• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog: Chance of a TLOU 2 is "50/50"; Sony gives us freedom of choice

MavFan619

Banned
The exaggeration people display when it comes to Uncharted 3 is absolutely ridiculous.
Agreed if ND could consider UC3 or maybe the first Uncharted as the worst of their output last gen that's a damn good problem to have. All 3 in the mainline series were great to me.

FHIZ

No thanks.

Can't top Joel and Ellie's story. To expand upon it would ruin they did to begin with, and new characters wouldn't have as much as an impact.

Alienous

The "50/50" can only possibly refer to what they are doing next. The next Naughty Dog game after Uncharted 4.

But there will, undoubtedly, be a TLOU 2. It could be a while away, however. I think Naughty Dog has earned the right to cash in their 'Team ICO' card on the TLOU IP, and that's probably where Sony are coming from. "Make TLOU 2 whenever you want, but you have to do something". I could see a TLOU 2 coming from Naughty Dog in 5 years time, if they come up with a different IP.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
They made uncharted 3
Even if U3 wasn't the best game of all time ever like Uncharted 2, it was still a good game. And also, that was ND's second teams first game. The same team is doing U4 and has had years to work on it. At the very least, it shouldn't have "Pointless Locale Syndrome" that plagued U3.

ND has full showing to do whatever they want. And whatever they do will be great. Nobody should finish TLoU 2 and go "I don't know, I think this just made the first one worse." and nobody should finish NEW ND IP and go "I just wanted TLoU 2.".

SeanTSC

The exaggeration people display when it comes to Uncharted 3 is absolutely ridiculous.

Agreed. I didn't get into Uncharted at all until Uncharted 3 was put up on PS+ (and I think I actually played Golden Abyss on my Vita as my first Uncharted game). I then went out and bought the dual pack with 1/2 and pretty much played straight through all 3 games. I do think 2 was my favorite, but only by a hair. 3 was easily just as good for me. 1 wasn't quite as good as the other two, but mostly because of the janky controls it had that were fixed in 2/3.

And I'd love another TLOU, but *only* if it was about totally different characters. Ellie and Joel are done and shouldn't be touched again. They wouldn't even need some kind of cameo, just leave them out completely.

RedSwirl

At the very least the story of Joel and Ellie should be left alone. Any sequel should have an entire different setting in that same world.

B.O.O.M

TLOU blew my mind and ended up as one of the best games I have ever played.

So I don't mind if they skip a sequel

but at the same time I trust them enough to believe that if they do make a sequel it will be as awesome as the first one.

Gorillaz

It's like Uncharted 3 walked up on their porch, took a shit
didn't wipe either
lit it on fire and then hooked up with their mom.

it's like a personal vendetta

The calls for a new i.p. are interesting sincethey just made one with TLOU. I guess it doesn't count for some reason.

With that said I'd prefer something new instead of a sequel. Though TLOU did too well to not get a sequel. It'll happen sooner or later.
No kidding.

Lucent

They were talking sequels a long time ago.

They can do as they please I will buy it.

This. I'm not gonna be one of those people who say "No sequel please." I trust in Naughty Dog. They will not make a sequel to this if they don't think it'll be good. So if they say they're gonna make one, it'll be great.

I still want another Jak and Daxter game. =)

TLOU blew my mind and ended up as one of the best games I have ever played.

So I don't mind if they skip a sequel

but at the same time I trust them enough to believe that if they do make a sequel it will be as awesome as the first one.

Exactly.

keuja

Whatever they do I'll buy it.
I just want them to work on something that really inspire them... That's how they can deliver such high quality games.

Zee-Row

Banned
What if they make a sequel with a new cast? I personally would make it a single protagonist instead of a helper like Ellie since the enemy AI not seeing her in plain view kind of broke the immersion at times.

RedSwirl

Agreed. I didn't get into Uncharted at all until Uncharted 3 was put up on PS+ (and I think I actually played Golden Abyss on my Vita as my first Uncharted game). I then went out and bought the dual pack with 1/2 and pretty much played straight through all 3 games. I do think 2 was my favorite, but only by a hair. 3 was easily just as good for me. 1 wasn't quite as good as the other two, but mostly because of the janky controls it had that were fixed in 2/3.

And I'd love another TLOU, but *only* if it was about totally different characters. Ellie and Joel are done and shouldn't be touched again. They wouldn't even need some kind of cameo, just leave them out completely.

This is pretty much how I feel. Uncharted 3 was excellent. It just was't the massive leap from UC2 that game was from the original. I felt like UC3 was either just as good as 2 or nearly as good as 2, just not better.

I'm on the sequel train. Anything to keep exploring the universe ND created, whether it involves Joel/Ellie or a new set of characters. After finishing and thoroughly enjoying Left Behind, I'm confident ND can make a full-fledged sequel work. My wallet is ready.

ampere

I really hope they don't. TLoU was amazing, but I'd rather see them create something totally new again than have a sequel.

