• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog Confirms No New Info On Factions At TLOU Day

Chronicle

Tlou Factions is my most game played ever. I play it religiously. This factions thing is starting to stink though. The real fans of this mp just want factions. Whatever other grand plans you have (and they're welcome), please just in there somewhere give us factions.

Roni

Gold Member
Its been 3 years.

What the FUCK are they doing except posting how much they love their own tv show

At this rate, the GaaS model will be dead and buried by the time they feel like sharing anything about this title.

Roni

Gold Member
Nah, TLoU2 actually took its time to reach a satisfying sales goal for such a huge and expensive project. Plus TLoU1 Remake didn't set the charts on fire and the fact that the improvements weren't really major may scare away the players this time (especially if Sony charges full price again).

TLoU 2 remake is probably going to get a temporary boost thanks to the second season of the tv show, but it's gotta be a small side project for them.
Remaking TLOU2 would be borderline ridiculous. Unless they leap forward another generation with TLOU3, there's no reason to touch 1 or 2 again.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
They still do... if you manage your team and resources carefully.

Death Stranding took 3 years to make.

FROM Software delivered Sekiro, Elden Ring and Armored Core 6 in a 4-year period.

CAPCOM's Production Studio 1 released like 5 Resident Evil games for the past 6 years.

Remedy released Control in 2019, remastered Alan Wake 1 in 2021 and are currently preparing the release of AWII, with 3 other projects in development.

Let's not forget Insomniac, Team Ninja, Asobo etc...

After TLOU2 Naughty Dog released a rather barebones remaster, the laziest remake I've ever seen, the single worst PC port I've played in my last 10 years of computer gaming (alongside Deadly Premonition), and are now struggling to finish what is a simple multiplayer add-on-turned-separate GaaS title.

Death Stranding is the exception to the rule.

All the other games you listed were created over a 5+ year period by separate teams within the publishers you listed.

yurinka

Yes, the point is that it takes at least 3-4 years of development time and the average timeframe from Sony studios (even third party studios) shows that.

People throwing a tantrum because Naughty Dog hasn't announced a new game.
No, AAA don't take 3-4 years to be developed anymore. They take longer for Sony and everybody else.

Every new generation AAA games take longer to be made, even if they add more workers to the development, because they require way more work.

Spider-Man 1 took around 4 years. Spider-Man 2 being the 3rd game in the series should take maybe even less time but it's going to take more, 5 years even if pretty likely will be developed by more people.

Since TLOU2 Naughty Dog announced TLOU Online and announced and released Uncharted Legacy of Thieves PS5, Uncharted Legacy of Thieves PC, TLOUP1 PS5, TLOUP1 PC. Plus mentioned they are working in more games including at least a narrative single player game. And on top of that the movie, tv show and theme park rides.

Remaking TLOU2 would be borderline ridiculous. Unless they leap forward another generation with TLOU3, there's no reason to touch 1 or 2 again.
I think they won't remake it, but instead make a TLOU2 Director's Cut. Pretty likely a slightly remastered PS5 version with TLOUP1 visuals including TLOUP1 bundled to optionally play both in a row. And then some time later the PC port.

It would be released around the second season of the tv show. Pretty likely made by the same people who made Legacy of Thieves and TLOUP1 and their pc ports.

TLOUR, TLOU2, TLOUP1 and TLOUP1 PC got great sales/got boosted thanks to the tv show, so make sure that for the second season, set in the events of TLOU2, they'll release PS5 and PC versions of TLOU2. But obviously not being a remake, just minor tweaks.

Last edited:

0neAnd0nly

Naughty Dog definitely embodies the modernity of working in America and the west.

Not surprised their output has fallen DRASTICALLY.

Too busy making everything an "art" with a "message" and have forgotten how to actually just MAKE A GAME.

Alex Scott

I mean...Factions was supposed to release this year. It was announced last year and Neil mentioned they would have more info later. It was Sony that basically stepped in because Bungie didn't like how the game was being monetized or something. It's hardly Naughty Dog's fault.
According to Bloomberg it was something releated to "Bungie raised questions about the The Last of Us multiplayer project’s ability to keep players engaged for a long period of time, which led to the reassessment." It might be Naughty Dog's fault. They might have bitten off more than they can chew.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
No, AAA don't take 3-4 years to be developed anymore. They take longer for Sony and everybody else.

Every new generation AAA games take longer to be made, even if they add more workers to the development, because they require way more work.

