• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog: Chance of a TLOU 2 is "50/50"; Sony gives us freedom of choice

DC1

All of this.

The Last of Us became my favourite game ever last year. This was a one-and-done game for me and I feel like it told as much as it needed to without the need of a sequel. I'm glad we got Left Behind, but after it, no more.

With respect to "All of This" and to the many others who don't want to see a sequel: "Please close your eyes and turn around in circles with your fingers in your ears!"

I want a sequel damn it!
I want what every the freak ND wants to give me. If it's J and E,...I'm cool with that.
If its a continuation of the story from the perspective of the good people of Mauritius then... I'm cool with that as well.

It amazes me how some many of us call Naughty Dog "Naughty gods" and then within the moments of a salts shake, is adamantly afraid that they will deliver a less that stellar continuation/additional to TLOU.

Make of you minds people and get the heck out of the way from my sequel!

I'd be totally down with another game set in the universe of TLOU, but I don't think I want a direct sequel. I'm happy with how things ended; a sequel would risk pulling a "Phantom Menace" too much and ruin what was a good ending with contrived bullshit. There's room for interpretation and nuance with how TLOU ended, with what the characters expressed and felt. If they make a sequel, it takes that away.

I'll be looking forward to what they do regardless.

jak&daxter_l1.jpg

I'll take this instead.

these games don't sell anymore

even the latest mario game bombed

I think the real question is why the hell have they not started working on something at this point? 50/50? The previous game came out 8 months ago. I love these guys but at this rate they aren't going to release the next game for 4 more years at this rapid pace.

I'll buy anything they make, just don't Last Guardian it in terms of pacing. I'm pretty confident that team 1 is likely to release U4 by summer 2015.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
So they probably feel pushed to do something different. They're probably toying with Jak & Daxter right around now, again. Then, soon, they'll probably look into a genre they haven't tried yet ("Let's make a driving game"). I don't think they'll go with TLOU 2, and they'll probably end up doing a really sexy Jak & Daxter with gorgeous space exploration.
I'll take this instead.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=689329
Neil Druckman On Jak said:
We felt like we weren't doing service to what the fans of this franchise really liked. ... So we went to our boss and said, 'Do we have to do this?' And he said, 'No. I thought it would just be easier for you guys if you started with something, but if you want to do something else, come up with something else.'

rdrr gnr

qz8ng

Might as well start crying now. In their IGN Spoilercast when asked about a PS4 port they said something along the lines about it being a matter of resource management. I don't think ND will let their games leave their studio.
It's not "their" game, really. I mean they had an entirely different studio create a game using their premiere IP. A TLoU port would do well.

doofy102

No new cast. The original characters are the reason we love the IP. Anything without Joel and Ellie is a cop-out.

If you're going to have a new cast it might as well be a new IP with a world that is more designed around their character arcs.

No new cast. The original characters are the reason we love the IP. Anything without Joel and Ellie is a cop-out.

If you're going to have a new cast it might as well be a new IP with a world that is more designed around their character arcs.

I disagree with this. Neither of them are really that stand out compared to Drake or Sully. They could easily be replaced with characters just as or even more interesting.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Space game please.
There are a whole bunch of huge space sci-fi films coming out within the next few years, it would be good timing to make a great space game and probably easier to pitch.

coolasj19

I think the real question is why the hell have they not started working on something at this point? 50/50? The previous game came out 8 months ago. I love these guys but at this rate they aren't going to release the next game for 4 more years at this rapid pace.

I'll buy anything they make, just don't Last Guardian it in terms of pacing. I'm pretty confident that team 1 is likely to release U4 by summer 2015.
It's not really a question at all. They only started on the Left Behind DLC immediately after finishing the main game.
YPpzu21.png

Hmmm. I suppose so. Perfect amount of implied snark in your reply btw.

Sniobi, wanna do me a favor and just make a thread from the AMA? I've already done a bit of the work in terms of screencaps... I'd rather it just be out there instead.

