• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

Jarate

Banned
Im not a big Ibaka fan, he's been pretty shitty on defense this year. I don't think this helps Toronto get closer to a championship, and they traded away a good young player for it. Although that first rounder is nice, picks past like the 8th pick are more of a gamble then a surefire thing

wbsmcs

This trade seemed inevitable for the Raptors/Magic. Magic weren't going to resign him. Rumours last week and thought it was going to be Patt/1st. There just wasn't any other team it seemed that needed Ibaka and was willing to give a 1st. Celtics maybe? And they passed. Hopefully this forces Casey to get Powell involved more. Going to be an interesting finish.

Jarate

Banned
I don't think Toronto passes the Celtics, they're 6 games back on the Cavs, and the Cavs still have this guy named Lebron James on their team.

Hell, I don't know if they'll pass up the Wizards who are balling out of their mind right now

Jarate

Banned
rMNqYcW.png

gutshot

Man, this Okafor thing is a joke. They held him out of a game on Saturday because a trade was supposedly close. It's now Tuesday and... nothing.

spyder_ur

That's a nice trade for the Raptors - they didn't have to give up that much and it fills a need.

That being said, I'm not too upset about the Celts passing at that price. Personally, I'm just not very high on Ibaka. I think he's regressing a bit the last few years, which is worrying because he's still very young. His offensive game is limited to jumpshooting, which just feels like such a waste with his talent, even as he's improved as a shooter. While he has a reputation as an elite shotblocker and defender, he can be undisciplined and exposed on that end.

The Magic, on the other hand, have gotten themselves totally twisted into a pretzel of their own making, and they're ruining a bunch of promising young talent in the process.

I had forgotten that the Magic signed Biyombo too. What a fucked up roster they constructed. You already have no idea what to do with Aaron Gordon, so you compound that by acquiring two guys with similar skill sets. They are wasting Gordon.

Dude got completely overrated based on his performance in the Toronto/Miami series in the last playoffs.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Glad we didn't land Serge. Celts need what he brings but he's just not the guy he was a few years ago. There are other, likely cheaper options out there.

Im not a big Ibaka fan, he's been pretty shitty on defense this year. I don't think this helps Toronto get closer to a championship, and they traded away a good young player for it. Although that first rounder is nice, picks past like the 8th pick are more of a gamble then a surefire thing

Ross was getting minutes over Norm Powell, and a question of which one was Toronto's 3rd best guard was a major question (especially given this stretch where Powell has stepped up as DeRozan was out). He's also way younger, and they were having to split minutes.

They also had a major rebounding issue, and a hole at the 4. I like this trade, because the Raptors are basically the main ECF contender that doesn't have the luxury of waiting for Lebron to retire

Tom Penny

Glad we didn't land Serge. Celts need what he brings but he's just not the guy he was a few years ago. There are other, likely cheaper options out there.

I don't think the Celtics should really do anything. Keep the cap space. Other than like a Paul George which won't happen I don't see an in season move pushing them to the top of East. Their team isn't really constructed for the playoffs right now with one go to scorer that is a midget who will be getting trapped all playoffs passing to brick layers until proven otherwise when it counts.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

Your team past on him, over Terry Fucking Rozier.

There's no rationalizing that as a smart play.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Your team past on him, over Terry Fucking Rozier.

There's no rationalizing that as a smart play.

and a 1st. Terry rozier sucks, but why part with a player and a first for an overpaid borderline washed up and still declining player?

Dre3001

Magic need to drop Hezonja and Payton now.

GM should be fired as well now.

They have finished with a top 5 pick for the last few years and have completey missed on every single one.

Atleast Gordon can play the 4 now which is his natural position and where he should have been playing from the start.

I'd also really not put a lot of stock in rumours that come out after the fact when it comes to Boston, just Ainge doing his usual make it look like he's doing shit shtick after the fact. Same thing atm that Bryan "man of action" Colangelo is doing making it seem like he's fielding all these sick offers for Okafor to take the heat off them for the Embiid stuff. These guys are spin masters.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Magic need to drop Hezonja and Payton now.

GM should be fired as well now.

They have finished with a top 5 pick for the last few years and have completey missed on every single one.

Atleast Gordon can play the 4 now which is his natural position and where he should have been playing from the start.

Gordon seems like a sure thing to me, at the very least on the defensive side of things. Hezonja looks like a big time bust. He started off hot, but has just disappeared since. Payton I don't really know, it seemed like he could be decent, but his shooting is attrocious.

I'd also really not put a lot of stock in rumours that come out after the fact when it comes to Boston, just Ainge doing his usual make it look like he's doing shit shtick after the fact. Same thing atm that Bryan "man of action" Colangelo is doing making it seem like he's fielding all these sick offers for Okafor to take the heat off them for the Embiid stuff. These guys are spin masters.

I agree about ainge, but IDK the okafor stuff seems beyond just optics. They held him out of 2 games and he was saying goodbye to everybody on the team.

Grats to the Raptors. Definitely a trade that they needed to stay competitive with Bos and CLE.

As for my boys, I agree with Ninja: fuck the 1 seed, let LBJ play no more than 30 minutes/game and get to the playoffs healthy and strong. We're not going to arrest the overall 1 seed from either GSW or SAS anyway, so we won't have home court if we make it to the Finals whether we play LBJ 36 minutes a game or 30.

Keep Love. This 6-7 week break is going to be good for him. He's going to get several weeks to rest and get his back and any other aches fully recovered. He'll be the most rested all-star going into the playoffs which will be good because he's going to need as much reserve energy as he can get. In his down time we may find some other players able to step up more when called upon.

So according to Alex Kennedy Lou Williams likely gets moved. A late pick or buying low on a young guy would be cool with me.

Sweet Lou?

I'd love him in CLE. He's been one of my favorite backup PGs for years.

I agree about ainge, but IDK the okafor stuff seems beyond just optics. They held him out of 2 games and he was saying goodbye to everybody on the team.

You know, I thought that too for a minute, but every minute that goes by makes me think it was all complete bullshit. That's not to say that they're not working on stuff, but there was a whole heap of info that came out and a pretty curious time. The handshake thing came from some guy that said he was seen shaking the hands of people, people have seem to run with it in partner with the other info that came out that it meant he was gone, yet he's still on the roster. I'll remain pretty skeptical of any report that comes out that isn't "deal is done, here's what happened"

So according to Alex Kennedy Lou Williams likely gets moved. A late pick or buying low on a young guy would be cool with me.

I really like Lou but it's the right move to make. The young guys seem to lean on him too much. Hopefully they send him to a contender so he can get some shine come playoff time. He'd be awesome on the Cavs but they ain't got shit to offer.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I really like Lou but it's the right move to make. The young guys seem to lean on him too much. Hopefully they send him to a contender so he can get some shine come playoff time. He'd be awesome on the Cavs but they ain't got shit to offer.

Players like lou don't belong on rebuilding teams. does nothing but win you the occasional pointless game. like you said, much better served off the bench for a contender.

ViciousDS

Banned
I know butler is critical to the bulls.....but even though ross isn't playing for the rapters.....it seems like Wade is actually the problem to the bulls core. Rondo seems to do well with wade not on the court

random25

Derrick Williams seems to become a great pickup for the Cavs now that Love is missing for more than a month. And his output tonight has been pretty decent.

Derrick Williams seems to become a great pickup for the Cavs now that Love is missing for more than a month. And his output tonight has been pretty decent.

He's been outstanding on the Cavs so far.

The good atmosphere and playing with someone like LeBron is looking like it could really salvage his career.

Top Bottom