• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog Confirms No New Info On Factions At TLOU Day

VN1X

Banned
Feels a bit Stalinian of them. Everyone wants to talk about something, everyone knows everyone wants to talk about something, there's an event created for everyone to talk about that precise thing, but the People's Commissariat decreted that we are not to do that, just move along people...

Maybe the truth is, since Niel "i fantasize about killing palestinians" Druckmann is ND's new dictator, all the artists are working overtime to rewrite history so as to suit better the supreme leader (see exemple below).

Qjil17q.jpg

l7lZXaK.jpg
Oh wait... I only just realized it's Druckmann.

All of this makes so much sense now haha.

Majormaxxx

Modern ND knows no retrain. They only had to do the same multiplayer game with new maps using assets from the second game, remake part one maps and see if they could implement things like crawling from part II into the mix. Instead they thought they would do the biggest MP game ever with a single player like story, sell it standalone, make it gaas and whatnot. It's a bit like part II being too long for it's own good or UC4 DLC ending up being a stand alone game. Gross missmanagement, I hope heads roll because where's the output?

I don't see how heads will roll when the catalyst for this (d)evolution at ND is president ND.

Camreezie

It's really quite remarkable. They came up with a simple and amazingly fun multiplayer game. The gameplay is near perfect, and all they needed to do is create some more multiplayer maps. But apparently that's just too hard.
Thats becauae they cant shove forced inclusiveness and gender politics into new maps

We are entitled and demand games to be released according to our own attention and hype schedules!
I don't really think it's thatb3 years is a decent period of time. A teaser splash logo or some sort of an announce trailer would suffice. No one expecting ND to release a game anytime soon.

Last edited:

aclar00

You know Jimbo has them GaaSin' it. They have to get all the monetizations down right and decide whether to sell it for $50, $60 or $70 (along with in-fame cost)....lots of work on the backend to make sure they get as much money as possible without burning the audience too much...lol

Dude... wtf are they doing.

I mean we all know what ever game the make is going to simply look like real life so I'll happily give them all the time they want but...

I want to play a new fucking game from them!

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
What percentage of the responses in this thread are from people who don't like GAAS and think TLOU Day is like GamesCom?

Eiknarf

It’s been 4.5 months since Naughty Dog’s tweet announcing “a new single player experience”, and there's still no leak or hint of what it might be?

It’s not like they just started making this new game 4.5 months ago. That’s just when they announced it - So how’s there no leaks/news?

Toots

Gold Member
I don't think they have ever released news on TLOU day, don't know why people expected anything different. The next time we see TLOU will be at a big conference.
Nevermind the fact ND is a videogame development studio, and as such no one should care about what they say if not about their games, I don't think the problem is them not telling us anything about the TLOU, it is them telling us that they won't.
Why specifically telling us they won't ?
Because they know people are waiting for it.

DrFigs

Nevermind the fact ND is a videogame development studio, and as such no one should care about what they say if not about their games, I don't think the problem is them not telling us anything about the TLOU, it is them telling us that they won't.
Why specifically telling us they won't ?
Because they know people are waiting for it.
You don't want people to get excited for a game announcement and then blindside them by announcing figurines and t-shirts or whatever.

Meh TLOU2 had incredible gameplay if you put that in multiplayer I’d get hundreds-thousands of hours in it.

TLOU3 will come but it’s time for us multiplayer guys to eat. New IP should be the next single player game anyway. I say should as in preferably
I remember when I thought the Part 1 remake would absolutely have to expand its crappy level design and basic combat to bring it up to speed with Part 2.

Bubba J What GIF by Jeff Dunham

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
People think the studio is falling apart becuas3 no game no update or game has been announced. It's like they don't know how a development cycle works.

Solidus_T

It's really quite remarkable. They came up with a simple and amazingly fun multiplayer game. The gameplay is near perfect, and all they needed to do is create some more multiplayer maps. But apparently that's just too hard.
They could even reuse some of the single player areas and change them just a bit

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
It’s been 4.5 months since Naughty Dog’s tweet announcing “a new single player experience”, and there's still no leak or hint of what it might be?

It’s not like they just started making this new game 4.5 months ago. That’s just when they announced it - So how’s there no leaks/news?
You bet your ass after the massive TLOU 2 leak, their ship is now air tight. We'll never get another leak from them ever again

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
How does it work?
The average development cycle for a triple-A game is 3-4 years. The Last of Us is just over 3 years old.

We know Fractions was delayed and devs were moved to other projects. So people expecting a full reveal during the Last of Us Day doesn't make any sense. At the very least, they would reveal it at a major event if they were ready and the only one that's close is The Video Game Awards.

It was reported that Sony's first party titles have been delayed.

I posted this earlier.
Horizon Zero Dawn - 2017 > Horizon Forbidden West 2022
God of War 2018 > God of War Ragnarok 2022
Ghost of Tsushima 2022 >
Days Gone 2019 >

As I just said, Naughty Dog released Last of Us Part II just over 3 years ago, and look at the time frame of the other games.