Musolf815

qz86ptx.png

Might as well start crying now. In their IGN Spoilercast when asked about a PS4 port they said something along the lines about it being a matter of resource management. I don't think ND will let their games leave their studio.

They even started Last of Us using their engine because people were asking them to share their engine and they wanted more games to use it, but didn't want it to leave their studio. I agree, I don't think they want their games out of their studio. They'll let IP's go to others like Golden Abyss, but their work stays within the studio.

Alienous

That isn't what they wanted to do at the time, and neither is TLOU 2 what they want to do now (otherwise it would be 100%).

So, realistically, they can create a new universe or they can make a Jak and Daxter. I think they'll do the latter, mostly because it's different and it's a solid base they can build on. Starting another IP is a risk, I can't imagine the team being all-in so soon after just doing that, and they'd have to be able to challenge TLOU. Then they would have to balance TLOU and this new IP, making sure they are relatively unique. And they'd probably have to commit to this new IP within the next ~6 months before production really starts.

I'll put my chips on a new Jak and Daxter, but anything is possible. I doubt that Team 2 is going to attempt a game that pushes gaming further than TLOU so soon. That would almost be doomed to failure.

Sly 4 though personally I think that went really well.
They also usually have other studios do side games, such as with all the Vita/PSP spin offs that sometimes find their way to consoles as well.

Yeah, I thought Sanzaru did a really good job.

Courage

Sony giving them freedom is comforting to know. If there was gonna be a sequel I'd 100% be sure it'd be because Sony forced them to follow up one of their best selling titles.

Zornack

I want a new TLoU because I like the somber, serious tone of the game and I don't think they'd make a new IP with the same tone if they were to go the new IP route.

coolasj19

I didn't really find either that interesting alone, it was their relationship that was interesting.
I am neither going to agree or disagree with this statement. But your opinion on the subject does have merit enough for nobody to bash it. Though, some may consider their relationship and the characters mutually exclusive.
That isn't what they wanted to do at the time, and neither is TLOU 2 what they want to do now (otherwise it would be 100%).

So, realistically, they can create a new universe or they can make a Jak and Daxter. I think they'll do the latter, mostly because it's different and it's a solid base they can build on. Starting another IP is a risk, I can't imagine the team being all-in so soon after just doing that, and they'd have to be able to challenge TLOU. Then they would have to balance TLOU and this new IP, making sure they are relatively unique. And they'd probably have to commit to this new IP within the next ~6 months before production really starts.

I'll put my chips on a new Jak and Daxter, but anything is possible.
Same. I doubt they want to spend the next 4 years stressed out with another new IP right off the back of TLoU. I doubt they'll do another Uncharted seeing as how that's Amy Hennig's baby. And they already said all that stuff about Jak and Daxter.

Then again, I don't know if any of that matters. They have no precedent anymore. That got thrown out the window when they made 2 teams instead of a racing game.

I would be equally pleased with TLOU2 or a new IP. I pretty much have complete faith in Naughty Dog at this point, and Druckmann and Straley have certainly earned the right to tell whatever story they want.

TLOU looks good. PS4 port crowd worries me.

Only interested in TLOU2 if no Joel/Ellie.

Not interested in Jak 4 but would love a game with as much content.

Don't do it ND! Keep stretching your legs creatively (unless you truly feel like doing another and have another story you're dying to tell in that world!)

LastNac

I had a mostly bad experience with Uncharted 3, so what exactly should I call it? If "bad" is sacrilege for whatever reason, "highly disappointing" is a fine alternate that doesn't seem to rile people up as much.

My ears were burning but you worded it appropriately given your subjective tastes, carry on. ;)

Seriously though, if they do TLoU 2 then I really hope the entire thing is more like Fall, Winter, and Spring than Summer. Summer was just too much of a shooting gallery that didn't deviate in much of gameplay. Just felt like pure filter.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I want Naughty Dog to do whatever they like to do. If a publisher allows for creative freedom and a developer can still deliver games in a timely fashion, which is what Naughty Dog can do then that is just great.

Of course I wouldn't say no to a bounty hunter game set in space. ;-)

Just do TLOU definitive GOTG edition on PS4 and call it done.

