• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog receives 120 PS4 dev kits

panda-zebra

Start drooling
qrue.jpg

I'm drooling, but only because the closest boxes animate when I scroll with mouse wheel.

I wonder if a photo of ps3 devkits would work the same?

jaz013

Banned
Hardly new, since this is the equivalent of a Retro employee posting about receiving a bunch of WiiU dev-kits.

Retro or P*.

Truespeed

Hey, guys... Remember when MS bought Bungie?

So, just some background here, when Sony bought ND they purchased it from the founders Andy Gavin and Jason Rubin - who are no longer with Sony/ND. The ND of today is just as much a part of Sony as Sony is as part of ND. So, no there's no need to remember when MS bought Bungie because ND will always be part of Sony.

satam55

Banned
Bungie only bought themselves back because MS wouldn't give them enough freedom. ND can do whatever they want.

Also, the 2 founders & former Co-CEOs of ND (who Sony bought ND from) are no longer with ND. ND is 100% owned & managed by SCE. ND would never try to buy themselves out from SCE regardless.

LastNac

They actually have two teams now. Since 2011 if I remember correctly.

https://twitter.com/cbalestra/status/145672422534823936
I actually asked a ND dev about this at E3 and got the response that what they have are largely two creative teams. There isn't a 1:1 recreated staff per team. If you recall pretty much all of ND threw attention towards TLoU. Presumably ND will throw its full weight behind this title the closer it gets to release.

urge26

Now they've got enough dev kits for a new IP, TLoU 2 and Uncharted 4..... could you imagine getting those over the next 4 years over 4 new COD's and Assassins Creeds? Me neither.

satam55

Banned
So, just some background here, when Sony bought ND they purchased it from the founders Andy Gavin and Jason Rubin - who are no longer with Sony/ND. The ND of today is just as much a part of Sony as Sony is as part of ND. So, no there's no need to remember when MS bought Bungie because ND will always be part of Sony.

This!!!!! Jason Jones (the co-founder of Bungie) always remained with Bungie. So he was in position to buy out Bungie from MS.

Arkam

What is the norm for this sort of thing? I have no idea.

Depends on your studio size and relationship with first party.
At my old studio this was pretty normal. (Well at least after launch)

Regardless I like the idea of ND spreading their wings on some new hardware.
Good things will happen :)

Nexter

Banned
I actually asked a ND dev about this at E3 and got the response that what they have are largely two creative teams. There isn't a 1:1 recreated staff per team. If you recall pretty much all of ND threw attention towards TLoU. Presumably ND will throw its full weight behind this title the closer it gets to release.

That makes sense. Would be more efficient to move assets between two projects than to have an entire team be on standby while waiting for pre-production to finish.

beast786

Well, yeah, but the people working there are not Sony's property, and it's pretty much the thing that matters.

So I guess having a good relationship with them and making them happy could be one of Sony's priorities.

It most likely was not what he meant, but saying "ND is Sony, this doesn't matter" may not be exactly true.

that is true. keep people at ND are core for a while. And many go in and out. ready at dawn who is making exclusive THeOrder 1886 are bunch of X-naughty dog guys.

you hardly hear any bickering from Sony 1st party developers. even during the worst time. especially since the ice team , creation of WWS working and helping each other

beast786

Also, the 2 founders & former Co-CEOs of ND (who Sony bought ND from) are no longer with ND. ND is 100% owned & managed by SCE. ND would never try to buy themselves out from SCE regardless.

Its also Intresting how Mark Cerny was also involved with bringing ND .

its amazing how things evolve and back to same

Amir0x

Banned
Its also Intresting how Mark Cerny was also involved with bringing ND .

its amazing how things evolve and back to same

i just hope that means Knack is going to surprise us all. Seems most underwhelming launch game and I'm trying to keep excited for it since it's the only launch game like it and I love the idea of a send-up to oldschool PS1-era action platformers >_<

Considering b-team is rounding up their DLC for TLOU, I'm pretty sure it's about time they started working on the PS4 development. Right. On. Schedule.

FTF

120 more...oh my, the thought of PS4 Uncharted, TLOU2 and then a new IP make me warm and fuzzy inside.

satam55

Banned

Also this fact makes this thread look ridiculous: Should Naughty Dog buy themselves back from Sony?

That thread was nothing but clickbait & should've been closed by a mod.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I really hope they don't have an Uncharted or TLoU sequel on deck. That'd be so anticlimactic.

I really hope they don't have an Uncharted or TLoU sequel on deck. That'd be so anticlimactic.

I just don't get this. I've never seen a developer where people are basically constantly asking them to only make new IP's. ND made two new IP's this gen and their last new IP came out 3 months ago.

Spongebob

Banned
Well, yeah, but the people working there are not Sony's property, and it's pretty much the thing that matters.

So I guess having a good relationship with them and making them happy could be one of Sony's priorities.

It most likely was not what he meant, but saying "ND is Sony, this doesn't matter" may not be exactly true.
The same can be said for any company.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I just don't get this. I've never seen a developer where people are basically constantly asking them to only make new IP's. ND made two new IP's this gen and their last new IP came out 3 months ago.

Yeah, I don't get it either. I think we'll see at least one new IP from ND this gen, but I think we'll at see a sequel first.

Sony owns Naughty Dog.

Sony is Naughty Dog. Naughty Dog is Sony. The ICE-Team, which is one of the main technology groups withing SCE, is part of ND. They develop the tools for all first party studios. They're so deeply intertwined they can't be sold like that.

Top Bottom