• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dogs story telling and attention to detail is second to none.

Topher

Gold Member
As i said earlier in another topic. It was when i saw this video i knew ND was fucked

Free to your opinion, but seems pretty obvious to me that whatever influenced Druckmann to change the way he makes games, TLOU was a hell of a great game and I really don't think whatever that Mankind games was supposed to be would have even come close.

Too bad naughty dog gameplay (you know, the most important part in a videogame) is a snoozefest.

Nah, just isn't your thing. Plenty of people, including myself, love the gameplay in ND games. Really depends on what type of games you like to play, I think. Those who love fast paced shooters are probably not going to like Uncharted and certainly not TLOU.

Last edited:

tommib

Yeh, that man on man bumming scene really left an impression on me.
Where’s this? How did I miss it?
No Way Wow GIF by Borussia Dortmund

Mr Hyde

UC 4 was the weakest entry for me. The pacing was way off and made parts of the game too boring. It had some great moments, no doubt, but it felt safe and predictable, recycling too much from the second game. I didn't like the inclusion of Sam either, he felt forced, it was like ND just had to give a part to Troy Baker just because he did so good in TLoU. Lost Legacy is way better, and I have a soft spot for Chloe. I think she should take over the reigns for the franchise.

Ellery

Naughty Dog is probably the #1 best premier studio/developer/publisher in the world right now in terms of quality and giving those last few % of passion coupled with super high talent.

They might not be a neogaf favorite and Neil Druckmann certainly isn't, but at the end no matter what you think of them there is a part in everyone's brain that either loves them or is jealous of their output and quality and wishes their franchise would get that kind of attention had people like ND working on it.

And even if it is just the technical things or their games running flawlessly well while at the same time having the best graphics and animations ever seen.

From the PS3 Uncharted 1,2,3, TLOU to PS4 TLOU Remaster, UC4, UC TLL, TLOU2 and now TLOU P1. They don't drop the ball and they continue to bring out games. And the best thing is you don't need to wait 10-15 years for the next Naughty Dog game. They release GOTY quality games on a 2-4 year basis.

Whatever is next I can't wait.

SSfox

Free to your opinion, but seems pretty obvious to me that whatever influenced Druckmann to change the way he makes games, TLOU was a hell of a great game and I really don't think whatever that Mankind games was supposed to be would have even come close.

Nah, just isn't your thing. Plenty of people, including myself, love the gameplay in ND games. Really depends on what type of games you like to play, I think. Those who love fast paced shooters are probably not going to like Uncharted and certainly not TLOU.
TLOU1 is a masterpiece, loved it from start to end, but keep in mind that Neil wasn't alone and Bruce Straley was one of the lead in this game.

tmlDan

Story telling they are amazing but I’d love to see them develop from a gameplay standpoint. TLOU series has some of the best story telling in gaming but from an actual game play standpoint they’re very very by the he numbers. I’d love to see the differentiate themselves from other Third person games. Play into their play forming background some maybe idk.
I wouldn't say that's the case for LoU2, it has impeccable gameplay compared to UC and LoU1.

Maybe they're evolving to a point where story isn't the be all end all but we'll see with their next game.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Not many studios can do better than what Naughty Dog does best. Like the voice acting, roller coaster action scenes, some attention to detail, story telling etc.

Rockstar in some ways like voice acting, attention to detail, but who else does action scenes better than Naughty Dog?
Combat in U4 was good, fun multiplayer too. In TLOU2 it was great

Last edited:

Keihart

i agree and all but Uncharted 4's combat is so good in my opinion, i love it.
i wish it had like a challenge mode or time attack in which you go through all the campaing escenarios or even some remixes.
The game is pretty long and the combat feels a little sparce in such a long game in which i enjoy the combat.

MP doesn't count since it doesn't play the same.

Talking about presentation and story, i find the Elena and Nate moments in 4 to be one of the best "couple" moments in games, there is so much nuance to how they interact and stuff, i particularly love the whole re encounter segment, from when Elena thinks Nate is dead to them swinging while being trapped and the scene with the death pirates dinner.

