• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naruto UNS Revolution to 'attract hardcore fighting game audience'

No, the problem with the games is that they're extremely simplistic with little balance of which to speak. I wouldn't care if it were stuck in part 1 if the games had solid gameplay.

I just want to do a
Sage Art: Lava Rasenshuriken
on some fools..

make rise of a ninja 2 and i will think of it
man, that game was really good

They did make one. It's called Broken Bond. They should totally make a third one though.

Seriously though, CC2 should just move on to next gen already. Wanna see what they can do with new hardware.

sure, that's a noble cause. i don't see it being that effective but there's certainly a market for naruto fighters if the cons i've gone to are indicative.

GrayFoxPL

Well, that much was on Hudson, who later got swallowed up by Konami.

...And well, we already know what it is when it comes to Konami.

Wait, Konami has BR license?

Fuuuck.

8ing are the most underrated fighting game dev anyway, they could've make a new ip on PS4 that would destroy minds.

If someone lend them the money.

Tecl0n

So, NOTHING like the other Storm games? Are they really going to have such a big change on a non numbered entry?

SoulUnison

Banned
Listen to this guy, Bamco...

Yeah, listen to this guy.
Bring back that game series you had nothing to do with, Namco-Bandai!

EDIT:
Things they really need to fix:
Air Dash spamming (Why is this so much better than ground dashing? This isn't even a series where characters fly. There's something like 2 characters out of 100 that have flight abilities, and one of those two uses outside assistance to do it.)

Instant Awakening Infinite Loops (Characters with IA abilities are just plain better than character without, as they can use IA to continue combos indefinitely until a guard break with no risk of retaliation, or to turn around and abuse a substitution without spending energy or using a substitution of their own.)

Certain Transformation Awakenings (Eternal Mangekyo Sasuke's Susano'o awakening is absolute bullshit. If it catches you in an attack the user can just keep mashing the O button endlessly, and you can't do anything about it. Its default combo is either *designed* to be substitution-proof or it's glitched in a way that escape is literally impossible.)

Content missing from previous installments (Characters used to have 4 ground combos, then suddenly, with Generations, all characters only had 3. Apparently because Namco just didn't feel like doing full movesets for the new characters, so they cut moves from every single old character to not make it as glaring and obvious. There's also how they removed stages and music between Generations and Storm 3 for no apparent reason.)

Like others have said, I would love a Naruto game that had like 10-20 characters, if it was complex and each character had their own playstyle and combos. But The Storm series is pretty much the antithesis to that, so I dont know how they could even think of trying to say this.

That said, if they do manage to make it remotely as good as they're saying, then I'll certainly be interested.

TreIII

Like others have said, I would love a Naruto game that had like 10-20 characters, if it was complex and each character had their own playstyle and combos. But The Storm series is pretty much the antithesis to that, so I dont know how they could even think of trying to say this.

That said, if they do manage to make it remotely as good as they're saying, then I'll certainly be interested.

The only way I could see things changing is if they called in ByKing (Gundam Vs.) and got their help to make a Naruto arena fighting game in the 2v2 style. Now, that's a game that has plenty of characters, but lots of depth, as well.

DedValve

Banned
I love the series for the beautiful animation and graphics but the shallow gameplay burns me out much faster than it should. I want to believe.

At least give me back team (actual cinematic) ultimate jutsus and cinematic intros, custom intros and outros, ability to use more than 1 jutsu in battle and longer ultimate jutsus!

SoulUnison

Banned
I'm not liking some of the changes we've seen so far to the base battle system, either, and if they're apparently changing the formula even more than that I'm worried.

Apparently now you select between Ultimate, Awakening or Support type before battle, kind of distantly related to the "Grooves" from some Capcom fighting games.

Ultimate Type is the only type that can use Ultimates. (Basically Hyper Combos.)
Awakening Type is the only type that can use Awakenings.
Support Type is the only style that can use offensive and defensive auto-abilities from their back-up characters.

Basically they took the options you've had available to you at anytime for the last 4 games and made it so that you have to select which third of the battle system you want to have available to you at any given time. To me this means that you're going to be constantly limited in your options and that opponents are always going to know each other's strategies.

