• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog: Chance of a TLOU 2 is "50/50"; Sony gives us freedom of choice

Famassu

If Naughty Dog's new PS4 game wasn't Uncharted 4, then I'd be pretty open for The Last of Us 2. But because they are making yet another Uncharted, I hope their second game for PS4 is a new IP and not TLOU2.

I feel like you can't do a part 2 and stay true to the game.
TLoU was all about Ellie and Joel and the development of their relationship.
You can't just smack a sequel onto that.

They should really think about it, and if they can come up with a story thats equally worth telling, stays true to the world and the characters and doesn't feel forced - do it.
If not - don't do it.

But what they should do is a GotY edition for Ps4.
1080p, upped graphics, major AI improvements, SP + MP DLC.
I'd say that would sell pretty good on Ps4.

They should really think about and if they come up with a story thats equally worth telling, stay true the world and characters and doesn't feel forced - do it.
If not - don't do it.

But what they should do is a GotY edition for Ps4.
1080p, upped graphics, major AI improvements, SP + MP DLC.
I'd say that would sell pretty good on Ps4.

Fully agree with part 1 and based on their output up to and including Left Behind, I'd wager they're going through the same thought process.

As for part 2, I would double dip on PS4, no doubt.

eXeál

Banned
The exaggeration people display when it comes to Uncharted 3 is absolutely ridiculous.

Actually it's become quite cool to bash Uncharted 3 for the sake of bashing it. Because you know, it shows that you have some knowledge on something that you don't. If 50% of the games released each year were as "bad" as Uncharted 3 this industry would be awesome each passing day.

There are clickers as big as buildings. Also you have lots of new gadgets and weapons (more lasers!). Oh and Ellie can now control the infected with her new powers. We'd also probably dive into the government conspiracy of creating a secret weapon that broke loose and that's how the outbreak started. There's probably a shadowy secret agency in all this that you find out Joel has been a member of this whole time (that's why he came home late in the prologue!)

Lol Neil :)

I reaaaallyy dont want a sequel, particularly for Joel and Ellie. You've already created two of the most memorable characters ever so please don't ruin them.

But I would love to see a new game set in that same TLoU universe. That world deserves to be explored more.

RulkezX

Does ND really have 3 teams like people here say or is it more

1 game active development
1 game pre production

At any one time ?

OT - I'd take a sequel , but no Joel and Ellie. Their story is done , it was great and I sont want it messed up.

Morue

Whatever they'll give us, I'll be here day 1.

But why do people keep saying that if they do a sequel, they'll ruin the characters? If they've been able to create them and make them great, why do you think they won't be able to make them even better?

I was against a sequel until I played the DLC. Refine and expand on the mechanics, put them in a new setting with new characters, don't simply add a 2 on the end and I'd be very interested.

Blearth

Banned
People have no faith in Naughty Dog all of a sudden?

I'm sure they could make TLoU2 an even better game than the first.

taizuke

If Naughty Dog's new PS4 game wasn't Uncharted 4, then I'd be pretty open for The Last of Us 2. But because they are making yet another Uncharted, I hope their second game for PS4 is a new IP and not TLOU2.

I kinda feel this way and ever since i saw the Savage Starlight comics in TLOU i've dreamt of a ND game set in space but in them trust so i'm fine either way.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Sony giving them full control over their future projects sounds like a dream for a development team like this.

I could see companies like Activision, EA, Ubisoft or even Microsoft completely double down on a forced sequel if they were the ones having these kind of options.

I'll be happy with everything ND decides. I'd love a new TLOU seeing as it's one of the best games I have played, but i'd be down all the way with a new franchise as well. I win either way.

I-hate-u

Sony giving them full control over their future projects sounds like a dream for a development team like this.

I could see companies like Activision, EA, Ubisoft or even Microsoft completely double down on a forced sequel if they were the ones having these kind of options.

I'll be happy with everything ND decides. I'd love a new TLOU seeing as it's one of the best games I have played, but i'd be down all the way with a new franchise as well. I win either way.

I believe Jason Rubin called Sony buying out Naughty Dog is the most successful acquisition in gaming. Its true for both parties.

taizuke

People have no faith in Naughty Dog all of a sudden?

I'm sure they could make TLoU2 an even better game than the first.

With Uncharted 3 their goal wasn't to outdo 2 because they themselves thought "how do you top something like that?" so they went a different route.