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

Haven't had the chance to get to the combat cause the first half HR has been so fucking dull and boring, my god. Shitty ass graphics too, nothing special besides the facial animations

Jaybe

Their storytelling is second to Rockstar whose combo of RDR1 & 2 beats TLOU1 & 2 due to TLOU2 being weaker in that regard. Uncharted series has great characters, dialogue, voice acting and I love its conclusion, but the stories were good enough fare but not great. ND is truly gifted on a technical level for sure.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
ULL final chapter train sequence is probably the best set piece I've ever played and experienced. Fucking amazing.

Nautilus

Banned
Examples of better action scenes?
Wasn't this about storytelling and attention to details? What action scenes have anything to do about that?

But sure: FF VII Remake, Cyberpunk 2077, XC 3, and if you want to compare to Sony's own first party, God of War 4.

That's just a few examples of games that tell better stories than Naughty Dog's current games(Last 5 years or so).

solidus12

I think ND's writing is generally below average for video games. I hated UC 4 it was boring and filled with unlikeable characters except Sully. I still loved Sully in that game. The rest of their games are completely forgettable and cliche. TLOU I kind of liked though. It too was cliche, but I thought it was told well and it kept me interested.
Meh, the Coalition is up here, if not better, right?

Last edited:

Certinty

Uncharted 4 definitely has one of the best stories I’ve come across in a video game.

The Last of Us Part II on the other hand…

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Naughty Dog won't sleep with you bro

Druckman may.

Carry on, I just want to hear the stories.

On topic: Uncharted 2 would have made a perfect blockbuster action movie.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
UC 4 was the beginning of the "shit storytelling" era at ND, but Cuckman was just stretching his beta/woke brain, TLOU2 was when the shit hit the fan, big ND fan here (TLOU IS THE GOAT) and ND storytelling now is as bad as they come, full of bad characters, plot holes and or conveniences and the wokenes/feminist tropes that plague scripts this days ...

solidus12

UC 4 was the beginning of the "shit storytelling" era at ND, but Cuckman was just stretching his beta/woke brain, TLOU2 was when the shit hit the fan, big ND fan here (TLOU IS THE GOAT) and ND storytelling now is as bad as they come, full of bad characters, plot holes and or conveniences and the wokenes/feminist tropes that plague scripts this days ...
Yeah, TLOU2's characters were so bad in comparison with the first game:

Manny
Jesse
Dina
Abby
Mel

yeah...

Utherellus

I have been PC gamer all my life. Hardly owned any consoles and always prioritized active gameplay over story-driven "perfect for couch" cinematic adventures.

But I really enjoyed Uncharted 4. It's just the overall polish and brought together aspects of every possible thing that got me. It was great adventure.

kyliethicc

Just played Modern Warfare 2's story and man if you ever want to appreciate Naughty Dog's talent and quality just play something else thats trying to be like them lol. Night and day

marjo

I think Naughty Dog games have excellent production values, decent stories, and middling game play. I can't stand the 'platforming' in Uncharted which amounts to nothing more than hitting the right sequence of inputs with zero regards to timing. I don't know, maybe other have the same issues, but somehow it just seems so much more obvious in Uncharted. The 'puzzles' and gun play are also completely mediocre. TLOU has better gameplay, but is still pretty unremarkable compared to better stealth oriented games (Hitman, Dishonored, Prey, etc.).

I think a large part of their popularity is due to the high quality graphics and the low challenge level, which many people (especially game reviewers) seem to prefer.

Mozzarella

I think ND's writing is generally below average for video games. I hated UC 4 it was boring and filled with unlikeable characters except Sully. I still loved Sully in that game. The rest of their games are completely forgettable and cliche. TLOU I kind of liked though. It too was cliche, but I thought it was told well and it kept me interested.
I guess the reason why Uncharted 4 is the least worst for me is because its the least offensive of the bunch :messenger_tears_of_joy:
It also has the best acting probably, the cutscenes feel like they are taken straight from a movie.

Last edited:
Top Bottom