• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

full

Throw in Jerebko and you have yourself a deal.

Surfinn

Ah yes, game 6 will live on in infamy.

I always believe that that NBA wanted a game 7 no matter what. Kings were super populAr that year from what I read. They were internationally known. No one cared about the East that year, not even The Celtics.

It was a fantastic series despite how ugly things were. Classic, one of the best of all time. Those teams really hated each other, no question. I own a painting of Rick Fox being uppercutted by Doug Christie.. good times.

1v1 is such a missed opportunity for the All Star Game.

We could of had the likes of MJ vs Magic and now Westbrook vs Durant...

Man, I can't believe I've never thought of this before.

Is there a simple reason this won't happen? No refs, make your own calls.

Fjordson

Forbes put out a little piece on the value of NBA teams. Kinda interesting how the Knicks and Lakers can hold their value. Also crazy to think that Joe Lacob and co. bought the Warriors for $450 million.

1. Knicks - $3.3 billion

2. Lakers - $3 bil

3. Warriors - $2.6 bil

4. Chicago - $2.5 bil

5. Celtics - $2.2 bil

6. Clippers - $2 bil

7. Nets - $1.7 bil

8. Rockets - $1.65 bil

9. Mavericks - $1.45 bil

10. Heat - $1.35 bil

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/mli45fhhid/1-new-york-knicks/#7199acc548ae

It was a fantastic series despite how ugly things were. Classic, one of the best of all time. Those teams really hated each other, no question. I own a painting of Rick Fox being uppercutted by Doug Christie.. good times.

Wow, this exists, lol.

I guess this makes up for the fact that Christie's son has Lakers and Kobe stuff all over his room. And a Horry photo of him making his three.

Surfinn

Wow, this exists, lol.

I guess this makes up for the fact that Christie's son has Lakers and Kobe stuff all over his room. And a Horry photo of him making his three.

Even if that three happened because of a "look what I found" tip that was totally accidental, it was a damn clutch 3. That series is full of those moments.

Butler is 27 , prime of his career but will be washed soon enough

unless you are getting LeBron or a top 5 player for the #1 pick which seems like a lock, then why would you trade it for a not top 5 player

triple H says Butler is a B+ player

ViciousDS

Banned
trade wade for carmelo

Carmelo wants out.......the contract of both is nearly even.....wade will most likely opt out giving new york more room next season to build around porzingis. Wade is old and doesn't fit with the bulls current playing style. Rondo dishing to butler and carmelo would easily work better than the current setup

Jarate

Banned
The Celtics will only have a 25% chance at getting the #1 pick. It's a guaranteed top 4 pick, but not a guaranteed 1st overall

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Meh. You trade the pick of it doesn't involve losing other key players. You're crazy not to trade an unknown player for a top 15 player.

Oh I know that I'm just bringing a counter point to his argument about possibly missing the top pick. Trading Crowder who has one of the best contracts in the league, smart whose on the rise and elite defensible, and ab0 with that pick for butler is ridiculous though.

Jarate

Banned
Im not disagreeing that the pick is incredibly valuable. That Net's pick for the next two years is incredibly valuable. Im not the biggest fan of Butler either, he'd be an elite catch and shoot player like Klay if he could accept a lesser role, but I doubt that will happen.

Basically, the pick is not guaranteed to be Fultz who's the biggest prize in this draft by far.

I wouldn't trade Bradley Smart Crowder and the Brooklyn pick for Butler either.

No. But I'd do Bradley, Brown, Johnson and the pick . ( wouldn't wanna trade Brown but it is what it is) .

The top 4 is stacked this year. Butler is a diva with questionable knees.
This is probably an unpopular opinion but Cs are not good at drafting . They draft more misses than hits . I understand this draft is supposedly can't miss but idk , Ainge always finds a way.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
No. But I'd do Bradley, Brown, Johnson and the pick . ( wouldn't wanna trade Brown but it is what it is) .

This is probably an unpopular opinion but Cs are not good at drafting . They draft more misses than hits . I understand this draft is supposedly can't miss but idk , Ainge always finds a way.

Ainge catches a lot of flak around here and I've been critical myself, but what are his misses with top picks?

