punch.

Hahaha

Wow

So, manually save often in the post-game

"Return to the last free roam section" apparently means "the last time you manually saved"

Which means you can lose several hours of progress!

BECAUSE THIS GAME WAS DESIGNED BY PROFESSIONALS

DR2K

Banned
Hahaha

Wow

So, manually save often in the post-game

"Return to the last free roam section" apparently means "the last time you manually saved"

Which means you can lose several hours of progress!

BECAUSE THIS GAME WAS DESIGNED BY PROFESSIONALS

I never trust auto saves in any game. Sucks though.

Kabuto

I finally got 1000/1000 for this game. The last boss battle took forever. My tips on getting S rank is eating a bento box (I ate the Thunder Bento, which gives you Max Attack and Defense), having a Level 5 Hero item set and filling it up with health potions, and focusing on the Two Tails, 5 Tails, and 4 Tails first in their respective battles. For the 7 Tails, just spam chakra shuriken.

Best save related botch in the game for me is that you're made to go through the Mist Swordsman, Kakashi/Zabuza boss and entire Darui section without the option for a single savepoint or autosave, heading back to HQ at any point through the menu to save manually throws you back before the mist swordsman and even removes all the characters you may have unlocked.
HILARIOUS! I think the game even shifted chapters during this bit, without a save point, because fuck you.

Anyone have tips for how to block effectively? I've been trying to get a leg-up on my roommate but blocking doesn't really help. I'll block a combo or a jutsu, sure, but afterwards my options are to either drop the block and get pummeled because I don't have enough time to follow up with an attack, or I keep the block up and it gets broken with a throw/grab move.

Well most standard combos outside of awakenings aren't enough alone to guard break unless you're really getting hammered, if they continue to attack then eventually the final string of the combo should theoretically leave them open for you to either back off or storm in.
In the case of them using a throw mid combo, they tend to have slow startups so you need to recognise when one is coming and try to jump out of there if you don't want to use a substitution, alternatively the slow startup may allow you to get the start of a combo in yourself.

I think people may underestimate the use of the sideways jumping dodge, it has the capability of getting you out of trouble alongside blocking and substitutions, it's pretty good at dodging most projectile focused jutsu i'd say, maybe try mixing up your various defences as to avoid being too predictable.
Finally there's assists and jutsus in general, moves like Pain and Nagato's Almighty Push and Neji's rotation/Hinata's protective palm thingamajig can get you out of tight defensive spots. Granted i'm not the best guy to give advice, my rival for this game kicks my arse more often than not.

Boy, chapter 4 sure was nice to watch. And also nice to play, for the 5 minutes out of 50 that I played it.

Was that the super-long cinema most people mention? Or is there an even longer one in the final chapter?

It was extremely long, like, Xenosaga territory. But it still gave me those feels. I read the manga, but it was different seeing it animated with voice-acting.

Ferrio

Banned
Beat it the other night, and hadn't seen the manga/anime of any of these arcs so it was a nice catchup. I loaded up crunchy roll just to see how d ifferent some scenes were, and I was pleasantly surprised some were word for word the same.

I like how you could tell they cut a lot from the game. The exploring sections were pretty much gone, making you run across just one screen was hilarious. Though I hated those sections in the previous game, so I wasn't sad. I also like the tool tips about going to town to buy stuff.... which you like only visit twice in the game. Also seems like they phoned it home after the 4th chapter.

Neonsands

Neo Member
I got this today and just skipped through the cutscenes. I've seen everything on this, so I managed to get it done in a few hours. Still, those ending battles really bring the difficulty up. Also, some of the loading screens are ridiculous. There was one that came up, watched a slide of Sasuke from the past, then another loading screen. I laughed.

But, I'm enjoying the new characters. Hanzo is as fun to play as I thought.

Does anyone think Guy is OP? Whenever my roommate and I play as him the other gets wrecked. His chakra dashes in his awakened state are practically substitions and he's super fast. He's pimp as fuck but I always feel guilty when I destroy my friend.

SykoTech

Finally got to play more. Unfortunately, this single player has been really disappointing outside of the Prologue and Chapter 4 boss fight. So far anyway (just finished the 1st chapter of the war).

No boss fights for big moments like Sasuke vs Kages, Sasuke vs Danzo, or Tobi vs Konan. Yet those boring, sentimental zombie fights during the war get one. What. Then Choji vs the Gedo Statue, which I was expecting to be pretty cool, had to be the most unfun boss battle in the entire Storm series thus far. I've had more fun with the Dynasty Warriors-lite sections. Not to mention there's been absolutely nothing interesting to do in the free roam areas at all.

Those last few boss fights better be as good as people have been saying.

Well, at least multiplayer is pretty fun....offline anyway. I love Fu.

Pein

Banned
Alright, after a few weeks and getting finished with EMS sasuke and Madara I've found my mains. Raikage, Garra and Danzo. Ay and Garra were awful in generations so its kinda incredible that they can be top tier now.

