• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog Confirms No New Info On Factions At TLOU Day

xrnzaaas

If they really ARE working on a TLOU2 remaster, holy shit.

I will be gobsmacked and simultaneously unsurprised when 6 million people buy it
Nah, TLoU2 actually took its time to reach a satisfying sales goal for such a huge and expensive project. Plus TLoU1 Remake didn't set the charts on fire and the fact that the improvements weren't really major may scare away the players this time (especially if Sony charges full price again).

TLoU 2 remake is probably going to get a temporary boost thanks to the second season of the tv show, but it's gotta be a small side project for them.

StueyDuck

I feel it's safe to say that project is in a little trouble. I just hope their new IP is on track and is all hands on deck.

I love TLoU but I could easily use a break from it

Man, how ND has fallen. I mean, I like TLOU, but what are they doing? They were THE Sony studio during the PS3 gen, then only pretty good on PS4, and now nothing. Insomniac are kicking their ass.
Give them time, TLOU2 released 2020 remember? Just drop this GAAS game and move everyone onto TLOU3 or something new.

Ozriel

M$FT
So hang on, they release TLOU2 on PS4 in June 2020, upgraded it for PS5 in May 2021, get to finish off dev on the Part 1 remake released in September 2022, with a Windows port released in March 2023.

Oh, and of course there was the HBO mini-series in the mix also...

That seems like quite a bit of output given 20/21 were massively disrupted by Covid and there had to be major downtime following the crunch to get TLOU2 done - including a transition to remote working for the final push - as that project had been in full production since 2017 with pre-prod apparently commencing around 2014.

I think some people need to adjust their expectations to a rational level.

A beat by beat remake isn’t tying up an entire studio, and I’m not sure the developers stopped making games to shoot the HBO show

I think people just expected they’d be showing something off at this point. But I have faith they’re cooking something really good.

Kindela

Banned
At this point in the previous gen they have already released Uncharted 4. This gen so far they released TLOU remake, which I wouldn't count as the same thing.
Seeing how we still don't know what their next game is going to be, and assuming they don't release it the moment they announce it, we could easily wait for their "first" new game until 2025. Wild.

Last edited:

Kupfer

I bet ND had a good Factions game going when Sony decided mid-development the game has to change to massively push the GaaS aspect.

TLOU Part II Factions was initially planned as a later free download for TLOU II wasn't it?

EDIT:

June 2018:
The Last of Us Part 2 will include a multiplayer component, the game’s co-director, Anthony Newman, told Polygon at E3 2018.
“There is going to be multiplayer with the game,” Newman said. “We’re really excited to share details about it, but that’s going to be at a later date.”
September 2019:
“Multiplayer will not be included with The Last of Us Part 2,” said Anthony Newman, the game’s co-director. “I know we had kind of announced that [it would have multiplayer], but as the game has developed, it’s become so ambitious, so grand in scope, and so intricate in its complexity, that it really required the full focus of the studio to deliver this single-player experience.”
June 2022:
Druckmann said Naughty Dog wasn’t ready to reveal much about the game so far, but he did have a piece of concept art to share, showing two characters overlooking an apocalyptic city. Druckmann did say that the stand-alone multiplayer game will be as big as the developer’s single-player games, “and in some ways bigger.”

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

Hilarious.

2007 U1
2008 ..
2009 U2
2010 ..
2011 U3, UGA on Vita (bend studio)
2012 ..
2013 Last of Us

2014 Fired Amy; Druckmann now hearts Anita
2015 ..
2016 U4
2017 U4 DLC
2018 ..
2019 ..
2020 Last of Us 2
2021 ..
2022 Last of Us remake
2023 ..
2024 ??

LOL

Matthew 7:15-20

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Hilarious.

2007 U1
2008 ..
2009 U2
2010 ..
2012 ..
2013 Last of Us

2015 ..
2016 U4
2017 U4 DLC
2018 ..
2019 ..
2020 Last of Us 2
2021 ..
2022 Last of Us remake
2023 ..
2024 ??

