• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog: Chance of a TLOU 2 is "50/50"; Sony gives us freedom of choice

dacalo

As good as the ending was, I don't care, I want more of TLoU. The story telling, the world, and the character dynamics, take my money!

Hexa

Outside of ports to another system, how often does Sony have other studios make a sequel to IP. Honestly the only one I can think of right now is socom by slant six.

Sly 4 though personally I think that went really well.
They also usually have other studios do side games, such as with all the Vita/PSP spin offs that sometimes find their way to consoles as well.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Outside of ports to another system, how often does Sony have other studios make a sequel to IP. Honestly the only one I can think of right now is socom by slant six.
Resistance : Burning Skies by Nihilistic
Resistance : Retribution by Sony Bend
Uncharted : Golden Abyss by Sony Bend
There's precedent. And once again, in the IGN Spoilercast, they said they're completely open to someone else making a game with their IP. But they'd be a guaranteed bulls-eye.

Well Uncharted got a Vita game so I can still hope.
"Games" not IP.
I think Naughty dog should have to make 90 new IPs in a row. Man I would love to see them do a wrpg shooter hybrid with dialog wheels
and dating sim elements
You have the most eloquent way of putting things.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think Naughty dog should have to make 90 new IPs in a row. Man I would love to see them do a wrpg shooter hybrid with dialog wheels
and dating sim elements

edit: Alternatively I demand Jaks 5-8 and Crash Bandicoot reboot called Krash Bandikewt

I'd be pissed if there isn't a sequel, I'd also be pissed if Joel and Ellie are in the sequel. Their story is done and ND should leave it the fuck alone.

If there is a sequel it needs to be like Silent Hill 2, different characters and different themes.

I'm really conflicted about this. On the one hand, The Last of Us had a story with a clear beginning and end, and their character arcs are complete as far as I'm concerned. On the other hand, I'd love to see more of TLOU's world, so they could change to another part of the world for another story maybe. But then again, I wouldn't be completely opposed to having Joel/Ellie be the main characters in a sequel as long as they have a story worth telling.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
How the hell does having a sequel make the first one suddenly worse or suddenly change the experience you had with it back in 2013?. Thats stupid logic.

coolasj19

That is such a perfect response from them. I just love how much respect they have of their craft.
lyQxMtP.png

Maybe, we should let them do whatever they want. It's safer that way.

and dating sim elements

edit: Alternatively I demand Jaks 5-8 and Crash Bandicoot reboot called Krash Bandikewt
Oh man. Never change Y2Kev.

Rozart

Honestly, I'll more or less buy anything ND makes-- if they believe that there's more to the TLOU universe that they still want to explore then by all means, go for it.

There's something about the TLOU world and the gameplay mechanics that it adopts that meshes very well together. I'll definitely miss that style of gameplay + atmosphere that the game evokes if they decide to make TLOU a complete, sequel-less standalone game.

And could we get a Joel dlc or something? I miss that gruff old guy.

Cess007

and dating sim elements

I love how you keep pushing for the dating sim thing. I see a pattern here :p

All of this.

The Last of Us became my favourite game ever last year. This was a one-and-done game for me and I feel like it told as much as it needed to without the need of a sequel. I'm glad we got Left Behind, but after it, no more.

Can have another game in the same universe. Doesn't have to be a direct sequel.

I hope they leave the story they did done. I want another game in the universe though.

Neil Druckmann has far more smarts then me so if TLOU 2 is what he wants to make and play, fine by me.

Can't say I was not excited at the NASA and Space X visits and the Corrinne Yu pickup thinking they may go for a Space Epic genre game but anything they come up with, I'm on board!

Mr. Fix

I don't think it's fair to automatically write off a sequel with Joel and Ellie. I trust them completely to be able to jump back into those characters and continue their story, they've done such a good job that I think they've earned that right. It didn't technically "end", and if they feel they have something worthwhile to tell, I have full faith in them.

