• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nazi Airplane lands on Georgia Highway

Karkador

Banned
To be fair I kind of can't get mad at the livery being accurate. I have no idea what his political views are but historical re-enactments are pretty popular and I guess he just wants to make it look the part.

Yeah I'd say the US is definitely all about reenacting some history nowadays

Not completely on topic but there is a misunderstanding concerning the "iron cross" on the plane by posters mentioning it, it's not, that is the Balkenkreuz.

Balkenkreuz is not used in official capacity in Germany, the revised Iron Cross (officially called "Black Cross") is.

Iron Cross:

wq8QbpS.png

Balkenkreuz

150px-Regulation_WW_II_Upperwing_Balkenkreuz.png

Black Cross (Iron Cross Revised - combination of Balkenkreuz, used in official capacity today)
200px-Bundeswehr_Kreuz_Black.svg.png

Deepwater

Teehee what a goof. It's just a symbol representing the murder and torture of millions guys, don't take things so seriously.

Not saying you're not wrong. Clearly this guy didn't intend to emergency land on a highway. But people really really really enjoy the aesthetics of WW2 military stuff. It borders on creepy (as far as it applied to the third reich) but I wouldn't say everybody fascinated with the military stuff is a nazi.

But at the same time, it is incredibly suspect to have your hobby in the public eye.

Neo_Geo

Banned
TIL: The NeoGAF Hivemind does not approve of authentic replicas.

I don't approve of what the symbol means, but I am thankfully smart enough to not force myself to equate any visual of it as a negative bar none.

Rookhelm

Not completely on topic but there is a misunderstanding concerning the "iron cross" on the plane by posters mentioning it, it's not, that is the Balkenkreuz.

Balkenkreuz is not used in official capacity in Germany, the revised Iron Cross is.

Iron Cross:

220px-German_Cross.svg.png

Balkenkreuz

Iron Cross (Revised combination of Balkenkreuz, used in official capacity today)

sure, but there's a Swastika on the tail

I think the swastika was unnecessary, but I recognized the paint job as Hartmann's Bf 109

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erich_Hartmann

What a badass! Involved in 825 aerial fights and never got shot down. Some of those Luftwaffe pilots were forces of nature. Gives even more of a testament to the grit and determination of the Allied Air Forces that they eventually won the battle of the skies.

Also, is everyone not noticing that this plane wasn't even the pilots? Maybe he is a Nazi sympathizer and maybe he isn't, but you can't tell that from a plane that's not even his.

Mahonay

Banned
As someone from Georgia and who was raised here... I encountered way more openly racist people when visiting friends/family up north and out west. New Hampshire is racist as fuck. So is Orange County.

Aaand I'm pretty sure we voted more for Hillary than fucking Michigan or Wisconsin did... that's gotta count for something.
Atlanta offsets a lot of the rest of Georgia for voting.

I've been to Georgia twice, both times I saw a lot of confederate flags.

But of course it's everywhere. I've seen that shit in upstate New York, and when I lived in PA, if you drove out west it was REALLY fucking bad. Basically an extension of West Virginia.

I said plural, places, there are a lot of really racist places in the country that don't get a pass on this stuff. Not just Georgia. Realistically, most of our country is fucked up when it comes to anything like this.

finowns

As someone from Georgia and who was raised here... I encountered way more openly racist people when visiting friends/family up north and out west. New Hampshire is racist as fuck. So is Orange County.

Aaand I'm pretty sure we voted more for Hillary than fucking Michigan or Wisconsin did... that's gotta count for something.

If voting for Hillary is a measure of racist-ness, Orange County voted for her. Unless there's another Orange County besides the one in CA.

sure, but there's a Swastika on the tail

I know, but I'm talking about people calling the Balkenkreuz an Iron Cross when it isn't and saying it's used in Germany today, it's not.

The revised version is (and called Black Cross, forgot to mention that in earlier post), we don't use the Balkenkreuz either because even though it's not a Nazi symbol, the Nazis used it on all equipment, so nobody (government) in Germany uses the old Iron Cross or Balkenkreuz any more either.

Only revised versions.

Mahonay

Banned
Or here is another idea: don't call people Nazis without viable proof. I had family that survived the Holocaust - this plane shit is trivial. Just some dude that tried to recreate something from history.
I said we don't know if they are or not. Obviously we don't know.

I am saying that it's a bad fucking idea to put a swastika on your home kit plane.

What a badass! Involved in 825 aerial fights and never got shot down. Some of those Luftwaffe pilots were forces of nature. Gives even more of a testament to the grit and determination of the Allied Air Forces that they eventually won the battle of the skies.

