• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 |OT| Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Georgious

Banned
Does anybody know what buying the actual ultimate jutsu in the store does? I seem to have all the moves already but I didn't purchase anything in the Bandai Store..

I finished the story mode a few hours ago, overall it wasn't as bad as some may lead people to believe but it does fall short of UNS2.

*Story spoilers within*

The locations and general progression of the plot this time around don't lend themselves very well to the whole overworld traversal aspect leading them to feel much more like fluff than before, especially as the game often ends a cutscene, loads up the overwold, you walk across one screen and then goes straight into another cutscene, in its defence the brief moments on the map give you the opportunity to check menu stuff, save the game or go elsewhere and buy items so I get why it sends you back to the map between scenes but it can be a hassle,
most notable in the Naruto and Bee segments en route to the battlefields where there's actually nothing else at all in between scenes on the map itself

I haven't counted but the QTE focused bosses aren't as frequent nor are the occasional gameplay shifts in the middle of them which is a shame, while most of them were still solid I don't feel they quite topped some of those in Storm 2. And while I understand that not everything can be as well presented in this way i've gotta say,
Kisame gets shafted on both fight occasions
. Seeing as there were a few smaller scale QTE battles like
The Asuma one
it would've been nice if this angle could have been used more often to beef up some of these other fights.
The sections filled with multiple enemies are kind of enjoyable in a silly fun musou kind of way even if the numbers are a lot smaller and the level designs being corridors, they each end just about the right time before getting too repetitive. Ultimate decision was a kind of odd idea, I just went the Legend route each time.

Unfortunately I don't have much positive to say about the final chapter,
it's just a mess, from not topping up your health or letting you tinker with your items between fights to being constantly interrupted off screen by like small projectiles that will ruin your combos and then land you in hot water, at this point the limited substitution mechanic shows its flaws as it doesn't seem well adapted to fighting three characters simultaneously. Then following that you've got the actual tailed beast gauntlets with the camera occasionally flipping out, the best tactics are spam tactics of some kind which gets much more tired and boring when you've got to keep taking on the various beasts, basically it's awkward and you as a player are kind of limited here in attack options moreso than other battles, fancy QTE spectacle aside it's not the grand finish i'd like, if anything it ends on a bum note with multiple battles of attrition and a cop out "everything worked out fine" ending which I can at least understand due to the placement of the final battle.
Oh and since Fuu in both standard and Beast form beat me twice with like one hit left before my possible victory I now hate her for it, always turning up last swooping in for the kill!

Anyway turns out there's still more side stuff in the main mode so it's not that light on content by any means though I doubt i'll bother with most of it, it's enjoyable for the most part and adapts the source a lot closer than Storm 2 for its cutscenes even if once again it take liberties with the plot at times for game related reasons, some cutscenes really stretch out too long, overall it's still fun but falls short of improving upon the groundwork laid in Storm 2.

Other stuff
As someone who skipped over Generations there's actually quite a few things that are new to me here, the substitution system being the big one, I like it because i've always thought when playing local multiplayer in previous games that it was too abusable for my liking and that Storm 2 made the timing requirement too much easier so often you would get punished for getting up close and attacking, now at least it adds a new layer of thought to how you attack and at least being the first to go on the offensive can help you get the one up over your opponent regarding substitutions. But I still feel assists regenerate a bit too fast, chopping off one of the ground combos for each character seems unnecessary but doesn't really change things that much.
The new ring out system has been a non factor for me so far so I don't really have much to say about it, though if my assumption is correct you need to keep one assist free if you want to save yourself from being lobbed out which could promote some more careful use of them.

Not a fan of instant awakenings, honestly I can't really judge them much right now but they seem like they'll further upset balance in a game that doesn't really have much to begin with, really they just feel like a new addition for the sake of a new addition.

The roster overall pleases me but once again my skipping of Generations likely plays a part here, characters like Danzo and Haku aren't actually new to this entry but they are new to me as well as my most wanted so yeah i'm easily pleased, really there's not too many notable characters missing out, a good bunch of the additions this time seem to be characters that haven't actually been shown doing much in the series but have been given a full playable role regardless, basically these sort of characters are all that are really missing anyway so while I can understand some roster disappointment it really isn't quite as bad as some peoples hyperbole implies, plus surely most peoples favourites have been in for some time anyway unless your really a fan of some of the lower characters on the totem pole (in this case for me Dosu would be the tits but that ain't happening anytime soon). I'm also fine with the few pre time skip characters since it gets Kimimaro in at least.
That said the Edo Kages omission comes across as very odd since in the story mode they appear to be fully functioning characters, all I really noted as missing were ultimate jutsu if i'm not mistaken, either they're only partly complete so they were left out of being outright playable or the nickle and diming DLC train will be chugging into the station sometime in the near future. Then again 2nd Mizukage was a menace to me in the single player, maybe i'm relived he's not playable, bloody homing water!

