• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto Shippuden UNS: Generations |OT| Why is Shizune support only?

Mr. Fix

I really enjoyed the last one, even though I don't know anything about the actual show.
The "adventure" elements were nice. Too bad that's gone.

Is there still the quick time event things at the end of big fights? Those were by far my favourite part of the game.

I really wish CC2 went the Asura's Wrath route with this, but oh well. I'm not sure I want to get into a pure fighter for a series I don't know much about. Will the story from the game alone be enough for me? Or is it more made for existing fans of the series and wouldn't make any sense to someone who's only experience with the franchise is UNS2?

From what I know, if you've played the demo, the "campaign" pretty much plays out like that, with anime cutscenes thrown into the mix. It's just fight after fight.

Zabuza

Banned
I'm only halfway through the first Naruto series, so I can't play this yet!! I did get some stuff spoiled though. Naruto becomes Hokage?!

Georgious

Banned
Man, no more Adventure mode OR QTE battles? I've been looking forward to this game for a long time, but I'm 80% less excited now...

Is there ANY unlocking single player mode?

d0c_zaius

I finished playing through this last night (in one sitting pretty much cause I was loving it) the SP campaign was about 11hrs or so with some tough battles, but most were easy. The damage modifiers the AI gets can be a little crazy (+80%), but nothing was impossible.

I really really like the lack of QTE and boss fights. It makes the game feel like a really nice focused fighting game. The pace of the fights is smooth and fast, with no butonmashy cutscenes getting in the way. Cutscenes are handled like SF4 and SFXT, so theres nothing to prolonged.

I've played all the CC2 Naruto games, and this is definitely my favorite. It feels like a refined version of everything from the beginning up until a nice set up (if they choose to do another with this style, I hope they do). With the assists and more focused pace, the game feels like a speedy mix of a melee mvc3 with the smoothest animation I've ever seen in a fighting game. No doubt, this game has the prettiest animation I've ever seen. It's not that its amazingly better than the previous versions, but now that all of the gameplay is based on responses from the button presses and not predetermined whatever, it just flows so naturally well.

The anime cutscenes are clean and nice for the most part (some look off). They go through a lot of content through a lot of perspectives, so some may not like how some big moments are brief while others are touched on multiple times. I also really liked some of the other stories, and all of them having intro/outro cutscenes plus full dialogue was really nice. The are 3 in particular that are really cool fanservice stories that I'm sure some people have been looking forward to seeing.

I wasn't expecting more than just a rehash with some new characters, and its like they took out all the stuff I didnt want and finally made a fighting game that captures the pace and feel of the anime perfectly.

I guess I am alone in being happy that they didnt put any QTE in it at all. its what I always wanted and now I finally have it. It'll be interesting to see how it holds up as far as online goes, but SP and training mode took me away from SFXT and SC5. good job cc2!!!!

Man, no more Adventure mode OR QTE battles? I've been looking forward to this game for a long time, but I'm 80% less excited now...

Is there ANY unlocking single player mode?

all the characters are unlocked through SP. I actually like the story mode a lot this time versus the other games. Seeing all the different perspectives is a really good idea.

Thanks for spending the time to write that. Im definitely looking forward to this (although I have my fingers in Asura's Wrath, SSX, and SFXTekken... NOT ENOUGH TIME!). I enjoyed the first well enough, but absolutely loved UNS2 although I didnt mess with the online multi.

Sai

So, you can pick Itachi with his Storm 1 moves, right? What's his Awakening now? What does it do?

[EDIT] - I'm seeing Mangekyou Sharingan on Narutopedia. Is it like Taka Sasuke's Awakening, then?

PK Gaming

Storm 1 Itachi still has his NUNS2 attack moveset, grab and awakening. The only differences are his Ougi (Tsukuyomi) & Jutsu (super clone exploding jutsu thingy... thing)

IMO that is the best version of Itachi since he has all 3 of the Mangekyou Sharingan jutsus.

