• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nazi Airplane lands on Georgia Highway

Mahonay

Banned
Maybe he just killed Heinrich Himmler and the only way he could escape the secret SS base was by hijacking an experimental Nazi shitbird and crash-landing it into modern Georgia. I don't know why everyone's leaping to conclusions about a guy just because he got caught flying around in a plane with a swastika on it, geez.
jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

Volimar

Maybe he just killed Heinrich Himmler and the only way he could escape the secret SS base was by hijacking an experimental Nazi shitbird and crash-landing it into modern Georgia. I don't know why everyone's leaping to conclusions about a guy just because he got caught flying around in a plane with a swastika on it, geez.

I mean, 90% of the time it's someone who just killed Himmler.

Such a great movie. Looks like someone's got a case of the Mondays.

shandy706

Now we have a "It's okay to put a swastika on it" defense force?

Sometimes, perception IS the reality

A large part of this forum thinks before reacting.

They're not jumping directly to a conclusion as they know historical accuracy is popular with many hobbies.

Is the paint job in bad taste = Most would say yes

Does it make an enthusiast in that hobby a Nazi = maybe, maybe not

I wouldn't consider someone that collects Miniatures with it on them a Nazi. I also wouldn't consider companies that make flight Sims / combat simulators Nazis for including it on the planes.

It doesn't mean that the possibility that the owner could be a racist piece of trash is erased because some of us stop to think before reacting.

SDCowboy

Now we have a "It's okay to put a swastika on it" defense force?

Sometimes, perception IS the reality

Well technically it is "ok". If it's a privately owned plane, the owner can have on it whatever they want. No need for a defense force.

As for trying to go for a historical look, I do get where people have a problem with a swastika being on a non-historical plane. Being that the plane is not an actual nazi plane, the swastika does seem to be a bit much, IMO.

Mahonay

Banned
As for trying to go for a historical look, I do get where people have a problem with a swastika being on a non-historical plane. Being that the plane is not an actual nazi plane, the swastika does seem to be a bit much, IMO.
This is where I'm at.

I'd be more inclined to believe he was a collector or hobbyist if he did this last year or so, but now? Not so much.

A couple months ago my Uncle and I were picking up lunch for my grandma and we saw a dude wearing a swastika armband walking down the street.

SDCowboy

I'm all for historical designs but the swastika wasn't needed.

My issue with it is the plane is not historical. If it were even a kit of an actual nazi plane, then by all means, put the swastika on it for accuracy. But this plane, itself, has nothing to do with nazi aircraft. At that point, I feel the cross would have been enough to convey a nazi German plane.

I have no problem with an actual Luftwaffe aircraft being put in its markings for historical accuracy but to paint a home built like this is just plain stupid.

I just want to mention here, because it's increasingly seeming like it's going to be useful information to some people in this thread:

If someone discovers an SS uniform in your closet, they're going to ask you one question: "Is this a weird sex thing?"

You say yes. Don't start explaining your deep adoration for Hugo Boss designs and the deep, largely forgotten meaning of the flying skull to them. Don't tell them about all the other groups you know who also fabricate Nazi replica uniforms. Just say, "Yes, it's a creepy sex thing."

Ganhyun

Should be worth noting that Georgia still flies big confederate flags along the highway.

I guess it's all about heritage..
Pretty sure those are usually put up by private citizens (who are assholes) as they own the land next to the interstate that they fly from.

And a lot of people don't sympathize with them. What does it have to do with this thread? Also, please refrain from the racist remarks.

Yeah, you're right. A lot of people paint their hobby planes like Nazi planes, complete with swastikas, but it's totally "for fun" and they don't sympathize with them. Totally!

And a lot of people tattoo themselves with swastikas and wear Nazi-inspired clothing. It's just for fun, man.

Jesus fucking Christ.

E92 M3

Yeah, you're right. A lot of people paint their hobby planes like Nazi planes, complete with swastikas, but it's totally "for fun" and they don't sympathize with them. Totally!

And a lot of people tattoo themselves with swastikas and wear Nazi-inspired clothing. It's just for fun, man.

Jesus fucking Christ.