There's never going to be a "What will he do next? How will he react?" or "Maybe if I do this I'll catch him off guard." anymore, because the game is going to tell you right on the versus screen "This player has decided to bet everything on A/B/C."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et38EnkieNA

DedValve

Banned
I'm not liking some of the changes we've seen so far to the base battle system, either, and if they're apparently changing the formula even more than that I'm worried.

Apparently now you select between Ultimate, Awakening or Support type before battle, kind of distantly related to the "Grooves" from some Capcom fighting games.

Ultimate Type is the only type that can use Ultimates. (Basically Hyper Combos.)
Support Type is the only style that can use offensive and defensive auto-abilities from their back-up characters.

Basically they took the options you've had available to you at anytime for the last 4 games and made it so that you have to select which third of the battle system you want to have available to you at any given time.

What. The. Fuck.

Xevren

I have some friends that play these all the time, I love fighters but I'm just not interested in them all that much. So good luck with all that.

SoulUnison

Banned
I'm also worried what these new "styles" mean for Singles mode.

I've never cared for Team Battle in the Storm games because people online tend to just select whatever the 2 most beneficial supports are regardless of how much sense it makes, and then they just spam and turtle to victory. With 2 players each having two supports the battlefield just becomes a clusterfuck way too easily. But, how would, say, Support Type translate to a mode where you don't have supports? Even Ultimate Type, which you'd think would be usable when fighting solo, apparently depends on calling supports to fills its "energy gauge."

Also, a big part of the new game is combination attacks and Ultimates, which I imagine just won't exist in a Singles mode, if there is one.

I'm *really* worried about the direction this game is going in.

I honestly would have been happy with Storm 3 but with more and updated characters, stages and music. This seems like they're shaking the game up for no reason to the point it's going to just die in its crib.

There's a distinct lack of synergy in the way the game seems to be coming together.

Because we have to support both beginners who like anime and Naruto, and hardcore gamers, we're not considering making the button inputs more complicated.

It should be noted that the combo system for every character is as follows:

1) X
2) XX
3) XXX
4) XXXX
5) XXXXX
6) XXXXXX
7) XXXXXX+X
8) XXXXXX+XX
9) XXXXXX+XXX

Directional inputs+x don't even alter your moves like Smash. This is the level of complexity they are trying to avoid. That will never appeal to anyone other than the most hardcore of Naruto fans who are simply happy to get a Naruto game and really don't care at all whether said game is good or bad. It's Naruto therefore it's Tony the Tiger.

The 360 games were better fighting games than these are and those games were completely broken.

SoulUnison

Banned
It should be noted that the combo system for every character is as follows:

1) X
2) XX
3) XXX
4) XXXX
5) XXXXX
6) XXXXXX
7) XXXXXX+X
8) XXXXXX+XX
9) XXXXXX+XXX

Directional inputs+x don't even alter your moves like Smash. This is the level of complexity they are trying to avoid. That will never appeal to anyone other than the most hardcore of Naruto fans who are simply happy to get a Naruto game and really don't care at all whether said game is good or bad. It's Naruto therefore it's Tony the Tiger.

The 360 games were better fighting games than these are and those games were completely broken.

Directional inputs do affect your combo strings. That's why the differences between strings are which direction you hold the analog stick in mid combo. There's also the "tilt" combos, which are specifically done by flicking the analog stick, sort of like a smash attack.

The 360 games were fantastic adventure games, but their battle system was embarrassingly awkward. It basically came down to "who can knock the enemy in the air first and then abuse the way gravity works?" The way the battles were constantly interrupted by mini-games that just plain didn't work over the latency of an internet connection was also aggravating.

koryuken

Basically they took the options you've had available to you at anytime for the last 4 games and made it so that you have to select which third of the battle system you want to have available to you at any given time. To me this means that you're going to be constantly limited in your options and that opponents are always going to know each other's strategies.

There's never going to be a "What will he do next? How will he react?" or "Maybe if I do this I'll catch him off guard." anymore, because the game is going to tell you right on the versus screen "This player has decided to bet everything on A/B/C."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et38EnkieNA

This is fucking stupid. I've played most of the Ninja Storm games and I somewhat enjoyed them. If anything, they should copy the hell out of UMVC3. I mean, this game screams for 3 v 3 battles (not bullshit support, actual 3 v 3).