Skilletor

I finished playing through this last night (in one sitting pretty much cause I was loving it) the SP campaign was about 11hrs or so with some tough battles, but most were easy. The damage modifiers the AI gets can be a little crazy (+80%), but nothing was impossible.

I really really like the lack of QTE and boss fights. It makes the game feel like a really nice focused fighting game. The pace of the fights is smooth and fast, with no butonmashy cutscenes getting in the way. Cutscenes are handled like SF4 and SFXT, so theres nothing to prolonged.

I've played all the CC2 Naruto games, and this is definitely my favorite. It feels like a refined version of everything from the beginning up until a nice set up (if they choose to do another with this style, I hope they do). With the assists and more focused pace, the game feels like a speedy mix of a melee mvc3 with the smoothest animation I've ever seen in a fighting game. No doubt, this game has the prettiest animation I've ever seen. It's not that its amazingly better than the previous versions, but now that all of the gameplay is based on responses from the button presses and not predetermined whatever, it just flows so naturally well.

The anime cutscenes are clean and nice for the most part (some look off). They go through a lot of content through a lot of perspectives, so some may not like how some big moments are brief while others are touched on multiple times. I also really liked some of the other stories, and all of them having intro/outro cutscenes plus full dialogue was really nice. The are 3 in particular that are really cool fanservice stories that I'm sure some people have been looking forward to seeing.

I wasn't expecting more than just a rehash with some new characters, and its like they took out all the stuff I didnt want and finally made a fighting game that captures the pace and feel of the anime perfectly.

I guess I am alone in being happy that they didnt put any QTE in it at all. its what I always wanted and now I finally have it. It'll be interesting to see how it holds up as far as online goes, but SP and training mode took me away from SFXT and SC5. good job cc2!!!!

all the characters are unlocked through SP. I actually like the story mode a lot this time versus the other games. Seeing all the different perspectives is a really good idea.

I hate that you keep getting things before me :(.

Buying two of these tomorrow, one for my bro and one for me. :D

Nice wrtiteup! I am excite!!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
From what I know, if you've played the demo, the "campaign" pretty much plays out like that, with anime cutscenes thrown into the mix. It's just fight after fight.

The game got worse and worse with each iteration for me (because the adventure part got less and less important in the game)... even though it kept adding characters, kept progressing in the story, and upgraded the fighting engine.
Without an adventure mode the game is really not that appealing to me. There is the anime and manga for the story and I am not interested in a pure fighter while I would have liked a game with both aspects in. UNS 1 had SO much promise.

Sai

I thought everybody got these games for the purdy graphics, animation, 'n QTEs. First time I ever saw somebody likin' Storm 1 for the half-baked adventure hub.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I thought everybody got these games for the purdy graphics, animation, 'n QTEs. First time I ever saw somebody likin' Storm 1 for the half-baked adventure hub.

It had promise, it was not perfect, but it was a step in the right direction. I liked UNS 1 over the Naruto games on Xbox 360 because of the fighting in 3D for example... again something closer to a 3D adventure/fighter game. Of course, I like its animation and graphics a lot too ;).

The lack of 3 in the title made me think that this is just a quick cash in to hold fans of the off until the manga is done with the current arc. The lack of QTE bosses and adventure mode just confirmed this.

Gazzawa

The lack of 3 in the title made me think that this is just a quick cash in to hold fans of the off until the manga is done with the current arc. The lack of QTE bosses and adventure mode just confirmed this.

I'm with ya bro. Did you play the demo? Nothing to go crazy over.

I'm with ya bro. Did you play the demo? Nothing to go crazy over.

Yeah I was expecting a nice boss battle in the demo like they did with UNS2 and we got nothing but a regular exibaton match. The game plays as good as ever but no adventure or special boss battles make it seem like its just a tide over title till the proper UNS 3 comes out.

Gazzawa

Yeah I was expecting a nice boss battle in the demo like they did with UNS2 and we got nothing but a regular exibaton match. The game plays as good as ever but no adventure or special boss battles make it seem like its just a tide over title till the proper UNS 3 comes out.