I don't know, the draw for a sequel at this point becomes Joel and Ellie, but what I liked most about the original game was how fresh the character dynamic and relationships felt for characters we didn't know about. I feel like making a direct sequel only limits them to what they can do in terms of plot/themes/characters.

Do people really need to be spoon-fed a conclusion, as opposed to drawing one out for themselves?

Eh, I'd prefer something new because even though the main game (and dlc) was really exceptional, it has a certain heavyness to it that makes it hard to visit again. Uncharted will surely bring back the fun (aesthetically) but I wouldn't mind something new that is less bleak than TLoU from Neil and Bruce.

Kimosabae

Banned
I'm likewise 50/50. I only want another game if the team feels totally motivated to pour at least as much love and soul into the next game as they did this one and its DLC. Not an ounce less. I get the impression this project was more than a game for them.

Otherwise, I'm totally fine with this game (and its lone DLC) standing alone for an indefinite posterity. It has the strength in its legs to do it.

I can say with near 100% certainty that a sequel with Joel/Ellie will cheapen the first game. That story is as complete as it needs to be. The only reason I'd want to see a TLoU sequel is to get an entire game with the ability to have 3-way combat scenarios like the Left Behind DLC has. Give me that with a new cast in a new adventure, and I'll be okay with it.

I'd still rather a new IP before a sequel, though.

I wasn't a fan of Uncharted 3, but I would never call it a bad game.

I had a mostly bad experience with Uncharted 3, so what exactly should I call it? If "bad" is sacrilege for whatever reason, "highly disappointing" is a fine alternate that doesn't seem to rile people up as much.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
TLOU is about the characters so there's absolutely no reason they can't make another two games. The world is a trial to see how it would change the characters. That's why TLOU is so much better than other games, and that's why putting charters and story before gameplay is the future of gaming. It gives it context and meaning.

Rozart

and dating sim elements

Haha, perfect.

coolasj19

I suspect the 50/50 is Naughty Dog doesn't really want to but Sony really does want them to.
The 50/50, is that they are still brainstorming ideas. If they can come up with a story to tell for TLoU 2, they will. If they come up with a story to tell for a new IP, they'll do that too. Regardless of which comes first, they'll make whichever they want to make first.
All of this.
The Last of Us became my favourite game ever last year. This was a one-and-done game for me and I feel like it told as much as it needed to without the need of a sequel. I'm glad we got Left Behind, but after it, no more.
Man, remember when the DLC was going to ruin everything?
I'm not actually sure anyone said this but my point still stands.

I don't know why everyone's so sure there will be a sequel. Sony is no stranger to leaving franchises behind and if Naughty Dog doesn't want to it won't happen.

Begaria

I absolutely want a sequel. However, I want them to pull a Walking Dead Episode 2 and have us playing an older Ellie, and no Joel. I want to see what kind of adult she'd become under Joel's guidance and see how that goes.

I'll even give them title: The End of Me.

You know where I'm going with that title.

I am betting they won't work on TLOU2 or TLOU Definitive Edition for PS4.

The entire purpose of creating a second team was to avoid Uncharted fatigue. I really don't see these guys falling in the same trap and working on another TLOU for the next 3 or 4 years.

They will jump on a new IP guaranteed! This leaves the Uncharted 4 team in the limbo, they might take over TLOU, but this can create rifts. I am sure Amy is brewing ideas for a new IP as well

The Jer

I trust Naughty Dog. If they make a sequel, I'm sure it'll be good. I'm sure a new IP will also be good.

That being said, TLOU felt complete. It doesn't really feel like it calls for a sequel. If I had to choose, I'd choose no sequel.

Aksala

Banned
I really hope they concentrate on making a proper game this time. Honestly, some of these developers are undecided as to whether they are making a game or a movie. Ultimately, their product is a mediocre combination of both.

Also, I didn't care at all for the girl. Not one bit.

