• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Natal struggles to see Black people?

Vorador said:
As always....

Gaf > Internet > Gaf

it was
IGN > Gaf > Internet > Gaf
in this case

Eurogamer said:
N'Gai Croal didn't acually cry wolf - it was a report by bitmob that witnessed the difficulties he had at E3.

NeoGAF brought this to our attention so we credited it. It's a great source. They're not our claims, but we thought they were better checked out than regurgitated, which is what we did.
:lol Sounds like they just regurgitated it at Microsoft.

Vagabundo

H'Gai's evil plan is nearly complete: Microsoft will now ask him to beta test this and pay him big $$$.

You're all his pawns, his little white ivory pawns...

tfur

Iknos said:
I remember seeing this done in the documentary "The King of Kong" and at that point I had to throw the DVD out the window. They used footage of his first high score attempt during the montage where he went for it a second time.

Those bastards trying to mislead us by recycling footage in order to make a it a smooth viewing experience how dare they.

Yeah, you guys really should not try to defend this shit...

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
EschatonDX said:
You're on fire :lol

At least they switched to IR instead of water for motion-tracking. Their HYDRO project was scrapped pretty quickly in favour of NATAL.

fire_hose696.jpg

And I don't think BARK got much further than a white paper...

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
gamergirly said:
I'm glad they responded or otherwise it was going to be a serious problem. The last thing MS wants is for the 360 to be labeled as racist

That's pretty much all they needed to do. It's early technology, and there's no reason to take any of this seriously. It's probably just a glitch that happens occasionally, but it's pure fodder for hilarious forums/comments sections across the net. Fun for all.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
OMGZ: the black lady on good morning america wasn't allowed play :(

Seriously though that PR response is kind of funny..that they had to respond at all. Though it does't outright deny the claimed issue, just says 'at launch' it'll work.

Raist

Banned
gofreak said:
Seriously though that PR response is kind of funny..that they had to respond at all. Though it does't outright deny the claimed issue, just says 'at launch' it'll work.

Yeah they'd better have not responded, than do it with an awful footage.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Microsoft has responded to rather eyebrow-raising claims that Project Natal has problems tracking the movement of black skin, stating that the technology will "obviously work with people of all shapes and ethnicities at launch"
They're in full-on scramble mode to fix their initial oversight.

Bit-Bit

tfur said:
I like the fact that they point to the Sugar Ray video as proof that it is working. The Sugar Ray video has the actual FAKE footage edited into it... :lol

2r7rayp.jpg

The spliced the content from the video on the left, into the video on the right...

Even still, the footage they showed had everyone running into a wall.

CoG

tfur said:
I like the fact that they point to the Sugar Ray video as proof that it is working. The Sugar Ray video has the actual FAKE footage edited into it... :lol

In other words, about as real as Milo :lol

tfur said:

http://i41.tinypic.com/2r7rayp.jpg

The spliced the content from the video on the left, into the video on the right...

They have other videos up using different people. One of them is the rapper the game. You should check then out.

Raist

Banned
BLaZiN PRopHeT said:
They have other videos up using different people. One of them is the rapper the game. You should check then out.

Which IIRC doesn't show any Burnout footage.

The ball game is real. No doubt about it. It's been demoed live during the conference, and there are lots of demos with guest stars that actually show enough to be convincing, and looks to be quite fun.

Burnout demo tho? Calling huge BS. The videos are very carefully edited, you have the exact same footage repeated with different dudes, and when you do see (extremely rare) people's movements and the screen at the same time, it's very, very poorly responsive.

I can't believe no major website is commenting on this.

Raist said:
Which IIRC doesn't show any Burnout footage.

The ball game is real. No doubt about it. It's been demoed live during the conference, and there are lots of demos with guest stars that actually show enough to be convincing, and looks to be quite fun.

Burnout demo tho? Calling huge BS. The videos are very carefully edited, you have the exact same footage repeated with different dudes, and when you do see (extremely rare) people's movements and the screen at the same time, it's very, very poorly responsive.

Starts at 20 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73OBjO1HYOc

Alx

Raist said:

All major websites said that they tried it and that it worked... so what's to believe, first hand impressions or youtube analysis ?

Not that it was perfect, some mentioned that they felt the cars were made heavier to fit the control, others mentioned occasional target loss, that needed 1 second reinitialization (which was fatal in-game, of course).
Anyway it's logical that this demo is rough compared to the in-house demos... but the level of scepticism here is sometimes difficult to understand. Especially for the driving demo, which is technically much easier to do than the ball game (yes, I know, "eyetoy had a similar game", except that it wasn't able to capture the whole body movement).