I would love to see the game ported to the PS4 but at the same time I would want ND working on something new. I'm not sure who I would trust to work on the port although I'm sure they would go out and find a studio with plenty of ex-ND/Sony studios guys to do it. I wouldn't mind them handing it off to Mark Cerny to flesh out and whatever studio he teamed up with.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I'm fine with that too, though my preference would be to see Joel and Ellie again.

Ellie is young enough to change but Joel's character is more or less at the end of his journey. But how would you change Ellie to keep it interesting without destroying the person we grew so fond of? It's a really difficult ask from ND to do more than simply touch upon the two main characters again. Use them as reference points, yes, but TLOU 2 needs new protagonists with fresh hurdles to overcome.

ND created a world large enough to tell more stories (maybe something set early on, just as things started turning to shit) but I definitely feel like they shouldn't rush this or turn TLOU into an every-other-year franchise.

Just finished Left Behind and I gotta say, while I'd like a sequel (maybe with Ellie being the main character some years in the future) but I can live without. A GOTG edition for PS4 would be great but I'm in the camp of sequel not necessarily needed and if they are going to do one, lets wait a few years

Shouldn't they be cooking something right now? His quote gave a vibe they still haven't decided anything which seems weird. Anyways, i don't mind TLOU 2. But a 3 year wait is brutal. :(

They even started Last of Us using their engine because people were asking them to share their engine and they wanted more games to use it, but didn't want it to leave their studio. I agree, I don't think they want their games out of their studio. They'll let IP's go to others like Golden Abyss, but their work stays within the studio.

Actually they said the reason was more about the technical side of things, how the engine was designed and structured in a way that it wasn't feasible to bring it out of their studio.

Well, that's what they said, anyway.

Shouldn't they be cooking something right now? His quote gave a vibe they still haven't decided anything which seems weird. Anyways, i don't mind TLOU 2. But a 3 year wait is brutal. :(

They are brainstorming, just haven't decided. Let's not forget that development resources are going to work on the MP DLC, so regardless, any progress at this stage is conceptual.

Ellie is young enough to change but Joel's character is more or less at the end of his journey. But how would you change Ellie to keep it interesting without destroying the person we grew so fond of? It's a really difficult ask from ND to do more than simply touch upon the two main characters again. Use them as reference points, yes, but TLOU 2 needs new protagonists with fresh hurdles to overcome.
Well, I'll just say I trust them to do it right if they choose to. I feel they know what they're doing, and if you they really feel like they have another story to tell, I won't be the one to tell them no. More power to em :)

In the Left Behind spoiler cast, they summed it up nicely. If they have a story to tell they will tell it, but they won't try to come up with a story just to make a sequel. I'm also pretty sure they said that Joel and Ellie's story is done. So it wouldn't be a true sequel, just a different story set in the same created world.

Fret

I think a lot of people here saying they want a sequel don't really understand the point of the entire game.

The ending is the best ending I have ever seen in any game or movie. You are the man who doomed humanity, and thats why its so perfect. It's the entire point.

Making a sequel could work, because its Naughty Dog, but honestly I think they just need to leave it how it is. I'm not sure they can strike gold with an ending like that again.

Don't make a sequel. I want new IPs from Naughty Dog or something totally different from the uncharted/last of us type serious story. How about a platformer?

I'm also pretty sure they said that Joel and Ellie's story is done. So it wouldn't be a true sequel, just a different story set in the same created world.
Nah, they said this story of Joel and Ellie is done.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=606146

"I can clarify that quote, because I've seen it misquoted," Druckmann told me yesterday. "I said this journey for Joel and Ellie is complete. In a spoiler sense, I was referring to the journey with the Fireflies and what they're after with the cure and all that. We're not continuing that.

"But as far as whether we come back to Joel and Ellie or not, or whether we come back to the world or not, that's all up in the air. I can tell you there are people in the studio that would love to come back to these characters, but the only way we would do it would be if we had something new, something meaningful to say. Because the last thing we would want to do is repeat ourselves."

Top Bottom