Or a way of fixing the online to get some sort of community momemtum for UNS3. We won't see that game till the manga ends tho. So maybe next year. I agree the fighting is still dope but boss battles were a nice climax to each chapter. Wasn't a fan of the adventure mode- fight after fight is a "better" solution but not the best.

Wait for bomba price!

MrPliskin

Banned
Remove the QTE's and massive boss fights and its higher than Storm 1 and 2, thats shocking. Unless people really disliked going around the village and world much.
Different people have different opinions, that's shocking.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this one. I want to bite because of the alternate story stuff.

Skilletor

Remove the QTE's and massive boss fights and its higher than Storm 1 and 2, thats shocking. Unless people really disliked going around the village and world much.

I hated it. I like fighting games. I've watched the anime, so the only draw of story mode was seeing the epic battles.

This, along with the changes in the combat system, will probably make this game my favorite in the series.

Edit: Awesome. Unlocked 20 characters for having save data from the first two games!

YESSSSSSS!

Dysun

I dont see the attraction of running around the ninja world. It was all static and boring, like a Final Fantasy overworld without any of the good stuff. Felt like padding to me

The QTE boss battles were pretty good though.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I dont see the attraction of running around the ninja world. It was all static and boring, like a Final Fantasy overworld without any of the good stuff. Felt like padding to me

The QTE boss battles were pretty good though.

It was not perfect, but I think it was worth improving it rather than turning the series into a pure fighter.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I hated it. I like fighting games. I've watched the anime, so the only draw of story mode was seeing the epic battles.

Sigh... I am sorry if it sounds like a personal message against you (it really is not) , but things like this make me think about a trend I see in some movies recently too... dialogue, plot development, background, adventure, discovery, etc... are all worthless... the only thing important is action.

Skilletor

Sigh... I am sorry if it sounds like a personal message against you (it really is not) , but things like this make me think about a trend I see in some movies recently too... dialogue, plot development, background, adventure, discovery, etc... are all worthless... the only thing important is action.

They're not worthless. I've been reading and watching Naruto for 10 years. I've seen and read all of it and have no interest in sitting through a really bad adventure mode just for the sake of there being one. If I wanted an adventure game, or any of those things, I would get them in another way (books, movies, etc). This is a fighting game and that's what I want.

The adventure modes in 1 and 2 were tedious and boring. They got in the way of doing what I wanted, which is fighting. Sucks for people who like adventure mode. But, you know, if that's important to you...don't buy this game. Or better yet, buy an adventure game that's actually good at having adventure.

Acosta

I'm with you Panajev, is really disappointing. Instead of building over that they are just cutting it and loosing the potencial. Lack of final bosses, added to the short Oujis make this game much less interesting for me. I have more than enough fighting games to play, what I want for this is an anime flavoured combat game with some of the extra craziness CyberConnect2 tends to put (I guess it´s a drawback of running two projects at the same time).

I will probably pass on this or buy on sale.

frequency

The adventure mode was kind of boring. But I always hoped that it would be improved in future games.

I care way more about the QTE finishes though. Those were really cool.

I'm not a fan of the anime though (I just played the last two because I'm a CC2 fan). So I don't know how valid my opinions are.
I was looking forward to this because I liked UNS2. But if it's just fighting, and I'm not a fan of the anime, I'm not sure there is much for me here.

Just shows how everyone is different I guess.

I find just fighting games completely boring and played out now, I'll be sick of it quickly. I would much prefer to have an awesome adventure mode to run around and explore a world I already really love from the show. Not saying the Ninja Storm games provided this (far from it), just my personal wishing.

Always comes back to this but, I guess I'll never get over the Ubisoft Xbox 360 games it seems, such fun. :(

Mix up the adventuring with fights still obviously and the cool CS battles and you'd have me drooling.

Unless they want to give me a new Smash Bros. type one, then I'm allllllllllllllllllll for it!

its actually not as bad as i was afraid it would be, i'm not missing the adventure mode but i do miss the BOSS BATTLES, its like Asuras wrath sucked some of the awesome out of CC2..i still miss the Sound 4..a HUGE missed opportunity for a story mode of Shikamaru's team against the sound 5.. B-Fly Choji would have been Glorious... but then again i also wanted the demon bro's and Dosu's team..they each represented growth.

d0c_zaius

I hate that you keep getting things before me :(.

