• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog: Chance of a TLOU 2 is "50/50"; Sony gives us freedom of choice

Vizzeh

Banned
The fact Sony don't force them to churn out sequels and just leave them to it is examplorary. TLOU doesn't need a sequel. That's not to say I wouldn't enjoy one

Exactly, FORCING story/games is were they go wrong. If there is a story to tell do it, if not leave it. Its why games go stale.

This is great from Sony, (No need to look how Gears of War has went)

I still hope if there isnt much more room with Ellie, then it could involve other protagonists in TLoU world (ones we havent seen yet) - Maybe get some cameos from Ellie/Joel would be nice.

Bedlam

Gotta love all the experts who just KNOW a sequel won't be as good -_-

"It's perfect as is I say!! Perfect!!!"

Let the dogs do what they want. If they have more story to tell, it'll be just as inspired as the first, and who doesn't want to see the tale of Ellie extend further. There's plenty of unanswered questions and things you can do with the world.

Gameplay wise there's many improvements the game could use, I don't think it's reached it's uncharted 2 potential, I'm down for a sequel, and want to see a grown up Ellie, who she becomes, all that jazz.
Please god, no. What a terrible idea...

eXistor

No sequel, leave it as a one-off. From a business standpoint it would obviously be a good thing (and the reason I'm positive we'll see a sequel), but creatively it wouldn't make sense, outside of doing it from scratch (different setting, characters etc. only set in the same world).

Yaoibot

I still haven't finished the game due to lack of appeal, but there's no denying it was a big hit and that there is more you can do in a post-apocalyptic setting like that. And to all the people decrying "no, do a new IP"! Did you all forget both Uncharted AND TLoU ARE new IPs of the last generation? If we get another 2 from ND, along with whatever sequels their 2nd team works on, what's wrong with that?

I'd love for a sequel but please don't. A sequel will always be judged harshly because it won't be the first TLoU

Conversely, it will sell like crazy, and sell lots of PS4s

Jigolo

We still haven't gotten Joel's back story since the incident. You all know what I'm talking about. And in the ending of the game they just
arrived in a new town.
I'm no storyteller but the sequel has so many un touched possible plots that this game deserves 1 sequel.

StuBurns

Banned
I'd love for a sequel but please don't. A sequel will always be judged harshly because it won't be the first TLoU

Conversely, it will sell like crazy, and sell lots of PS4s
There's really no reason to believe that. Look at Portal to Portal 2. Portal is as close to a perfect game as imaginable, but they still made a sequel that received universal acclaim.

No matter what that team do, it will be compared to TLoU.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I don't understand you people at all. This is one of those times where the game actually NEEDS a sequel. Did you guys not finish TLOU or something? That's really how you want it to end? Now Uncharted, there's a franchise that shouldn't ever see another sequel.

Also I'd just like to add that a sequel in the same world but with different characters also gets a massive no from me. The next game has to continue from the end of the first game. Hopefully with Ellie as the main playable character this time.

Cornbread78

It's a great stand-alone title, but there are so many places they could go with the world they created, I'd take a direct sequel with Joel and Ellie and/or a completely new story in TLoU world..

StuBurns

Banned
I don't understand you people at all. This is one of those times where the game actually NEEDS a sequel. Did you guys not finish TLOU or something? That's really how you want it to end?
What are you talking about? Did you finish it?

They accept each other as surrogate child and father and go to live happily ever after in his brother's town, the end.

There's really no reason to believe that. Look at Portal to Portal 2. Portal is as close to a perfect game as imaginable, but they still made a sequel that received universal acclaim.

No matter what that team do, it will be compared to TLoU.

That's very true. Portal 2 didn't exactly reinvent the wheel with what they did from Portal 1 just expanded on the great storytelling, pacing and added a fun co-op mode.

My main issue was that TLoU had a very firm conclusion. Going with another protagonist or doing a prequel may not bring about the same emotional connection that TLoU 1 gave, especially with what we know at the conclusion.

However, in a sequel we would see a lot of great technical improvements like with what we see in Left Behind with
infected and human AI characters fighting each other

Please god, no. What a terrible idea...
Explain why that's terrible?