LOL
Horizon Zero Dawn - 2017 > Horizon Forbidden West 2022
God of War 2018 > God of War Ragnarok 2022
Ghost of Tsushima 2022 >
Days Gone 2017 >

It's very clear that games are just taking longer to make.

Ghost of Tsushima 2022 >
Days Gone 2017 >

Cinematics and directing actors is certainly taking long to do (and increases the budget a lot). But did those first 2 games meaningly improve (gameplay, game design) from the previous game? Not really. Look at what Nintendo and From Software are doing comparatively.

Last edited:

Business

Modern ND knows no retrain. They only had to do the same multiplayer game with new maps using assets from the second game, remake part one maps and see if they could implement things like crawling from part II into the mix. Instead they thought they would do the biggest MP game ever with a single player like story, sell it standalone, make it gaas and whatnot. It's a bit like part II being too long for it's own good or UC4 DLC ending up being a stand alone game. Gross missmanagement, I hope heads roll because where's the output?

They should really can it or just leave it for TLOU 3. Part 2 released over 3 years ago, I dont think anyone is as excited for a mutiplayer mode only after so long. Id rather get a new full game.

Last edited:
Ghost of Tsushima 2022 >
Days Gone 2017 >

Days Gone? That studio and any sequel are long gone. There wont be a DG2. Also, Days Gone released in 2019, not 2017.

"Hey guys come and enjoy our 10-year anniversary for TLOU with us while absolutely NOT talking about anything related to TLOU"

How is a multiplayer mode based on TLOU universe and characters not TLOU related??? Its LITERALLY a mode made for TLOU franchise except they didnt manage to finish it on time for Part 2 and probably wont at all.

Last edited:

Xtib81

Idk what they're doing with this online game but they must have gone through development hell for a while, it's taking wayyyy too long. The pressure must be immense for the team.

So hang on, they release TLOU2 on PS4 in June 2020, upgraded it for PS5 in May 2021, get to finish off dev on the Part 1 remake released in September 2022, with a Windows port released in March 2023.

Oh, and of course there was the HBO mini-series in the mix also...

They just ported the game on the new systems with 60fps. There isnt even a 4K patch still. Theres minimum effort for that. The TV series is made by a totally different group of people that are not even part of ND team. Just the higher ups were there as advisors for story content. A game studio fo 300+ people have nothing to do with the TV show. Thats all HBO crew. Even the PC port, its just a port, they arent remaking or making new assets...oh and it came out in a shit state anyway lol. 300 ppl are not working on a port.

Last edited:
Nah, TLoU2 actually took its time to reach a satisfying sales goal for such a huge and expensive project. Plus TLoU1 Remake didn't set the charts on fire and the fact that the improvements weren't really major may scare away the players this time (especially if Sony charges full price again).

TLoU 2 remake is probably going to get a temporary boost thanks to the second season of the tv show, but it's gotta be a small side project for them.
So how exaclty would a TLOU 2 remake do any better lol. It makes no sense to "remake" a 3 yr old game. If TLOU 1 R didnt push sales, this will do even worse.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Cinematics and directing actors is certainly taking long to do (and increases the budget a lot). But did those first 2 games meaningly improve (gameplay, game design) from the previous game? Not really. Look at what Nintendo and From Software are doing comparatively.
Nintendo out sources a lot of their games.
Elden Ring was in development for nearly 5 years. They also had a more employees for years while many Sony first part studios started expanding a few years ago.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Naughty Dog this gen:

wimpy-cold-emails.jpg

Insomniac this gen:

Flex-Lewis-Holding-All-His-Olympia-Medals.jpg

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Hilarious.

2007 U1
2008 ..
2009 U2
2010 ..
2012 ..
2013 Last of Us

2015 ..
2016 U4
2017 U4 DLC
2018 ..
2019 ..
2020 Last of Us 2
2021 ..
2022 Last of Us remake
2023 ..
2024 ??

LOL

Matthew 7:15-20

PS3 era they were on fire and shaped Sony studios....First Amy, then Bruce and the Studio is clearly struggling.... All the departures, burning through all the staff to where they had to hire Hollywood special effects staff to finish TLOU II...... Now the Co president leaves and Niel is left to take over the world.