Also, is everyone not noticing that this plane wasn't even the pilots? Maybe he is a Nazi sympathizer and maybe he isn't, but you can't tell that from a plane that's not even his.

But then how would people vent their random rage?

Another white-trash idiot the world wouldn't have missed had he crashed.

Yep because the article states that he owns the pla... oh, wait, no it doesn't.

Oh.

Balkenkreuz is not used in official capacity in Germany, the revised Iron Cross is.

Iron Cross:

220px-German_Cross.svg.png

Balkenkreuz

Iron Cross (Revised combination of Balkenkreuz, used in official capacity today)

Revised Iron Cross looks like someone using Canvas Size for the first time.

dpunk3

I like history myself, so I could see someone doing this because they wanted the design because of the history behind it. Good choice? Likely not. But I sincerely doubt it was intentionally being supportive of Nazism, considering it's more common than you'd think.

Mahonay

Banned
I like history myself, so I could see someone doing this because they wanted the design because of the history behind it. Good choice? Likely not. But I sincerely doubt it was intentionally being supportive of Nazism.
Pretty much.

And I also reserve my right to be skeptical.

darscot

Ok no we're stretching.

I think this is a dumb thing to do. Period.

You do realise aircooled VW are based on the aircraft technology of the period. Hitler was a major part of the history of VW and the Beetle. It does not make you a Nazi to like technology.

E92 M3

Yeah, and? A lot of white-trash, racists in America don't consider themselves nor call themselves neonazis but sympathize with them.

And a lot of people don't sympathize with them. What does it have to do with this thread? Also, please refrain from the racist remarks.

It could have done without the swastika ; I doubt the pilot was actually a nazi though probably just a big war recreation fan though he should have choose one without a swastika. My history teacher in high-school loved collecting ww2 stuff but even he choose to use the WW1 German flag to hang on his classroom wall along with his less controversial WW2 Soviet Union Flag.

Mahonay

Banned
You do realise aircooled VW are based on the aircraft technology of the period. Hitler wasa major part of the history of VW and the Beetle. It does not make you a Nazi to like technology.
Stop repeating yourself. I got your point. As most other people do, I know that VW's were originally Nazi engineered. Jesus. It doesn't apply here. Are current VWs being painted with swastikas? It has nothing to do with this event.

This is some dude in Georgia who decided to paint a swastika on his home plane kit. It's has no historical significance other than trying to copy the Nazi paint design.

ITT: I learn that because Seinfeld and one GAF poster (who is somehow the authority on racial symbols) have some interest in WW2 or German stuff, that it is ok to put swastikas and iron crosses on things in 2017 that are not even the original WW2 plane or a replica of it and that you shouldn't assume anything about that despite the goofy tone deaf as fuck decision to do so occurring in the first place.

And the Iron cross as seen in the US and among groups in Europe is 100% definitely a hate symbol. Things can transform in context over time and place. SPLC and ADL both have articles about it.

Karkador

Banned
Should be worth noting that Georgia still flies big confederate flags along the highway.

I guess it's all about heritage..

Volimar

TIL: The NeoGAF Hivemind does not approve of authentic replicas.

I don't approve of what the symbol means, but I am thankfully smart enough to not force myself to equate any visual of it as a negative bar none.

They also don't read the OP. It wasn't his plane.

Nazi's had some beautiful equipment. It doesn't mean he was a neonazi at all.
Yeah and they had dope uniforms too, that doesn't mean I'd wanna go walking around with a nazi armband on. There are plenty of different countries he could have chosen to paint the plane after, and he goes for the one with the swastika.

VariantX

For fun? It's only fun when you believe won't be on the receiving end of the horrible, inhuman shit Nazis did to people.

It could have done without the swastika ; I doubt the pilot was actually a nazi though probably just a big war recreation fan though he should have choose one without a swastika. My history teacher in high-school loved collecting ww2 stuff but even he choose to use the WW1 German flag to hang on his classroom wall along with his less controversial WW2 Soviet Union Flag.

Which is funny, because the Soviets were responsible for millions upon millions of civilian deaths just like the Nazis. But they had the luxury of fighting on the Allied side, so most people look past it.

It's a very complex issue. The War was unquestionably tilted in the Allies favor because of the Eastern Front, as Germany couldn't throw their entire might at the West, so for that we owe the Soviets. The Allies would have eventually won without the Soviets most likely, especially once America got involved, but it would have been a faaaar more costly war if that was the case.

They also don't read the OP. It wasn't his plane.

Maybe he just killed Heinrich Himmler and the only way he could escape the secret SS base was by hijacking an experimental Nazi shitbird and crash-landing it into modern Georgia. I don't know why everyone's leaping to conclusions about a guy just because he got caught flying around in a plane with a swastika on it, geez.

Top Bottom