• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog wraps up Uncharted 4 mocap

Alo0oy

Banned
Don't understand why the guy keeps insisting on this, especially since he was so anxious to have Sony actually release PS4 games a few threads back on a sales discussion:

Correction: he wants Sony to release games in the holidays, the console for some reason malfunctions outside the holidays.

bombshell

Does anyone feel like Sony will delay it to holiday 2016? Blowing their load too early in the year would be a bit odd as nothing else is a definite 2016 release.

Yeah, nothing else for 2016... except

Street Fighter V
Ratchet & Clank
The Last Guardian
Dreams
Horizon (this could slide to 2017)

Rumored:
GT7
GOW4
Quantic Dream next game

arne

Even though they announced it'd be March, I have doubts about that gaming actually coming out in Q1. Every PS3 Uncharted came out during the holidays.

And every PS4 game from Naughty Dog came out *not* during the end of the year holidays. haha. ;)

Kind of taking the piss, but we're tracking towards that early 2016 date, i wouldn't count on it being anything other than that.

Alo0oy

Banned
And every PS4 game from Naughty Dog came out *not* during the end of the year holidays. haha. ;)

Kind of taking the piss, but we're tracking towards that early 2016 date, i wouldn't count on it being anything other than that.

Thanks Arne, now the baseless speculation can stop.

Done with mocap completely or just finished with Sully and Elena's actors? Sounds like the latter to me. Probably more work to be done with Nate and Sam.

Circinus

they wrapped up the mocap work for sully and elena, not the other actors

Misleading. Only those 2 doesnt mean its all completed.

Yep.

Does anyone feel like Sony will delay it to holiday 2016? Blowing their load too early in the year would be a bit odd as nothing else is a definite 2016 release.

Maybe.

For other definite 2016 I thought they have a quite a decent slate as far as I know:

- Ratchet & Clank (April / May)
- MLB 16: The Show (Q1/Q2)
- Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (Q1/Q2)
- RIGS: Mechanized Combat League (Morpheus VR) (Q1/Q2)
- The Last Guardian (probably Q3/Q4)
- Horizon: Zero Dawn (probably Q3/Q4)
- What Remains of Edith Finch (PSN)

And maybe:

- Dreams
- Gran Turismo 7
- Everybody's Golf 7 (aka Hot Shots Golf 7)
- Wild (PSN)
- Rime (PSN)
- Alienation (PSN)

dr_rus

It won't be delayed to holiday season. Sony knows that no exclusive can compete with big multiplatform releases during the holidays. That's why they avoid launching their exclusives in Oct-Nov timeframe. You do know that there are other games not from Sony on PS4, right?

It won't be delayed to holiday season. Sony knows that no exclusive can compete with big multiplatform releases during the holidays. That's why they avoid launching their exclusives in Oct-Nov timeframe. You do know that there are other games not from Sony on PS4, right?

I don't think Sony is actively avoiding releasing games during the holiday season. The just release them when they are ready and aren't afraid to delay a game out of the holiday window (The Order 1886 and Uncharted 4 so far).

Isn't it the only Neil?

Before they became demons...

BHpQe5VCcAA75c2.jpg

dr_rus

I don't think Sony is actively avoiding releasing games during the holiday season. The just release them when they are ready and aren't afraid to delay a game out of the holiday window (The Order 1886 and Uncharted 4 so far).

UC3 was the last big PS exclusive to launch during the Oct-Nov timeframe. That was 4 years ago. It's pretty clear to me that they've been avoiding direct competition with the usual holiday season bunch (CoD, AC, some non-yearly AAA sequel like F4) since then. Closest they've got to releasing something big during the holiday season was early Oct with Beyond and early Dec with GT6. MS has been doing this for years always timing big Halo launches on Sep. It's just common sense - there is no reason to compete directly with big 3rd parties especially if you have a promo deal with them.

Alo0oy

Banned

All Uncharted games released in the holidays, Uncharted 3 managed to sell 5 million in November alone, & up to 9 million within the 4 months that followed. It also sold an additional million or two since then based on the 21 million units announcement a while back.

UC3 was the last big PS exclusive to launch during the Oct-Nov timeframe. That was 4 years ago. It's pretty clear to me that they've been avoiding direct competition with the usual holiday season bunch (CoD, AC, some non-yearly AAA sequel like F4) since then. Closest they've got to releasing something big during the holiday season was early Oct with Beyond and early Dec with GT6. MS has been doing this for years always timing big Halo launches on Sep. It's just common sense - there is no reason to compete directly with big 3rd parties especially if you have a promo deal with them.

So you think UC4 was delayed to avoid competition? Considering how well UC3 sold as a holiday release I see no reason for them to be worried about it possibly getting overlooked.