Her relationship with Joel can't last forever, in fact given there situation it likely is short lived. So what does Ellie do if she loses her new "most important person again". Blow her brains out? I think that character development is very interesting, and u fail to offer anything to counter it besides they terrible...

They accept each other as surrogate child and father and go to live happily ever after in his brother's town, the end.
To be fair. That's heavily implied, but Ellie could change under different circumstances...or her guilt could become a factor, like what if she is the savior? What if someone finds out...etc

EVIL

Lol. If they don't make TLOU 2, somebody else will.

There will absolutely be a sequel.

Why would there?

There have been plenty of games under Sony's wing that have stayed at one game and they are not unsuccessful games. TLOU is fine as a single story. If you are going to do stuff like trying to explain everything, that takes away from the game. It was about these people, not the setting, and the characters had their story. I don't see any reason why it needs a sequel.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
"The Last of Us was too good, please don't give us another one!" What? Are you people serious? This fear that they can't make a sequel as good or better than the original is just total nonsense. The Last of Us was very successful so I have no doubt that there will be another game at some point and I can not wait to play it.

A sequel will always be judged harshly because it won't be the first TLoU

This isn't nintendo, i'm pretty sure that a sequel won't be judged harshly against the first game.
Any developer can churn out sequels without being judged on previous entries, everyone except nintendo that is.

Why would there?

There have been plenty of games under Sony's wing that have stayed at one game and they are not unsuccessful games. TLOU is fine as a single story. If you are going to do stuff like trying to explain everything, that takes away from the game. It was about these people, not the setting, and the characters had their story. I don't see any reason why it needs a sequel.
I disagree completely...this story doesn't need explaining everything to have a continuation. For the simple fact of Joel and Ellie's happiness seems to be on a time limit..time skip it 5 years and both characters could be completely different. What if it's not good enough just to "survive" what if life calls for something more than that? How May ppl become rich and still aren't satisfied? I think the same could be applied here. They got there happy ending, about as much happiness as one can expect in this world, but what if, particularly in Ellie's case, that's just not good enough? Many places this story can go, and frankly I'm just not tired of Ellie yet. I do agree it should be a 2016 game; let it breathe, but I would like to see more

This fear of them messing up is kinda funny, or them not having another inspiring story to tell because the first ended so well is also strange . They seem to be on too of there game right now, I think they'll knock it out the park again, especially with a familiar setting the gameplay mechanics alone would be so much improved...

smik

TLOU needs to have a sequel as the world building was tremendous, its one of Sony big hitters and would be a really stupid move not to do another.

if anything let the talented team of Santa Monica have a crack for a new IP, the GOW series has run its course

StuBurns

Banned
To be fair. That's heavily implied, but Ellie could change under different circumstances...or her guilt could become a factor, like what if she is the savior? What if someone finds out...etc
Yeah, of course, you could always contrive another chapter. One day, twelve years later, Ellie doesn't come to the communal breakfast, someone mentions not having seen her the evening before at some poetry reading or whatever, she's been kidnapped, off Joel and Tommy go on an adventure, but I just meant that TLoU itself is conclusive. The post I replied to certainly suggested it wasn't.

This isn't nintendo, i'm pretty sure that a sequel won't be judged harshly against the first game.
Any developer can churn out sequels without being judged on previous entries, everyone except nintendo that is.

Uncharted 3 says otherwise. It was pretty much crucified by some for not being Uncharted 2

In that regard, I have more faith in Bruce Straley than I do Justin Richmond, even though both are amazing game directors.

EVIL

"The Last of Us was too good, please don't give us another one!" What? Are you people serious? This fear that they can't make a sequel as good or better than the original is just total nonsense. The Last of Us was very successful so I have no doubt that there will be another game at some point and I can not wait to play it.

I am sick and tired of this "we need more of the same bullshit" "sequel please!" bullshit, honestly! For years people here are crying about the need for more originality, more new ip's. Now ND got a chance to do a fresh new one, TLOU, and that turned out great! and now they get a second chance at starting another one! let them have that chance!