Luckily, Natal doesn't work with IR.

Yes it does. And a scene saturated with light could be annoying (actually it would be annoying for all systems).

tfur

Raist said:

Someone should at least be commenting on the fake video. I thought everyone was against companies doing stuff like this... I guess it's ok now...

p2535748

Raist said:

So, what about the journalists who tried the Burnout demo? I think some of the guys on Giantbomb mentioned using it, Eurogamer had impressions, as did IGN and at least a few other places (just google "natal burnout" if you want to read any of them). The general consensus was that it worked, though it was obviously a hacked together demo.

It seems to me that this might be the reason why websites aren't commenting on it. If (as they claim), they've tried the thing, the story becomes about the production of a promotional video rather than "they edited together the video to cover up the fact that the tech doesn't work", and the former is a much less interesting story.

PSGames

gofreak said:
OMGZ: the black lady on good morning america wasn't allowed play :(

Come on gofreak why try to push such a ridiculous agenda? You're smarter than that.

Raist

Banned
p2535748 said:
So, what about the journalists who tried the Burnout demo? I think some of the guys on Giantbomb mentioned using it, Eurogamer had impressions, as did IGN and at least a few other places (just google "natal burnout" if you want to read any of them). The general consensus was that it worked, though it was obviously a hacked together demo.

It seems to me that this might be the reason why websites aren't commenting on it. If (as they claim), they've tried the thing, the story becomes about the production of a promotional video rather than "they edited together the video to cover up the fact that the tech doesn't work", and the former is a much less interesting story.

Yes I know, hands-on etc. Although why should I trust a couple of lines from journalists more than what I do see in these vids, which are carefully edited and don't look very responsive and precise? When you see someone actually steer and the car isn't responding at all, it brings some questions.
I'm not saying it's a hoax, but I do question MS's marketing methods and the overall efficiency of Natal for games like Burnout, especially when they've originally not been developed to work with that peripheral.

Also, when you are directly involved in it, you are less likely to pick up the flaws, because there is the "wow factor" and also because you are focused on playing the thing first.

Milabrega

tfur said:

2r7rayp.jpg

This is pretty damning, there is other identical footage in the videos to. I wonder if it was reading player input at all, or if it was just some kind of psychological experiment deception. Like how Molyneux said on stage "everyone tries to catch it".

Vinci

Danish
Milabrega said:
This is pretty damning, there is other identical footage in the videos to. I wonder if it was reading player input at all, or if it was just some kind of psychological experiment deception. Like how Molyneux said on stage "everyone tries to catch it".

Wait, what's this about?

Milabrega said:

The video spliced in is of a car driving in a straight line, falling off a ledge, hitting a wall, falling off another ledge, crashing and landing on its side. How are they trying to deceive you exactly?

Vinci

Danish
Graphics Horse said:
The video spliced in is of a car driving in a straight line, falling off a ledge, hitting a wall, falling off another ledge, crashing and landing on its side. How are they trying to deceive you exactly?

They are suggesting that black people don't know how to drive.

Zachack

Raist said:
Yes I know, hands-on etc. Although why should I trust a couple of lines from journalists more than what I do see in these vids, which are carefully edited and don't look very responsive and precise? When you see someone actually steer and the car isn't responding at all, it brings some questions.
I'm not saying it's a hoax, but I do question MS's marketing methods and the overall efficiency of Natal for games like Burnout, especially when they've originally not been developed to work with that peripheral.
Because the suggestion that every journalist is in on some grand conspiracy is ridiculous, especially considering that some of the journalists have no reason to lie and would basically have their website implode if they were found to be lying (Engadget and the other blog-sites come to mind). There's simply no meaningful benefit for them and would probably gain more from misreporting non-existent flaws rather than hiding real ones.

The videos remind me of Amped and other bullshots where PR firms, for some reason, decide to fake stuff that doesn't need faking. It's really weird and I find their overreaching desire to control information to be mostly hilarious due to the incompetency they so frequently display at doing so.

Raist

Banned
Zachack said:
Because the suggestion that every journalist is in on some grand conspiracy is ridiculous, especially considering that some of the journalists have no reason to lie and would basically have their website implode if they were found to be lying (Engadget and the other blog-sites come to mind). There's simply no meaningful benefit for them and would probably gain more from misreporting non-existent flaws rather than hiding real ones.

I didn't say that they are lying (hence the sentence that you have not quoted). When I say "trust" I just mean that their opinion on it has hardly more value than what we can see in the videos. I also did say I wasn't implying that it was a huge hoax.
It's not like these are stolen or leaked videos, they are made by MS themselves to promote their system.

Top Bottom