Buying two of these tomorrow, one for my bro and one for me. :D

Nice wrtiteup! I am excite!!

haha its one of the few perks of my area.

You get ps3 version? I'm thinking of resubbing my xbl....

I already mentioned this in my impressions, but no QTEs and boss fights = PERFECT NARUTO GAME

haha its one of the few perks of my area.

You get ps3 version? I'm thinking of resubbing my xbl....

I already mentioned this in my impressions, but no QTEs and boss fights = PERFECT NARUTO GAME

For YOU, but overall, thats factually wrong, i'd agree if you said:

"PERFECT NARUTO FIGHTING GAME"..

not everyone is into online versus, and not all naruto fans are fighting game fans..

if it wasn't for the Single player free play mode, i wouldn't recommend this game to non-fighting game fans, the Boss battles are what made UNS1/2 fun to play despite the tedious adventure modes.

Skilletor

not everyone is into online versus, and not all naruto fans are fighting game fans..

if it wasn't for the Single player free play mode, i wouldn't recommend this game to non-fighting game fans, the Boss battles are what made UNS1/2 fun to play despite the tedious adventure modes.

Opinions can't be facts. Either one would be wrong if you say fact. But it's true for doc and me. For example, I'm playing the first story and about to skip this stupid anime cutscene that looks like filler episodes.
I wouldn't recommend this to non-fighting game fans, either. It is a fighting game, afterall.

Doc: Yep, ps3. we shall play. Uchihas and Haku > whoever you want to use, unless it's haku or uchihas.

I wouldn't recommend this to non-fighting game fans, either. It is a fighting game, afterall.

PK Gaming

It took my like 7 hours to unlock Kisame ;_;

Awesome game, I like how you actually have to approach the opponent in order to get big damage.

Georgious

Banned
Anybody else think Obito's pouches look like two giant ass cheeks?

Just sayin...

So far great game. Kinda missing the town exploration and QTEs to be honest though.

d0c_zaius

I was speaking for myself, not everyone obviously. Also I was only speaking of the offline content, I haven't played online yet.

I've played all minus 2 of the naruto games on consoles, and I dont need to run around leaf village collecting coins anymore. Seeing all the villages of that scope would be nice sure, but I'd rather have them focus on the meat of any naruto game (the combat mechanics/animation).

What made UNS1/2 fun was the combat, not gimmicky boss battles. I'm buying a game for the gameplay. If I want interactive cutscenes I'll play Asuras Wrath (which is good, I'm not hating).

This is not the perfect Naruto fighting game.

That will always be Naruto GNT 4 on Gamecube.

The boss battles and the QTEs are what made UNS, surprised they took them out. UNS combat has never been that great.

I love and play old fighting games all the time, but there is always room to improve. I'm surprised to see people missing QTEs though, really surprised. I don't know why you think the combat has never been that great, when its already based on a good system from the ps2 games.

They made changes to projectile and countering, the assists feel better and more useful, the pacing of the fights is great (for me, perfect even). I brought it to work and the controls plus imagery immediately pushed aside SFxT and SC5.

Kusagari

The boss battles and the QTEs are what made UNS, surprised they took them out. UNS combat has never been that great.

Skilletor

Nawp, hated them aside from how awesome they looked. Always wanted a game I could pick up and play doing cool looking shit with my favorite anime characters. So happy I don't have to bother with some horrible, tacked on adventure mode to progress through the game now. What makes the game for me is that it is based on a manga I like. The improvements to the battle system in this make it a lot better.

Khezu

I mostly enjoyed the UNS games for the graphics and boss battles.

I like fighting games a lot, but never found the combat engine in these games all that compelling. The adventure mode was pretty ass though. The ubisoft naruto games did it much better, though they got a bit repetitive.

Also this never occurred to me until now, why the hell was ubisoft making naruto games?

Top Bottom