Spider-Man 1 took around 4 years. Spider-Man 2 being the 3rd game in the series should take maybe even less time but it's going to take more, 5 years even if pretty likely will be developed by more people.

Since TLOU2 Naughty Dog announced TLOU Online and announced and released Uncharted Legacy of Thieves PS5, Uncharted Legacy of Thieves PC, TLOUP1 PS5, TLOUP1 PC. Plus mentioned they are working in more games including at least a narrative single player game. And on top of that the movie, tv show and theme park rides.
I said it takes 3-4 years at least. There aren't too many big-budget games that release in under 3 years unless it's a sports game.

Fishels

Tbh I was really wanting Sci-Fi. There are so many medieval games out there already. I want another sci fi universe that makes me fall love like Mass Effect did.
Would you want it to be open world or Linear?
Personally I am also hoping for Sci-Fi but if so I want it to be really unique. Like wow we’ve never seen it portrayed that way

A main character as good or Joel or Drake is a must

Would you want it to be open world or Linear?
Personally I am also hoping for Sci-Fi but if so I want it to be really unique. Like wow we’ve never seen it portrayed that way

A main character as good or Joel or Drake is a must
Probably semi-linear like TLOU 2 was where you could go a bit off a beaten path. I believe Naughty Dog stated a while ago they will never start making open world games. Open-ended/more exploration maybe but not fully open world world. If you've noticed Uncharted 4 was linear, but it had much bigger open areas, every new game they made would get bigger and bigger gradually but still have linearity.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
With all due respect, devs working in California are getting a bit too distracted with less productivity. I think Sony, the mother company, should push SIE to focus more elsewhere to build a more productive studios in countries with devs that are extremely eager to work on new games.

I have extreme doubts that TLOU Factions needs all this time, it's a fucking online game and I don't expect they're planning to make it Fortnite killer for instance.

THere's nothing unusual with the time frame. People are just looking for a reason to complain.
Factions has been in development long before TLOU 2, which you seem to have forgotten so now I'm reminding you. Not even showing any updates + the recent official news about it confirm the development hell.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Factions has been in development long before TLOU 2, which you seem to have forgotten so now I'm reminding you. Not even showing any updates + the recent official news about it confirm the development hell.
It wasn't in development "long before" TLOU 2.

Maybe YOU forgot that it was in development alongside TLOU2 and then the development team was taken off the project to finish up TLOU 2. The project was rebooted as a standalone game.

GrayChild

All of Sony's studios have been expanding over the past several years. As I said, they're much bigger now compared to 3 years ago.

The articles I posted literally confirm that ND had 350 devs during the development of TLoU 2, not after that.

They have multiple teams within Division 1. It's not even comparable.

And that division handles many other franchises apart from RE:

Capcom has two internal Consumer Games Development divisions: Division 1, headed by Jun Takeuchi, with Resident Evil, Mega Man, Devil May Cry, Dead Rising, Dragon's Dogma and other major franchises (usually targeting global audiences).

Control's budget was around 30 million

Smaller game by comparison

If anything, this kinda confirms how bloated and inefficient a lot of modern AAA productions are. But nothing else.

You ignored the development time of Horizon and God of War.

Horizon also had a major expansion and a VR title released very shortly after Forbidden West. And as I said, both Horizon and God of War's scope is much, much bigger than anything ND ever attempted to do.

It wasn't in development "long before" TLOU 2.

Maybe YOU forgot that it was in development alongside TLOU2 and then the development team was taken off the project to finish up TLOU 2. The project was rebooted as a standalone game.
So you claim that every bit of code was scrapped from from pre release of 2, and the footage that was leaked is a part of that scrapped forever unreleased version? Okay. That's an explanation not an excuse for terrible management and proof of development hell, thank you for the concession.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The articles I posted literally confirm that ND had 350 devs during the development of TLoU 2, not after that.
That's because numbers have been floating around for years.

Earlier this week, poorly redacted court documents revealed the time and budget allocated to Horizon Forbidden West and The Last of Us Part 2. Both games took more than five years and more than $200 million to develop. It took 300 employees working from 2017 to 2022 to make Horizon Forbidden West at a cost of $212 million, while Naughty Dog peaked at 200 studio employees as it spent $220 million over 70 months.