I feel like it would happen again with TLOU 2. Granted, the difference being it would be on PS4 and that's where i feel they'd have a chance to outdo the first.

So, just like there's a 50/50 chance of them making TLOU 2 the same odds apply to the game being less impactful than the first and that's where i feel most people would rather see them do something new.

thisiswhatever

Neo Member
Translation: Are we making a sequel? Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe fuck you. We make whatever the fuck we want, Sony lets us do that because we're the guys that are good at our jobs. Who are you?

The Last of Us just isn't franchise fodder the way Uncharted is, and a sequel would feel completely unnecessary in my opinion. You could tell a separate story from the first game but set in the same world sure, but even then, The Last of Us revolved absolutely around Joel and Ellie, it was their tale, and it was one that ended resolutely, so to move on from them and onto a new cast in a similar situation just doesn't feel genuine. It just feels instead like the video game industry being the video game industry, "hey look, we made this new IP, it was successful, let's make a sequel so we can use leftover assets and the same engine to scale down on costs while guaranteeing further future success." It makes sense from a business standpoint, but Naughty Dog have clearly stated that Sony isn't pressuring them to make another, so the choice is there for them to move on to something new.

It's not difficult to pick out a film and judge whether or not it needed a sequel, and games are the same way.

Cheech

No sequel. No need to cheapen the story. Uncharted doesn't matter because those stories have always been hokey Indiana Jones ripoffs. I'd rather see TLOU go out where it did, and them tackle something new.

EGM1966

Not more TLOU please. Loved it but the tale is told. Videogame industry could do with more confidence to produce single entry titles and move on.

Would love to see TLOU itself scrubbed up by another studio and popped onto PS4 though.

Chao

At this point i'll buy whatever they make, day one. Amazing devs.
As much as I fear a sequel spoiling the first game somehow, I agree with this.
I will buy anything Naughty Dog puts out, my most respected dev out there at this point.
Even when they make a "bad" game (uncharted3) I end up replaying it more than any other game

kmax

I hope they take their time and think about what they actually want to do, without succumbing to pressure. Do they want to do a sequel? Is there a story to be told that they want to tell within that universe, or do they feel like there's not much else to add?

These guys deserve to do whatever the hell they want. They've blown us away before, and I'm looking forward to be mesmerized again.

Vizzeh

Banned
TLOU "world" has infinite possibilities, as much as I personally would enjoy more Ellie/Joel if done right, the world has mass potential for other stories.

TBH it would probably be easier for the story to move TLoU forward with different protagonists.

It would be a shame to let this die, arguably one of my favorite games of all time (DLC inc - and yep Darksouls etc is up there too).

StuBurns

Banned
The gameplay and world were so incredible, I'd love to see them return to it. If they want to use the same characters, life at Tommy's town or whatever, I'd trust them to do it well, although personally I'd rather they leave everyone behind.

Dunkers92

I didn't want a sequel initially, but after Left Behind, I have complete faith in ND, Straley and Druckmann if they did decide to do one.

Gotta love all the experts who just KNOW a sequel won't be as good -_-

"It's perfect as is I say!! Perfect!!!"

Let the dogs do what they want. If they have more story to tell, it'll be just as inspired as the first, and who doesn't want to see the tale of Ellie extend further. There's plenty of unanswered questions and things you can do with the world.

Gameplay wise there's many improvements the game could use, I don't think it's reached it's uncharted 2 potential, I'm down for a sequel, and want to see a grown up Ellie, who she becomes, all that jazz.

Huggers

The fact Sony don't force them to churn out sequels and just leave them to it is examplorary. TLOU doesn't need a sequel. That's not to say I wouldn't enjoy one

Carl

Reall hope that if they do, it's different characters. The ending was perfect. More of Joel and Ellie is something i never want, nor would like.

Mogwai

Gotta love all the experts who just KNOW a sequel won't be as good -_-

"It's perfect as is I say!! Perfect!!!"

Let the dogs do what they want. If they have more story to tell, it'll be just as inspired as the first, and who doesn't want to see the tale of Ellie extend further. There's plenty of unanswered questions and things you can do with the world.

Gameplay wise there's many improvements the game could use, I don't think it's reached it's uncharted 2 potential, I'm down for a sequel, and want to see a grown up Ellie, who she becomes, all that jazz.

Dude, come on. You just spoiled the plot of TLOU2 now. How could you!

Top Bottom