Edit:
The part with the giraffe was very unrealistic. In real life a giraffe will not let you touch its face. They are very terrified of people. So, yeah... The scene was just a cheesy knock-off of a similar scene from Jurassic Park

KumaJG

I don't think it's fair to automatically write off a sequel with Joel and Ellie. I trust them completely to be able to jump back into those characters and continue their story, they've done such a good job that I think they've earned that right. It didn't technically "end", and if they feel they have something worthwhile to tell, I have full faith in them.

ND did mention the story of Joel and Ellie is done. Either way ND already have my money lol.

Alienous

I suspect the 50/50 is Naughty Dog doesn't really want to but Sony really does want them to.

I don't envy anyone on that team. Making a TLOU 2 is probably the easiest option they have, despite being ridiculously daunting. They've built that world, are immersed in it, know its style etc. But I'm sure they want to give the IP some distance. TLOU is their Shadow of the Colossus, and there's no way they'll entertain a bad sequel.

So they probably feel pushed to do something different. They're probably toying with Jak & Daxter right around now, again. Then, soon, they'll probably look into a genre they haven't tried yet ("Let's make a driving game"). I don't think they'll go with TLOU 2, and they'll probably end up doing a really sexy Jak & Daxter with gorgeous space exploration.

But it seems like Sony's position is "make something, or make TLOU 2". And coming up with a brand new IP as interesting as TLOU, then balancing those new IPs ... eh, I don't even think Naughty Dog can manage that. I think they'll play it fairly safe.

M

Macapala

Unconfirmed Member
I can say with near 100% certainty that a sequel with Joel/Ellie will cheapen the first game. That story is as complete as it needs to be. The only reason I'd want to see a TLoU sequel is to get an entire game with the ability to have 3-way combat scenarios like the Left Behind DLC has. Give me that with a new cast in a new adventure, and I'll be okay with it.

I'd still rather a new IP before a sequel, though.

I had a mostly bad experience with Uncharted 3, so what exactly should I call it? If "bad" is sacrilege for whatever reason, "highly disappointing" is a fine alternate that doesn't seem to rile people up as much.

When I say "bad game" I'm referring to games like Duke Nukem Forever or Brink. Shit like that deserves to be called a bad game. UC3, while s bit disappointing after UC2, is a much higher quality game than the two I just mentioned and does not deserve the "bad game" label.

I want a story where we play as a grown up Ellie. She would go on a journey and finally find a definite cure by sacrificing herself. That way, Joel choice would've been correct.

In the end Naughty Dog should make whatever game they want. If their heart isn't in making a new IP then why would I want that? If they have good ideas and are excited for a sequel for something then go for it. Yeah personally I'd like a new IP sooner or later and I'd be more worried if it was another studio but they'll deliver on it eventually. Till then, just make something good.

And ND has said that they made a second team in part so that people wouldn't leave the studio. Do you really think that Sony's going to pressure Bruce and Neil to make a game they don't want and have them leave the company? So, yeah they get TLoU 2. But they lose two of their most talented minds.

Don't do it Naughty Dog. Just don't do it. Just because something is successful doesn't mean it needs a sequel, I wish more people would realize this.

TLOU ended perfectly, all you could do is cheapen it with a sequel.

TLOU 2: Electric Boogaloo

Nooooooo!

Raonak

Banned
I'd rather them not do a TLOU2 until the tail end of the generation.
make U4, then new IP, possibly sequel, then TLOU2

coolasj19

No they didn't.
Here you go.
PS Blog Article said:
How expansive is the universe and mythos you’ve created. Have you left space for more stories?
Neil Druckmann: We’ve spent a lot of time researching the world and the disease and how institutions react to a pandemic. But then a lot of that stuff is in the background and we’re very conscious of keeping it there. Because that’s not what the story is about – it’s about these two characters and the journey they go on.
I think the world is ripe for more stories, but as far as the journey Joel and Ellie goes on it ends with this game. We were very conscious that we didn’t want to leave this story dangling. If we never do a sequel we’re ok with it, because we told the story we needed to tell.

And to approximately 50% of this thread,
post-23810-I-find-your-lack-of-faith-dist-4mSE.gif

Top Bottom