I've yet to try online, what brief time I spent with Storm 2's online wasn't actually too bad but i'm not entirely optimistic here, for as much as some lament the roster I can easily see people just all gravitating to a small handful of characters online anyway, probably all Uchiha clan members, I guess i'll find out at some point.

Overall this is another storm game all right, I have to believe that most of us are really here for the flashiness and the Naruto fan service more than say an actual deep fighter, in which case this game does its job well. I'd perhaps be a bit harder on it if i'd played the filler game that was Generations but it'll do well replacing Storm 2 in my local multiplayer outings, it's not really much of a jump forwards and it takes some steps back in the single player but I felt that this was pretty fun for what it is (clumsy finale aside).

sephi22

Really? What new tricks does Kabuto has? Any vids :D

I wish he could had summoned Manda 2.0, since it's the biggest summon in the series besides *SPOILER*
the juubi
I though it would had make for a cool Ougi, his regular Ougi should just be a normal grab.

I love the avatar. That's a twist on the xkcd comic right?

Thanks, is actually from C&H. I changed it because of the new Daft Punk Album.

zeUMg4O.png

Smilax

What's everyone opinion on online matches? I've played a couple of Casual battles with randoms, it's laggy lol.

Georgious

Banned
Where are you located? I'm in NYC, if anybody wants to play online - I haven't tried yet. I just unlocked EMS Sasuke, which I THINK is the final unlockable.

Smilax

Where are you located? I'm in NYC, if anybody wants to play online - I haven't tried yet. I just unlocked EMS Sasuke, which I THINK is the final unlockable.

I live in Texas, but I don't have the best internet connection. It's not bad, but it's not very good. I'm currently doing alright in a Casual Tournament against randoms. It's pretty fun. Also I think EMS Sasuke is the last unlock, but I could be wrong.

Neonsands

Neo Member
Really? What new tricks does Kabuto has? Any vids :D

I wish he could had summoned Manda 2.0, since it's the biggest summon in the series besides *SPOILER*
the juubi
I though it would had make for a cool Ougi, his regular Ougi should just be a normal grab.

Well, I never played Generations, so the whole snake cloak version is new to me. Different from generations, both Kabutos have varying moves available for their awakenings. Snake cloak gets Orochimaru's jutsu, and regular Kabuto gets a new form of chakra blade attack.

Georgious

Banned
Well then maybe you shouldn't be sucking if you're aiming for the highest rank possible :)

It really wasn't that difficult if you played smart. Maybe the rest of the game's difficulty made you a bit soft, since it was so damn easy up until the last chapter. But complaining that you can't easily attain an "S Rank" on the last bosses is kind of stupid.

What's everyone opinion on online matches? I've played a couple of Casual battles with randoms, it's laggy lol.

I just gave it a shot, a few bits of lag but nothing major though I stuck to my region, but I lost 7 matches and won once so yeah, but hey I had fun regardless and every match had a different character (though Team Uchiha was my first match as I had feared).
I suck and have let down Lord Danzo, also my one attempt at using Shikamaru reminds me that despite being my favourite character I never enjoy playing as him in any of these games.

IJoel

Finally finished the game. It was quite enjoyable, but it dragged at some points. Also, can some of you putting spoilers indicate when the spoiler is for the manga? I just read a manga spoiler. :(

The last boss battle was terrible with
the huge tailed beasts

I like the Uchiha Clan, Itachi has been my favorite character since he was introduced. He seems kind of weak in this game though. I wish he had Tsukuyomi(sp?) as an Awakening like in the first Storm.

Seik

Banned
That's not what actually happens in the manga.

I know, I read all the new chapters each weeks, that's why I'm saying: WTF?!

It's surprising how much CC2 chose to fuck the story up in so many ways without redeeming.

In Storm 2 the modifications to the story were in a more 'Ultimate Ninja Storm' awesome way, for example: when
Jiraiya dies he does a giant bad-ass rasengan to redeem one of the Pains scene they didn't make, or the Naruto vs Sasuke fight at Oro's hideout which is way more insane than the real thing
, but this time it's like, when it's not exactly like the story, it's just...less. Except for the
Kages vs Madara
fight, this one was insane.