Flutta

Banned
Something is def going on at ND. Missmanagement, dev hell whatever you want to call it. This is not a good look for ND.

Jimbo or Hermen needs to step in here… half the gen is almost gone and they still haven’t shown anything on the MP for a game that released on PS4.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Oh look, another thread to fake-bash Naughty Dog that, in the last 3.5 years, has released 1 ambitious GOTY, 1 remake, and 1 remaster, and is now working on multiple projects.

Insomniac should give other studios a few tips. Now we have a vacuum of PS exclusives after Spider-Man 2.

Things we know are in development right now are:
  • Wolverine (only teased) by Insomniac themselves (jeez, the studio that keeps on giving);
  • Guerilla Games with Horizon 3 (TBA);
  • Sucker Punch with HIGHLY probably Ghost of Tsushima 2 (TBA);
  • Naughty Dog with The Last of Us 3 (TBA, early production), Factions (TBA - development hell), and another unannounced project (TBA);
  • Santa Monica - no confirmation of any project yet, so not speculating;
  • Bungie with Destiny New Saga (TBA), Marathon - no release date;
  • Housemarque is said to be working on their next project but nothing else;
  • Team Asobi's next project (TBA)
  • Bend Studio is a (?) for now;
There are more stuff that were announced or be rumored to worked on but the list is getting long with a whole lot of nothing after SP2.

I'm legit curious if there'll be a huge downtime window for Sony Exclusives right now since Triple-A games take, at best, 4 years to make.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Oh look, another thread to fake-bash Naughty Dog that, in the last 3.5 years, has released 1 ambitious GOTY, 1 remake, and 1 remaster, and is now working on multiple projects.
How cool! Let's compare that to Insomniac's output in the last 3.5 years

DLC expansion for their 2018 game that only took 2 years to make
a showpiece title for the PS5
an upcoming sequel to their 2018 game.
A Wolverine game in development, too.

How about Capcom?

remake of Resident Evil 3, and 4, (which is actually different enough from the original game to warrant a purchase instead of just being a glorified reskin)
New Street Fighter and Monster Hunter games.
New Resident Evil game.

ND's output since the 2020s began have been pathetic. Now, to be fair, i can say that about every company besides Nintendo, but when you're talking Naughty Dog here which is supposed to be the michelin star of AAA first party third person story driven games, they should work on their output a bit more especially when Spiderman has similar production values, more fun gameplay, and doesnt take a fucking century to come out

Last edited:
Reminder at this point in ps4 cycle we had tlou 1 remaster and Uncharted 4 released. Insomniac really stole ND thunder this gen huh.

I mean...Factions was supposed to release this year. It was announced last year and Neil mentioned they would have more info later. It was Sony that basically stepped in because Bungie didn't like how the game was being monetized or something. It's hardly Naughty Dog's fault.

Dorohedoro

Today I learned there's such a thing as "TLOU Day".
It used to be called "Outbreak Day" but they deemed it too problematic after COVID so they renamed it to "TLoU Day". I wonder what Pandemic Studios would've renamed themselves if they still existed in 2020. :pie_thinking:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
How cool! Let's compare that to Insomniac's output in the last 3.5 years

DLC expansion for their 2018 game that only took 2 years to make
a showpiece title for the PS5
an upcoming sequel to their 2018 game.
A Wolverine game in development, too.

How about Capcom?

remake of Resident Evil 3, and 4, (which is actually different enough from the original game to warrant a purchase instead of just being a glorified reskin)
New Street Fighter and Monster Hunter games.
New Resident Evil game.

ND's output since the 2020s began have been pathetic. Now, to be fair, i can say that about every company besides Nintendo, but when you're talking Naughty Dog here which is supposed to be the michelin star of AAA first party third person story driven games, they should work on their output a bit more especially when Spiderman has similar production values, more fun gameplay, and doesnt take a fucking century to come out
Insomniac has more workers and is more productive. No doubt about that. Insomniac is arguably the most productive studio in the world right now, but Naughty Dog is no slouch either. And Capcom is a publisher, not a studio.