We're likely to hear more announcements in 2024.

Also have to note that Naughty Dog said they'll start announcing games when they're closer to being released to avoid crunch.

THere's nothing unusual with the time frame. People are just looking for a reason to complain.

You bet your ass after the massive TLOU 2 leak, their ship is now air tight. We'll never get another leak from them ever again
You'd be surprised. It doesn't really matter these days how airtight your stuff is. If anything, the Microsoft leak that occurred a week ago goes to show how something so massive can easily leak out due to a stupid human error or something really unfortunate happening.

Sony also just got ransomware hacked. Capcom's entire release schedule also got leaked about 2 or 3 years ago in a ransomware attack as well. Nothing is safe these days due to how the digital world works. Hell, even GTA6 had a huge Lela yesterday with a gameplay build and footage. Bigger companies are usually the targets as well.

Last edited:
Fingers crossed, it was rumoured that they're working on some sort of medieval fantasy IP. Makes sense for them to go in that direction if you think in terms of the studios creative health.
Tbh I was really wanting Sci-Fi. There are so many medieval games out there already. I want another sci fi universe that makes me fall love like Mass Effect did.

Last edited:
Tbh I was really wanting Sci-Fi. There are so many medieval games out there already. I want another sci fi universe that makes me fall love like Mass Effect did.

Isn't SSM working on a sci-fi game already?

I know it would be cool to see one from Naughty Dog but at the same time it's also nice to see some diversity in the Playstation first party portfolio.

GrayChild

A lot of people in this thread still seem to think games take 3 years to make. Folks...it's 2023, not 2007. Update your software.
They still do... if you manage your team and resources carefully.

Death Stranding took 3 years to make.

FROM Software delivered Sekiro, Elden Ring and Armored Core 6 in a 4-year period.

CAPCOM's Production Studio 1 released like 5 Resident Evil games for the past 6 years.

Remedy released Control in 2019, remastered Alan Wake 1 in 2021 and are currently preparing the release of AWII, with 3 other projects in development.

Let's not forget Insomniac, Team Ninja, Asobo etc...

After TLOU2 Naughty Dog released a rather barebones remaster, the laziest remake I've ever seen, the single worst PC port I've played in my last 10 years of computer gaming (alongside Deadly Premonition), and are now struggling to finish what is a simple multiplayer add-on-turned-separate GaaS title.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
We got some new news on this The Last of Us day.

Sony have ordered a merchandise maker who has been making figures, including TLoU figures, to destroy all of their merch and not sell any pending orders.

Example of one of their statues:

vertical_1_3_3.jpg

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Sony have ordered a merchandise maker who has been making figures, including TLoU figures, to destroy all of their merch and not sell any pending orders.

vertical_1_3_3.jpg

WTF?!

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

vertical_1_3_3.jpg

This can't be real?

What the actual fuck?

[Sigma]

Them bad boys on track to have had released 1 new single player game, possibly a remaster, multiplayer game and a remake for the entire generation. All on the same ip lol. I want to try out that multiplayer but other than that, ive realized that im just not a fan of this studio anymore. Not a big fan of Santa Monica currently neither.

Three

vertical_1_3_3.jpg

Guy has been waiting for a figurine shipment for 5 years? Honestly this just sounds like a weird story.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
They still do... if you manage your team and resources carefully.

Death Stranding took 3 years to make.

FROM Software delivered Sekiro, Elden Ring and Armored Core 6 in a 4-year period.

CAPCOM's Production Studio 1 released like 5 Resident Evil games for the past 6 years.

Remedy released Control in 2019, remastered Alan Wake 1 in 2021 and are currently preparing the release of AWII, with 3 other projects in development.

Let's not forget Insomniac, Team Ninja, Asobo etc...

After TLOU2 Naughty Dog released a rather barebones remaster, the laziest remake I've ever seen, the single worst PC port I've played in my last 10 years of computer gaming (alongside Deadly Premonition), and are now struggling to finish what is a simple multiplayer add-on-turned-separate GaaS title.

You're not making any sense.

-Death Stranding took 3 years to make while we're jus 3 years out of Last of Us Part II. The average major dev cycle is 3-4 years.
- From Software had around 350 devs in 2020 while Naughty Dog had around 200.
- You're comparing a major publisher in Capcom to a development studio in Naughty Dog. Capcom has two major development studios, which are called Division 1 and Division 2. Resident Evil 3 was outsourced by another development studio.
- Remedy has around 350 employees and theirs no doubt that their games are on a smaller scale compared to many Sony's first party studios.

Why did it take more than 3 years to develop God of War Ragnarok, Horizon Forbidden West? Why haven't we heard anything from Sucker Punch and Bend Studio?

GrayChild

You're not making any sense.