Itachi is still my best character but I think the Uchiha's are over used right now so I'm staying away from him for awhile. Characters like Hidan and Orochimaru got nerfed in to oblivion which blows since I loved Orochimaru in generations. Masked man has been nerfed too, its funny to see people playing him like in Generations just to get beaten terribly.

Neonsands

Neo Member
Alright, after a few weeks and getting finished with EMS sasuke and Madara I've found my mains. Raikage, Garra and Danzo. Ay and Garra were awful in generations so its kinda incredible that they can be top tier now.

Itachi is still my best character but I think the Uchiha's are over used right now so I'm staying away from him for awhile.

If anything Gaara got nerfed from the last games. His chary sand bullets don't have the knockback they used to, plus his jutsu doesn't have the tracking it once did.

I do like how quick his new ultimate can be, and the sand spears are cool.

I got back to using Jugo, because his instant awakening is AMAZING. Plus the reach on his grab is more important than ever.

Been playing with my roommate all week, thought I had this game down. Went to play my first online match thinking I'd be fine... What. The. Eff. I'm getting destroyed left and right! I have no confidence anymore. If you ever see a player with a pic of Naruto getting punched in the face with the title 'Pitiful Loser' above it, that's me.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Platinum'd! Also maxed out all the mission lists, cause why not. Got this survival mode here though with stuff to do.......

Smilax

Been playing with my roommate all week, thought I had this game down. Went to play my first online match thinking I'd be fine... What. The. Eff. I'm getting destroyed left and right! I have no confidence anymore. If you ever see a player with a pic of Naruto getting punched in the face with the title 'Pitiful Loser' above it, that's me.
Are you being destroyed due to lag, or actually combos? For me, it's lag lol.

Platinum'd! Also maxed out all the mission lists, cause why not. Got this survival mode here though with stuff to do.......

OH! So there is a survival mode, how do you unlock it? or is it a best bet to just collect all the Ninja Pages in Story Mode?

what are the post story missions you can unlock? moving around the world sucks... is there no fast travel?

Can I just unlock all the characters through mp?

Does anyone think Guy is OP? Whenever my roommate and I play as him the other gets wrecked. His chakra dashes in his awakened state are practically substitions and he's super fast. He's pimp as fuck but I always feel guilty when I destroy my friend.

The characters should all be like they are in the manga. It is a shame that these games rarely get these things accurate. Guy should be super fast because that is his signature thing.

Smilax

what are the post story missions you can unlock? moving around the world sucks... is there no fast travel?

Can I just unlock all the characters through mp?

My brother and I unlocked the majority of Characters through Tournament mode in MP. You need to earn a certain amount of money to unlock all of them.

oh yeah, this is my first ninja storm game. Any tips against CPU ranged attackers like deidara? I feel like I win by accident.

Also, the final mission is stupid. STUPID. yellow naruto vs the transformed beasts was super annoying.... but naruto vs 7 at once sucked... and that lag :mad:

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
OH! So there is a survival mode, how do you unlock it? or is it a best bet to just collect all the Ninja Pages in Story Mode?

I got it after completing some mission in the post-game, but I don't remember which one. Had nothing to do with timeline pages. Just keep runnin around. I probably circled the world like 40 times trying to find people with missions, lawd.

[Edit] Oh maybe it was the one where you do this tournament battle thing in each village, you start that by talking to Inoichi and Choza in Konoha.

Smilax

I got it after completing some mission in the post-game, but I don't remember which one. Had nothing to do with timeline pages. Just keep runnin around. I probably circled the world like 40 times trying to find people with missions, lawd.

[Edit] Oh maybe it was the one where you do this tournament battle thing in each village, you start that by talking to Inoichi and Choza in Konoha.

Thank you for the heads up! I'll try everything you said lol. I really want survival mode.

Gaaraa

I've got the game but am still way behind in the anime (up to ep 140) what episode in the anime does the story mode of the game go up to?

In so far as this game let me catch up on Naruto lore, I actually enjoyed this. The sections where you go from point A to point B are silly though.

Just finished the story mode. Holy shit do tbey put you through the ringer at the end of the game. That was kind of frustrating at parts.

So the first paid DLC is out today

School Uniform Pack ($1.99) – School’s in session — NINJA school! Get in an academic frame of mind with this collection of school uniform costumes for Naruto (Sage Mode), Ino, Hinata, Kakashi, and Sasuke. It’s time to hit the books! (with book-smashing jutsu) (because you are a ninja)

I'm assuming this stuff is based off of the second ending for Shippuden?

SykoTech

Those last 2 bosses definitely delivered, even though they end in a very dumb way storyline-wise. Gotta have that happy ending I guess. Overall, quite a mixed experience. Some things were really cool (last 2 bosses, playable Jinchurikis) but others were underwhelming (initial war stuff, pre-time skip characters).

Trying to S Rank the last boss is a major pain though. Would be so much easier if I could use items during the second phase as it's the hardest part of the fight, but nope. The chimp and the bug, man...

Pein

Banned
bought the dlc, well worth it. Kakashi looks boss as fuck and Ino and Hinata match nicely with sakura now.

Top Bottom