• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Natal struggles to see Black people?

DogWelder

SS4Rob said:
I almost hate to contribute to this thread but my Nintendo DSi doesn't recognize me, my family or my black friends hardly at all when using some of the face recognition lens on the camera app, and Wario Ware Snapped has problems as well. At first I jokingly said Nintendo was racist when I tried to use it and struggled but my white friends got it to work instantly, but then as I gave it to more and more black people I don't know if I'm joking anymore... maybe Nintendo of America should hire a black QE :-/
Why not take this to The Consumerist?

koam

So Nintendo (wii fit) discriminates against really fat people, Microsoft hates black people, what about sony?

Haunted

skyfinch said:
Xbox360full_500x526.jpg
So will my black Elite discriminate white players? :p

This stuff pretty hilarious in any case. Except for black people, I mean.

SS4Rob said:
I almost hate to contribute to this thread but my Nintendo DSi doesn't recognize me, my family or my black friends hardly at all when using some of the face recognition lens on the camera app, and Wario Ware Snapped has problems as well. At first I jokingly said Nintendo was racist when I tried to use it and struggled but my white friends got it to work instantly, but then as I gave it to more and more black people I don't know if I'm joking anymore.
:eek:

dionysus

Yaldog
Alx said:
For the last time, the depth measurement does not depend on the ambient lighting, it can only work by sending light from the camera and measuring the time it takes to get back to each pixel... it would still work in a dark room, or in a white room with girls dressed in ghost suits a la "Charlie's angel".
It's time of flight - based, not contrast -based.

I could be off base here but what you are describing is RADAR. I am not even sure that it is physically possible for radar to work over such short distance even with unlimited money to spend on technology. The speed of light covers 1 meter in 3.34x10^-9s or 3.34 nanoseconds. I really doubt they technology is based upon time of flight, especially not when it has to be commercially viable for the average consumer.

Edit. Early versions of RADAR at least used solely time of flight. Now all kinds of things can be used like Doppler effect and what not, but the doppler effect is not going to be noticeable at human speeds.

Alx

dionysus said:
The speed of light covers 1 meter in 3.34x10^-9s or 3.34 nanoseconds. I really doubt they technology is based upon time of flight, especially not when it has to be commercially viable for the average consumer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-of-flight_camera

The thing is, time-of-flight cameras used to be terribly expensive indeed. That's why most tech-aware people were floored to learn that Microsoft intended to distribute them as a common product. But the technology is there, since the israelian company they bought already intended to sell such cameras at low price.

Cipherr

op_ivy said:
i am... my point is holding out your hands pretending to hold a wheel, and holding out your hands holding a wii mote BOTH would suck for extended play of racing games.

people are quick to attack the racing demo for natal, but i dont hear the same complaints waged against the wii.... hmmm

Because holding a physical object and pretending to isnt nearly the same goddamn thing no matter how much you want to pretend it is. The tactile contact with a solid object makes a HUGE difference.

Alx said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-of-flight_camera

The thing is, time-of-flight cameras used to be terribly expensive indeed. That's why most tech-aware people were floored to learn that Microsoft intended to distribute them as a common product. But the technology is there, since the israelian company they bought already intended to sell such cameras at low price.

it probably uses some combination of radar pulses + image recognition. The Image recognition is what fails on black people.

Alx

60_gig_PS3 said:
it probably uses some combination of radar pulses + image recognition. The Image recognition is what fails on black people.

it does almost certainly use image recognition for all face-based measurements (and I'm sure their quality will depend on appearance, like color skin but also beard, glasses, age, gender, haircuts... ), but the driving demo had no reason to use that. It's all about detecting the hands and feet of the user, and for that the depth information is sufficient.

Alx said:
it does almost certainly use image recognition for all face-based measurements (and I'm sure their quality will depend on appearance, like color skin but also beard, glasses, age, gender, haircuts... ), but the driving demo had no reason to use that. It's all about detecting the hands and feet of the user, and for that the depth information is sufficient.

I'm thinking just the opposite. For driving you dont even need distance information, they can just use image recognition to track the position of your hands.

It'd be cheaper to do it this way, but they were probably using something expensive for the E3 demo.

Raist

Banned
Karma said:
Bullshit. It worked the same for him as it did everyone else.

Well, since we didn't see anyone else try Burnout (apart from the other guys with Sugar Ray), we wouldn't know. But it was quite bad.

JCtheMC

I must've been the only person on the planet that liked those Sony posters. I've seen the first one in the city and i thought it was awesome - the fact that it might be regarded as racist never occurred to me.

Count Dookkake said:
So people don't read Invisible Man anymore? Thought that was one of my better gags.
I got it if it makes you feel better, it's just I was still laughing too hard at
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
And you thought the "hard disc drive required" logo on game boxes was bad.
to reply :lol

tengiants

JCtheMC said:
I must've been the only person on the planet that liked those Sony posters. I've seen the first one in the city and i thought it was awesome - the fact that it might be regarded as racist never occurred to me.

I think more people would agree with you if people saw the billboards before they saw the "OMG SONY IS RACIST!!!!" articles.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
You know who else I bet Natal doesn't like? Cripples.

Top Bottom