I feel this has all more to do with people wanting to see TLOU on the PS4 with next gen graphics then actually caring about the IP. Give them the chance to do what they want, if they decide they want a second version then fine, its their choice, but this "It made millions there has to be a sequel" publisher poisonous mindset of people have these days drives me crazy! You guys should be welcoming new fresh ideas from great developers instead of wanting them to do the same old same old.

Uncharted 3 says otherwise. It was pretty much crucified by some for not being Uncharted 2

It was rightly crucified for being a bad game, with broken aiming at launch.
that didn't stop most reviewers from giving it amazing reviews. And strangely not even one review mentioned the broken aiming.

That's a lame ending, man. They could do so much more with these characters than "they lived happily ever after" and the world went further down the shitter while they sit on the potential cure for mankind.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

You seriously think it's all roses from there? You don't care to find out what's going to happen when Ellie inevitably finds out the truth? You don't want to see if Ellie can see sense and free herself from Joel? You don't want to see if Joel will get what's coming to him? You don't care to see if the world can be saved? I was anything but satisfied with the ending. All it did was leave me wanting more. It simply cannot end there.

StuBurns

Banned
You seriously think it's all roses from there? You don't care to find out what's going to happen when Ellie inevitably finds out the truth? You don't want to see if Ellie can see sense and free herself from Joel? You don't want to see if Joel will get what's coming to him? You don't care to see if the world can be saved? I was anything but satisfied with the ending. All it did was leave me wanting more. It simply cannot end there.
Ellie knew the truth, she even woke up in a hospital gown.

I didn't literally mean they'd never have another moment of tension throughout their lives, I meant that the end of TLoU is totally conclusive.

that didn't stop most reviewers from giving it amazing reviews. And strangely not even one review mentioned the broken aiming.

It was not a bad game, it just wasn't as groundbreaking as Uncharted 2, and many reviewers and gamers criticized it for not being UC2

Bedlam

Explain why that's terrible?

Her relationship with Joel can't last forever, in fact given there situation it likely is short lived. So what does Ellie do if she loses her new "most important person again". Blow her brains out? I think that character development is very interesting, and u fail to offer anything to counter it besides they terrible...

Did you guys not finish TLOU or something? That's really how you want it to end?

Yes. That's exactly how I want this story to end. Sometimes leaving questions unanswered is so much more fascinating than giving answers. Hell, raising questions at the end is a narrative device and ND clearly applied it here. That way a story stays with you much longer than a story that explains every little detail. The way the relationship turned out at the ending was interesting and thought-provoking. Any further explanations would take away from this great ending to the game.

Seriously, that's your takeaway from the ending? In a moment where Ellie wanted to know the truth, Joel lied to Ellie for reasons that are selfish to a degree.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
I am sick and tired of this "we need more of the same bullshit" "sequel please!" bullshit, honestly! For years people here are crying about the need for more originality, more new ip's. Now ND got a chance to do a fresh new one, TLOU, and that turned out great! and now they get a second chance at starting another one! let them have that chance!

I feel this has all more to do with people wanting to see TLOU on the PS4 with next gen graphics then actually caring about the IP. Give them the chance to do what they want, if they decide they want a second version then fine, its their choice, but this "It made millions there has to be a sequel" publisher poisonous mindset of people have these days drives me crazy! You guys should be welcoming new fresh ideas from great developers instead of wanting them to do the same old same old.

Well ND said they are free to do whatever they want. They can do a new IP if they wish. No one is forcing them to do TLOU next. But it will come at some point. You'd be crazy to think that IP is going to be permanently shelved. And why can't we have both? A new IP from ND and another TLOU game? Why does it have to be either or? It's not like Naughty Dog is only making ONE game for the PS4.

Go_Ly_Dow

AAA doesn't work like that. Business doesn't work like that.

Will be extremely surprised if we dont see a sequel to this multi million dollar highly successful and critically acclaimed new IP.

Dunkers92

I feel like you can't do a part 2 and stay true to the game.
TLoU was all about Ellie and Joel and the development of their relationship.
You can't just smack a sequel onto that.