Gbraga

I'm watching some JoJo combo videos. God, that game is BEAUTIFUL. What's wrong with it? I wish they could make a good JoJo fighiting game with decent online, it would be so best.

That'd be cool but I doubt it'll happen

Yeah, that's how I feel.

ec0ec0

ahahahaha... we dont even need a discusion about this. Everyone here that has played other naruto games (made by other developers in the past) knows that this series is the opposite of a hardcore fighting game. Games like naruto gekitou ninja taisen 4 (i love it) were not hardcore fighting games at all, but at least they tried. Time has only helped to make naruto games look better and go further in the story, but they are not just worse games, they are bad.

I'm watching some JoJo combo videos. God, that game is BEAUTIFUL. What's wrong with it?

30 frames per second.

On initial release the game was also riddled with dumb easy infinites, and the game is still pretty slow and simplistic, but 30fps is a death sentence for a fighting game being able to be good (see also the Naruto games).

The 360 games were fantastic adventure games, but their battle system was embarrassingly awkward. It basically came down to "who can knock the enemy in the air first and then abuse the way gravity works?" The way the battles were constantly interrupted by mini-games that just plain didn't work over the latency of an internet connection was also aggravating.

That's a bit of an overstatement imo. The rest is the "completely broken" part I mentioned. Had they had another iteration I think they could have gotten somewhere nice. The second game fixed a lot of the "first to knock you in the air" issues by adding air blocks/combo break along with the fact that at least no everyone can knock the opponent in the air rather than that being something only a few people could do. But in exchange for no more knock you in the air based gameplay they did something wonky where sometimes sidestepping doesn't count (you'll see the character flinch like the input was registered but then they stay still like the game is being told to just ignore it) as well adding in the wonderful idea that certain characters should be able to instantly stun someone (which isn't all that bad on it's own) and then be able to restun them while stunned.

Still a better fighter than NUNS though.

Skilletor

How awesome would it be if they put a legit fighting game developer behind one of these licensed franchises? Persona is one great example. Imagine ASW making a Naruto game? #drool

I wish the treasure bleach games had gotten a console port.

Gbraga

30 frames per second.
Are you kidding me? WHY???

I can understand it for the Naruto games, but for a JoJo 2D Fighting Game? Seriously?

It sure is pretty, but definitely not worth it.

On initial release the game was also riddled with dumb easy infinites, and the game is still pretty slow and simplistic, but 30fps is a death sentence for a fighting game being able to be good (see also the Naruto games).

It did seem pretty slow.

ec0ec0

How awesome would it be if they put a legit fighting game developer behind one of these licensed franchises? Persona is one great example. Imagine ASW making a Naruto game? #drool

ASW... everyone would trust them, i will.

Are you kidding me? WHY???
Maruyama noted that the game is not a fighting game, it's a JoJo game. One of the results of this is that the team is going for 30 frames per second. The CC2 team felt that they could either put all the power to make a fighting game by going with sixty frames per second, or they could put all the power to making a game with JoJo's expression and go with 30 frames per second. They decided on the latter, as 30 frames per second allows for the greater visual expression one wants from a JoJo game.
http://andriasang.com/con1yr/jojo_interview/

gotta make sacrifices for the visual expression

Teknoman

Would be nice if they went the Super Dragon Ball Z route or whatever the name of the Arc Systems Fist of the North Star game.

I have zero faith in CC2 making an enjoyable, deep fighting game.

As a side note, Treasure's Bleach fighting games on DS were way better than an anime licensed fighter has any right to be.

TreIII

ASW is nice, but they're not the only game in town.

As good as Melty Blood and Arcana Heart are (but sadly, will never reach a wide audience in the West)? My only wish is that French Bread and Examu would get the rights to make licensed fighting games that would appeal/market better to a worldwide audience.

Shoot, even Examu making a Sailor Moon game (to go along with the new anime) that was closer in style to the Super Famicom fighters would be a start. At least it might be a fighting game starring young ladies that more guys in the West might actually play! :lol

Imagine if Ryota Niitsuma or Ono got their hands on DBZ? Shit would be INSANE.

Top Bottom