• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Natal struggles to see Black people?

It's funny that the EyeToy was also dependent on lightintensity (in order to see pixel changes, I guess), yet years after the fact, MS techs seem to have forgotten about that nagging little detail.

Speaking of nagging:

n_ggers.jpg

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
tfur said:
Infomercials aside, I cannot imagine anyone would play a driving game like this for more than 30 minutes. It really is a terrible use/example of the Natal interface.

would it be much different then playing a racing game for 30+ minutes with this?
wii4.jpg

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So, the box will need to include text that says "Competitive Advantage based on Skin Color?"

martha-stewart-wagging-finger.jpg

Oh Microsoft...

Raistlin

This is just ... wow. The lulz.

soco said:
it's a shame it's already out of beta and will be releasing in a few weeks!

Well, devs actually have had HW for a few months.

If it is indeed true that nearIR has issues in this regard, they may have to completely scrap the current camera. This could really set them back pretty far to be honest.

AniHawk

op_ivy said:
would it be much different then playing a racing game for 30+ minutes with this?
wii4.jpg

Well, considering you're not even holding anything, yes.

In fact, I thought the whole point of the Natal was to be very different from the Wii remote.

FrankT

Onix said:
This is just ... wow. The lulz.

Well, devs actually have had HW for a few months.

If it is indeed true that nearIR has issues in this regard, they may have to completely scrap the current camera. This could really set them back pretty far to be honest.

Oh stop with nonsense and actually read the thread.

Real issues alright;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-443dE5-gk&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Fxboxprojectnatal&feature=player_profilepage

You got to be kidding me.

I mentioned this as a potential problem in one of the earlier threads. It's been a problem with a lot of computer vision technology, and I wouldn't at all be surprised to see Natal included.

op_ivy

Penguin said:
In a way since the Wii only simulates the driving.
Natal has you doing the brake/gas with your foot as well

well, i think its basically the same. i wouldnt want to do any serious extended gaming with either device

El-Suave

The groups of people in the promotional videos in the press conference weren't nearly as diverse as they usually are in Nintendo's Wiimote videos.

Onix said:

Unless someone's working on a Natal game that performs spectroscopic analysis of your blood, I think they're fine.

GQman2121

Banned
I think this speaks more to the fact that there are not enough minorities covering games. I mean of course it has to not function properly for N'gai of all people.........So predictable. :p

op_ivy

Bluemercury said:
you're aware that you dont really need the wheel right?, RIGHT?

i am... my point is holding out your hands pretending to hold a wheel, and holding out your hands holding a wii mote BOTH would suck for extended play of racing games.

people are quick to attack the racing demo for natal, but i dont hear the same complaints waged against the wii.... hmmm

Raistlin

tfur said:
Infomercials aside, I cannot imagine anyone would play a driving game like this for more than 30 minutes. It really is a terrible use/example of the Natal interface.

Yeah. As I stated after the original conference showing ... this sort of stuff is smoke and mirrors. It looks cool, so that's why they showed it.

While it may be perfectly feasible for Natal to support this kind of control scheme, no developer in their right mind would do it. Your arms would be numb in like 10 minutes.

JDSN

Banned
I guess we could use black people as stealth ops during raids against Skynet.

THAT WOULD BE SOME ANTI SKYNET SHIT!

op_ivy said:
i am... my point is holding out your hands pretending to hold a wheel, and holding out your hands holding a wii mote BOTH would suck for extended play of racing games.

people are quick to attack the racing demo for natal, but i dont hear the same complaints waged against the wii.... hmmm

i guess you havent played ExciteTrucks.

gcubed

Onix said:
Yeah. As I stated after the original conference showing ... this sort of stuff is smoke and mirrors. It looks cool, so that's why they showed it.

While it may be perfectly feasible for Natal to support this kind of control scheme, no developer in their right mind would do it. Your arms would be numb in like 10 minutes.

MS FIT!

FrankT

Onix said:
whaaaaa ... cry.

Excuse me if I can't access youtube at work.

Ah waaaaaaaa.

lulz

Oh the IR ahhaahah.

Let me explain it to you. Lots of famous Black sports dudes playing Natal games without issue.

Alx

Penguin said:
Well I mean it was disproven in this thread, but I do wonder how Natal will work with less light sources.

I mean I assume most people don't live in well lit all white rooms.

The sensor emits its own light for 3D scanning, so it should work in all kinds of lighting conditions (actually in some of the demos they made to journalists, they were flickering the lights to test the robustness)

op_ivy

Bluemercury said:
i guess you havent played ExciteTrucks.

I GUESS YOU HAVENT PLAYED NATAL.

this is fucking stoopid. forget it.

Raistlin

EmCeeGramr said:
Unless someone's working on a Natal game that performs spectroscopic analysis of your blood, I think they're fine.

I was under the impression the issue was that they were using nearIR emissions for tracking purposes.

Raistlin

FoxHimself said:
Everyone should check this out and then shut up. N'Gai should shut up. What a god damn storm in a milk glass. It's not even true.

??

I understand the meaning based on the context, but can you explain where this phrase is derived from? Never heard it before. Where are you from?

Speevy said:
The gloves for other ethnicities are sold separately but equally.

:lol :lol :lol

Top Bottom