They should really think about it, and if they can come up with a story thats equally worth telling, stays true to the world and the characters and doesn't feel forced - do it.
If not - don't

Bruce and Neil were on the IGN Beyond Podcast a couple of weeks ago and someone asked the question about a sequel, and that's exactly the answer they gave. That's what makes me not worried if they did decide to do a sequel because I'm sure the story they come up with, if they do, will be great.

And as they said on that podcast, they do have a quite a lot of leeway with Sony, so I don't think a sequel will ever be forced

LastNac

"broken aiming?"

Ha, please cut back on the melodrama. So what if you couldnt make tight circles. Uncharted 3 wasn't unplayable

Bedlam

AAA doesn't work like that. Business doesn't work like that.

Will be extremely surprised if we dont see a sequel to this multi million dollar highly successful and critically acclaimed knew IP.
I think Sony as a publisher doesn't function exactly like that. At least not always. They're traditionally funding vanity projects sometimes where they know they won't make them much money but they will increase the desire for their hardware (Shadow of the Colossus, Journey, Heavy Rain, Puppeteer etc.). They understand that providing awesome creators with creative freedom will result in long-term benefits for them instead of churning out sequels (which they do with other franchises, sure). Maybe the deal was "make us UC4 and you're free to do whatever you want with the second game." Both, one risk-averse and one risky project at the same time to benefit from both approaches if you will.

StuBurns

Banned
Seriously, that's your takeaway from the ending? In a moment where Ellie wanted to know the truth, Joel lied to Ellie for reasons that are selfish to a degree.
Joel's arc is to rebuild himself to the point he could be a parent after his daughter died, Ellie's arc is to find a person who actually loves her following the death of her friend, the final scene is literally the conclusion of both arcs. It's not that he lied, it's that he was willing to lie to protect her from the truth, even though the truth itself wasn't well concealed.

Of course they could make more, she could grow up and decide herself that she's willing to die to help the remaining population, people in Tommy's town could become resentful, etc, but the story of TLoU ends exactly where it should.

I see a lot of people who are put off by the idea of a sequel, and I'm not certain that I really understand it. The world of the Last of Us is an incredibly rich one with a lot to offer, and I don't think Joel and Ellie's stories are the only meaningful ones it can possibly tell. There are so many potential points in the timeline that can be explored, and more than enough potential to justify much more in my humble opinion. If this is announced, I will be nothing but ecstatic.

My friend Peter Tcherkes (level designer at ND for last of us, now at IO Interactive) told me while making TLoU it was always to be a standalone game with no sequel/prequels

Bedlam

Joel's arc is to rebuild himself to the point he could be a parent after his daughter died, Ellie's arc is to find a person who actually loves for her following the death of her friend, the final scene is literally the conclusion of both arcs. It's not that he lied, it's that he was willing to lie to protect her from the truth, even though the truth itself wasn't well concealed.
I think that's an extremely shallow and one-sided interpretation of the ending. Joel is clearly still scarred by the demons of his past which led them to do the things he's done but he doesn't want to admit the truth to Ellie, thereby betraying the trust between both of them and potentially planting the seed for a rift in their relationship.

My friend Peter Tcherkes (level designer at ND for last of us, now at IO Interactive) told me while making TLoU it was always to be a standalone game with no sequel/prequels
Great to hear. I hope ND is still thinking that way. It should stand as a complete piece of art as it is.

StuBurns

Banned
I think that's an extremely shallow and one-sided interpretation of the ending. Joel is clearly still scarred by the demons of his past which led them to do the things he's done but he doesn't want to admit the truth to Ellie, thereby betraying the trust between both of them and potentially planting the seed for a rift in their relationship.
You think the lie is hide the fact he had to kill people? It's not at all, it's to hide the fact she has to die to save people.

Bedlam

You think the lie is hide the fact he had to kill people? It's not at all, it's to hide the fact she has to die to save people.
It's both, really. And hiding his selfish reasons, of course.

This is definitely not the happy ending that you think it is. The story arc(s) clearly end on a very ambivalent note.

maybe this is just me, but why does Naughty Dog bring this topic back again and again?
They answered questions on a reddit AMA.

Top Bottom