• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2016-2017 Season |OT| What do the Liberty Bell and Ben Simmons have in Common?

Bread

Banned
I think you take the known quantity every time. Despite being high picks, there's no guarantee Fultz and Brown end up as good as IT and Jimmy are no, in fact odds are they probably won't. Like I said though, that's if its pick for player straight up. The problem is the Bulls probably want the pick, Brown and more.
Do you take the known quantity when your team's ceiling would be losing in the playoffs to the Cavs? I don't know. It's a tough call.

What's gonna make things harder for teams like the Celtics or even the Lakers and Sixers who have been accumulating assets is that the new CBA might kill free agency as we know it. The option of building up a roster of young assets and waiting for that one great free agent in his prime is going to become less and less of a possibility, so basicaly your two options are draft a franchise guy or gut your roster to trade for one:
That sounds more like a problem for the Lakers than the Celtics! The Celtics have the assets to make that trade or draft the franchise guy.

What's gonna make things harder for teams like the Celtics or even the Lakers and Sixers who have been accumulating assets is that the new CBA might kill free agency as we know it. The option of building up a roster of young assets and waiting for that one great free agent in his prime is going to become less and less of a possibility, so basicaly your two options are draft a franchise guy or gut your roster to trade for one:

Where does gutting your roster and draft picks for Jimmy Butler get you though? Is IT, Jimmy and Hortford without much of a bench a championship winning team?

Tom Penny

If you can get Butler straight up for the pick, then you do it. The odds that whoever you take in a draft will turn out to be as good as Jimmy Butler is probably small, and on top of that the Celts aren't really rebuilding, Butler falls right into the same age group as IT and Horford. The problem is that Chicago will want a kings ransom for Butler, and rightfully so. I don't think it's worth it for the Celtics to give up that pick AND gut their roster/assets.

Pretty much. If it involves one Brooklyn pick and guards I'd do it. No point in trading Jaylen Brown and picks. Your essentially giving up two top 5 picks and players for Butler..since there would be more on top.

Waiting for Sixers pre-game there's this show on comcast sportsnet right now thats really interesting talking about the growth of the NBA. Definitely best NA sports league.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I think you take the known quantity every time. Despite being high picks, there's no guarantee Fultz and Brown end up as good as IT and Jimmy are no, in fact odds are they probably won't. Like I said though, that's if its pick for player straight up. The problem is the Bulls probably want the pick, Brown and more.

Yeah I agree mostly with this. Crowder, smart, ab AND the pick is absolutely gutting the roster. All to have a core of it/horford/butler in the warriors super team and LeBron era. No way that's a good trade with the contracts AB and Crowder are on. Again if it was a player as good as pg or cousins (probably wouldn't for him given his major diva issues) I'd do it, but for now butler is great but has a lot of question marks.

Tom Penny

Yeah I agree mostly with this. Crowder, smart, ab AND the pick is absolutely gutting the roster. All to have a core of it/horford/butler in the warriors super team and LeBron era. No way that's a good trade with the contracts AB and Crowder are on. Again if it was a player as good as pg or cousins (probably wouldn't for him given his major diva issues) I'd do it, but for now butler is great but has a lot of question marks.
I have no problem moving Bradley. Secondly Paul George isn't even better than Butler this year.

OldMan

Banned
I don't think the Cavs realize just how hard going forward without Love will be. He's their 1st Q spark and they're still feeling the effects of playing without 3 crucial players in Mosgov, Mo and Delly. Teamwork is crucial tonight vs the Pacers. Go Cavs.
Best,
OLDMAN

I don't think the Cavs realize just how hard going forward without Love will be. He's their 1st Q spark and they're still feeling the effects of playing without 3 crucial players in Mosgov, Mo and Delly. Teamwork is crucial tonight vs the Pacers. Go Cavs.
Best,
OLDMAN

Cavs Championships won with Delly : 1
Cavs championships won without Delly : TBD

Paul George for the top 3 pick
Go home Butler

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Best,
OLDMAN

Delly will be missed, but the Cavs defense went to utter shit once JR went down.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Bill Walton and Dickie V are literally talking about everything but the game.

Walton lamenting he went to game 5 for the Cavs vs Bob Dylan.

Then Dickie V and Walton start debating Madonna vs Lady Gaga. LoL

Sanjuro

Drummond has regressed. I don't know what his deal is. Not even dominant defensively anymore and can't even be used at the end of games.

I'll still take him with this team. I think people will expect this out of George and not get it. Butler makes the team very different entirely. George wouldn't.

Tom Penny

I'll still take him with this team. I think people will expect this out of George and not get it. Butler makes the team very different entirely. George wouldn't.

George doesn't have that killer in him anymore. Being able to stagger IT and Butler then play them together would put so much pressure on teams defensively. Free throw City.

phanphare

Banned
Bill Walton and Dickie V are literally talking about everything but the game.

Walton lamenting he went to game 5 for the Cavs vs Bob Dylan.

Then Dickie V and Walton start debating Madonna vs Lady Gaga. LoL

lol, Bill "have you ever been to a volcano" Walton

he's the man

::turns on espn::

edit: lol, they don't give a single fuck about doing play by play. this is great.

Line_HTX

Not to mention that for some reason Bill Walton is sitting on the top of his chair so he's literally towering over the stands.

This broadcast is presented by PlayStation Vue, eh? Maybe Bill Walton should money match Dickie V in fighting games! FT10, let's go!

aPBqeCd.png

Not to mention that for some reason Bill Walton is sitting on the top of his chair so he's literally towering over the stands.

This broadcast is presented by PlayStation Vue, eh? Maybe Bill Walton should money match Dickie V in fighting games! FT10, let's go!

aPBqeCd.png

Please don't nerd up this thread. This is for serious basketball discussion only.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Wow embiid has a tear in his meniscus? That sucks. I just don't see it lasting for him in this league unfortunately.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Marcus with 5 steals already. He's been racking in steals as of late. His fg% is also significantly better. He's picking his spots better and attacking more. Love him running point for this team.

Edit- ko has been off the charts as well.

Marcus with 5 steals already. He's been racking in steals as of late. His fg% is also significantly better. He's picking his spots better and attacking more. Love him running point for this team.

He'll probably never be a good shooter but I love everything else about how he plays.

phanphare

Banned
frank kaminsky has been playing really well ever since he got moved to starting center with cody out

if he can bulk up in the off season I could see him getting regular minutes at the 5

edit: lol bill walton throwing shade on melo

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
He'll probably never be a good shooter but I love everything else about how he plays.

I think he can be a decent shooter if he was better with his shot selection. He takes a ton of deep 3s and just randomly launches em too. His penetration game is where he should really focus. Get better at his handles and better at drawing contact, it'll open him up a lot more.

Top Bottom