Not the same thing at all. Seems like you're not applying any logic. Are you saying all history buffs are nazis or sympathize with people that commit genocide? Are people that drive BMWs Nazis because the company once supplied Nazis?

Someone painted his plane because he thought it looked cool and likes history. It's not the end of the world.

v1lla21

If the plane was a WW2 replica it would've been fine but this dude is flying some rando ass place with a swastika which makes it iffy.

I know a guy who's a history buff and also loves miniatures/ collecting WW2 stuff and he likes everything to be how it was. Doesn't make him a Nazi for wanting the models to be identical.

Not the same thing at all. Seems like you're not applying any logic. Are you saying all history buffs are nazis or sympathize with people that commit genocide? Are people that drive BMWs Nazis because the company once supplied Nazis?

Someone painted his plane because he thought it looked cool and likes history. It's not the end of the world.

It's not a history buff plane though, the BMW is a false equivalence. If someone drove a BMW painted like a Nazi tank would be the better comparison.

Mahonay

Banned
It's not a history buff plane though, the BMW is a false equivalence. If someone drove a BMW painted like a Nazi tank would be the better comparison.
This.

Painting your home kit plane in WWII Luftwaffe colors...doesn't make it a WWII Luftwaffe plane. It has no actual historical connection. It is not a historical vehicle. It's someone's personal plane painted to look like a Nazi plane.

E92 M3

No, it wouldn't. It's a history buff's plane - just someone that can't afford something better.

No, it wouldn't. It's a history buff's plane - just someone that can't afford something better.

Right, and the BMW is a history buff motor vehicle - they just can't afford the Panzerkampfwagen. Look, if you want to paint a non-historical vehicle in WW2 patterns, you really couldn't pick a worse faction than Nazi Germany.

Fuchsdh

Well technically it is "ok". If it's a privately owned plane, the owner can have on it whatever they want. No need for a defense force.

Yeah, this is where I'm at. It's not a historical plane, you can put the German livery on it and leave the swastika off. It's tone-deaf at best.

Poppy

how hard is to not put a swastika on something in 2017

if you lack the self awareness to leave the swastika off then i think people have the right to question your beliefs

E92 M3

how hard is to not put a swastika on something in 2017

if you lack the self awareness to leave the swastika off then i think people have the right to question your beliefs

Nothing wrong with using a swastika in an "attempted" replica. I'm Jewish and this is about as innocuous as possible. Some dude painted his plane to look like the German Nazi forces - big deal.

He's not out there marching and praising Hitler.

I would feel bad if it turned out he was just a huge Captain America fan and this was his last leg of acting out every scene in The First Avenger.

He'd lose points for no ice, though.

Otherwise, nah. Put a sticker over the fucking thing when you aren't doing WW2-themed air shows you bloody twit.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
TIL: The NeoGAF Hivemind does not approve of authentic replicas.

It's not an authentic replica, it's a shitty modern kit with a swastika on it.

I don't approve of what the symbol means, but I am thankfully smart enough to not force myself to equate any visual of it as a negative bar none.

You don't really have to force yourself to equate the visual of a swastika as part of a WWII Nazi livery as being a negative one. At the very least it's in bad taste on a non-vintage plane, and at worst it's a peek into the preferences of the owner.

Nothing wrong with using a swastika in an "attempted" replica. I'm Jewish and this is about as innocuous as possible. Some dude painted his plane to look like the German Nazi forces - big deal.

so this is the line huh

even if he's not even a full blown neo-nazi, it's just a really stupid and tasteless thing to do

There's something wrong with you if you paint up a Nazi themed plane and start flying it around without feeling sick to your stomach.

E92 M3

so this is the line huh

even if he's not even a full blown neo-nazi, it's just a really stupid and tasteless thing to do

No one would have known if the plane didn't do an emergency landing. It was for a personal collection and not advertised as NAZI PLANE

There's something wrong with you if you paint up a Nazi themed plane and start flying it around without feeling sick to your stomach.

No, some people love history - the history of both sides. It's not that dramatic. The German pilots were some of the best in the world and their planes looked nice. No one is endorsing Nazis or their atrocities.

Top Bottom