This was from 2021
“We did a lot of work at the end of The Last of Us 2… we’ve made some pretty big changes,” Wells said. “We’re adding more titles and hierarchy to our studio. We’ve always been trying to hold onto those garage days, [like] back in the days when I joined and I was the 14th employee, and try and maintain that nimbleness. But now we’re 300 people in the studio and things have to change, right?
They had a lot of restructuring after the development of TLOU 2

And that division handles many other franchises apart from RE:
As I said before, they have MULTIPLE teams in Division 1

If anything, this kinda confirms how bloated and inefficient a lot of modern AAA productions are. But nothing else.
You're proving nothing with that.
Horizon also had a major expansion and a VR title released very shortly after Forbidden West. And as I said, both Horizon and God of War's scope is much, much bigger than anything ND ever attempted to do.
A major expansion is smaller than a full-size game.

This still tells us nothing because Horizon Zero Dawn was released in 2017 and Horizon Forbidden West was released in 2022. That's just a shade under 5 years.

Horizon Call of the Mountain was primarily developed by Firesprite.

Godot25

Banned
Why are people surprised by this?
Yeah, Factions is borked, because Naughty Dog was boneheaded in making GAAS game "their way" and Bungo told them that people would not play their game long term. Which is kinda problem if you are making GAAS game.

But their next game is just...in normal dev cycle? People try to pretend that PlayStation Studios (outside of Insomniac) have magic pill to make games faster. Which is not true. 5 year dev cycle is and will be standard this gen. if you are making new IP, even longer since pre-production in those titles is also longer.

TLDR; Factions is in deep shit, bu them not announcing anything 3 years after TLOU 2 release is just reality of game development nowadays.

Why the fuck are they wasting years on a last of us multiplayer only when they could have almost finished a single player new ip by now? They're going to waste an entire generation on this crap. I play naughty dog games for a single player narrative experience. Not a stupid multiplayer live service game. Are sony trying to kill the first party they've built up all these years. They had a good formula and now they're fucking it all up!

Last edited:

GrayChild

A major expansion is smaller than a full-size game.
Still beats doing absolutely nothing of value during this time.

No matter how you try to twist the facts, Naughty Dog could not ship something that's technically just a slightly expanded multiplayer mode, which was included for free with the first game and had to be bundled with the sequel.

They fucked up and it's obvious they're on a downward spiral. All thanks to Druckmann's "flawless" management and bloated ego.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
So you claim that every bit of code was scrapped from from pre release of 2, and the footage that was leaked is a part of that scrapped forever unreleased version? Okay. That's an explanation not an excuse for terrible management and proof of development hell, thank you for the concession.

The leaked footage was dated March 2018 and March 2020.
The footage from 2018 looked like the original fractions.
Footage from 2020 showed footage that was clearly a Battle Royal type of mode that was placed in Seattle. They were using many assets from The Last of Us Part II. There were place holders everyhwere.

Concept art shows the location has moved to California, which means many assets were scrapped.

I just told you facts and you're making excuses because you told me some inaccurate information.

Where is this proof that it was in development LONG before TLOU 2.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Still beats doing absolutely nothing of value during this time.

No matter how you try to twist the facts, Naughty Dog could not ship something that's technically just a slightly expanded multiplayer mode, which was included for free with the first game and had to be bundled with the sequel.

They fucked up and it's obvious they're on a downward spiral. All thanks to Druckmann's "flawless" management and bloated ego.
You're dodging every single point I made because you know you couldn't have an answer for it.

Why did it take nearly 5 years to release Horizon Forbidden West?

Where's Sucker Punch's new game? They released theirs a month after TLOU 2.

You tried comparing studios taking smaller projects to TLOU 2. You also tried to compare Capcom Studios (which are much bigger) to Naughty Dog.

Maybe you should stick with facts instead of trying to push a false narrative.

GrayChild

You're dodging every single point I made because you know you couldn't have an answer for it.

Why did it take nearly 5 years to release Horizon Forbidden West?

Where's Sucker Punch's new game? They released theirs a month after TLOU 2.

You tried comparing studios taking smaller projects to TLOU 2. You also tried to compare Capcom Studios (which are much bigger) to Naughty Dog.

Maybe you should stick with facts instead of trying to push a false narrative.

I already addressed every single point in my previous replies. If you want to remain in denial and keep simping to your Sarkeesian-worshipping idol, that's your choice.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I already addressed every single point in my previous replies. If you want to remain in denial and keep simping to your Sarkeesian-worshipping idol, that's your choice.
You didn't. Your post just got shorter every I debunked your false claims.

Where's Sucker Punches' new game?
Why did it take Guerrilla Games nearly 5 years to develop Horizon Forbidden West?