Although I'll probably buy whatever game they make next regardless.

The "50/50" can only possibly refer to what they are doing next. The next Naughty Dog game after Uncharted 4.
True, obviously whatever this is would come after the next Uncharted, but elsewhere in the AMA he reminded everyone the team working on Uncharted 4 is separate from TLOU team, so I would think work would begin sometime soon.

I hope they leave Ellie and Joel alone but I would be down with them telling the story of Ish. It just seems a shame to not visit that world again on the PS4 and not just a port of TLOU.
Im still hoping they do a Savage Starlight game.

Don't care if they keep the characters or story or setting or whatever but i really hope they do another game with similar game mechanics and build upon it.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Just give TLOU to someone to port to the PS4 and start a new IP.
Would love a next gen PS4 port of it. Toss in a Uncharted trilogy and Id buy both.
qz86ptx.png

Might as well start crying now. In their IGN Spoilercast when asked about a PS4 port they said something along the lines about it being a matter of resource management. I don't think ND will let their games leave their studio.

Please work on something new.

They've already made The Last of Us, we've already seen it, why doing it again? New ideas are always more exciting.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
Please don't make another TPS Naughty Dog. Four (five if you include UC4) in a row is enough.

Mr. Fix

I'll say it again, the inevitable TLOU 2 announcement thread will be gold.

'The sanctity is ruined!'

It'll only hold true if it's a continuation of Joel/Elle's story. It's fanservice at that point.

Visually though, I'm sure there are some unexplored areas, but TLoU already covered 4 seasons, a city setting, a mall, etc. I'm curious as to how they'd approach the look/design for a sequel without it being redundant. The Uncharted series actually benefits from this, with its globe-trotting misadventures.

Vire

Yes ND should stop working on a multi million seller franchise just because.

There are plenty of movies that are masterpieces, multi million dollar sellers, and don't have any sequels.

I rather there not be a sequel to TLOU the more I think about it. At the very least, leave Joel and Ellie alone.

Grisby

Be a shame not to go back to that world. I wouldn't mind a new IP either but man, I'd much rather have a TLOU2 than an Uncharted 4.

Alienous

Nah, elsewhere in the AMA he reminded everyone the team working on Uncharted 4 is separate from TLOU team.

Exactly. Uncharted 4 is being made, and TLOU's team is probably in the conceptualization stage of their next project. So they can either commit to TLOU 2, or come up with something else.

That's where I'm understanding the "50/50" coming from. They have the opportunity to come up with something new, or they'll have to commit to TLOU 2.

Lol. If they don't make TLOU 2, somebody else will.

There will absolutely be a sequel.

Outside of ports to another system, how often does Sony have other studios make a sequel to IP. Honestly the only one I can think of right now is socom by slant six.

It'll only hold true if it's a continuation of Joel/Elle's story. It's fanservice at that point.

Visually though, I'm sure there are some unexplored areas, but TLoU already covered 4 seasons, a city setting, a mall, etc. I'm curious as to how they'd approach the look/design for a sequel without it being redundant. The Uncharted series actually benefits from this, with its globe-trotting misadventures.
I don't think it's fair to automatically write off a sequel with Joel and Ellie. I trust them completely to be able to jump back into those characters and continue their story, they've done such a good job that I think they've earned that right. It didn't technically "end", and if they feel they have something worthwhile to tell, I have full faith in them.

Architect

Neo Member
In regards to the more memory/RAM quote in the OP, I recall when Druckmann (Creative Director for TLOU) gave a talk up here in Toronto he emphasized how the limited RAM on the PS3 meant they had to remove a bunch of designs/ideas from the game.

Whether they do TLOU 2 or another IP, it's exciting to see what they do next, especially with all that 8GB GDDR5 RAM goodness on the PS4.

qz86ptx.png

Might as well start crying now. In their IGN Spoilercast when asked about a PS4 port they said something along the lines about it being a matter of resource management. I don't think ND will let their games leave their studio.

Well Uncharted got a Vita game so I can still hope.

KorrZ

I trust Naughty Dog, especially Neil and Bruce. They're approaching the sequel in the right way. If they feel that they have another great story to tell, then I trust them and will support it with a day 0 purchase.

Alienous

Outside of ports to another system, how often does Sony have other studios make a sequel to IP. Honestly the only one I can think of right now is socom by slant six.

A lot of their portable development teams, who have made portable iterations of the big Sony franchises, are working on PS4. I assume any franchises that aren't being handled by the main teams will be given to the 'B' teams (franchises like LittleBigPlanet) while those major teams work on new IPs. It's already happened with Sly Cooper, for instance.

Top Bottom