As a grown man, I'm glad games don't all release at once at the end of the year. It gives me more incentive to pick up games I would maybe be on the edge with.

As a grown man, I'm glad games don't all release at once at the end of the year. It gives me more incentive to pick up games I would maybe be on the edge with.

yeah the whole holiday thing is for kids. anytime of the year is a good time for any game when you are an adult with a paycheck. i actually have less money for myself during the holidays so really releasing in March or whatever gives me a better chance at an actual purchase and not a gamefly rental. Guess the only real benefit of the holidays is gifts from other people and sales for console purchases. Maybe a new game here or there will be on sale, but usually older ones.

sounds pretty smart to me. considering all the big exclusives on the PS4 have sold millions each, seems like it is a good business practice at this point. This holiday season yuo have Fallout, Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, Halo, Battlefront, etc. That is a ton of games taking up peoples money and attention.

Javin98

Banned
It would move a ton of consoles as a holiday title and would be a good counter for gears 4. And doesn't releasing early in the year exclude you from many GOTY nominations? I'd imagine they want to grab those as well.
LMAO! Yep, because TLOU didn't receive any GOTY awards, right? Oh, wait. Just admit it, you're sprouting bullshit and honestly, I can't even tell if half of your posts are serious. Unlike Microsoft, Sony spreads their first party games all year round. This "only holidays matter" mentality was bullshit in the first place.

why does druckmann look like jesus?
How else do you think Naughty Dog could accomplish such amazing feats on all the PlayStation consoles? Because Druckmann is Jesus!

My guesses, all calendar year quarters:

Q1 - UC4
Q2 - TLG
Q3 - GT7 (Morpheus launch)
Q4 - Horizon

Nagh. I think it will more likely be:

Q1 - UC4
Q2 - Dreams + Ratchet
Q3 - TLG
Q4 - GOW4 + GT7 and (hopefully) Horizon (early October if so).

Pretty sweet line-up.

x-Lundz-x

It's so sad to think this is the last time they'll be playing those characters. :(

I don't believe this, if ND is not making any more Uncharted games after this Sony will build a new studio to carry on. I'm fairly confident we will see Nate and crew in future games.

nib95

Banned

I think Horizon will be their big fall game. Uncharted 4 seems like it'll take on a Bloodborne type tentpole early release. Makes better sense to spread great releases throughout the entire year, as opposed to just stuffing them in to the already crowded fall period.

That seems like an awful plan. Horizon and GT7 could come out then. 3rd party deals with another Star Wars game, COD, possibly new FIFA and either KH3 or FFXV releasing to add to it as well.

NippleViking said:
Nagh. I think it will more likely be:

Q1 - UC4
Q2 - Dreams + Ratchet
Q3 - TLG
Q4 - GOW4 + GT7 and (hopefully) Horizon (early October if so).

Pretty sweet line-up.
I think it would be wise for GG to have this game for the summer. Big blockbuster new IP, something you don't want to get drowned in the plethora of games that release at the end of the year.

The woman that plays Elena is pretty cute.

Ricky_R

I believe you guys are overthinking the delay. I think they just needed more time and were ready to release the game early next year.

The game will sell regardless, so I'm sure there was no strategic plan to move it.

LastNac

Damn, im gonna miss this series. It's gonna be tough watching it go.

Really hope we have a lot of in. Sully in UC4. Wasn't enough of him in UC1 or UC2.

I don't believe this, if ND is not making any more Uncharted games after this Sony will build a new studio to carry on. I'm fairly confident we will see Nate and crew in future games.

I believe it. I think Sony is pretty good at letting series end when they're supposed to. Sure, some series get a sequel pumped out by a different studio (like Jak and Daxter), but for the most part Sony doesn't milk the cow until its tits fall off.

I'm glad that the early part of the year has become pretty big for games and I hope Summer becomes a big time too, I mean The Last of Us and Arkham Knight did really well in June. Maybe in a few years time well see big releases all year round instead of them all being shoved into one or two seasons.

Ricky_R

Damn, im gonna miss this series. It's gonna be tough watching it go.

Really hope we have a lot of in. Sully in UC4. Wasn't enough of him in UC1 or UC2.

Agree. However, ND is so good with characters that they easily make you forget whoever's not on screen any given time.

About the series ending, it's indeed tough for us who love the series dearly, but it's kinda bittersweet for me because, while Uncharted is one of my fav franchises ever, I want to see ND expand with new IPs and ideas.

We'll probably see more Uncharted, but I think this really will be the last Nathan Drake game.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Obviously mocap wrapped because both characters are dead.

A lot of optimism in this thread though. The Last Guardian for Q2? Horizon in Q3?

Top Bottom