GrayChild

You didn't. Your post just got shorter every I debunked your false claims.

Where's Sucker Punches' new game?
Why did it take Guerrilla Games nearly 5 years to develop Horizon Forbidden West?

Apparently I have to repeat the same thing again and again.

1. Sucker Punch are a much smaller studio compared to the rest of Sony's first-party devs (~160 people according to the latest reports).

2. Much bigger scale compared to any ND game.

Hopefully you get it this time.

Last edited:

Godot25

Banned

1. Sucker Punch are a much smaller studio compared to the rest of Sony's first-party devs (~160 people according to the latest reports).

According to LinkedIn which is not 100% correct, but it paints a picture
Sucker Punch Productions - 215 employees
Naughty Dog - 890 employees
Sony Santa Monica - 398 employees
Insomniac Games - 521 employees

So basically Naughty Dog is 4x bigger then SPP.

Last edited:

kaizenkko

Why the fuck are they wasting years on a last of us multiplayer only when they could have almost finished a single player new ip by now? They're going to waste an entire generation on this crap. I play naughty dog games for a single player narrative experience. Not a stupid multiplayer live service game. Are sony trying to kill the first party they've built up all these years. They had a good formula and now they're fucking it all up!
Naughty Dog have almost 900 devs (plus a lot of support studios under SIE), they are probably working on more games than TLOU Factions.

People forgot how many time takes to develop AAA games these days. Normally 5+ years for a sequel and 7+ years for a new IP. Insomniac is a exception, not the rule.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Wait.
Studio size was irrelevant when you mentioned Remedy, Capcom, and the others and now it matters?

You just proved my point by saying this. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

You didn't answer my questions directly. You tried answering the Horizon question by throwing in the DLC and VR game (which was false) and now you're saying "it's a bigger scale."

Well, here's Resident Evil 2, a much smaller-scale game that took 600-800 employees to make.

Resident Evil 2 Remake was announced in 2015 that it was in development, it released in 2019

Resident Evil 8 development started in 2016 while they were developing Resident Evil 7. It took 3 and a half years to release.

So even with a smaller-scale game, it took Resident Evil 2 nearly 4 years to develop.

I can go on and on.. You're just throwing things that are not even true.

GrayChild

Wait.
Studio size was irrelevant when you mentioned Remedy, Capcom, and the others and now it matters?

You just proved my point by saying this. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

I never said that, so you can stop projecting.

Resident Evil 2 Remake was announced in 2015 that it was in development, it released in 2019

Resident Evil 8 development started in 2016 while they were developing Resident Evil 7. It took 3 and a half years to release.

And we're now almost 3 and a half years after TLoU2's release, while we haven't seen even a small teaser or a single minute of gameplay from Factions. Unless you're thinking they're gonna shadowdrop the game.

The leaked footage was dated March 2018 and March 2020.
The footage from 2018 looked like the original fractions.
Footage from 2020 showed footage that was clearly a Battle Royal type of mode that was placed in Seattle. They were using many assets from The Last of Us Part II. There were place holders everyhwere.

Concept art shows the location has moved to California, which means many assets were scrapped.

"I just told you facts and you're making excuses because you told me some inaccurate information."

Nothing I said was inaccurate, and you are the one making excuses. So again, everything scrapped pre 2? Trashfire management if so, and Factions 2 was factually in development before release of 2, irregardless of what happened for the developed content. But I see you will just keep hitting reply to everyone, thinking this makes you right. Imagine me replying the same thing infinitely on a loop since nothing changed at all with your post, so I'm just restating the same factually correct information. Minimum it's been in development pre 2018 unless you'll cope that they made the leaked footage in a few months. (lol but feel free)

So minimum 5+ some years so far, and not even close to release as per news + statement by Sony.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I never said that, so you can stop projecting.
You were doing it. Now you're denying it.
And we're now almost 3 and a half years after TLoU2's release, while we haven't seen even a small teaser or a single minute of gameplay from Factions. Unless you're thinking they're gonna shadowdrop the game.
ND games are bigger. Size matters, right?

You really shot yourself in the foot with that one.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Nothing I said was inaccurate, and you are the one making excuses. So again, everything scrapped pre 2? Trashfire management if so, and Factions 2 was factually in development before release of 2, irregardless of what happened for the developed content. But I see you will just keep hitting reply to everyone, thinking this makes you right. Imagine me replying the same thing infinitely on a loop since nothing changed at all with your post, so I'm just restating the same factually correct information. Minimum it's been in development pre 2018 unless you'll cope that they made the leaked footage in a few months. (lol but feel free)

So minimum 5+ some years so far, and not even close to release as per news + statement by Sony.
Nothing you said was inaccurate? Show me proof that the MP started development long before TLOU 2 as you said.