Madara and Tobi fleeing after defeat? No Obito reveal? Everyone's happy after this?
It's so inaccurate it hurts.

I know they had to find a way to stop it at this point because the anime isn't there yet but man, even a black screen right after
Tobi's mask broke
with a big ''To be continued'' would have felt better than this stuff.

Storm 2 nailed it, it had perfect balance between gameplay/cutscenes. I'm disappointed how Storm 3 ended up, it's not bad, but it's clearly inferior to me. Plus it missed some awesome boss fight opportunities and fucked up many story events, there's too many censored stuff as well. The only major censored thing I spotted it Storm 2 was Jiraiya's arm not being cut against Pain.

I think this game has potential to be a good fighter but they always fucking shit uo. Whats up with awakenings??? Take that shit out the game, how can I be beating someones ass and they do awakening on me. DEIDARA! Wtf you use the fucking dragon theres no way I can fight a whole big ass clay dragon normally. Its in the air so then its even difficult to even hit! Especially like someone with tsunade. I cant grab the dragon...I cant ultimate the dragon, I can throw shuriken at the dragon..CC2 needs to find serious balance and its not just awakening either. The whole let me drain your substitutions goal every wants to do is completely tiresome and sometimes even boring. Im constantly chakra dashing you mashing B to finish them and then what spam B? Big deal. There needs to be actual combos not just mash be put in more inputs like the budokai series to make it more worthwhile and skillful.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I know, I read all the new chapters each weeks, that's why I'm saying: WTF?!

It's surprising how much CC2 chose to fuck the story up in so many ways without redeeming.

In Storm 2 the modifications to the story were in a more 'Ultimate Ninja Storm' awesome way, for example: when
Jiraiya dies he does a giant bad-ass rasengan to redeem one of the Pains scene they didn't make, or the Naruto vs Sasuke fight at Oro's hideout which is way more insane than the real thing
, but this time it's like, when it's not exactly like the story, it's just...less. Except for the
Kages vs Madara
fight, this one was insane.

Madara and Tobi fleeing after defeat? No Obito reveal? Everyone's happy after this?
It's so inaccurate it hurts.

I know they had to find a way to stop it at this point because the anime isn't there yet but man, even a black screen right after
Tobi's mask broke
with a big ''To be continued'' would have felt better than this stuff.

Storm 2 nailed it, it had perfect balance between gameplay/cutscenes. I'm disappointed how Storm 3 ended up, it's not bad, but it's clearly inferior to me. Plus it missed some awesome boss fight opportunities and fucked up many story events, there's too many censored stuff as well. The only major censored thing I spotted it Storm 2 was Jiraiya's arm not being cut against Pain.

Storm 3 came out 3 months too early :p

WalkMan

Banned
So I don't understand what the point of having world exploration at all if the only time you can explore it is when the story is complete. During the story it feels like the exploration segments are just cobbled together as weak glue between fights.

So I don't understand what the point of having world exploration at all if the only time you can explore it is when the story is complete. During the story it feels like the exploration segments are just cobbled together as weak glue between fights.

Seems like a work around to give the player enough of a break from dialogue and cut scenes to mess with Ninja Storyline/Save progress.

Aru

Is the Asia version identical to the other releases? In terms of audio languages and subtitles, I mean. I need japanese VO and english subtitles at least.

Play-Asia is the cheapest option for me right now but only for the asian version.

Felt like its just to give us time to save between the long scenes and give some really brief clips of anime screencaps, which at least through my time with chapter have been really pleasing with Sasunaru moments.

Skilletor

I always hated the open single player modes in these games. They're horribly put together and unfun. I would much rather just go from fight to fight with cutscenes inbetween.

I couldn't care less about running around Konoha, especially when it's done in such a boring way. I think Storm 1 had the funnest traversal (that was the one that wasn't prerendered backdrops, right?) because of being able to dash everywhere. What kind of ninja just runs normally from place to place? Gimme some flashes and teleports.

Dragoshi1

Beat it two days ago, and SCREW THE FINAL CHAPTER.

Also, Used Yugito online against a spam happy Deidara with Itachi and Pain supports. The guy's Itachi support was infuriating, since it more or less homed in quickly and did a lot of damage, and the guy was spamming Deidara projectiles and Itachi, since I only had Yugito plus Kimimaro and Sasori supports, I had to be defensive. He got me to the point where I can use Awakening, and he had 70% HP left.