Their output has also been amazing in the last 10 years, especially when you consider that their current TLOU Online project hit road bumps.

There are way worse studios out there right now that haven't done jackshit in years but don't get the same criticism as Naughty Dog does: Monolith, Ninja Theory, The Coalition, Rockstar, and more.

Besides, Naughty Dog is not there to churn games fast. Their USP is that they release fewer games but all of those games are mammoth AAAs that make waves. Insomniac produces more games but none of those are as big or create waves like Naughty Dog's games. Both these studios have different roles to play in PlayStation Studios.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Reminder at this point in ps4 cycle we had tlou 1 remaster and Uncharted 4 released. Insomniac really stole ND thunder this gen huh.
Insomniac are wizards. Love that studio and I haven't even finished A Rift Apart or the first Spiderman. Their new games don't quite grab me like their old ones do but they are one of the studios I respect the hell out of.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Insomniac should give other studios a few tips. Now we have a vacuum of PS exclusives after Spider-Man 2.

Things we know are in development right now are:
  • Wolverine (only teased) by Insomniac themselves (jeez, the studio that keeps on giving);
  • Guerilla Games with Horizon 3 (TBA);
  • Sucker Punch with HIGHLY probably Ghost of Tsushima 2 (TBA);
  • Naughty Dog with The Last of Us 3 (TBA, early production), Factions (TBA - development hell), and another unannounced project (TBA);
  • Santa Monica - no confirmation of any project yet, so not speculating;
  • Bungie with Destiny New Saga (TBA), Marathon - no release date;
  • Housemarque is said to be working on their next project but nothing else;
  • Team Asobi's next project (TBA)
  • Bend Studio is a (?) for now;
There are more stuff that were announced or be rumored to worked on but the list is getting long with a whole lot of nothing after SP2.

I'm legit curious if there'll be a huge downtime window for Sony Exclusives right now since Triple-A games take, at best, 4 years to make.
On the contrary, I think the "downtime window" is almost over, and new PS Studios games will start releasing from 2024 onwards at a very fast clip.

P.S. Helldivers 2, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, Lost Souls Aside are also PS Studios titles; xDev teams work on these games.

On the contrary, I think the "downtime window" is almost over, and new PS Studios games will start releasing from 2024 onwards at a very fast clip.

P.S. Helldivers 2, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar Blade, Lost Souls Aside are also PS Studios titles; xDev teams work on these games.
Oh forgot the third party exclusives. Thanks for the input. I even have Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade on my wishlist.

Xbox users asking for games from ND (TLOU 2020 goty with more than 300 awards, TLOU part1 2022) when they have been waiting since 2019-2020 for Everwild, Hellblade 2, SoD3, Perfect Dark, Fable, Avowed, etc... it's happening LOL , and look, I'm the first one who wants to see what ND is doing yesterday but a little common sense.

The evil psycho Joel that deserved to be golf clubbed to death by righteous Abby? That Joel Miller? K, I don't know why PlayStation celebrates their greatest villain's birthday. At least so I've been reliably informed by Druckmann and is remaining fans.

Also, nice output schedule. They didn't even make the reskin of part 1, it was mostly done by another studio lol, so they've done nothing since 2, not even the Multiplayer that was well in development pre release of 2.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
A lot of people in this thread still seem to think games take 3 years to make. Folks...it's 2023, not 2007. Update your software.

Toots

Gold Member
Feels a bit Stalinian of them. Everyone wants to talk about something, everyone knows everyone wants to talk about something, there's an event created for everyone to talk about that precise thing, but the People's Commissariat decreted that we are not to do that, just move along people...

Maybe the truth is, since Niel "i fantasize about killing palestinians" Druckmann is ND's new dictator, all the artists are working overtime to rewrite history so as to suit better the supreme leader (see exemple below).

Qjil17q.jpg

l7lZXaK.jpg

Top Bottom