-Death Stranding took 3 years to make while we're jus 3 years out of Last of Us Part II. The average major dev cycle is 3-4 years.
- From Software had around 350 devs in 2020 while Naughty Dog had around 200.
- You're comparing a major publisher in Capcom to a development studio in Naughty Dog. Capcom has two major development studios, which are called Division 1 and Division 2. Resident Evil 3 was outsourced by another development studio.
- Remedy has around 350 employees and theirs no doubt that their games are on a smaller scale compared to many Sony's first party studios.

Why did it take more than 3 years to develop God of War Ragnarok, Horizon Forbidden West? Why haven't we heard anything from Sucker Punch and Bend Studio?

- ND has more than 400 employees (at least 350 around the time TLOU2 was made). Sources:

That doesn't even take into account the ~1300 external contractors:

- This is why I mentioned only Division 1 when talking about Capcom. Nothing about their other stuff like Street Fighter, Exoprimal etc.

- Control was more expansive and content-rich than lots of Sony's first party output.

Both Sucker Punch and Bend are almost AA-level when it comes to their size. As for the first two, at least they have an excuse with their gigantic open-worlds. Something that Naughty Dog never even attempted.

Last edited:

Keihart

vertical_1_3_3.jpg

whack move by sony....the figures do look kinda shit tho, but i don't think that's the reason, most figures on the collectors editions look like shit.

Aenima

whack move by sony....the figures do look kinda shit tho, but i don't think that's the reason, most figures on the collectors editions look like shit.
Read the Reddit. The OP is waiting 5 years to receive his figure, another one waited 2 years before asking for a refund. The letter itself show all kinds of lack of professionalism by sharing a private email from Sony, and telling they clients to go ask Sony for the refunds.

Not knowing whats really going on it just seems the guys making the figures are way too slow to deliver and Sony decided to cut ties with them.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
- ND has more than 400 employees (at least 350 around the time TLOU2 was made). Sources:

That doesn't even take into account the ~1300 external contractors:

All of Sony's studios have been expanding over the past several years. As I said, they're much bigger now compared to 3 years ago.

Other devs also outsource their work for their major releases.
- This is why I mentioned only Division 1 when talking about Capcom. Nothing about their other stuff like Street Fighter, Exoprimal etc.
They have multiple teams within Division 1. It's not even comparable.

As of 2019 Division 1 consists of four development teams, dubbed "Departments", which all answer to Takeuchi as studio head, with Department 4 being the latest addition. This allows for Division 1 to work on four AAA titles in parallel in varying stages of development while allowing room for more games to enter pre-production.

- Control was more expansive and content-rich than lots of Sony's first party output.
Control's budget was around 30 million

Smaller game by comparison
Both Sucker Punch and Bend are almost AA-level when it comes to their size. As for the first two, at least they have an excuse with their gigantic open-worlds. Something that Naughty Dog never even attempted.
Sucker Punch and Ben are not almost AA level. They're a triple a development studios. Days Gone and Ghost of Tsushima weren't small games.

You ignored the development time of Horizon and God of War.

Let's not forget Gran Turismo

GT6 2013 > GTS 2017 > GT7 2022

yurinka

Sucker Punch are AAA level regarding their size and games.

You ignored the development time of Horizon and God of War.

Let's not forget Gran Turismo

GT6 2013 > GTS 2017 > GT7 2022
Horizon, GoW and GT took average development time for AAA games, nothing rare.

Control's budget was around 30 million
The article is obviously wrong, AAA games cost way more than that. The $30M (25€ according to Remedy document linked in the article) budget was only for the initial development of a Control MP spinoff (the development budget and marketing budget will be split 50%-50% between Remedy and 505):
https://i.ibb.co/sVVWgLn/image.png

Last edited:

yurinka

The average development cycle for a triple-A game is 3-4 years. The Last of Us is just over 3 years old.
The previous generation was that long more or less. Now it's around 5-6 years. As a reference, Spider-Man 2 is going to take 5 years.

And the Factions game is ND's biggest game ever and their first MP only and their first GaaS game and their first brand new game this gen, so may take longer.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The previous generation was that long more or less. Now it's around 5-6 years. As a reference, Spider-Man 2 is going to take 5 years.

And the Factions game is ND's biggest game ever and their first MP only and their first GaaS game and their first brand new game this gen, so may take longer.
Sucker Punch are AAA level regarding their size and games.

Horizon, GoW and GT took average development time for AAA games, nothing rare.

The article is obviously wrong, AAA games cost way more than that. The $30M (25€ according to Remedy document linked in the article) budget was only for the initial development of a Control MP spinoff (the development budget and marketing budget will be split 50%-50% between Remedy and 505):
https://i.ibb.co/sVVWgLn/image.png
Yes, the point is that it takes at least 3-4 years of development time and the average timeframe from Sony studios (even third party studios) shows that.

People throwing a tantrum because Naughty Dog hasn't announced a new game.

Top Bottom