The entire city was scrapped because you're no longer in Seattle. All place holders were WLF and Scar modles.

The MP has a story, the OG mp clearly didn't. If the one in 2022 did, then it was likely changed because the new story takes place in California instead of Seattle.

Seems like a lot was scrapped..you're trying to tell me they kept a lot, including the code. Well, if the entire city was changed and now they have a story, a lot of stuff is new.

Now show me it was in development long before their last game

Nothing you said was inaccurate? Show me proof that the MP started development long before TLOU 2 as you said.

The entire city was scrapped because you're no longer in Seattle. All place holders were WLF and Scar modles.

The MP has a story, the OG mp clearly didn't. If the one in 2022 did, then it was likely changed because the new story takes place in California instead of Seattle.

Seems like a lot was scrapped..you're trying to tell me they kept a lot, including the code. Well, if the entire city was changed and now they have a story, a lot of stuff is new.

Now show me it was in development long before their last game
2 years minimun pre release isn't long? Now you're just arguing semantics, but yeah, more than 2 years before tlou2. Call it whatever you want. 5 years (minimum! Much as you'd like to ignore the minimum part too) and counting in total development time, release no where in sight.

Looking forward to another weird obfuscation attempt by you followed by me restating the same thing one more time.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

2 years minimun pre release isn't long? Now you're just arguing semantics, but yeah, more than 2 years before tlou2. Call it whatever you want. 5 years and counting in total development time, release no where in sight.

Looking forward to another weird obfuscation attempt by you followed by me restating the same thing one more time.
It wasn't long before.
Also, your comments are getting shorter after I showed you how many things were scrapped. I'm also not going to look forward to your future comments because you have shown me you don't know what you're talking about. You can continue this argument on your own.

I see you guys DForce DForce and IAmAnAgnostic IAmAnAgnostic have waited your entire lives to shine for this very moment.

MLugDwb.gif

Shubh_C63

They delayed the game by maybe 2 years after Bungie looked at their pipeline and probably said their overreliant on quality makes them dish out service based content way too slow. ND is probably re-defining the entire game according to Bungie expertise.

Its about a good game (60%) and how fast you can push new content the remaining.

It wasn't long before.
Also, your comments are getting shorter after I showed you how many things were scrapped. I'm also not going to look forward to your future comments because you have shown me you don't know what you're talking about. You can continue this argument on your own.
They're getting shorter because I'm repeating myself. Unlike you seem to think, more words doesn't equal more arguments. Refer to all previous comments, my statement is the same as in the very first and every other since.

Last edited:

Hayabusa83

Banned
I wonder if this will ever see the light of day. Multiplayer games focus solely on game play mechanics, which are a mystery to Kneel Cuckman.

ProtoByte

With all due respect, devs working in California are getting a bit too distracted with less productivity. I think Sony, the mother company, should push SIE to focus more elsewhere to build a more productive studios in countries with devs that are extremely eager to work on new games.

I have extreme doubts that TLOU Factions needs all this time, it's a fucking online game and I don't expect they're planning to make it Fortnite killer for instance.
Wasn't ND restructuring to avoid exactly this? How have they become less productive with producers in tow?

I guess that, "work life balance" bullshit, Neil's budding TV career and accethibility obsessiveness have created a real bureaucracy that's gotten in the way of people who actually want to make games.

PThis industry is collapsing, am I the only one seeing it?
Focusing on Naughty Dog/PlayStation, I think it's time to admit that this multiplayer shit was a mistake to even begin venturing. Factions has been in development for 4 years with repeated dev-hell problems, Horizon online's nowhere to be seen, 2 2nd party projects we know about got canceled, Fairgame$ (and that dollar sign in a fucking omen) looks like a shit idea, Concord is the second furthest along one they have in the chamber and they could only come up with a CGI trailer more vague and untelling than almost any "reveal" I've seen for the past 10 years in this industry.

Wouldn't be called a remaster, just a port LOL.
True. The same reason why I don't call TLOU Part 1 'remake' is because it provided nothing new apart from some graphic upgrades.
Since the fanbase accepted it as 'remake', they'll accept any definition..

Last edited:
Top Bottom