So, I used her tilt, which is pretty good, and cornered him, and got my awakening activated, and got him from 70% all the way to 0% HP. Yugito's awakening knocks down people, and chakra projectile does a lot of damage, won with 1% HP left. I was on the edge of my seat, felt so satisfying.

Half the people I fight don't use their character's tilt, even though it would give them an advantage. Like Bee's Samehada tilt, chakra dashers always run into that.

I might go get this today. I usually get these games on PS3 but would welcome any breakdown of which version is better.
360 version has framerate issues during musou sections and whenever too many characters (like supports) are on screen in fights. PS3 version does too but to a lesser extent.

Are tilt attacks new to this game or have they always been around?
Theyve been around since the first iirc. I can definitely say they were in storm 2.

Dragoshi1

Are tilt attacks new to this game or have they always been around?

The only way to know about them is to view the command list, as the game itself never informs of it.

I'd assume tilt was in Generations, as Naruto's tilt involves throwing his clones, and that's the first time I saw it happen.

Georgious

Banned
Beat it two days ago, and SCREW THE FINAL CHAPTER.

Also, Used Yugito online against a spam happy Deidara with Itachi and Pain supports. The guy's Itachi support was infuriating, since it more or less homed in quickly and did a lot of damage, and the guy was spamming Deidara projectiles and Itachi, since I only had Yugito plus Kimimaro and Sasori supports, I had to be defensive. He got me to the point where I can use Awakening, and he had 70% HP left.

So, I used her tilt, which is pretty good, and cornered him, and got my awakening activated, and got him from 70% all the way to 0% HP. Yugito's awakening knocks down people, and chakra projectile does a lot of damage, won with 1% HP left. I was on the edge of my seat, felt so satisfying.

Half the people I fight don't use their character's tilt, even though it would give them an advantage. Like Bee's Samehada tilt, chakra dashers always run into that.

That sounds intense - I love fights like these. I've started to use the tilt more, they're just so random when you're experimenting with new characters. You never know what to expect

I loved the second game and this weekend played this new one with my cousin, the fighting feels much better and more balanced for sure (but it is still early days for online) and I seen the first hour or so of the story, game looks as great as ever.

But it sounds like it's taken a few wrong turns somewhere in the story, i'll play it when I get around to buying it but i'm not hyped for it like the second game.

Skilletor

360 version has framerate issues during musou sections and whenever too many characters (like supports) are on screen in fights. PS3 version does too but to a lesser extent.

Theyve been around since the first iirc. I can definitely say they were in storm 2.

The only way to know about them is to view the command list, as the game itself never informs of it.

I'd assume tilt was in Generations, as Naruto's tilt involves throwing his clones, and that's the first time I saw it happen.

Damn, lol. I never knew.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I really hope they do something with this, and Ginkaku & Kinkaku. At least DLC. I would buy those characters. Very surprised all of them weren't on the roster, especially the Edo Kages, considering they had full move lists during the storyline.

Same here. Those characters plus remain of 7 Swordsmen of Mist.

Whelp.
Chapter 4 came along and moved me
even though i'd already been moved by it in the manga..

Well done CC2, That alone would have justified my purchase.
If only the rest of the game followed this storytelling method -__-

walking to each plot location and getting loading screens after every section slows the game to a crawl.

I spent all Sunday afternoon absorbed in local multiplayer, I bow to the limited substitution system, it's made things so much more interesting for me.

Georgious

Banned
I spent all Sunday afternoon absorbed in local multiplayer, I bow to the limited substitution system, it's made things so much more interesting for me.

Yeah they had this in Generations as well - gamechanger.

Did the same - had an olympic run with a friend yesterday. Both of us started on opposite corners of the roster and worked our way in. Two hours in and we still didn't crossed characters yet!
Absolutely love the variety of move sets in this game.

Mdeezy

I really hope they do something with this, and Ginkaku & Kinkaku. At least DLC. I would buy those characters. Very surprised all of them weren't on the roster, especially the Edo Kages, considering they had full move lists during the storyline.

This is the main reason why I didnt buy this game. Im sick of franchises not adding things to games simply because they wanna save it for the next game. Gin/Kin, 7 swordsmen and edo kages all got their hands dirty in Naruto so why the hell arent they selectable?! No one wants to play as Karin but yet she gets in. W T F

Lagunamov

I got my review copy today (xbox), it's strange because namco sent me the code for 5 extra costumes but they didn't send me the goku one. If anybody has one, please pm me.

Top Bottom