Ainge catches a lot of flak around here and I've been critical myself, but what are his misses with top picks?
He's had 20 or so first round picks since becoming head of operations . OF those 20 , maybe 4 or 5 are worth a shit and most aren't even in the league ( or shouldn't be ) . RIP fab

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
He's had 20 or so first round picks since becoming head of operations . OF those 20 , maybe 4 or 5 are worth a shit and most aren't even in the league ( or shouldn't be ) . RIP fab

Didn't answer the question. Top picks are not jusy first round picks, they have to be at least top 10 or so. 2nd round is basically shooting in the dark in the NBA.

Edited to clarify.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Correct. You basically need top 5 picks historically.

http://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm

This is where a lot of unwarranted criticism comes in on just about any team. Danny for the most part of his tenure has been picking in the 20s or high teens. Even still he picked some nice gems for their spot-on ab0, Tony Allen, rondo (draft day trade), AL Jefferson, sullinger, etc.

The other flawed argument is on high picks or missed players. Yes he chose KO over giannis and that hurts, but he was the 15th pick, so 14 clubs passed on giannis. Some people criticize the smart pick, but he was really the only option... Either him or randle, and honestly I like smart way better than Julius. Yes jokic went much later in that draft... That means every other club also passed on him. Same goes for Rudy gobert in his draft. Felger and mazz were talking about how the celts should've taken Rodney hood with that pick... Are you fucking kidding me?! Hood went 23rd imagine the backlash if he chose this relative nobody at the time with the 6th pick?

Butler is 27 , prime of his career but will be washed soon enough

unless you are getting LeBron or a top 5 player for the #1 pick which seems like a lock, then why would you trade it for a not top 5 player

triple H says Butler is a B+ player

You're kidding me right? Butler is already at a star level, and is a far more guaranteed prospect than any pick will ever be.

The only reason why Celtics shouldn't do this is that any pick will likely be developed when Lebron is older

The top 4 is stacked this year. Butler is a diva with questionable knees.

Holy shit Celtics fans really are delusional when it comes to trades

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
You're kidding me right? Butler is already at a star level, and is a far more guaranteed prospect than any pick will ever be.

The only reason why Celtics shouldn't do this is that any pick will likely be developed when Lebron is older

Holy shit Celtics fans really are delusional when it comes to trades

Yeah totally, trading you're entire team and a possible generational player for a diva player with bad knees is a great trade.

If you can get Butler straight up for the pick, then you do it. The odds that whoever you take in a draft will turn out to be as good as Jimmy Butler is probably small, and on top of that the Celts aren't really rebuilding, Butler falls right into the same age group as IT and Horford. The problem is that Chicago will want a kings ransom for Butler, and rightfully so. I don't think it's worth it for the Celtics to give up that pick AND gut their roster/assets.

Bread

Banned
If you can get Butler straight up for the pick, then you do it. The odds that whoever you take in a draft will turn out to be as good as Jimmy Butler is probably small, and on top of that the Celts aren't really rebuilding, Butler falls right into the same age group as IT and Horford. The problem is that Chicago will want a kings ransom for Butler, and rightfully so. I don't think it's worth it for the Celtics to give up that pick AND gut their roster/assets.
I think it comes down to this, does Ainge believe in a IT/Butler/Horford core winning it all in the next 3 years or does he want a Fultz/Smart/Brown core for the next 10 years. I'd take the latter, even if it's a bigger gamble.

I think it comes down to this, does Ainge believe in a IT/Butler/Horford core winning it all in the next 3 years or does he want a Fultz/Smart/Brown core for the next 10 years. I'd take the latter, even if it's a bigger gamble.

I think you take the known quantity every time. Despite being high picks, there's no guarantee Fultz and Brown end up as good as IT and Jimmy are no, in fact odds are they probably won't. Like I said though, that's if its pick for player straight up. The problem is the Bulls probably want the pick, Brown and more.

I think you take the known quantity every time. Despite being high picks, there's no guarantee Fultz and Brown end up as good as IT and Jimmy are no, in fact odds are they probably won't. Like I said though, that's if its pick for player straight up. The problem is the Bulls probably want the pick, Brown and more.

I agree with this, if it's essentially just the pick or even multiple picks for Jimmy I'd do it in a second. I have no interest in trading multiple top 5 picks and gutting our roster for him.

What's gonna make things harder for teams like the Celtics or even the Lakers and Sixers who have been accumulating assets is that the new CBA might kill free agency as we know it. The option of building up a roster of young assets and waiting for that one great free agent in his prime is going to become less and less of a possibility, so basicaly your two options are draft a franchise guy or gut your roster to trade for one:

Top Bottom